• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

_Isaac

I use it too, but I have problem to play videos Fullscreen. The picture is flickering or black as long as fullscreen is active. Is this a common problem?

Oh and what is a good case for the Nexus7? For the last month I didn't need to take it anywhere, but now I want to take it along for a trainride - but not without a casing.

I got the Poetic Slimline case.
http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Slimline-Portfolio-Automatically-Manufacturer/dp/B008NMCPTQ
rGFkp.jpg

It looks kinda nice. It's not bulky. You can fold it all the way back, so it's not obtrusive and in your way when you're reading. It's also a smart case, so when you open it up it turn on the display and when you close it up it turns it off. You can also fold it in a few ways to make it as a stand although it doesn't feel terribly stable. You can stand it up on a table an it'll be fine though. If you fold it a lot I know the lining on the edge starts to peel a tiny bit, but I just glue them back on with super glue no problem. I like it so far although I don't have much experience with tablets or cases. I know a bunch of other people here were planning on getting this case, so they might give their impressions as well.

vdlow

Chrome, which is not as perfect as the desktop version, but still the best overall for me, and thanks to root, I installed Jelly Bean stock browser to see flash content.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I got the Poetic case too, great stuff especially for the price. Only thing I don't like is because of the soft material on the inside of the cover, holding it with the cover folded back is a little awkward.

Which browser does everyone use?

Google Chrome

chrome is garbage because you cant fullscreen. i use firefox which allows fullscreen, and also gestures can be used with an add-on, that allows switching between tabs, and opening and closing tabs. in combination with hiding the nav bar, i get full screen usage on my tab 2 10.1. shit is ballin. oh, and flash works too.

i-Lo

Questions from android n00b:

Can I tweak "Root" w/o voiding the warranty? (I need that ad blocker).

Using the PS3 media server (and bubbleUPnP), I can smoothly only playback MKV files in MX Player. However, for some reason no other video format (like mp4, wmv, avi) will stream. Anyone know how I can stream those media formats?

Thanks in advance.

Threi

notag
I use it too, but I have problem to play videos Fullscreen. The picture is flickering or black as long as fullscreen is active. Is this a common problem?

Oh and what is a good case for the Nexus7? For the last month I didn't need to take it anywhere, but now I want to take it along for a trainride - but not without a casing.

Got another cheapie case for my N7 today (off ebay if any canadians are wondering)

so far: I like it. It's not PU leather so it doesn't stink like the other case, its a more fabricky type of material that is nicer to touch and than the PU leather. It definitely looks a LOT sleeker than the other case (mostly due to the plastic housing being black instead of generic grey). Being a cheapie there are some cut corners here and there (most obvious one to me is they went a little overboard with the glue on the back; didn't need to use so much) but aside from that I can't complain, especially considering the horror stories i've heard (and seen) of the more expensive poetic slimline cases.

Also came with a screen protector, stylus (of matching colour), and cleaning cloth so I'd say it's a better buy than the previous one.

Pics:

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

I have the poetic that is quite popular. I intend to buy one of these beasts though:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AJBWJA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Alex

Chrome runs the best, for me, well largely. I like the features of Boat Browser, but I run into hiccups with it that really peeve me.

I hope that they do some more with Chrome on Android, pretty soon.

I had Dolphin for awhile on iOS, I kind of liked that, I should see if that's OK on here.

Ecto311

Did some reading here and whats the consensus on the Nexus 7? Would it be wise to get one soon at walmart (only place I can find local that has them instock) and try to get a refund/replacement if a new one is announced? They are showing a 15 day replacement timing. We should know something about new models by then?

i-Lo

Questions from android n00b:

Can I tweak "Root" w/o voiding the warranty? (I need that ad blocker).

Using the PS3 media server (and bubbleUPnP), I can smoothly only playback MKV files in MX Player. However, for some reason no other video format (like mp4, wmv, avi) will stream. Anyone know how I can stream those media formats?

Thanks in advance.

Halp!?

