• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 leak: Android 4.3, 2 cameras, wireless charging, July 31st [Up: 1920x1200]

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
I love that on a budget google and asus can put a decent display on their tablets (ie the thing you spend.... doing everything on.)

But samsung is still putting out tablets with freaking 720p on a 10inch screen >_<;

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I can potentially make money from selling my iPad 3 and getting this. May do it. Will this thing stay snappy for a year or two based on rumored specs?

I love that on a budget google and asus can put a decent display on their tablets (ie the thing you spend.... doing everything on.)

But samsung is still putting out tablets with freaking 720p on a 10inch screen >_<;

At least they didn't put a 480x800 screen on a 4.7" phone like Nokia ... lawl.

Yeah I don't get that either with Samsung. Seems they only push their phones

markot

Banned
The last place you should cut corners on a freaking device that is driven by the screen, is the screen, be it laptop or tablet or phone >.< it annoys me that 1386 is still a thing on 15inch laptops...

Specs from Android Police:

As expected, the new Nexus 7 has a 1920x1200 screen (reported as 1200x1824 because of the on-screen nav bar) That should look great on a 7-inch device &#8211; it works out to 320 PPI. Inside is a Snapdragon S4 Pro quad-core clocked at 1.5GHz. If that sounds familiar, it's probably because that's exactly what the Nexus 4 runs. Something else the new N7 and N4 have in common is RAM. Yes, the rumors were off in this case. The new Nexus 7 only has 2GB of RAM, not the magical 4GB that product label seemed to indicate.

If we are really going to do this shit, might as well compare them where it matters.
Bottom: thousands of fantastic tablet optimised apps
Top: very few optimised to tablet size besides google's offerings, if you don't care about that and don't mind upscaled smartphone apps then good for you but don't even try spinning this any other way. Spotify does not even have a tablet optimised app for android, no one gives enough of a shit to make them but I know most people here are fine with upscale phone apps, which I guess is ok seeing as the screen isn't really that big.
The poor tablet app selection and size are why I can't replace my mini with this, I really want to use it to fuck around with though and for emulation, can hook it up to my tv.

the spotify app is shit anyway. making it 'tablet optimized' would just make it tablet optimized shit.

The temptation is there, but I can wait until the next version of the 10-incher is announced and then I'll decide what my upgrade path will be.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The GPU has to be configured differently than the Nexus 4 since the resolution is double the amount, yet the performance is similar.

kevm3

Then again, Samsung also put out the Nexus 10, which had the best dpi during it's generation of tablets. I'd prefer a 1080p in the galaxy note tablets, but I can accept it for now due to the wacom digitizer. Hopefully that changes with the next refresh of notes.

indeed. Samsung's Tablet line has been bullshit two years running... now those new Toshibas... man, if only they had dev support and unlocked bootloaders!

At least they didn't put a 480x800 screen on a 4.7" phone like Nokia ... lawl.
indeed. they put it on a 5" phone instead.

No money in it, not without subsidies. Amazon poisoned the waters.
yeah, turning a profit is a thing too...

Schlep

Got really excited and then disappointed with the specs within the span of a few minutes. Part of the reason I feel like my N7 sees reduced use now is because of how it lags between resets and is nowhere near as fast as my S4. I want my tablet to feel noticeably faster than my phone. I'll wait for the updated N10 as well.

Blastoise

Banned
Can I ask previous nexus 7 owners something...

I sold my iPad mini cause the screen was not up to my liking. But it was my go to comic reader. How is reading comic books on a 16:10 screen?

I prefer to use tablets in the portrait orientation.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I already pre-ordered the 16GB version from best Buy with Express Shipping (July 30th delivery); if Google announces that it's available for shipping from the Play Store today, I'll cancel the BBY pre-order.

I'm debating whether to pre-order or not..

Sure it has identical internal hardware compared to the Nexus 4, but the Nexus 7 has more than twice the screen estate and probably more battery as well. I wonder if the Nexus 7 handles heat better than the Nexus 4?

I just want to read Harry Potter on a handheld without heating my hands..

I got the nexus 10 at lauch and I have to say I'm pretty unhappy with it to be honest. I find it too heavy and (this may seem like a strange complaint) it feels too expensive to just leave lying about on my coffee table or to trow it in my bag.

So I'm thinking of selling the 10 and getting either the new 7. The screen resolution is all important for me but how do people find the the small bezel on the mini. Does it mean your fingers cover the screen when holding it? I think I would prefer the lighter and bigger screen mini but I love android and moving from the iphone to Nexus 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom