• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Thanks to a $50 rebate, the threat of the $25 google credit going away and a new tax on electronics in Quebec..I am guilt free and picked up a Nexus ; )

Once I apply the credit to my account it is safe or do I need to spend it before Oct 1?

It's safe as long as you register on the play store before then.

Dunlop

It's safe as long as you register on the play store before then.

Thanks.

Any must have apps (that showcase the Nexus, I have a android phone) I should blow my $25 credit on?

Being in Canada, there is no magazine option and without a HDMI out, there is no way I will buy videos

Dunlop

thanks, I'll check it out

I'm going to attribute it to too much drinking last night and getting up crazy early (real reason:I'm slow) but I cannot figure out how to add a Widget

I have ICS on my Touchpad but it does not seem to be the same method, my google-fu is failing me

edit:lol, nvm it is EXACTLY the same way. I was trying to do it with the same method of my phone which is Gingerbread

Hieberrr

Great, right when I called Google to have a replacement sent to me, my screen stops creaking
KuGsj.gif
Oh well... now I'm just waiting on the UPS shipping label so I can just go send it out on Monday or something.

Hieberrr

Ugh getting a replacement is a headache!
The person on the phone was nice and helpful, and she told me that I would get an email (which I did), but I only received half of it. I received the other half 2 hours later and the link to re-order a replacement didn't even work as they don't accept payment from my location.

I might as well just keep the broken Nexus at this point. I still haven't received my UPS shipping label O__o

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is the 3G version rumored for this year? I'm kinda bummed the $25 Play store credit is going away, but I'd hate to buy an N7 now and then the 3G version comes out in a month or two.

Pepboy

So if I purchase a Nexus 7 today online, is it correct that I won't get the $25 credit? Is there somewhere to purchase this at a B&M store?

Also, Divvy, what $50 rebate are you talking about?

Thanks!

So if I purchase a Nexus 7 today online, is it correct that I won't get the $25 credit? Is there somewhere to purchase this at a B&M store?

Also, Divvy, what $50 rebate are you talking about?

Thanks!

You should be able to find it at Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, and Walmart.

JordanKZ

I've had some massive touch sensitivity issues over the last few weeks when I wake my device from sleep. No matter how many factory resets etc. I've done... Always been a problem.

Yesterday, I backed up, formatted, unlocked and rooted my N7 and installed AOKP JB-Build 3. Not a single problem since. Which puzzles me even more. If so many of these problems are software issues, why in flying fuck hasn't Google sorted this out?!

adroit

Lol. Google are aware and working on a fix via a later software update. How will an RMA have any impact on this?
Is it a hardware (flash memory controller?) problem they're going to work around in software or is it entirely a software problem?

Either way, exchanging tablets is pointless because presumably all the 16 GB models are using the same controller.

Is it a hardware (flash memory controller?) problem they're going to work around in software or is it entirely a software problem?

All signs point to software. The guys over at XDA have force downgraded to 4.1 from 4.1.1 and the problem vanishes...

Absolutely pointless to go through an RMA process when it'll most likely be fixed in 4.1.2.

Google have asked for people to send their tablets that experience this issue to them, and they are currently investigating according to the nexus 7 forums on Google groups.

M_A_C

Ends the 30th, depending on what part of the world you are in.

Don't you have to have the device and login to activate it though? I was in the process of purchasing it from google and there was no mention of it. I'm in the US btw.

EDIT: Ok I just called google and they said I could order the device tonight and still get the credit!

Quick

Banned
I got to play with a Nexus 7 earlier today. I'm pretty impressed. In a year or so, when an inevitable Nexus tablet successor comes out, I may just consider it over a new iPad.

womp

Don't you have to have the device and login to activate it though? I was in the process of purchasing it from google and there was no mention of it. I'm in the US btw.

Correct. If you have the device, and log in with it under your account. The promotion ends on the 30th.

When I said world, I meant like the time zone heh.

Based on everyones suggestions in this thread and some of the beautiful homescreens that were posted I took the plunge and got a Nexus 7 from Google today. Gonna be real excited when it comes in and I can get in on that jellybean action!

Quick question. When do you get the $25 free credit? Bought it this afternoon and haven't heard anything about it

mannerbot

Based on everyones suggestions in this thread and some of the beautiful homescreens that were posted I took the plunge and got a Nexus 7 from Google today. Gonna be real excited when it comes in and I can get in on that jellybean action!

Quick question. When do you get the $25 free credit? Bought it this afternoon and haven't heard anything about it

You get it when you first link your Google account to your tablet. If you clicked on the option to do that when you ordered it from the Play store maybe it's already done though?

