• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

adroit

So they designed the service framework thing to artificially delay updates? So pressing the "check for update" button is just a joke? It should be changed to "check to see if your tablet is in the mood to let you have the update which is already available."

Instantly fixed responsiveness issues. Wonder if I'll still see that weird flicker.

Found the reset tip on android central and came here to sing its praises but I'd been scooped!

Oh the touch responsiveness is definitely better. I played some games and then just did browsing and there were no issues. No need for lock/unlock trick to fix it (which was my daily routine when playing games followed by wonky touchscreen)

Found the trick on XDA as usual so the kudos goes to the fine hacking folks there, always one step ahead.

Zeth

So they designed the service framework thing to artificially delay updates? So pressing the "check for update" button is just a joke? It should be changed to "check to see if your tablet is in the mood to let you have the update which is already available."
I was really surprised it worked. I'd figured it was anecdotal/coincidental stories from random forum users.

Alex

Chrome is great, sometimes I forget I have a laptop. For browsing is all you need.

I like it, but I hope they flesh it out a bit as time goes on. It's a little bare bones compared to some of the other browsers, I hope they add full screen soon, too.

Also, I don't really like it's menu system for bookmarks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, the bookmark system is kinda bad. Poor performance too, have to wait 2 seconds for the "real" page to load, which in the meantime they show you a "fake" page.

They also need to support extensions. I know they're a major CPU drainer, but it needs to happen. I don't consider it fully Chrome until then.

A nicer-to-have would be for Chrome to have its own auto-updater and keep in lock-step with the desktop version. That was the promise when Chrome released in 2008. They spat in the face of the companies that "left" users behind with their upgrade cycles, then turn around and pull the exact same thing with the mobile versions.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Wow, scrolling feels even better. Wish I didn't have to jump through that hoop though; why couldn't they have just pushed the update to my device?

adroit

They also need to add (but won't, because Google are cross-site tracking fanatics) a feature to specify which cookies to keep and which to automatically dump when the browser exits. Currently all Chrome lets you do is manually delete all cookies. They want it to be inconvenient to discourage you from doing it.

I have Firefox (on my Windows notebook) configured to keep cookies for a tiny list of domains (including neogaf.com). All other cookies go *poof* when I close the browser. That's the way I want Chrome to work.

edit: Hmmm, I just realized a complication on tablets...apps get told to save their state when they aren't in the foreground so the OS can kick them out of RAM whenever space is required. So, apps don't stick around like they do on Windows (tons of RAM and disk paging available). I guess that messes up the "flush cookies when the browser closes" paradigm. Oh well. Should have thought this through.

Wilester

I'm looking to buy a Nexus 7 before I go on holiday on November 2nd. I hope Google announce and release the reported 32GB model before then.......

nib95

Banned
I'm looking to buy a Nexus 7 before I go on holiday on November 2nd. I hope Google announce and release the reported 32GB model before then.......

Agreed, this is the main thing holding me back from getting my mother in law one. iPad is a bit too rich for just a random little gift for nothing more than home web browsing and video viewing lol.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
How to get the Update faster/right now:

Settings -> Apps -> All -> Google Services Framework

Force Stop -> Clear Data -> Go to About -> System Updates
U
The Updates Window should say last checked1/1/1970 or something similar. Check for Update. Profit.

You may not get it the first time you try this. Repeat proces till you get it. Took me two retries of clearing data and now I'm on 4.1.2

Edit: Sorry meant Force Stop instead of Disable. Of course don't disable the services framework.
Great, thanks!

Edit: actually, I'm using CWM on mine - it restarted after the download where I was expecting CWM to prompt me about the install and losing root etc, but it did nothing. I can't get back into recovery mode, either (though can boot into the OS fine) I'll try more when I'm back home. Last thing I need is for me to screw this thing up while away.

So, um...any word on that Asus dock that was mentioned around August? What's the hold up?

I just ended up ordering one off ebay instead. Hope it works fine.

