• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Salaadin

Does swype still work good on tablets? Im so used to using it with a single thumb on my GNex that Im not sure Id be able to use it on a 2 handed device.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Does swype still work good on tablets? Im so used to using it with a single thumb on my GNex that Im not sure Id be able to use it on a 2 handed device.

I mainly use my point finger. Holding the tablet in my left, manipulating it with my right hand. Works great with both portrait and landscape mode. The most I could ask for is a slightly lower profile landscape mode, still takes up too much screen space like every other keyboard, but it's still super smooth and enjoyable. Couldn't imagine using anything else.

JonnyBrad

I hope they have fucking fixed the screen lift on the new model. Also two weeks would put it in line with the announcements at the end of the month for 4.2 and the lg nexus.

Falch

Waiting for the announcement of the iPad mini, but since I'm looking for a 32gb version I'm quite confident the price difference will be so big that I'm gonna buy a Nexus 7.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Man, I could see those 32 geebees coming in handy in a couple weeks at the rate I'm buying comics (I like to keep the entire collection locally.)

So I have had my Nexus 7 for a few months now, and for the most part, I've been happy with it. I love it as a book reader, I love it for streaming music, but I still use my iPad for creating things-be it mocking up websites and apps for work, or showing work to clients.

I want to tinker around with this thing, so I bought an OTG cable, a 32GB thumb drive, and downloaded that Nexus Media Importer thing. But I don't love it-it feels like a clunky experience. I thought I could just plug the drive in, and have it mount-I thought that was one of the pluses of Android. Googling told me that wasn't the case, at least with the N7.

So I'm thinking about rooting-will this give me the option to mount the drive, and read my media directly from whatever apps I choose? I saw that shot of MAME4Droid a few pages back, and I'm really interested in doing that. But as far as I can tell, I can't make that work with the stock OS I have now. Is my only option to root? And if I root, it wipes my device, right? But once I login to Google once the root process is complete, I can download all of my apps again, right?

Sorry for the (I think) simple questions; I'm coming from an iOS world, and have never even considered jailbreaking THAT, so I don't want to break anything, should I decide to mess around with this thing.

So I have had my Nexus 7 for a few months now, and for the most part, I've been happy with it. I love it as a book reader, I love it for streaming music, but I still use my iPad for creating things-be it mocking up websites and apps for work, or showing work to clients.

I want to tinker around with this thing, so I bought an OTG cable, a 32GB thumb drive, and downloaded that Nexus Media Importer thing. But I don't love it-it feels like a clunky experience. I thought I could just plug the drive in, and have it mount-I thought that was one of the pluses of Android. Googling told me that wasn't the case, at least with the N7.

So I'm thinking about rooting-will this give me the option to mount the drive, and read my media directly from whatever apps I choose? I saw that shot of MAME4Droid a few pages back, and I'm really interested in doing that. But as far as I can tell, I can't make that work with the stock OS I have now. Is my only option to root? And if I root, it wipes my device, right? But once I login to Google once the root process is complete, I can download all of my apps again, right?

Sorry for the (I think) simple questions; I'm coming from an iOS world, and have never even considered jailbreaking THAT, so I don't want to break anything, should I decide to mess around with this thing.

Bump for the afternoon crowd. Are my assumptions correct here?

Bump for the afternoon crowd. Are my assumptions correct here?

Once you root, everything will be wiped, you will have to go through the initial set up process you went through when you first turned it on. Pretty simple, IMO, but you will lose your app data (i.e. saved progress in Angry Birds) unless you have a backup program that saves app data.

If that's not an issue at all, then go ahead and root, it really is the only option if u wanna use the OTG cable

EDIT: Like iOS, your downloaded apps can be easily re-downloaded once you root by using the Play store

Vyer

Sheeple will lap that shit up whatever. Google needs that £99 game changer if they're going to make an impression.

This thread was pretty positive about 8GB at launch of the Nexus 7, a 50 dollar difference (when there are other pros and cons) doesn't suddenly make everyone 'sheeple'.

$99 would be a big boost, though. For a lot of people the smaller tablet market is primarily about price and content.

Threi

notag
I had a dream last night where I was using my N7 and then it started making that creaking noise.

It's the first nightmare i've had in years
The internet is a terrible thing.

If they have a problem with their purchase they will make sure that NOBODY ELSE ENJOYS IT EITHER.

Once you root, everything will be wiped, you will have to go through the initial set up process you went through when you first turned it on. Pretty simple, IMO, but you will lose your app data (i.e. saved progress in Angry Birds) unless you have a backup program that saves app data.

If that's not an issue at all, then go ahead and root, it really is the only option if u wanna use the OTG cable

EDIT: Like iOS, your downloaded apps can be easily re-downloaded once you root by using the Play store

Thanks. Is there a preferred root tool/process?

wetwired

It's actually the unlocking process that will reset your nexus to defaults. Rooting is relatively easy once you've done that. I did it when I picked mine up 2 weeks ago. Then several days later I got the new os update and had to root it again (not unlock) and it was quick and I didn't lose by thing.

It's actually the unlocking process that will reset your nexus to defaults. Rooting is relatively easy once you've done that. I did it when I picked mine up 2 weeks ago. Then several days later I got the new os update and had to root it again (not unlock) and it was quick and I didn't lose by thing.

You're right, i totally brain-farted there

Thanks. Is there a preferred root tool/process?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-7-rooting-roms-hacks/190934-video-unlock-root-clockwork-nexus-7-tablet.html
There's a video too

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Am I an idiot for not noticing this only now or did 4.1.2 introduce landscape mode for the home screen?

Because that is totally rad.

Could have sworn it didn't work on default, which is why I usually lock it to portrait.

Cases came in the other day. They fix pretty snug though I'm pretty sure i'll switch the cases when I leave the house, I like have a cover to protect the screen.

3f72a5a42d8b0b998fc79d97e55fd9b4.jpg

Yes I am aware the screens are dirty. Damn screens are finger print magnets.
6b3e2207ae50c0b054858a13564f3521.jpg

Mordeccai

Ooohh whats this about an 8gb clearance? Already have the 8 gig model but my parents are interested in buying a tablet. Can a man hope for a 125$ clearance sale? that would be ridiculous.

Ooohh whats this about an 8gb clearance? Already have the 8 gig model but my parents are interested in buying a tablet. Can a man hope for a 125$ clearance sale? that would be ridiculous.

Even at 150, it would be a ridiculous price for an 8GB. I will buy one for my parents as well at that price.

pr0cs

I really wanted to get a N7 this weekend but it makes more sense to spend a coupla extra bucks and get the 32 when it drops.
I'm disappointed that the device doesn't have MHL but the google support is worth the loss in features vs a more expensive 3rd party device.

Threi

notag
Got another cheapie case for my N7 today (off ebay if any canadians are wondering)

so far: I like it. It's not PU leather so it doesn't stink like the other case, its a more fabricky type of material that is nicer to touch and than the PU leather. It definitely looks a LOT sleeker than the other case (mostly due to the plastic housing being black instead of generic grey). Being a cheapie there are some cut corners here and there (most obvious one to me is they went a little overboard with the glue on the back; didn't need to use so much) but aside from that I can't complain, especially considering the horror stories i've heard (and seen) of the more expensive poetic slimline cases.

Also came with a screen protector, stylus (of matching colour), and cleaning cloth so I'd say it's a better buy than the previous one.

Pics:

I can confirm that my Staples has them, but has not "unpacked" them yet. They didn't seem interested in unpacking it, so I left. But if you're anxious to get a 32GB model I would give Staples a try.

Top Bottom