Loving my Nexus 7, but today I started seeing some flashing lines occasionally while reading a comic in PerfectViewer. I've never seen it before, but I saw it a few times while reading tonight. Has anyone else gotten random flashing lines on their screen? It looks something like this (look towards the middle of the screen, there is a quick flash).

I saw this forum post where some other people are having the same issue, and some believe it is software.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a typical sign of failing hardware or is it potentially another one of those software oddities that could be fixed with an OTA update?

Like I said, loving my Nexus 7 and it's not a super huge issue, but I would get it fixed if it's going to become worse over time.

buhdeh

Week 2 with my Nexus as well and I'm loving it. Reading on this thing is so much better than on an iPad.

One downside I've found is that even though this is an IPS screen, my iPad 3 screen is just sooo much better in terms of color, brightness, contrast. In spite of that, I prefer doing almost everything on my Nexus over the iPad pretty much because the typing is sooo much more comfortable, the tablet feels better in my hands, and the UI is just quicker for me. Multitasking just feels better because you don't have to take your hands off to enable it with stupid gestures/taps (4 finger swipes, double taps of home button) and there aren't as many annoying animations to sit through. Browsing the web does feel a little cramped and Chrome sometimes has some weird image resizing issues. As a whole, I prefer the 7 and I'll probably be taking it with me for vacation over the iPad. I also really appreciated the gigantic battery on the iPad... that thing lasted forever compared to the 7 (though the 7's battery life isn't bad, just that the iPad's was extremely good).

Even though this thing is only $200, I really think it's a good iPad competitor. I know if I didn't already have an iPad, I could easily get by with the 7. In fact, it's pretty much taken away most of my iPad usage. I only really use the iPad if I'm planning to do long web browsing sessions.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Man, this is my go-to device for reading. Just bought 7 volumes of various manga and 6 issues of various comics, and I already have several books to get through. Battery life is amazing too.

Books? What are those?

Divvy

Man, this is my go-to device for reading. Just bought 7 volumes of various manga and 6 issues of various comics, and I already have several books to get through. Battery life is amazing too.

Books? What are those?

With pocket having TTS now, I don't even read news anymore. It's pretty great.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour

Books? What are those?

Where are you buying your manga?

Divvy

Viz and Dark Horse apps. They're both fairly consistent with Holo, which is a nice change from Comixology.

What's the use case for Pocket? I don't understand how it'd be useful for me...

Well I like that it formats long articles for easy reading and it can take it offline when I go places. Also I like to read before going to bed and having articles in dark mode is great for that.

reKon

Banned
On the N7 you can still use the stock browser right? Everyone should be using that and not chrome if you care about speed and responsiveness.

GavinGT

Banned
On the N7 you can still use the stock browser right? Everyone should be using that and not chrome if you care about speed and responsiveness.

Yes, but I only use it for Flash. I much prefer the Chrome UI and it seems plenty fast and responsive.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Actually as far as I know, the stock browser isn't included, which is fine since Chrome is better anyways.

_Isaac

What's the use case for Pocket? I don't understand how it'd be useful for me...

If you're reading an article, and you're just not digging the format, you can just pocket it and have a better reading experience. If you're just doing a quick browse, and you see a bunch of articles that interest you, but have no time to read at that moment, then you can pocket it and read it later. Pocket actually used to be called "Read It Later." This actually happened to me today, I saw an interesting headline and I pocketed to read later on. You can pocket stuff from your phone, N7, or regular PC. Another cool thing is that once stuff is pocketed you can read it offline, so if you happen to be over your data plan or just have no data plan (or wifi access) you can still read your saved articles in a nice readable format. Now maybe none of these scenarios seem all that common to you and that may mean that Pocket just isn't for you, but you'd be surprised how often I've encountered these scenarios in my life.

moowear

Not sure if this has been asked but is there a way to read magazines bought from the play store on an ipad? Are they saved as a pdf or an encrypted file? I bought them using my n7 if that makes a difference.

udllpn

I would have seriously considered buying a Nexus 10, but after experiencing some issues with my Nexus 7 (including a replacement), I'm wary of the built quality.

Apart from that, I'm quite happy with the device taking into account I don't own a smartphone.

Chrome is fine on the Nexus 7 - in fact, it even runs okay now on my rooted custom-Jellybean Xperia Play. It's a world apart from how it ran on ICS.

Dunlop

Did I mention a rebate? I don't think I did...

I mentioned it, it was a staples coupon for $50 off of a tablet that was $299 or more. The CSR let me use the coupon as long as I brought the bill itself to $299 so I picked up the Nexus and a case with some pens and crap.

It was a one day deal and you needed a specific coupon

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hmm my N7 has been randomly rebooting... and now the screen won't turn on... should I be worried? :(

Top Bottom