• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 leak: Android 4.3, 2 cameras, wireless charging, July 31st [Up: 1920x1200]

Status
Not open for further replies.

suedester

Banned
you and me, you and me...

This will be my first tablet, and I don't want to wait any longer.

But the memories of the Nexus 4 launch debacle are still strong...

The original Nexus 7 launched in the UK at the same time as the US. I'd avoid buying from Google if possible though.

The original Nexus 7 launched in the UK at the same time as the US. I'd avoid buying from Google if possible though.

Yeah, you are right. If I could, I would rather get it over Amazon or a retailer, but the Nexus 4 was not available the for months. So guess I have to deal with the play store again. ^^

reKon

Banned
Hopefully this lights a fire under Apple's ass to get out the Retina iPad Mini ASAP. That will be the ultimate tablet IMO (as long as they use a A6X or better chip, no A5X please).

except that iOS is still far behind. I would love to be able to use whatever browser I want and easily share anything. Also, multi window / popup video would be great on iOS. I used pop up video when browsing GAF and watching TV simultaneously

Nice., restricted profiles.... shots fired at the Kindle. Nice to see that it is included in 4.3, cause damn I sure need it for my kids.

LeleSocho

Banned
Like I said the arguments presented are from the aspect not to it. What you've done is tell me why you like it for what you do. What I'm doing is trying to separate that from generalization. If you expect me to believe it's better for reading or web browsing you need more facts. Websites come in a variety of sizes and have different responsive thresholds. Maybe the UI is horizontal not vertical, what then? For books things like the font size and white-space matter too. Maybe you are trying to recreate the look of the page or maybe that doesn't matter (often it doesn't). It's not better for everything because you would need specify everything and then get people to agree. In most cases I will throw it back as it's a UI detail about optimization, many sites handle way more iOS traffic and therefore do not test others as thoroughly as they should (or worse browser detect). It's not different than 2x scaling being better for assets when really we should be using SVG anyway. It's sweeping laziness or negligence under the rug and arguing that we need to optimize hardware for poor practice.

There's a good biological reason 16:10 and 16:9 are widely used, it's the most pleasing ratio to the human eye and at least stationary we see more horizontally than we do vertically. There's a good argument that ergonomics is why we hold tablets in portrait rather than landscape and this might counter that. But you need a good argument for why 4:3 is a good ratio for a tablet and why we should bother optimizing to it besides Apple having a strong brand, after all a 1:1 ratio would get you the most real estate area to dimensional size, so why shouldn't Apple do that instead?

more facts? Like the fact that almost every ebook reader do not use a 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio? Like the fact that you can go on any forum or ask anyone who used both types of tablets and see how a good chunk of people find awkward using 16:9 compared to 4:3 (even if you know websites has been optimized for widescreen displays for 10 years since we had them on pc)?
But then again you are insisting on a specific type of category for things that are general purpose devices, 4:3 screens are not optimal for 16:9 videos? well no shit but it's a temporary and very tiny drawback compared to its main competitor more than ever when all the other stuff those devices are capable of works better on 4:3 screens.
I would buy a Surface 4:3 in an heartbeat for example if they would make it.

DieH@rd

Banned
20130724-09415285--IMG_1154.JPG

20130724-09194474--IMG_1060.JPG

20130724-09163513--IMG_1045.JPG

20130724-09424097--IMG_1157.JPG

+1h more battery life than with old N7

U2NUMB

Very tempting to jump to the new one.. someone at work just offered me 150 for my launch day Nexus 7 from 2012, easily looks like its worth 80 bucks to upgrade.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So the top and bottom bezels aren't actually much bigger, they just look like they are because the side ones are smaller.

TxdoHawk

Thinking about selling my Nexus 10 for the new Nexus 7. Always felt my Nexus 10 was a bit too large.

IMO it's very dependent on what you want to do with it. I love my Mini for Kindle book reading or casual browsing, but definitely miss having a "full-size" tablet now and then.

Very tempting to jump to the new one.. someone at work just offered me 150 for my launch day Nexus 7 from 2012, easily looks like its worth 80 bucks to upgrade.

That's a no-brainer, unless you don't want to rip the person off. Staples was selling 16GB models brand new for $150 two weeks ago.

MercuryLS

Banned
except that iOS is still far behind. I would love to be able to use whatever browser I want and easily share anything. Also, multi window / popup video would be great on iOS. I used pop up video when browsing GAF and watching TV simultaneously

There are some major deficiencies with iOS, no doubt. For me quality apps matters more than anything and iOS still has Android beat. Especially for tablet apps.

You're joking, right? Do not ever buy Toshiba tablets. They are shit, this is coming from first hand experience with them. If people thought the N7 was cheap material wise....
why would you think that was a joke? those Toshibas are high spec, who is talking about build quality? people love the HTC One!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom