• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 leak: Android 4.3, 2 cameras, wireless charging, July 31st [Up: 1920x1200]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanKZ

Is there any chance that the new 7 is also going to launch in the European or the German play store today?

I doubt it. I mean, those people with units already are probably just accidental. It'll probably be out this time next week. The upside is, because ASUS makes the N7, they tend to deliver to major EU stores. I'll be buying mine off eBuyer here in the UK as they ship faster than Google do.

solarus

the spotify app is shit anyway. making it 'tablet optimized' would just make it tablet optimized shit.
Well that's too bad, spotify on my ipad is great.
This being a bigger nexus 4 in terms of specs is quite underwhelming but fine for what I'll be using it for I guess. Plus google is focused on optimisation now which is good.

Considering how buttery smooth my n4 has been, a slightly peppier and larger n4 in n7 clothing is not a bad thing at all. I have a feeling it'll age better than Tegra3 devices have.

Protome

I think i'm pretty much 100% getting the Nexus 7 at this point. Although I have a question for you guys. I know that 7 inch tablets are not ideal for reading Magazines on, but if I were going to do it anyway which app would be best for it? Are the Google Play magazines good, or does Zinio or something else do it better?

LeleSocho

Banned
No you don't. The letter boxes are much smaller because 16:10 adds pixels on 16:9, 4:3 needs heavy letterboxing to show the full frame (and becomes much worse as the screen becomes wider). But also on the iPad Mini you won't just get letterboxing but 720p content has to be scaled down. They both have the same mono audio problem of portrait speaker orientation (which is fixed on this new model plus several other 7" tablets).

Also I don't think a site's use of media queries is in anyway a justification of hardware and it's really bad people actually picked up that line from Apple's PR.

That's total bullshit and you know it, i said 16:9 but it applies even on 16:10 because every content on the nexus 7 can be showed at least at the same size on iPad mini. If you want to see a fullscreen video on n7 you can see the same video at the same size on the iPad mini as you can see here:
dZavevx.jpg

So the only "problem" is the lower resolution which:
A) I already mentioned and aknowledged before your post
B) Will be non existent as soon as they release the iPad with retina display

It is nowhere near a "terrible movie watching experience" like you say or want it to make it look like.

Why do I have a feeling that when this goes up on play store it's going to be a nightmare trying to get an order in. That said, anyone know what time the event is today?

U2NUMB

So as someone who picked up the original Nexus 7 and has enjoyed it but the performance seems to be a bit meh at times is this a big upgrade from that? I have no other android devices so I will upgrade because I love the 7 inch size but ONLY if compared to the original it will be a big step up in performance.

Those of you who know Android devices is this a big step up from the original?

TxdoHawk

Considering how buttery smooth my n4 has been, a slightly peppier and larger n4 in n7 clothing is not a bad thing at all. I have a feeling it'll age better than Tegra3 devices have.

Time will tell, I guess.

Every time I buy an Android device I think "Yeah, this is more than acceptable speed for the foreseeable future", and every time I buy a new one I think "Man, this is like being shunted into the fast lane. How did I put up with my last phone?"

Diminishing returns and all that, but it seems the endless pace of Android OS updates brings about an endless thirst for processing power.

So as someone who picked up the original Nexus 7 and has enjoyed it but the performance seems to be a bit meh at times is this a big upgrade from that? I have no other android devices so I will upgrade because I love the 7 inch size but ONLY if compared to the original it will be a big step up in performance.

Those of you who know Android devices is this a big step up from the original?

If performance is a concern, I'd wait a week or two for detailed analysis and hands-on. As many have stated, there were some questionable choices made with storage on the original hardware, and we don't know if they've been corrected.

U2NUMB

If performance is a concern, I'd wait a week or two for detailed analysis and hands-on. As many have stated, there were some questionable choices made with storage on the original hardware, and we don't know if they've been corrected.

Got it.. thanks.. appreciate it!

reKon

Banned
Lol at all those who are worried about performance on this for now, especially since we have a bunch of devices currently out right now which the exact same combo. In terms of operation of android, yes this will be smooth enough. In terms of graphically intense games, no this won't be good enough to play the most demanding at a high framerate to years from now. The only questionable thing is if Asus resolved the stupid storage issue that slows down the device

Nicktendo86

I would HOPE that as it has very similar internals to the N4 that the isues would have been resolved. I must say though that my girlfriend's N7 is still as fast as the day she got it...

4.3 is the big thing though. Benchmarks and real world usage for the leaked version for the N4 state the the phone is smoother/faster and battery like is MUCH improved. I'd wager the new N7 will be buttery smooth and will hopefully remain so, unless KLP kills it like 4.2 killed my GNexus.

TxdoHawk

The only questionable thing is if Asus resolved the stupid storage issue that slows down the device

To be fair, this is a pretty annoying "only thing", and a legitimate concern since the system will only run as fast as the slowest piece in the pipeline. (I'm assuming the downloadable "fix" will work here as well if it this N7 suffers the same fate, but I think people can be forgiven for not wanting to have to perform periodic housekeeping on their tablet's storage space.)

Anyway, I'm sure as soon as these things hit public hands, we'll have a quick answer.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
The only questionable thing is if Asus resolved the stupid storage issue that slows down the device

Well if the performance gap from N7.0 to N7.1 is the same as Transformer Prime->N7.0 then we can except great things in terms of IO. The prime's nand was so slow it made any app using even some io almost unusable. What a piece of shit the TF200 was, it's incredible...

Somnid

That's total bullshit and you know it, i said 16:9 but it applies even on 16:10 because every content on the nexus 7 can be showed at least at the same size on iPad mini. If you want to see a fullscreen video on n7 you can see the same video at the same size on the iPad mini as you can see here:

So the only "problem" is the lower resolution which:
A) I already mentioned and aknowledged before your post
B) Will be non existent as soon as they release the iPad with retina display

It is nowhere near a "terrible movie watching experience" like you say or want it to make it look like.

Why did you quote problem? Resolution scaling (both directions) is the worst thing you can do to video, you always want native resolution. The visual size of the frame doesn't matter, that's literally the reason to own bigger tablets, they display things larger but at the same resolution. In fact the retina iPad Mini will have awkward scaling necessitated by the screen ratio they chose but also won't offer a tangible screen upgrade over something like this.

Basically it comes down to Apple choosing that size and aspect and you working from it to make an argument of why it's great rather than understanding the basic reason why we choose certain aspect ratios (hint: 1.6 is the golden ratio).

hoverX

Are there any other android tablets with similar specs? My original nexus 7 is a piece of shit and ill never buy another asus product again. But Dat Screen resolution...

Somnid

Are there any other android tablets with similar specs? My original nexus 7 is a piece of shit and ill never buy another asus product again. But Dat Screen resolution...

There are some 8-10 inchers, but for smaller tablets you may need to wait for new Kindles, Kobos and iPad Minis most of which will be launching this fall. This is simply the first of the 2013 tablet season.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Does Amazon usually have these day 1 too? Still on the fence about selling my iPad 3 to a friend and ordering a 7.

EDIT:
Also I see a lot of people saying the original Nexus 7 got very bad over time. Think we'll have to worry about that with this one?

e_i

Can we preorder the Nexus 7 in store (Best Buy) (specifically the 32gb one) today? I'm passing by after work. Or is the 32GB model only going to be available through Google?

Baleoce

Any chance we'll hear about the successor to the Galaxy Note 10.1 at this event too? Or is this solely a google nexus presentation?

Baleoce

This is a Google event. Why would they announce a Samsung product?

Did you skip the part where I asked whether or not it was a google presentation? I don't know how these tech events work, whether more than one company is present. Also it's extra confusing for me because Samsung have manufactured quite a few models in the Google Nexus line previously.