We also need an expanded discussion on cases. I want to get one but I haven't seen anything I like. The selection is shit in Canada as well.

Also, I it finally safe to fill this thing to capacity?

Is Swift Keyboard good on an N7?

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Yeah, the bookmark system is kinda bad. Poor performance too, have to wait 2 seconds for the "real" page to load, which in the meantime they show you a "fake" page.

They also need to support extensions. I know they're a major CPU drainer, but it needs to happen. I don't consider it fully Chrome until then.

A nicer-to-have would be for Chrome to have its own auto-updater and keep in lock-step with the desktop version. That was the promise when Chrome released in 2008. They spat in the face of the companies that "left" users behind with their upgrade cycles, then turn around and pull the exact same thing with the mobile versions.
It's still early yet for the mobile version. Give them time.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I updated to 4.1.2, and now apps that use root don't work (gesture, fullcreen toggle, button savior) is this my problem or theirs?

Chrome runs much smoother with the update, though!

Futureman

Andrex, how do you want Chrome to auto update differently than other apps? I'm on a GNEX and I've never actually gone in and manually updated any app. Even on desktop Chrome you have to click the wrench and then update. It's actually more seamless on the phone. Or do you mean you want them to push more updates out more often? Seems to me that desktop is updated way more often.

I HATE that fake page thing. Why does the bookmarks screen have to reload every single time you open a new tab?

Anyone experience with using the Nexus 7 as a E reader?

Im planning on buying one soon like over 2 weeks unless apple can grab my money.
But so far the nexus 7 is at the top of the list as a tablet/ereader.

Anyone experience with using the Nexus 7 as a E reader?

Im planning on buying one soon like over 2 weeks unless apple can grab my money.
But so far the nexus 7 is at the top of the list as a tablet/ereader.

Was my main reason for getting it and I've had no issues with it. I was going to wait for the Mini but I really wanted to dive into a couple of books sooner than later. Also, the size is perfect for my inside coat pocket.

No regrets.

Was my main reason for getting it and I've had no issues with it. I was going to wait for the Mini but I really wanted to dive into a couple of books sooner than later. Also, the size is perfect for my inside coat pocket.

No regrets.

Nice 10" was a bit too large for me so i think the 7~8" should cover me.
Now i just have to wait for my internship salary to come in the next couple of weeks hopefully.

Eric WK

I'm in the market for a tablet that I'll primarily use to read PDFs of textbooks. Does anybody have any textbook specific experience with the Nexus 7? A lot of what I've read online says it's much better if you turn it to landscape and scroll more, but I was hoping for some more impressions.

I'm in the market for a tablet that I'll primarily use to read PDFs of textbooks. Does anybody have any textbook specific experience with the Nexus 7? A lot of what I've read online says it's much better if you turn it to landscape and scroll more, but I was hoping for some more impressions.

Aside from web browsing, I use mine primarily for textbooks (PDF form) and reading journal articles (again PDF) and I think the Nexus 7 is great. I use ezPDF Reader and it allows you to highlight and annotate easily and it lets you crop pages so that they fit nicely on the screen. There really isn't a reason to scroll most of the time in my experience.

The big problem that remains is that most textbooks are best used for references and flipping through pages rapidly is still something that doesn't work well with tablets and eReaders. For strictly reading papers and chapters of books however, it's more than fine.

I have the 8gb nexus and I love it. Space really isn't an issue because of wonderful things like google music and google drive :)

Thank you cloud based god.

Pyrokai

I might be in the market for one of these (or a Chromebook or Kindle)....I'm seeking advice for my dilemma :(

Basically, I can't decide if I want an Android tablet, Kindle Fire, iPad, or Chromebook......I already have a Galaxy Nexus. I don't really know what I'm doing. An Android tablet might be too much crossover with my phone....but I'd like a media consumption device. I can't figure out which empire I want to submit myself to....I don't want to be bound to any one company, but for convenience purposes it makes the most sense to get all my media from either Google Play or Amazon's Kindle media, or Apple's iTunes media, you know? Right now, I use iTunes for music and that's it. I've always used it for my music because I've just used iTunes since way back in the day. But for movies and magazines and everything else, I can't decide if I want to go Amazon or Google or Apple. It would bother me so much to have SOME movies on Play and SOME others on Kindle or something. Ugh. What a stupid dilemma. Don't really know where else to post this, so I hope this is alright...help is appreciated!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's still early yet for the mobile version. Give them time.

It was early days for Chrome and they had the auto-updater in place because they realized how important it was.

Extensions are a different thing, and yeah, they have some time to put those in. It took Chrome desktop about 15 months to add extensions, but you'd think with the entire infrastructure and desktop code in place it would take less time for mobile.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I might be in the market for one of these (or a Chromebook or Kindle)....I'm seeking advice for my dilemma :(

Basically, I can't decide if I want an Android tablet, Kindle Fire, iPad, or Chromebook......I already have a Galaxy Nexus. I don't really know what I'm doing. An Android tablet might be too much crossover with my phone....but I'd like a media consumption device. I can't figure out which empire I want to submit myself to....I don't want to be bound to any one company, but for convenience purposes it makes the most sense to get all my media from either Google Play or Amazon's Kindle media, or Apple's iTunes media, you know? Right now, I use iTunes for music and that's it. I've always used it for my music because I've just used iTunes since way back in the day. But for movies and magazines and everything else, I can't decide if I want to go Amazon or Google or Apple. It would bother me so much to have SOME movies on Play and SOME others on Kindle or something. Ugh. What a stupid dilemma. Don't really know where else to post this, so I hope this is alright...help is appreciated!

Trust Google Play with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Play and it will direct your path.

Seriously, as much as I'd love to straight up recommend a Chromebook, the Nexus 7 is probably the best content consumption device yet. Its small size makes it much easier to bring everywhere (opposite the iPad), and it has a wealth of apps (opposite Kindle Fire) to consume media with (Comixology, Google Play, Dark Horse, Viz, etc.) I also think the OS is much better than those two as well.

Also, it's never too late to start using Google Play Music. I don't know if Apple ever did anything with the corpse of Lala and started adding cloud stuff to iTunes, but Google Music as a backup is probably a good idea.

The Updates Window should say last checked 1/1/1970 or something similar. Check for Update. Profit.

You may not get it the first time you try this. Repeat proces till you get it. Took me two retries of clearing data and now I'm on 4.1.2

Edit: Sorry meant Force Stop instead of Disable. Of course don't disable the services framework.

DO NOT DO THIS

This method will Break features of your Nexus 7 in specific ways and the only way to restore this 100% and reliably is a complete factory reset

Things that break using the force OTA method

- ANY app (not just Google apps) that uses push notifications for anything WILL break. The only way to fix them is to either force stop/clear data from ALL of those apps (meaning you might potentially lose important app data as this basically resets the app back to when you first downloaded it), and set all of them back up again, OR to do a Factory Reset of the entire device after your device is updated.

- You will NOT be able to download apps from the Play Store weblink and "push" them to your device. The Play Store will NOT see your device anymore as it won't be in your devices list. There might be a way to fix this, but I haven't found it, aside from again, doing a Factory Reset and setting up your device from scratch.

- Google Music/Play Store purchases of Books/Movies/Magazine/Music: Whatever the authorization process Google uses, you break it when you clear Framework Services.

If you just have issue with Google authorization issues, you'll most likely have to delete your Google account off the device and clear Google App cache, restart, the reenter your Google account info to get Google Play back to normal.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DO NOT DO THIS

This method will Break features of your Nexus 7 in specific ways and the only way to restore this 100% and reliably is a complete factory reset

- ANY app (not just Google apps) that uses push notifications for anything WILL break. The only way to fix them is to either force stop/clear data from ALL of those apps (meaning you might potentially lose important app data as this basically resets the app back to when you first downloaded it), and set all of them back up again, OR to do a Factory Reset of the entire device after your device is updated.

