• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Shai-Tan

Banned
MX Player is great, handled everything I've ever tossed at it. One thing I appreciate is its ability to handle subtitle files well, whereas when I had my iPad absolutely nothing could handle subtitle files without choking and skipping lines, wonder if that's better now.

It's definitely better than any of the ios video players but if you don't mind transcoding Air Video on ios can do subs without issues. AvplayerHD has the support, it's playback is just all over the place (maybe due to the slower CPU).

Alex

Yeah, that's the one I had on iPad 2 and 3, AVPlayer HD. It always wound up going through big spurts of eating lines in tv shows and movies.

I was hoping they had fixed it by now.

GavinGT

Banned
Can someone explain how to update to 4.1.2 on a rooted Nexus 7 with ClockWorkMod installed? When I click the OTA update notification, it takes me to CWM which then doesn't allow the update to apply.

EDIT: So I guess the problem was that I had deleted a system app, so the update process was failing with error code 7. I just used the edited update file in this thread to get the update.

midonnay

The main problem with the Tegra (as well as the SoC in the iPad) is it doesn't support hardware decoding of Dolby ac3. I find it's only just fast enough to software decode which means you maybe get some hiccups that wouldn't happen if Nvidia bothered to get a license to do it in hardware. I find it completely unplayable on the iPad devices using AvplayerHD or CineXplayer but maybe the a6x or newer chips will fix that. Maybe a new Tegra for the refresh will have the hw decode else an a15 cpu can probably do it at the expense of battery life.

The workaround on a home network is to use transcoding software like Emit on android or Air Video on ios but the video quality isn't quite the same especially on the Nexus where it can show the video with a 1:1 pixel mapping instead of scaling up or down

Bs player handles DTS/ac3 just fine

Dice player handles it with a plugin

sca2511

What's the difference between Flipbook and Google Currents? I downloaded Flipbook recently and noticed it's pretty much Currents in a different skin. Are there any pros and cons between them both?

Cipherr

Feedly is superior to Flipboard and Currents. Looks fantastic on the 7 too.

Seriously? I mean, I fucking love flipboard. The smooth gestures, the performance and the presentation, the widget where I can cycle through the top stories real quick, and see one of the top stories when swiping by that particular homescreen. Its just an all around great news app. I would be genuinely shocked if theres something out there better than it. but Ill check this 'Feedly' out.

bob page

Feedly is superior to Flipboard and Currents. Looks fantastic on the 7 too.
No way. Flipboard is the main reason I got rid of my N7 and still use my iPad every day. Because of its amazing tablet UI, I read news much, much more and it's become pretty much an extension of the device.

Feedly for Chrome is great but the mobile apps are just bland and uninspired in comparison.

Once they port over the real Flipboard I'll be ready to switch back.

Alex

I'm trying Pulse out, Flipboard wasn't really doing it for me in terms of feed selection and I hated being stuck with that giant TOP STORIES block that took up the whole first page.

Never heard of Feedly and never really tried Currents.

I'm trying Pulse out, Flipboard wasn't really doing it for me in terms of feed selection and I hated being stuck with that giant TOP STORIES block that took up the whole first page.

Never heard of Feedly and never really tried Currents.

Flipboard is great, one of the reasons why is because it can add any source. Just click the red ribbon with the magnifying glass icon and you can search for websites, twitter feeds, rss feeds, and more. Way more sources than Feedly, Currents, or Pulse.

Phoenix

Flipboard is great, one of the reasons why is because it can add any source. Just click the red ribbon with the magnifying glass icon and you can search for websites, twitter feeds, rss feeds, and more. Way more sources than Feedly, Currents, or Pulse.

Yep. For browsing news, Flipboard is the ultimate power in the universe.

I disagree! I find Pulse to be a much better alternative to Flipboard and I used to love Flipboard until they only supported Phones and 7 inch tablets. When I wanted to use it on my Xoom & Transformer I couldn't unless I used an old APK.

womp

Flipping through *one* story at a time is the ultimate news browsing power in the universe? LOL

Sorry, Flipboard on Android is a total piece of crap that needs to be on the same level as the iPad version. At least on there you are able to get multiple stories per screen. Flipboard on the iPad was one of the few apps I really enjoyed on that thing.

I don't understand why everyone loves flipping through a *single* page of a big graphic taking up the *entire* screen of the device. To me that just isn't functional news aggregation.

If anything Feedly on the Nexus 7 performs just like Flipboard on the iPad in terms of layout and I don't understand why anyone wouldn't like it unless you demand cute little page flipping animations. :p

I connect it to my Google Reader account and away I go. Feedly freaking owns.

No way. Flipboard is the main reason I got rid of my N7 and still use my iPad every day. Because of its amazing tablet UI, I read news much, much more and it's become pretty much an extension of the device.

Feedly for Chrome is great but the mobile apps are just bland and uninspired in comparison.

Once they port over the real Flipboard I'll be ready to switch back.

That is exactly why Flipboard on Android is a piece of shit. As I said, Feedly on the Nexus 7 performs just like Flipboard in tablet mode.

