• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

NinjaBoiX

How do I turn off notifications? It's my dad's old tablet, and he set up all these damn notifications, thing keeps bonging every two minutes!

Well shit, my Nexus has stopped receiving Facebook notifications :/

No other solution but to reset, huh?

Sorry to hear that.

Try a force stop / clear data of the application - that should sort it. However, you'll need to do this for every application that starts behaving like this, so an easier option may be the factory reset, depending on how many notifications have broken.

If you're bootloader unlocked, you can just flash a stock 4.1.2 image from Google on to the tablet, which is the best of all worlds. In fact, after my device received 4.1.2 OTA, it felt a bit laggy and stuttery to me, so I performed a complete 4.1.2 stock reflash and restored my apps using Titanium. End result - it's smooooooooth.

How do I turn off notifications? It's my dad's old tablet, and he set up all these damn notifications, thing keeps bonging every two minutes!

Go into settings, and factory reset it. Then set it up with your own Google account and decide what notifications you want.

Will that delete all the games and apps? He bought some of them on his account, it'd be a shame to lose them.

Games and apps, purchased and free are tied to the account and not transferrable.

But you can add your dad's account and your own, however you would have to do that on every reset but this way Android would restore all apps that were previously installed on the device upon first connect.

NinjaBoiX

Games and apps, purchased and free are tied to the account and not transferrable.

But you can add your dad's account and your own, however you would have to do that on every reset but this way Android would restore all apps that were previously installed on the device upon first connect.
So the best way to turn notifications off, is to factory reset, reinstate both accounts, and re download everything? Can I not just, you know, turn them off?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i made the mistake of rooting the device using something off XDA and involving clockworkmod. now i'm unable to update the device. sigh.

have to research a bit on uninstalling the mods and going back to stock.

So the best way to turn notifications off, is to factory reset, reinstate both accounts, and re download everything? Can I not just, you know, turn them off?

Yes. But you have to go from app to app, and uncheck notifications in each app.

Or go into Settings -> Apps -> Select App -> uncheck notifications.

both methods require you to do this manually for each app.

If you factory reset and redownload all the apps however, you'd go through the same procedure anways as most apps have notifications enabled by default.

Ydahs

Try clearing FB app data first. If that doesn't work do a reinstall of the FB app.

This worked. Thanks :)

If you hold down on the notification, App info should pop up. Click on that and uncheck 'show notifications'. You'll have to do it for each offending app separately.

NinjaBoiX

Yes. But you have to go from app to app, and uncheck notifications in each app.

Or go into Settings -> Apps -> Select App -> uncheck notifications.

both methods require you to do this manually for each app.

If you factory reset and redownload all the apps however, you'd go through the same procedure anways as most apps have notifications enabled by default.

This worked. Thanks :)

If you hold down on the notification, App info should pop up. Click on that and uncheck 'show notifications'. You'll have to do it for each offending app separately.
Cool, thanks guys.

i made the mistake of rooting the device using something off XDA and involving clockworkmod. now i'm unable to update the device. sigh.

have to research a bit on uninstalling the mods and going back to stock.

I had a similar issue the first time I tried to update, mostly due to the fact that I tried deodexing and messed up. The update process kept failing in recovery and even after a factory reset the process still errored out. I eventually managed to solve it like this:

Quickest fix:

1 - Download an official google stock 4.1.2 image from https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/nakasi-jzo54k-factory-973f190e.tgz

2 - Download the Google Nexus 7 toolkit from http://www.mediafire.com/?ma93paiykap18a8 and install it.

3 - The toolkit installs in some directory off of C (C:\Google Nexus 7 ToolKit is the default dir). Snoop around in there and find a folder that is called "put_google_factory_image_here" and in that directory put the google stock image you downloaded in step 1

4 - Run the toolkit (toolkit.exe), say no to the "do you want to check for update?" prompt and select option 9).

5 - Choose option 2) - "Flash Google Factory Image"

5 - After this, you'll be on latest stock 4.1.2. Your bootloader will remain unlocked, but you'll need to re-root. Don't use the Google Nexus 7 toolkit to root if you're on 4.1.2. as it is not yet updated to do that :)

All the above assume you have the correct drivers installed to do things to the Nexus 7 in the first place. As you've successfully rooted and flashed recovery in the past, I'd assume this is the case. Oh yeah, and also backup anything you don't want to lose.

scorcho

i wish i saw this 2 seconds before googling how to boot into Recovery Mode, selecting recovery mode, then frantically regretting it .4 seconds after clicking the power button.* i've now been staring at the Google unlocked screen for the last 5 minutes.

