• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys. I am planning on ordering my Nexus in a few weeks.

I already own a poetic case since that was the best reviewed I could find at the time, even though what I really wanted was something similar to an Otterbox case.

Now I see these "Bobj" cases on amazon and they look just perfect:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A3SQAI9BQY42F6

The price is right. Does anyone here have one? I'd love to hear your opinion.

I like Pocket, and how it saves every bit of the article. I wish there was a reader with that kind of functionality just built into it, as well, instead of havin' to boot up the site for a lot of stuff.

Feedly? Well it does save the articles in your google account so basically you have the same articles whatever rss reader app you use.

I have switched completely to Feedly it still feels the best on the N7, Currents coming in close second.

Flipboard will get a reinstall when they give me an ipad like interface.

womp

Feedly? Well it does save the articles in your google account so basically you have the same articles whatever rss reader app you use.

I have switched completely to Feedly it still feels the best on the N7, Currents coming in close second.

Flipboard will get a reinstall when they give me an ipad like interface.

Yep. 100% agreed.

Tried Feedly but it just felt a bit sluggish compared to Currents.

Feedly is smooth as buttah here. o_O

JonnyBrad

Speaking of Currents. Has anyone noticed that the publisher feeds are way behind in updates?

Like if i add the Verge's publisher feed the top article is one that is 3 hrs behind all the other news apps.

Makes it completely useless to me.

adroit

Speaking of Currents. Has anyone noticed that the publisher feeds are way behind in updates?
Yes. I gave Currents a try and that was exactly what I noticed. Lagging hours behind the web sites themselves is not useful to me. Why did they name it "Currents"? Were they being sarcastic?

JonnyBrad

Yes. I gave Currents a try and that was exactly what I noticed. Lagging hours behind the web sites themselves is not useful to me. Why did they name it "Currents"? Were they being sarcastic?

Yeah I downloaded it on my iPhone as well. Its exactly the same. So obviously its inherent to the back end. Pretty poor. I would love to use it as my main reader as I love the UI but that is as ridiculous as it gets as a deal breaker.

sca2511

Like if i add the Verge's publisher feed the top article is one that is 3 hrs behind all the other news apps.

Makes it completely useless to me.

Seems up to date with me, but I do check it once a day. Getting back into Feedly, it looks much better than it did the last time I used it, I'll be trying it as my main feed app for a few weeks. Not sure how to explain it, but it's similar to Flipboard, but just better.

JonnyBrad

Seems up to date with me, but I do check it once a day. Getting back into Feedly, it looks much better than it did the last time I used it, I'll be trying it as my main feed app for a few weeks. Not sure how to explain it, but it's similar to Flipboard, but just better.

If you check it once a day its fine. If your checking it more often then you'll find its 2-3 hrs behind. Obviously not a deal breaker for some but it is for me.

I like feedlay BTW. But is there a way to stop it marking a story as rad after you read it? I don't like having to go to history to read an article again if I've refreshed.

Just bought a nexus 7 for my brother's birthday at Futureshop for $259.99. What do you guys think are the chances of them honoring some sort of discount once the 32gb is announced and priced?

Hi, I've rooted my N7 and have been using stickmount to access a usb stick attached via an adaptor. Stupid question - can i get this to auto-mount on attach, or do I need to mount it myself in the app every time?

Its not a massive problem going into the app, but it seems stupid that I get a popup to let me know I've connected the stick - but it doesn't often seem to mount itself?

Thanks

Dave

Just bought a nexus 7 for my brother's birthday at Futureshop for $259.99. What do you guys think are the chances of them honoring some sort of discount once the 32gb is announced and priced?

Future Shop has 30 day price protection. They will absolutely honour a discount.

Lucario

I rooted my nexus 7, installed a custom kernel, and played around with the boot menu.

Now I'm getting an "unrecognized archive" issue when I try to update.... Which is to say, I cannot update. Anybody know how I can either reverse my rooting/get rid of clockwork mod to fix this?

Threi

notag
You have to be on the stock kernel (and revert any changes to /system) before you update.

I think you can find the stock kernel if you search xda (iirc its a boot.img you have to flash)

vdlow

I had problems when updating to 4.1.2. The system rebooted to install the package, and then Clockwork Mod asked me if I wanted to install the .zip, even though it was an unsigned one. I chose yes and then an error ocurred. After asking the guys over XDA, I learned that the error happened because I modified the build.prop so I could use the Nexus with tablet interface. I had to find an original build.prop and use it over my modified one. Once I done it, the update went smooth. =)

I saw some people out there with the same problem, maybe this will help them. I found the build.prop here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1783152

Finally...

Feedly is much nicer than Flipboard on Android. Glad everyone is giving it another shot.

Another plus for feedly which I discovered today is the chrome extension which also makes the google reader experience on the PC much nicer.

-----

I need a new case for this, thin and with the magnet cover preferred.

Looking for something like this. Is this one any good?

Cipherr

sigh... I guess I should go ahead and download this 'feedly'. But I highly doubt it will replace flipboard. I just fucking love it, yall crazy.

storafötter;43592348 said:
Thanks for the tip. Seems like the best reviewed one.

The company has excellent customer service too. I ordered some and out of frustration couldn't apply either of the 2 provided protectors correctly and pitched them. The company recently followed up via email looking to see if I could post an Amazon review and I let them know my issue and they offered a free replacement and gave additional guidance for applying them. Very responsive and helpful when the issue was with me, not their product quality.

womp

All you guys using these RSS aggregation apps have Google Reader accounts, right?

I guess I just make that assumption as a long time user of the service but it is so great to just tap a button and have all my feeds imported into something such as Feedly. Sooooo smooooth with that pop up sidebar feed selection. :)

womp

I think womp works for Feedly

LOL , nah. Honestly, I am not even a big fan of these types of apps...but I get so tired of Flipboard being held up in regard as high as it is and it doesn't even have a tablet UI, which I find pretty ridiculous.

If it performed and was presented as it is over on the iPad? I'd understand the love more. I enjoyed Flipboard on the iPad, but on Android? Feedly does the same damn thing and IMO better (more options), in terms of meeting that similar presentation and functionality.

Obviously everyone should use what they prefer and like but I am always looking for bigger and better apps to use. I swear some people just like that fancy page turning animation.

deleted

Boat Browser.

I use it too, but I have problem to play videos Fullscreen. The picture is flickering or black as long as fullscreen is active. Is this a common problem?

Oh and what is a good case for the Nexus7? For the last month I didn't need to take it anywhere, but now I want to take it along for a trainride - but not without a casing.

exYle

Is there anyway to stop this thing from rotating upside down when watching YouTube videos? Like, Jesus fucking Christ.

Top Bottom