• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

j-wood

When you swipe away apps from the recent menu, does it actually close the app? Or does it only remove it from the list?

Does anyone know why the Play Library won't allow you to import epub books from an outside source?

This seems such a bizarre thing for Google to do, even Apple lets you import into iBooks

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Didn't he get banned forever?

I dunno, did he? I talked with him on G+ the other day.

When you swipe away apps from the recent menu, does it actually close the app? Or does it only remove it from the list?

A little of both. It takes the system a little bit to "wind down" the app, and it doesn't end it if it has services running in the background IIRC.

Holy cow. I didn't know that since I don't have an iOS device. I've been using Moon+ Pro on my Nexus for non-DRM books (Smashwords, out-of-copyright, etc.). I wish I could have them all in one place.

Yeah I just bought the HumbleBundle of sci fi books that are all DRM free and it bothers me that I can't add it to my play books, I love the widget that displays your library so it would be cool to see them on there

Levi

Banned
Does anyone know why the Play Library won't allow you to import epub books from an outside source?

This seems such a bizarre thing for Google to do, even Apple lets you import into iBooks

I use the Kindle app since it does have this feature--I use Calibre to convert non-DRMed books to .mobi files, and Amazon's "Send to Kindle" PC app to add the titles to my Kindle library, which can then be downloaded to all of my devices, and the page I'm on even gets synchronized between all of them.

buhdeh

2 weeks later and this is my tablet of choice now. iPad is now with my dad. Loooove the Nexus 7. The only things I could want from it are a better screen (soooo much color banding) and a stronger battery. Both of which the iPad just destroys the Nexus 7 in.

wetwired

Picked this up yesterday. I loving it so far. Any recommended apps? So far I've got these few which I used a lot on my galaxy nexus.

SwiftKey 3
A comic reader
Es file explorer
7 zipper
Dice player
Facebook

Any thoughts on the rumor that the 32gb unit will be replacing the 16gb? I'm may return mine (it's still in the first 14 days) and wait for a 32gb if it's going to be the same price.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Well, I'm going to be picking up my N7 probably in about a week and a half when I get paid. I was going to buy it already but some things came up.

I already bought the poetic case, an OTG cable, a super tiny USB stick meant for net books (it's like the size of a finger nail), and I'm all set with all the accessories I need.

I've decided that I'm not going to stress about what google may or may not do in December which is what the rumors I've heard is the timeframe for the gnex line shakeup.

I'm not going after a $99 N7 at 8gb since supposedly it will have a shittier screen, and if the 16gb goes down to $200 I'm not gonna throw myself off a cliff into the sea with regret.

Now, I will feel bad if like 1.5-2 months after I buy one I could have gotten 32gb for $250 but as you guys know, with mobile tech there's never really a great time to buy. There's always something better and cheaper coming in 2 months.

I'd probably be fine with 8gb since I can keep my music and movies on my USB. I'll likely go with 16gb though, for games and apps.

There's a whole display full if n7's at my friendly neighborhood Walmart but honestly I've never seen them sell one. The case is always full and I have my suspicions that it is always full with the stock they got back at launch.

Ideally I'd prefer to buy one at a retail store due to having a faster return policy but I want to make sure that I get the latest revision and I assume ordering directly from google is the best way to ensure that.

If you're going to buy one in store, don't make it Wal-Mart. I'd rather go to a place where you can take the time to go through the serial numbers and they know why you're doing it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
If you're going to buy one in store, don't make it Wal-Mart. I'd rather go to a place where you can take the time to go through the serial numbers and they know why you're doing it.
Yeah no waybill getting one there, but it's the only place in my town with them.

Google for me, I reckon.

2 weeks later and this is my tablet of choice now. iPad is now with my dad. Loooove the Nexus 7. The only things I could want from it are a better screen (soooo much color banding) and a stronger battery. Both of which the iPad just destroys the Nexus 7 in.

I have sold my 16gb iPad 3rd gen for $400. Bought the Nexus 7 16gb for $150 (deal from work). N7 does everything I need. I agree about the iPad screen and battery though. I was considering a Mini but with a $$299 potential start price (and potentially only 8gb to start) it made more sense to go this route. Also, I can use that extra money towards a Wii U.

Angst

Why wouldn't this be pushed out all at once, out of curiosity? There aren't any carrier issues or different hardware to deal with.
If there are any issues with the update I imagine it's cheaper to replace 5 k bricked devices than replacing every sold device. Server strain is also an issue.

DagsJT

Picked this up yesterday. I loving it so far. Any recommended apps? So far I've got these few which I used a lot on my galaxy nexus.

SwiftKey 3
A comic reader
Es file explorer
7 zipper
Dice player
Facebook

Pocket Viewer (for comics)
Solid Explorer
Skydrive
BS Player
MX Player
AdAway (needs root)
Friendcaster
Tweet Lanes

BBC Good Food has just been released and all books are free for a limited time so worth grabbing that now.

Games:

Bad Piggies
Beach Buggy Blitz
Dungeon Village
Granny Smith
Gyro
Monsters Ate My Condo
Rayman Jungle Run
Rebuild
Ski Safari
The Curse
Tiny Bang Story

Dunlop

This is easily one of my best purchases in a while.

I'm hoping the $99 tablet is a reality, I will sell my kids 3DS's (that are never used) and pick up 2 of these

Not because they keep stealing my N7 or anything....

Anyone in Canada get the update?

This is easily one of my best purchases in a while.

I'm hoping the $99 tablet is a reality, I will sell my kids 3DS's (that are never used) and pick up 2 of these

Not because they keep stealing my N7 or anything....