*reaction times may vary as they're coated in delicious morning-time happy days fun days morphine and coffee. like, seriously, best part of my day here.

i wish i saw this 2 seconds before googling how to boot into Recovery Mode, selecting recovery mode, then frantically regretting it .4 seconds after clicking the power button.* i've now been staring at the Google unlocked screen for the last 5 minutes.

*reaction times may vary as they're coated in delicious morning-time happy days fun days morphine and coffee. like, seriously, best part of my day here.

Don't worry, this is a common bootloader bug. It doesn't like to go straight into recovery mode without USB attached and will soft lock.

Just hook the USB cable from your computer up to your nexus, then hold the nexus 7 power button in until it shuts down.

It freaked me out the first time it happened to me too :)

scorcho

I did as you explained, thank you! You've been most helpful. I realize now that I need to attempt this on my desktop PC and not the Mac, which means I have to get up, grab some oxygen tubing and slowly meander back to my home office. Just thinking about this makes me tired. I used to willingly work out 4 days a week. Now I need to be motivated to switch places where I sloth.

Perhaps more sips of this delicious coffee will shower me with strength. Is there any news on the goodnesss which waits us on 4.2?

I did as you explained, thank you! You've been most helpful. I realize now that I need to attempt this on my desktop PC and not the Mac, which means I have to get up, grab some oxygen tubing and slowly meander back to my home office.

Although I believe it's technically possible to do a straight 4.1.2 stock flash using a Mac, to the best of my knowledge there's not an automated tool, so you'd have about 20 steps of downloading various bits and pieces before you got to the flashing.

Hopefully you did your previous rooting on your desktop PC, so you'll already have all the drivers set up and ready to go!

Is there any news on the goodnesss which waits us on 4.2?

Key Lime Pie is being tested right now apparently:

Android Authority is reporting that Google’s own software may have outed its latest build of Android as Google Analytics showed devices running a version 4.2 had accessed the site.

The data shows a Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Sony Xperia Arc S and a Samsung Galaxy Y were all used with Android 4.2 to view the webpage since August, meaning it has been in an active testing phase for the last few months.

Interestingly, the report also shows that two rumoured Motorola devices, codenamed the Occam (smartphone) and Manta (tablet) were also used with the new build.

In terms of features- nobody knows. There were a few alleged leaked features about 10 days ago, but these are now confirmed fake.

BTW - For the last 4 days, I haven't been keeping up with the Scorcho OP. Did you post any more about the new meds yet?

Threi

notag
I guess I'm too late, but if you couldn't update after rooting (and you didn't flash a custom rom), its probably because of a kernel modification, and you don't need to factory reset, just restore the stock kernel and recovery.

Flek

Banned
iam also debating between ipad mini and the nexus 7 - if they really release a nexus 7 for even cheaper than 199 i might be sold!

I would take a 8GB one for 99 or even 149 Euro right away

There's no way they will drop the price of the N7 that much (or at all). 199 will remain the price for the base model and that already is dirt cheap all things considered.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So pardon my ignorance, but this Nexus 4, is it a media consumption device ala the iPod touch, or an actual phone.

I'd be interested in waiting for a 4-inch device, but I'm not terribly interested in an actual phone.

So pardon my ignorance, but this Nexus 4, is it a media consumption device ala the iPod touch, or an actual phone.

I'd be interested in waiting for a 4-inch device, but I'm not terribly interested in an actual phone.
edit: Oh wait, I thought you typo'd and meant the Nexus 7 instead. I have no idea about the Nexus 4 (which is the new LG Nexus, right?).

I just bought a 16GB N7 this weekend. I have 14 days to return it to the store.... hmmmm :p

EDIT: I am in the US.

I'm on day #15. No turning back now, I'd like to see a price drop on the 16gb soon though so at least I can get my price protection.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
edit: Oh wait, I thought you typo'd and meant the Nexus 7 instead. I have no idea about the Nexus 4 (which is the new LG Nexus, right?).

Yeah, the purported Nexus 4 is an LG device. I haven't found a whole lot of concrete info, though honestly besides GAF I don't really know where to find reliable info. Is a non-phone even something LG does or are they strictly phones traditionally?

Looks like I lost Facebook and appliction update notifications as well.

I don't really mind those, as I don't care about Facebook taht much and I was on the verge of turning off auto app updates anyway-- and the notifications do pop up when you open FB/Play Store.

But I wonder what other notifications are broken. :(

buhdeh

Yeah pretty sure I lost the regular Facebook notifications. Facebook Messenger seems to work though. Not really a big deal for me though cause I don't really need notifications to show up on my PC, tablet, and phone.

