• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

As of the C80 models, Asus changed the manufacturing process slightly by.... wait for it... removing two screws :D

The theory is, all the screws put too much tension on the PCB / screen causing it to lift and in some cases things to crack. Teardowns of the C80 models that generally seem to have much less issues reveal that there are two screws missing.

C60 and C70 users can remove the screws themselves if they are so inclined - there are guides on XDA.

Emily Chu

Banned
As of the C80 models, Asus changed the manufacturing process slightly by.... wait for it... removing two screws :D

The theory is, all the screws put too much tension on the PCB / screen causing it to lift and in some cases things to crack. Teardowns of the C80 models that generally seem to have much less issues reveal that there are two screws missing.

C60 and C70 users can remove the screws themselves if they are so inclined - there are guides on XDA.

Heh c80k here had it for about a month now zero issues
Knock on dat wood.

hmm both the N7 and Gnex only has 10 point touch

the 11th "one" doesn't work.

This case, along with other book type cases, were my immediate first picks when looking into it, I just prioritized the slim factor in the end. Clever and customizable, I'll probably pick one up later on. I read good things about that particular one you're referencing.

Yes I'm definitely considering this case. Thank you for mentioning slim factor though, that reminds me I should check out slim sleeves as well.

btw I really want to check my serial but my box is buried somewhere. I'd guess like a C70 though.

Dunlop

Is there a step I am missing in order to copy files over?

I plug in via USB and get the notifier in Windows 7 (choose to explore device). I can then only see the folder directories if I open my case so the device leaves hibernation. Then after a certain period I need to replug it if I left it idle too long

sca2511

Yes I'm definitely considering this case. Thank you for mentioning slim factor though, that reminds me I should check out slim sleeves as well.

btw I really want to check my serial but my box is buried somewhere. I'd guess like a C70 though.

For the slim cases, Emily Chu and I picked up the Poetic Slimline Portfolio Case. It had to go through three revisions, but the final revision is fantastic. If you're unable to get that, I believe there are some sellers on eBay that offer a similar product in different colors.

71GGREUyjUL._AA1500_.jpg

For the slim cases, Emily Chu and I picked up the Poetic Slimline Portfolio Case. It had to go through three revisions, but the final revision is fantastic. If you're unable to get that, I believe there are some sellers on eBay that offer a similar product in different colors.

71GGREUyjUL._AA1500_.jpg

niiice. I've been looking for something similar.

the pedantic me still hopes for something that snaps on the side of the n7 without covering its whole arse.

Everyone be aware that the promotion to get $25 free credit when purchasing a Nexus 7 is ending 9/30. So if you are looking to pick one up, do it as soon as possible so you don't miss out.

I picked mine up on October 1st and received the $25 credit.

What part of the world are you in? Perhaps it was still 9/30 where the Google servers were when you activated it. I'm just going by what Google announced. lol :p

I picked it up around 1:00 pm EST (I'm in Toronto) and started using it around 2:30 - 3:00 pm via my iPhone's mobile hotspot. lol.

I picked mine up on October 1st and received the $25 credit.

I bought mine on the 29th and it should be delivered today, I didn't get any confirmation from Google about the $25 even though I bought it from the Play Store.

How'd you guys activate your $25?

EDIT: I already have a Google Wallet account with credit cards verified on it

womp

I bought mine on the 29th and it should be delivered today, I didn't get any confirmation from Google about the $25 even though I bought it from the Play Store.

How'd you guys activate your $25?

EDIT: I already have a Google Wallet account with credit cards verified on it

As soon as you successfully sign into your new Nexus 7 you get the credit in your account automatically.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mine should be arriving today or tomorrow. :D

Just got it! Fits awesomely and is much thinner than my old case, which gives the whole thing a nice dense feel! Also, the smart cover functionality works like a charm!

I can't quite figure out how to make it into a stand though. >.> I keep thinking I'm doing it wrong.

Edit- No I got it, thanks to the pic above. :D

womp

I tried peeling that off when I first got it too. Then I realized that it was supposed to stay on.

Supposed to stay on? I always remove them. Half the time they get so frayed over time from usage that they are peeling off eventually anyhoo.

Mine came off with no effort and it looks cleaner back there for it too. :D

If I want my S/N etc I still have my box and it's on the inside back as well.

Tess3ract

Banned
Since there isn't a tablet thread and this is the most popular:

I want a 10" tablet, and ideally something that comes with stock Jelly Bean, or one I can hack in a custom rom/root access in it.

