• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Got another cheapie case for my N7 today (off ebay if any canadians are wondering)

so far: I like it. It's not PU leather so it doesn't stink like the other case, its a more fabricky type of material that is nicer to touch and than the PU leather. It definitely looks a LOT sleeker than the other case (mostly due to the plastic housing being black instead of generic grey). Being a cheapie there are some cut corners here and there (most obvious one to me is they went a little overboard with the glue on the back; didn't need to use so much) but aside from that I can't complain, especially considering the horror stories i've heard (and seen) of the more expensive poetic slimline cases.

Also came with a screen protector, stylus (of matching colour), and cleaning cloth so I'd say it's a better buy than the previous one.

Pics:

(will add later)

This looks like the type I've been wanting. Think I'm going to dive in.

Got another cheapie case for my N7 today (off ebay if any canadians are wondering)

so far: I like it. It's not PU leather so it doesn't stink like the other case, its a more fabricky type of material that is nicer to touch and than the PU leather. It definitely looks a LOT sleeker than the other case (mostly due to the plastic housing being black instead of generic grey). Being a cheapie there are some cut corners here and there (most obvious one to me is they went a little overboard with the glue on the back; didn't need to use so much) but aside from that I can't complain, especially considering the horror stories i've heard (and seen) of the more expensive poetic slimline cases.

Also came with a screen protector, stylus (of matching colour), and cleaning cloth so I'd say it's a better buy than the previous one.

Pics:

(will add later)

Those seem like a great deal and look quite nice too. Makes me want to chuck out my Touchpad dinosaur.

Somnid

8gbrip.jpg

Too bad Google got the message late. Maybe they'll have a Nexus Ambassador program.

What is this image from? It would be funny if it were from an Apple presentation since the iPad Mini if rumored to be 8 GB.

Jeff Bezos from the Amazon Kindle HD tablet conference.

Love the nexus 7 but I want to get my 360 controller working on it. I have the little $1 cable from amazon. What else do I need to get it working?

Somnid

What is this image from? It would be funny if it were from an Apple presentation since the iPad Mini if rumored to be 8 GB.

Jeff Bezos announcing the Kindle Fire HD. In his words "For a high-def device, 8 gigabytes is dead on arrival," Since then both Google and Kobo have dropped their 8GB models and replaced them with 16GB versions. Apparently people took it to heart.

fritolay

Question - Can you setup Android and this tablet so that you can choose a profile to login to, like Windows? I would like to have multiple people in the home use the device, but with their own settings and accounts.

Massa

Question - Can you setup Android and this tablet so that you can choose a profile to login to, like Windows? I would like to have multiple people in the home use the device, but with their own settings and accounts.

Not at the moment, but we know that Google is working on it. Maybe for 4.2?

Windows 8 tablets will have that feature.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'll upgrade to 32 GB when I run out of room for my entire comics collection and if the next one hasn't been announced.

Kaladin

So glad I was waiting on buying a tablet. 32GB solves the issues I had with the Nexus 7 of having small storage space. I'm going to be buying this as soon as Google is selling it.

Somnid

that message was a reaction to the Nexus 7's success.

I think it's pretty clear Amazon was planning on 16GB min. They launched like that and the rest of the market revised their spec sheets to compete. They had every right to drum it up. Even Google doesn't think their 8GB Nexus is/will be enough of a success or they wouldn't have dropped it and lowered the 16GB $50 in 3 months. That's an "Oh Shit" type of reaction.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So are the $149.99 comments on the 8GB just rumors/wishful thinking, or is it seriously likely?

For $149, I'll buy one!

LuchaShaq

Banned
Just a question for y'all since I got one as a prize in a raffle thing and am considering selling it sealed.

I have a chromebook that I love, and a galaxy note that I love. My gf also has an ipad that I use for the 2-3 ios only games I care about every year.

I'm trying to think when I would actually use this over my other devices? Not a troll or anything just curious how others with a setup like mine felt about their 7.

Lemonte

I have waited for 3months to buy Nexus7 and it was just released in Finland and I was about to buy 16gigs model but now I really want 32gb one :(

RevDM

Banned
I think I'm ready to buy this over the Fire HD. I was bummed that it's WiFi only, but I remembered the iPhone can be used as a mobile hotspot.

Alex

I learned how to root stuff earlier, I've still got a lot to pick up on since this is my first Android bit.

First thing I did on the advice of a friend was to remove the navbar and install this little app called button savior and wow, that really made a solid difference to me. It's also weird to me because I figured apps were designed around it and would just leave blank space, but no, for all the ones I've used they just go full screen now, even games. Very neat.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I learned how to root stuff earlier, I've still got a lot to pick up on since this is my first Android bit.

First thing I did on the advice of a friend was to remove the navbar and install this little app called button savior and wow, that really made a solid difference to me. It's also weird to me because I figured apps were designed around it and would just leave blank space, but no, for all the ones I've used they just go full screen now, even games. Very neat.
Both those are fantastic, and I suggest you try GMD Gestures too, these three utilities are indispensable to me now.

Be careful wwhat you wish for, next year is going to be very crazy with lots of releases. have seen the release schedule for 2 of the major vendors and it is going to be a wild ride 2013.

I know that Motorola are pushing about 5 or 6 devices out of the door next year. Who else looks busy?

RevDM

Banned
Be careful wwhat you wish for, next year is going to be very crazy with lots of releases. have seen the release schedule for 2 of the major vendors and it is going to be a wild ride 2013.

Can you elaborate on this?

Is there expected to be a major competitor for the 7" /$200 market?

Rumor mill has it a $99 nexus for Xmas?

Alex

Is there any app or anything that'll let you hide the notification bar other than just on the home screen?

Duxxy3

Glad that i exchanged my nexus 7 from the previous page. My new one doesn't seem to have any of the issues that my old one had.

Jeff-DSA

Well, I'm still rocking a Xoom. I love that it stays updated, but it's slow and after my wife has been carrying around a Nexus 7 for a couple of months, I'm ready to upgrade and I feel that the 7" tablet world is where I'm headed.

I'll wait until the 29th and see what happens. I could consider a 10" tablet again, but the N7 is just so nice to carry around that it's hard to think of staying on a larger screen. I'm hoping for a 32GB N7 with an SD card slot. If that is announced, I'm in for sure.

I'm also planning on getting 16GB N7s for my mom and dad for Christmas. It would be my dad's first tablet, and my mom is still using a Xoom like I am. She's on it all the time, so the sluggish speeds are starting to get quite noticeable to her.

It should be an interesting day on the 29th. Here's hoping for SD slots.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
How much would I be able to get rid of a 16GB N7 for at this point in time? Is it even worth it to sell it?

Probably not much, if you are looking to upgrade to the 32gb just buy a USB dongle and thumbdrive. For 25 bucks got a dongle and a 64GB thumbdrive. You don't even need root thanks to Nexus Media Importer(though I do have root and custom rom).

VoxPop

Maybe $179 but you need to sell it right away before the 32gb N7 is announced for the same price as the 16gb.

Enduin said:
Probably not much, if you are looking to upgrade to the 32gb just buy a USB dongle and thumbdrive. For 25 bucks got a dongle and a 64GB thumbdrive. You don't even need root thanks to Nexus Media Importer(though I do have root and custom rom).

Thanks guys. I was actually thinking of picking up an iPad mini but might even consider waiting since I probably will get it for free from someone as my birthday is coming up in early November and the fact they know I love gadgets.

I wholeheartedly enjoy my N7 (aside from lack of apps) right now and don't think it'll be worth it to sell it at this point.

Top Bottom