So the framework thing definitely has downsides.

ana

Got my nexus 7. So far I'm loving it..
Google books and magazines are not yet available where I live. Thankfully kindle app is available here so I can buy books from that.

Can anyone recommend a capacitive stylus for the Nexus 7? Tempted by the Galaxy Note tab, but don't want to buy another tablet so soon after the N7.

Pyrokai

Trust Google Play with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Play and it will direct your path.

Seriously, as much as I'd love to straight up recommend a Chromebook, the Nexus 7 is probably the best content consumption device yet. Its small size makes it much easier to bring everywhere (opposite the iPad), and it has a wealth of apps (opposite Kindle Fire) to consume media with (Comixology, Google Play, Dark Horse, Viz, etc.) I also think the OS is much better than those two as well.

Also, it's never too late to start using Google Play Music. I don't know if Apple ever did anything with the corpse of Lala and started adding cloud stuff to iTunes, but Google Music as a backup is probably a good idea.

Thanks, man! I appreciate the input! :p

Emily Chu

Banned
anyone having this ?

I'm not using my N7 as much as I used to
outside - Galaxy Nexus (shits too heavy and doesn't have 3/4G data)
inside - I'm using a full fledge windows 7 laptop with a 10 hr battery life or it's just plugged in

I went on a 4 day trip to a friends place and I hardly used it

just going back from phone to laptop

not bashing the N7 I love the damn thing, it's just a interesting observation I noticed.

when I'm inside (couldn't this be done better and faster on a laptop) ?
when I'm outside (too cumbersome to actually carry when I can do most things and more with my phone + 4G data.

wish there was some way to install x64 windows 8 on it that would be sweet.

just my two cents

DagsJT

anyone having this ?

inside - I'm using a full fledge windows 7 laptop with a 10 hr battery life or it's just plugged in

not bashing the N7 I love the damn thing, it's just a interesting observation I noticed.

when I'm outside (too cumbersome to actually carry when I can do most things and more with my phone + 4G data.

just my two cents

I use my Nexus 7 more when I'm downstairs lounging around or in bed as it's just for browsing/social etc. Otherwise I'd be on my actual PC.

My wife loves the games on it though, she's always on Fashion Icon and Ski Safari lately.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nexus 7 is basically my dedicated comic/book/manga reader. I also use it for light browsing on the couch, but I might use a laptop in that situation if I had one at home instead of a crappy netbook.

Can anyone recommend a capacitive stylus for the Nexus 7? Tempted by the Galaxy Note tab, but don't want to buy another tablet so soon after the N7.

I just ordered a Jot Classic, I'll let you know how it is. Most places seem to agree it's at least the most precise capacitive stylus available.

Just saw this deal for the Amzer TPU Hybrid Case for the Google Nexus 7. Currently it's on sale for $9 which is %55 off the original price.

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wDuaFnsc27g

Looks decent and it has anti-slip which is good. But there's no stand on it, but for what it offers in the form of protection it seems worth 9 bucks.

Get it here - http://www.shopandroid.com/amzer-tp...c&utm_medium=sponsored&utm_campaign=dailydeal

I think I'll jump this and try it out.

Just saw this deal for the Amzer TPU Hybrid Case for the Google Nexus 7. Currently it's on sale for $9 which is %55 off the original price.

Looks decent and it has anti-slip which is good. But there's no stand on it, but for what it offers in the form of protection it seems worth 9 bucks.

Get it here - http://www.shopandroid.com/amzer-tp...c&utm_medium=sponsored&utm_campaign=dailydeal

anyone having this ?

I'm having quite the opposite actually. Everytime I leave the house I usually end up taking my Nexus 7 with me. All I do is tether it and I get that 4G awesomeness. I barely ever use my laptop unless I got an assignment to do like a convention or if I have some heavy typing that can't wait til I get home.

To each his own I guess.

Black is already sold out. :/

Edit: Nexus 7 goes everywhere with me. It fits snug in my inside coat pocket. Don't even need to carry a bag for it.

Duxxy3

Should I return the nexus 7 that I bought from GameStop? It has a tiny amount of screen lift and a line flickers across the screen every once in a long while.

Should I return the nexus 7 that I bought from GameStop? It has a tiny amount of screen lift and a line flickers across the screen every once in a long while.

You should definitely do that, it sounds like they're selling the older models. At the very least you should exchange it

mbmonk

I wanted to thank the posters who suggested picking up the Thumb Keyboard App. The keyboard layout is so much better. It was well worth the $1+ I paid for it. I can't go back to the default keyboard. :p

Top Bottom