Feedly for Chrome? Dunno about that but Feedly is a full fledged Android app that looks and runs great on tablets and phones. Much nicer than Flipboard for Android anyway.

DagsJT

Flipping through *one* story at a time is the ultimate news browsing power in the universe? LOL

Sorry, Flipboard on Android is a total piece of crap that needs to be on the same level as the iPad version. At least on there you are able to get multiple stories per screen. Flipboard on the iPad was one of the few apps I really enjoyed on that thing.

I don't understand why everyone loves flipping through a *single* page of a big graphic taking up the *entire* screen of the device. To me that just isn't functional news aggregation.

If anything Feedly on the Nexus 7 performs just like Flipboard on the iPad in terms of layout and I don't understand why anyone wouldn't like it unless you demand cute little page flipping animations. :p

I connect it to my Google Reader account and away I go. Feedly freaking owns.

Flipboard is awful on the Nexus 7, not even close to how good it is on iPad. Currents works well though.

womp

Flipboard is awful on the Nexus 7, not even close to how good it is on iPad. Currents works well though.

I know that, which is why I was recommending Feedly. :p

I have wanted to love Currents since it launched but it is rarely updated and is a horrible pig when it comes to CPU and bandwidth. It needs major work.

DagsJT

I know that, which is why I was recommending Feedly. :p

I have wanted to love Currents since it launched but it is rarely updated and is a horrible pig when it comes to CPU and bandwidth. It needs major work.

Sorry, I was agreeing with you. Currents updates every day for me, if not multiple times. At least TV Guide and Kotaku do anyway :D

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is it? I've never really had problems concerning its performance footprint on the nexus 7.

Updating could be better, but I find that it is reliable enough.

womp

Sorry, I was agreeing with you. Currents updates every day for me, if not multiple times. At least TV Guide and Kotaku do anyway :D

Ahh, yeah, I see that now. I don't know man, I just find Currents to be a bit of a pig in usage...I would love to use it, I love the Google integration, but it just isn't fast enough for me and takes forever to update. :(

These things are so damned personal...heh

But anyway, I just think everyone should give Feedly another shot especially since it had a recent update that basically did a little overhaul for the better. In any case, viewing a single story at a time on Flipboard is just flat out stupid. LOL

DagsJT

New owner here, could you guys suggest a basket of must own apps please? :D

Perfect Viewer (for comics)
Solid Explorer
Skydrive
BS Player
MX Player
AdAway (needs root)
Friendcaster
Tweet Lanes

BBC Good Food has just been released and all books are free for a limited time so worth grabbing that now.

Games:

Bad Piggies
Beach Buggy Blitz
Dungeon Village
Granny Smith
Gyro
Monsters Ate My Condo
Rayman Jungle Run
Rebuild
Ski Safari
The Curse
Tiny Bang Story

OP could/should be updated with common suggestions for best apps, would be far easier for new buyers.

pr0cs

I wonder how long after the official launch on the 29th the 32gb models will appear in Canada. Hoping the discount on the 16 is significant enough, I don't see myself needing 32 to be honest.

pants

Oh wow that pocket app looks cool, I have an android phone as well so that would be great.

Thanks a lot dags!

Alex

I've been trying feedly on the reccomendations and yeah, I think I like this one best. It seems to just be a literal interpretation of google reader but arranges it in a way that really suits the nexus 7 and the whole magazine style of things. Def my favorite between the ones I've tried (Flipbook, Pulse, Currents and it)

I was annoyed at some shortcomings of it, compared to other bits, like being able to rename things and other organization quirks, but you can just do that from google reader, resync, and it works great.

RevDM

Banned
I'll be picking one up and the end of the month after the announcements. Where is the best place to get one? Amazon tends to be my go-to place, but... you know.

Free ship, no tax is idea. Looks like Costco wont be carrying them either?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'll be picking one up and the end of the month after the announcements. Where is the best place to get one? Amazon tends to be my go-to place, but... you know.

Free ship, no tax is idea. Looks like Costco wont be carrying them either?

You can order one straight from Google.

I to and looking at maybe getting one post conference if we get the rumored price drop/gb changes.

It's been a pretty great year for tablet competition. Now that Apple has dropped their iPad mini bomb (more of a dud), I'm definitely leaning towards the Nexus 7 camp. Will enjoy looking through this thread to see what people love/hate about the product.

Alex

I like Pocket, and how it saves every bit of the article. I wish there was a reader with that kind of functionality just built into it, as well, instead of havin' to boot up the site for a lot of stuff.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I like how pocket work but I kinda want something like it that just automatically download a set amount of whatever site I direct it to automatically.

Also really wish there's an app that caches youtube videos.

Angst

I like how pocket work but I kinda want something like it that just automatically download a set amount of whatever site I direct it to automatically.

Also really wish there's an app that caches youtube videos.
YouTube's watch later feature isn't what you're looking for? I use it a lot and it works really good for my needs.

Top Bottom