• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

womp

Next problem. I apparently need ROM JRO03S. I have no idea where to find this.

EDIT: Apparently they haven't released anything for my Build yet. I have to wait. :(

You shouldn't need JRO03S...If you are stock 4.1.1 you should be on JRO03D. I don't get it, there is more than one build of 4.1.1 on the 7? Mine was on JRO03D, what 'build' of 4.1.1 does it say in your settings under about device?

DAMNIT, I meant to put these two posts into one. :p

You need to install the drivers...The Rootkit will do that for you.
I installed the drivers. It detected my device. I found the firmware file and put it in the right directory but apparently my build version is newer so the firmware released doesn't apply to me yet.

Edit: I'm definitely on JRO03S. Firmware 4.1.1

All stock.

womp

I installed the drivers. It detected my device. I found the firmware file and put it in the right directory but apparently my build version is newer so the firmware released doesn't apply to me yet.

Edit: I'm definitely on JRO03S. Firmware 4.1.1

All stock.

Huh, it looks like JRO03S is 4.1.1 on newer manufactured 7's...How interesting...I wonder why they did it like that?

Yeah, this is a drag, no way to manually update with that version unless you downgrade to D first. Whacked!

Is there any chance of a new nexus with an sd card slot in the near future?

Wouldn't count on it unfortunately. It seems Google is veering away from SDCard slots on their Nexus devices. Sucks, I agree.

Alex

Somehow my storage issue has randomly fixed itself this morning :lol

No idea what the issue is, but after a few fill n wipes and formats as suggested, and didn't work, it now out of the blue has decided it wants to work properly. Down to 150 MB and still running at full speed.

Think a bulk of the problem may have been that Google suggested to clear a block of data to get things going smoothly, and instead of doing that, I decided to just wipe it because I had planned to redo some things anyway and when I was doing my testing the barrage of sync crap for a new format may have been getting me.

Just hope that was the case and it holds up.

womp

I know there's a gap when it comes to apps, but I'm still pretty surprised there's no CNN app for this thing.

It's there...but it hasn't been updated since July which means the devs working on it haven't bothered to acknowledge the existence of the Nexus 7.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cnn.mobile.android.tablet&hl=en

Unfortunately, without good support (and the general laziness of the dev), a lot of apps won't show up legitimately. You could probably side load it just fine if you can get the APK.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know there's a gap when it comes to apps, but I'm still pretty surprised there's no CNN app for this thing.

It's just another point of Android not getting tablet specific apps or not getting tablet apps that are updated and supported. It sucks, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. You just have to rely on the phone apps to fill the gap sadly. :(

womp

It's just another point of Android not getting tablet specific apps or not getting tablet apps that are updated and supported. It sucks, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. You just have to rely on the phone apps to fill the gap sadly. :(

And there is absolutely no reason for it either other than what I believe is the "We have it running great on iOS already, who cares about Android etc" excuse.

Vyer

It's there...but it hasn't been updated since July which means the devs working on it haven't bothered to acknowledge the existence of the Nexus 7.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cnn.mobile.android.tablet&hl=en

Unfortunately, without good support (and the general laziness of the dev), a lot of apps won't show up legitimately. You could probably side load it just fine if you can get the APK.

Yeah, I've got other options, and with a tablet being my Android device I have experienced it before. But like I said, that one still surprised me.

Interestingly, from that Play link it looks like even the phone app is outdated.

Posted?

http://productforums.google.com/d/msg/mobile/2Jy0jFaET9w/IlTJgmEOTVcJ

As a few of you have already noticed, the Android 4.1.2 over-the-air update that started rolling out yesterday does address the original issue brought up on this thread (touchscreen responsiveness after using graphically intensive apps). The update will be rolling out to the Nexus 7 tablet for several days, so if you don't have it yet please be patient and your tablet will get it soon.

Hopefully. It has to be a software thing as I easily fix it with just a lock/unlock.

Zeth

Posted?

http://productforums.google.com/d/msg/mobile/2Jy0jFaET9w/IlTJgmEOTVcJ

Hopefully. It has to be a software thing as I easily fix it with just a lock/unlock.

That's really good to hear. I just started experiencing terrible unresponsiveness but not in very intensive apps, so that's kind if worrying. Last night it was terrible just between Play and Gmail, could barely interact at all. Hope I can get it soon. Tried power cycling with no success. How long do these rollouts usually take?

vdlow

Something really strange happened today as my Nexus tried to update.

It downloaded the update and then rebooted to install it. But it rebooted on Clockwork Mod,, and asking me to install an unsigned package. I chose yes, but there was a failure during the installation. I rebooted the tablet, and it still is reporting version 4.1.1, and when I verify if there's any updates, it says that my Nexus is up to date.