3phemeral

Looks like AOKP finally hit their JB Milestone 1:

With the news of Android 4.2 on the horizon, we at Team Kang felt you, the end-user, deserved to see a Milestone build. With a massive surge of effort and contributions, we have one for you now, and hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

The wait for 4.2 begins now. We won't release any new builds until it gets pushed to AOSP and merged into our source. Don't worry though; we are already working on some awesome new features, you may have seen some teasers on Twitter/G+ already!

This time we definitely focused on fixes, we managed to close each bug report received on Rootz and Twitter in the last few weeks.

But AOKP isn't AOKP without new features, right?
Adjustable NavBar width for Tablets
Allow "Vibrate on Touch" behavior for Slide unlock
Toggles can be hidden like in ICS - long press on the Settings button!
Clickable (short & long configurable) Clock and Calendar in the Notification Slider
Further notes:
Evita (AT&T HTC One X / XL) is back!
Tunas (Galaxy Nexus phones) ship with a different kernel (LeanKernel 4.5.0), you might need to reset your Color/CPU settings in ROMControl. Do it if you encounter any weird colors (usually green) on your screen.
Grouper (Nexus 7) includes the stock kernel from Google
Happy flashing!

The following devices are supported thus far:

Release Date: 28 Oct 2012
maguro Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
toro Verizon Galaxy Nexus (LTE)
toroplus Sprint Galaxy Nexus
crespo Nexus S
crespo4g Nexus S 4G
grouper Nexus 7
d2vzw Verizon Galaxy S3

Threi

notag
Did some reading here and whats the consensus on the Nexus 7? Would it be wise to get one soon at walmart (only place I can find local that has them instock) and try to get a refund/replacement if a new one is announced? They are showing a 15 day replacement timing. We should know something about new models by then?
Put it this way; caring too much about potential updates/better hardware in the future will put you in an endless waiting game, and even if you do decide to buy something you will wind up angry because something new gets announced/rumored quickly after (like XDAers)

What is available now are devices of good value (for tablets anyways), If what the nexus 7 offers now is good enough for you, then why not buy it?

That being said the 8GB sku will stop being sold soon, the 16GB will drop to $199, and the 32GB will hit shelves. This is all happening very soon, within a week's time. So the most i can say is don't buy it now, but rather after the pricedrop hits. The Nexus 10 is on the horizon and the 3G Nexus 7 is rumored. By the time those come out some other new hardware/refresh will be rumored anyways, so just buy what you feel will satisfy your needs in a tablet.

exYle

My screen rotation lock button in the notification area seems to have disappeared. Is anyone else having this problem?

Just walked into a future shop and they have the 32gb in stock and on sale. $269 for the 32gb and $259 for the 16gb. Fuckers.

pr0cs

Just walked into a future shop and they have the 32gb in stock and on sale. $269 for the 32gb and $259 for the 16gb. Fuckers.

damn.
I wonder what the 16gb price will be, I'm not sure it's worth another $50 when the 16gb tablet I have now has only run out of space once and only because I installed a boatload of massive games on it.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Now that its official, fuck you for bumping my tablet 3 months after I bought it Google. :(

or in my case two month after it went on sale here (germany), thats really kind of dumb...

i know something like this would happen sooner or later, but two month?

sucks

surly

Banned
This is the first android device I will own. Will it be easy to update the OS to Key Lime Pie?
Yep! The Nexus devices get the updates straight away, which is one of their main strengths over other Android devices. If you want a vanilla Android experience and updates as soon as they're available then a Nexus phone/tablet is the way to go (although I still love my S3 :p).

The update process is a piece of cake too. You'll get a notification that an update is available (and you can also check manually whenever you like). Click it. Say yes to updating. Wait a couple of minutes for the update to run. The device will reboot and you're good to go.

BFIB

Welcome to the club RevDM. Its an awesome, awesome tablet. Rooting takes about 5 minutes, playing GTA 3 with my Dual-Shock is awesome.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I was waiting for the price drop. Think I might jump in now, Just have to decide between the 16 gig and 32 gig models.

Is there anything to watch out for in terms of hardware defects still?

I think they should give 16 GB early adopters another 25$ play store credit. Really bothers me that it only took two months. I love the device but man I could use those other 16 gigs.

Top Bottom