Anyone in Canada get the update?

I haven't received the update yet. Going to just do it manually tonight if it doesn't go through.

My nexus has been slowing down lie crazy. Apps taking longer to open. A lot of the time says it isn't responding and if I want to shut it down or wait. I have a stock 16 gig launch model with about 6 gigs free. Any clue what the problem may be?

My nexus has been slowing down lie crazy. Apps taking longer to open. A lot of the time says it isn't responding and if I want to shut it down or wait. I have a stock 16 gig launch model with about 6 gigs free. Any clue what the problem may be?

At any point did you exceed the 5GB free mark? Even if you fill the storage and then remove it again, the space bug persists until reformat. If this is the case, then wait for the update and see if it resolves.

Also, are you running a custom kernel?

Mordeccai

Pocket Viewer (for comics)
Solid Explorer
Skydrive
BS Player
MX Player
AdAway (needs root)
Friendcaster
Tweet Lanes

BBC Good Food has just been released and all books are free for a limited time so worth grabbing that now.

Games:

Bad Piggies
Beach Buggy Blitz
Dungeon Village
Granny Smith
Gyro
Monsters Ate My Condo
Rayman Jungle Run
Rebuild
Ski Safari
The Curse
Tiny Bang Story

Whats this about free Good Food stuff? Just went into the play store and typed in "good food" and "bbc good food" and found nothing for free :/

DagsJT

Whats this about free Good Food stuff? Just went into the play store and typed in "good food" and "bbc good food" and found nothing for free :/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bbc.gfrtact&feature=nav_result

BBC Good Food - Recipes

***GET ALL AVAILABLE COOKBOOKS IN THIS APP FOR FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY - USUALLY £1.49 EACH***
Whether you’re looking for weekday inspiration, trying to cook the perfect steak or attempting your own homemade ice cream, get cooking with the new BBC Good Food - Recipes, tips and cooking tools app. This app lets you buy and store all the existing BBC Good Food cookbook apps, and organise your favourite recipes and shopping lists in one place.

I own my N7 since Saturday and I have to say it's a really neat device. It's my first Android device and I have not really tapped into its potential so far, but it's made a really good first impression.
Pretty amazing how that thing came together for the price they are selling it at.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bbc.gfrtact&feature=nav_result

BBC Good Food - Recipes

***GET ALL AVAILABLE COOKBOOKS IN THIS APP FOR FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY - USUALLY £1.49 EACH***
Whether you’re looking for weekday inspiration, trying to cook the perfect steak or attempting your own homemade ice cream, get cooking with the new BBC Good Food - Recipes, tips and cooking tools app. This app lets you buy and store all the existing BBC Good Food cookbook apps, and organise your favourite recipes and shopping lists in one place.

Hey this app is pretty awesome

Alex

Some fellow from Google said they fixed the storage issue with 16GB Nexus 7's and slowing down to an unusable crawl when you start to fill it up in 4.1.2

Seems to be... partially true, but seems kind of makeshifty. It just behaves oddly now, like if I fill it up, it chugs, but then if I remove a few simple files, say a few songs it'll speed back up.

Then if I put anything else on, slows back down.

This device would have been perfect for me if I wasn't constantly fighting with random shit. Cheap for a reason, I suppose, I cannot imagine the kind of slipshod builds that'll come with a 99 dollar model.

Nakazato

BBC Good Food - Recipes

thanks for the heads up. Ill be moving soon and this will help me plan meals for me and my gf

Alex

This isn't working for me at all. Doesn't see my device when I try to run the adb program.

Had this problem.

When you're connected to your PC, drag down your notifications bar, touch the bit that says connected media device or w/e, then swap it to camera.

You may need to get some driver for it too, argh I forgot where I got mine, it should be easy to google.

Next problem. I apparently need ROM JRO03S. I have no idea where to find this.

EDIT: Apparently they haven't released anything for my Build yet. I have to wait. :(

midonnay

Some fellow from Google said they fixed the storage issue with 16GB Nexus 7's and slowing down to an unusable crawl when you start to fill it up in 4.1.2

Seems to be... partially true, but seems kind of makeshifty. It just behaves oddly now, like if I fill it up, it chugs, but then if I remove a few simple files, say a few songs it'll speed back up.

Then if I put anything else on, slows back down.

it chugs because of the shitty storage

but I can live with it if its reversable (by leaving enough space to cache efficiently)

you don't really need that much space if you offload the huge media files over a network harddrive or otg flash stick

Alex

I kinda need the space, and would like what I paid for, myself. I'll probably be returning mine and get something else and will just keep an eye on future models. I really do like this thing outside of the umpteen hardware quirks.

Alex

I have less than a GB free and have no problems. This bug related to certain models?

16gb version, still 4.1.1

Not from my experience, it's a fairly common issue. I'm amazed you haven't noticed on 4.1.1, though with that amount filled, is yours completely brand new or something? Maybe they swapped out the flash storage at some time recently. Mines about... three weeks old? Fresh shipment at that time.

AndroBench is a good way to check out your speeds, you'll want to pay attention to the write speeds, of which I believe the norm is about ~9-12 sequential write and 040-0.50 random write. If you're being hit by the issue, the seq write speed will be way lower than that, saw lots of low benches today, common is in the 0.50 to the 2.0 seq write and completely bottomed out random write. I had 0.03 random write in one pass, so you'll REALLY know once it hits that.

Once you start erasing, it goes back up, going back to around 2.5ish+ free gigs should rectify the problem.

BBC Good Food - Recipes

damn, this app has some really inefficient file storage. thousands of small files that waste so much space!

Top Bottom