Did this happen with anyone here?

Dunlop

My Nexus rebooted this morning while I was watching a youtube video. Thought it was the update but I'm at 4.1.1 still.

Time to checkout if Canadians are having issues with the update...

Threi

notag
I updated manually, easy to do and still official (its stuff from google anyways)

To update with no probs you have to have a completely clean (stock) build.prop and /system folder. So if you have installed the AOSP browser in the past it will give you an error.

Just got a Nexus 7 on Thursday - and the update later that day.

I'm not doing anything on it that I didn't do on my laptop or One S, but the form factor is so good. Saying something is good for emails is a weird compliment but so much better than dragging my laptop around.

Loving it. Smoothest Android thing I've used.

Now to spend my free money! Any good productivity or content creation app recommendations?

Zeth

Screen is now only responding about half the time, maybe less. Kinda worried since I've had it since close to release. Really hope I get the update soon. How long could it possibly take, a week?

Question for all you owners:

I am looking to buy a tablet, and the relative cheapness of the Nexus makes it really appealing (Gamestop store credit helps me out, too).

I'd be using it mainly for Chrome and Drive... is this a solid enough tablet for those uses? I've heard mixed things on the browser.

How would you fellas rate it overall? Satisfied?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Satisfied with massive caveats. The build quality is pretty hit-and-miss and the touchscreen does get buggy after prolonged use (which hopefully is fixed in the update), but I still love the form factor and use it a ton.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Question for all you owners:

I am looking to buy a tablet, and the relative cheapness of the Nexus makes it really appealing (Gamestop store credit helps me out, too).

I'd be using it mainly for Chrome and Drive... is this a solid enough tablet for those uses? I've heard mixed things on the browser.

How would you fellas rate it overall? Satisfied?

It's pretty great. It's replaced my ipad3 as my goto reading tablet. That being said, you should wait a month before jumping in as there's very strong rumours of a pricedrop and a new 32 gig model.

adroit

I'd be using it mainly for Chrome and Drive... is this a solid enough tablet for those uses?
I've used Drive for limited editing of documents and spreadsheets (in Google's native format). It's OK. Hopefully some day Google's Android apps will work as well (or better) than their browser-based apps. That day is not here yet.

If you mean using Drive for storing and retrieving other kinds of files, I haven't tried that.

It's pretty great. It's replaced my ipad3 as my goto reading tablet. That being said, you should wait a month before jumping in as there's very strong rumours of a pricedrop and a new 32 gig model.
Really? Dang.

Not that that's a bad thing, but I'm wanting a tablet right now for my downtime between classes. Ah well.....

I've used Drive for limited editing of documents and spreadsheets (in Google's native format). It's OK. Hopefully some day Google's Android apps will work as well (or better) than their browser-based apps. That day is not here yet.

If you mean using Drive for storing and retrieving other kinds of files, I haven't tried that.
I was actually planning on using it for editing of docs and spreadsheets, yes. I use that shit for everything... I basically am a thrall of Google's umbrella.

adroit

I was actually planning on using it for editing of docs and spreadsheets, yes.
It works. It's just a little klunky. I'm sure they'll continue to improve it.

For example, if you click in an existing cell to update its contents, the input focus goes to the first cell in the row, not the cell you clicked in. Dorky stuff like that. And if you add a row, you don't see it until you refresh the spreadsheet (it puts a message at the top telling you to refresh to see your update). That might be designed that way to keep bandwidth reasonable on cell networks ($$$/MB). The app doesn't know it's running on a tablet with WiFi only. And it could be tethered to a mobile phone for all it knows.

How to get the Update faster/right now:

Settings -> Apps -> All -> Google Services Framework

Force Stop -> Clear Data -> Go to About -> System Updates

The Updates Window should say last checked 1/1/1970 or something similar. Check for Update. Profit.

You may not get it the first time you try this. Repeat proces till you get it. Took me two retries of clearing data and now I'm on 4.1.2

Edit: Sorry meant Force Stop instead of Disable. Of course don't disable the services framework.

The Updates Window should say last checked 1/1/1970 or something similar. Check for Update. Profit.

You may not get it the first time you try this. Repeat proces till you get it. Took me two retries of clearing data and now I'm on 4.1.2

Edit: Sorry meant Force Stop instead of Disable. Of course don't disable the services framework.

this way worked. thanks.

Cheebo

Banned

Woah, worked. Thank you.

Zeth

Instantly fixed responsiveness issues. Wonder if I'll still see that weird flicker.

Found the reset tip on android central and came here to sing its praises but I'd been scooped!

Top Bottom