- You will NOT be able to download apps from the Play Store weblink and "push" them to your device. The Play Store will NOT see your device anymore as it won't be in your devices list. There might be a way to fix this, but I haven't found it, aside from again, doing a Factory Reset and setting up your device from scratch.

- Google Music/Play Store purchases of Books/Movies/Magazine/Music: Whatever the authorization process Google uses, you break it when you clear Framework Services.

If you just have issue with Google authorization issues, you'll most likely have to delete your Google account off the device and clear Google App cache, restart, the reenter your Google account info to get Google Play back to normal.

Erm, no, this isn't the case. The clear services method is completely safe, it just takes a few days for everything to get back in sync again.

mannerbot

DO NOT DO THIS

Still works for me, I just tested it.

Cheebo

Banned
DO NOT DO THIS

nope

Erm, no, this isn't the case. The clear services method is completely safe, it just takes a few days for everything to get back in sync again.

Still works for me, I just tested it.

Do so, entirely at your own risk. XDA seem pretty convinced it's a bad thing.

XDA said:
I can confirm that messing with the Framework to force the OTA does muck up purchases and update of apps through Google Play.

Yep I know I, oldblue910 and others have warned people about this and it was just glossed over..

Same thing with the Nexus S about 6 months ago. Peeps trying to get the OTA early and breaking stuff on their phones. So I left well alone during the 4.1.2. update and just waited.

mannerbot

Do so, entirely at your own risk. XDA seem pretty convinced it's a bad thing.

You're picking choice quotes from the few people that have had issues and misrepresenting it as a forum consensus. I had to look through 3 threads on XDA's Nexus 7 forum before I found complaints about this. For what it's worth, I've had no issues with it but knowing now that there are potential complications, I would probably have just waited for the update instead of forcing it.

You're picking choice quotes from the few people that have had issues

Of course I am. I am trying to articulate that some people ARE having issues with OTA force update.

There are a lot of folk new to Android in this thread, and it's irresponsible to dress up the OTA force as a no-risk path to 4.1.2 when they would have 4.1.2 in a few days if they just wait. The risks far outweigh the rewards in this scenario, so it's prudent to re-post the anecdotal experiences of the guys over at XDA, who without wishing to offend anyone, are most likely tens of times more knowledgeable than Android GAF.

mannerbot

I just signed up for an XDA account. It feels really good being ten times more knowledgeable than I was a minute ago. I'm glad that my anecdotal experience carries weight now.

On a serious note, I am glad that you brought it up even though I think that you're making a mountain out of a molehill. I agree that posts advocating this type of thing should have a warning about potential consequences and I probably won't be forcing updates in the future.

DO NOT DO THIS

Don't believe any of the above is true. Purchases are fine, web link push works fine, etc

womp

Hyperbole. Three year Android user here and doing that under a few situations in the past has never broken anything.

Threi

notag
I cannot fathom how the above can happen unless you actually remove the google services apk from your system folder (which requires root), not disabling/enabling it.

DXPett1

Doing the clear services framework has certainly broke push notifications for me in the past mate. It's not that its not true its that its not a perfect science, much like the overall OTA experience. You either roll the dice or not

sca2511

The Updates Window should say last checked 1/1/1970 or something similar. Check for Update. Profit.

Thanks for this, working for me. Updating now as I type.

DO NOT DO THIS

It didn't appear for me either but maybe for the first 5-10 minutes (I have not posted the trick before everything worked for me btw)

I missed the warnings on XDA, but it seems to me it is (was) more a concern for Nexus S devices than it is for the 7.

Doing the clear services framework has certainly broke push notifications for me in the past mate. It's not that its not true its that its not a perfect science, much like the overall OTA experience. You either roll the dice or not
This is true, however it applies to a lot of android related things. I have more problems with push and pulse light on my Gnex when running AOSP stock, than on the Nexus 7.

Top Bottom