I have an SGS3 so I would like something as powerful as that. Any suggestions?

BIGWORM

I have a C80 with screen lift on the left edge. I opened it up and loosened the two screws of the left slightly, but the lift is still there? I bought the tablet at Walmart a little over 3 weeks ago. Is there anything I can do to fix the lift?

Since there isn't a tablet thread and this is the most popular:

I want a 10" tablet, and ideally something that comes with stock Jelly Bean, or one I can hack in a custom rom/root access in it.

I have an SGS3 so I would like something as powerful as that. Any suggestions?

Unless you get a Nexus device you aren't getting stock Jelly Bean. That said, you can still get the Motorola Xoom which is the truiest *Stock* Android experience with Jelly Bean.

OR

Any 10 inch tablet such as the Asus Transformer Prime, Transformer Infinity or the TF300T with Nvidia Tegra 3 SoC and install a rom, giving you a perfect Jelly Bean experience.

You can PM me if you got other questions but I'd recommend heading over to http://www.xda-developers.com/ and looking for any answers you have cause simply just about any and every question you have about Android has been answered there.

I'll add my two cents now with your answer: I have 2 Nexus 7's, one for me and my wife. I've had a TeamEOS JB rom on my Xoom and overclocked to 1.7 and it's still a beast. It's still one of the best Android tablets out there.

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm wary about getting a motorolla product.

Also is it powerful? I know I have a flagship phone but I'm wary about getting a tablet that performs less than my phone does. I mean, this phone is a 1.5ghz dual core and has 2gb of ram, lol.

ChanHuk

Banned
I have a C80 with screen lift on the left edge. I opened it up and loosened the two screws of the left slightly, but the lift is still there? I bought the tablet at Walmart a little over 3 weeks ago. Is there anything I can do to fix the lift?

Return/exchange it.

davidnic

71GGREUyjUL._AA1500_.jpg

Well that sucks, I ordered it but it grand total is $43.00, so much for a cheap case never ordering from Amazon again. But that see how much goes on my credit card. :(

I'm wary about getting a motorolla product.

Also is it powerful? I know I have a flagship phone but I'm wary about getting a tablet that performs less than my phone does. I mean, this phone is a 1.5ghz dual core and has 2gb of ram, lol.

Get a Transformer Infinity. The Xoom is garbage. Terrible screen, heavy, Tegra 2.

sca2511

Well that sucks, I ordered it but it grand total is $43.00, so much for a cheap case never ordering from Amazon again. But that see how much goes on my credit card. :(

43? Wow. Not in the US I assume? Some people (out of the US) opted to look on eBay for similar cases, like this for cheaper. Looks a tad bit thicker and I'm unsure of the quality.

Get a Transformer Infinity. The Xoom is garbage. Terrible screen, heavy, Tegra 2.

I wouldn't say garbage as that's reserved for Acer's tablets.

If you don't mind ponying up for a Transformer Infinity Pad, do it you won't regret it. Hell I'd recommend it, it's the best Android 10 inch tablet available currently however your quest was regarding stock Jelly Bean.

Even still happiness is just a flash away ;)

Tess3ract

Banned
Well ideally I'd like stock JB, but I even if I can get JB by going to XDA and downloading a custom rom, that's cool too. I root any and all devices I own. 8)

Dunlop

While cool to show off, the amount of data that is known about you is fucking scary.

Google now gave me the best route to my office...but I have been working out of a different office about 10 km away since I got my Nexus last week so there is no way it was off of GPS patterns

womp

I need some opinions...Has anyone shoved Codename Android onto their 7, and how has it been? I love it on my GNex but have been hesitant to put a custom ROM on my 7 because it just runs so well already and I didn't really see a need for it as much as I do on my phone.

vdlow

Is there any problem in using a phone charger (one that is not an adaptor for the usb cable) instead of the one that comes with the Nexus 7?

I'm seeing some ever-so-slight screen raising on the left side of the screen. I would have never noticed it if the interwebs didn't make me OCD about it.

Does it get worse? I'm on a C80.

I'm seeing some ever-so-slight screen raising on the left side of the screen. I would have never noticed it if the interwebs didn't make me OCD about it.

Does it get worse? I'm on a C80.

I just checked mine and I think it might be the same, left side too. It's only a tiny bit higher though so I'm not sure if I should be worried or not.

Top Bottom