BFIB

Any chance we'll hear about the successor to the Galaxy Note 10.1 at this event too? Or is this solely a google nexus presentation?

Nope, odds are this is to announce the new Nexus 7, and a walkthrough on 4.3.

Maybe a surprise announcement for the new Nexus 10, but my guess is that will roll out in November.

MercuryLS

Banned
Hopefully this lights a fire under Apple's ass to get out the Retina iPad Mini ASAP. That will be the ultimate tablet IMO (as long as they use a A6X or better chip, no A5X please).

solarus

Why did you quote problem? Resolution scaling (both directions) is the worst thing you can do to video, you always want native resolution. The visual size of the frame doesn't matter, that's literally the reason to own bigger tablets, they display things larger but at the same resolution. In fact the retina iPad Mini will have awkward scaling necessitated by the screen ratio they chose but also won't offer a tangible screen upgrade over something like this.

Basically it comes down to Apple choosing that size and aspect and you working from it to make an argument of why it's great rather than understanding the basic reason why we choose certain aspect ratios (hint: 1.6 is the golden ratio).
If the only thing you are going to do is watch videos then yeah 16:9 is ideal but guess what it does not mean it is terrible on the ipad, te black borders are not a deal breaker. 4:3 is far superior for tablets in every other use case, the nexus is not wide enough during portrait use and not deep enough during landscape. It is not really big enough for a tablet sized experiece in general and those onscreen controls take away from the already scarce screen space. The extra space the mini has is quite significant, when i get te nexus i will compare then for you so you can quit wasting posts here showing how much you dislike the ipad. Again, very excited for this thing but it will not be my primary tablet, especially with the barren tablet app selection on android. If you want to argue that upscaled smartphone apps are fine then go ahead, that's your preference.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm selling my iPad 3 for this, anyone sell a tablet on Ebay? I've heard some horror stories but the iPad 3 32GB are going for $350+ there.

BFIB

I'm selling my iPad 3 for this, anyone sell a tablet on Ebay? I've heard some horror stories but the iPad 3 32GB are going for $350+ there.

I'd try Craigslist first. Never had an issue selling my Apple products that way. Just make sure you note the price is firm.

Husker86

Try Craigslist for ~$300. Calculate your fees from eBay and try to get price - fees from Craigslist.

Depending on where you live, you might have to end up using eBay. I have had to abandon CL a few times when all I got were trades and lowballs.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'll give cragislist a shot I guess. Never sold there either. Amazon is giving around $275, so that's not a terrible fallback. Would still pay for my Nexus.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'll give cragislist a shot I guess. Never sold there either. Amazon is giving around $275, so that's not a terrible fallback. Would still pay for my Nexus.

Honestly you should be able to get around $450-500 for a 32gb iPad on Craigslist. The iPad holds its value really well.

Hopefully this lights a fire under Apple's ass to get out the Retina iPad Mini ASAP. That will be the ultimate tablet IMO (as long as they use a A6X or better chip, no A5X please).

Agreed. The ipad mini is the best size and aspect ratio for my needs, I've just wanted a higher resolution screen. Give me that and I am a happy guy!

LeleSocho

Banned

Because it really is not that big of a problem even a good chunk of enthusiast is not that bothered by it otherwise for example all the gamers (the userbase often collide) should be mad as fuck because almost all the games on consoles are not native resolution of their 1080p or even 720p screens and are subject all the times of up/downscaling.
Also i hope you are not serious when you say "not tangible upgrade" whatever you are watching letterboxed or not you are seeing 4x the content over what you have now.

Also even you like hundreds of thousands people will agree that content consuming for everything aside video is worse on widescreen tablets this without bringing in the golden ratio like it is the solution of all the problems of displays, or maybe i'm wrong and the iPad and the Kindle are awful products and terrible on what they do because they don't use "teh 1.618 ratio!!!11ELEVEN"

MercuryLS

Banned
Agreed. The ipad mini is the best size and aspect ratio for my needs, I've just wanted a higher resolution screen. Give me that and I am a happy guy!

I really wanted to love the iPad mini, but that resolution just doesn't cut it. God, an iPad mini with a retina screen is going to be eye meltingly awesome. I can't wait to read my magazine subscriptions on that thing.

peeps, its a mid-range tablet. if you want high end, get DAT TOSHIBA EXCITE WRITE

You're joking, right? Do not ever buy Toshiba tablets. They are shit, this is coming from first hand experience with them. If people thought the N7 was cheap material wise....

Is today's conference being streamed somewhere?

http://live.theverge.com/google-android-chrome-sundar-pichai-summer-announcement/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZzS6BxHEns
https://developers.google.com/live/

I really wanted to love the iPad mini, but that resolution just doesn't cut it. God, an iPad mini with a retina screen is going to be eye meltingly awesome. I can't wait to read my magazine subscriptions on that thing.

Agreed 100%

I still want an android tablet for my emulation needs, an iPad Mini with retina display would be my main device. :D

Why do I feel the urge to buy the Nexus 7 even though i have the Nexus 4? I wanted a tablet, but do I want to invest $250 for more over twice the screen estate and larger battery? I won't be happy if it heats up during normal use..

BFIB

Why do I feel the urge to buy the Nexus 7 even though i have the Nexus 4? I wanted a tablet, but do I want to invest $250 for more over twice the screen estate and larger battery? I won't be happy if it heats up during normal use..

I was in the same boat for the longest time. "I have an iPhone. I don't need a tablet."

I bought the first Kindle Fire just to give the tablet world a shot. Ended up really liking it, and moved to the N7, and am now on the Nexus 10. You may think its the same, but if you plan on reading comics, or magazines, or doing some youtube browsing, etc. you'll realize how much better having the N7 will be.

Somnid

If the only thing you are going to do is watch videos then yeah 16:9 is ideal but guess what it does not mean it is terrible on the ipad, te black borders are not a deal breaker. 4:3 is far superior for tablets in every other use case, the nexus is not wide enough during portrait use and not deep enough during landscape. It is not really big enough for a tablet sized experiece in general and those onscreen controls take away from the already scarce screen space. The extra space the mini has is quite significant, when i get te nexus i will compare then for you so you can quit wasting posts here showing how much you dislike the ipad. Again, very excited for this thing but it will not be my primary tablet, especially with the barren tablet app selection on android. If you want to argue that upscaled smartphone apps are fine then go ahead, that's your preference.

Like I said the arguments presented are from the aspect not to it. What you've done is tell me why you like it for what you do. What I'm doing is trying to separate that from generalization. If you expect me to believe it's better for reading or web browsing you need more facts. Websites come in a variety of sizes and have different responsive thresholds. Maybe the UI is horizontal not vertical, what then? For books things like the font size and white-space matter too. Maybe you are trying to recreate the look of the page or maybe that doesn't matter (often it doesn't). It's not better for everything because you would need specify everything and then get people to agree. In most cases I will throw it back as it's a UI detail about optimization, many sites handle way more iOS traffic and therefore do not test others as thoroughly as they should (or worse browser detect). It's not different than 2x scaling being better for assets when really we should be using SVG anyway. It's sweeping laziness or negligence under the rug and arguing that we need to optimize hardware for poor practice.

There's a good biological reason 16:10 and 16:9 are widely used, it's the most pleasing ratio to the human eye and at least stationary we see more horizontally than we do vertically. There's a good argument that ergonomics is why we hold tablets in portrait rather than landscape and this might counter that. But you need a good argument for why 4:3 is a good ratio for a tablet and why we should bother optimizing to it besides Apple having a strong brand, after all a 1:1 ratio would get you the most real estate area to dimensional size, so why shouldn't Apple do that instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom