• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

google doesn't want flash on there platforms because it wants all the revenue it can get from there play store

wish I can seriously just say fuck all this non-sense and just give me a Windows 8 Pro 7" Tablet with a i5 and decent GPU, with a back panel touch for scrolling, at least I know flash will be continue to be supported on desktop OSes.

Google did want flash on Android, and it's still bundled with desktop Chrome. Adobe chose to cancel development for mobile devices.

Chrome for Android doesn't support Flash because Adobe already said a while back they were going to cancel Flash for mobile. Why bother getting it to work if it's going to be unavailable soon. Google doesn't mind competition with the Play store, they allow competing stores to be installed.

BTW Flash is gimped in Metro IE and desktop IE is going to suck on a 7" screen (if OEMs can even get an i5 to fit in a 7" tablet due to heating and battery issues).

I'm just about to order this thing but, I have one more question about storage.

Since I have an android phone that supports Wifi and has a 16GB micro sd card in it, is there a way to simply use the phone itself as my personal cloud storage device and access it with my Nexus 7? Did that make sense?

I just don't want to pay the extra $50 for 8 more GB of space.

Dizzan

MINI Member
No they didn't use Facebook in the video. But like I said, it's not different from the phone version.

I'm so conflicted if I sell my iPad and get this or not. Not just the Facebook thing but mainly the small size.

Would have loved 8 to 10 inches.

Cartman86

Banned
I'm just about to order this thing but, I have one more question about storage.

Since I have an android phone that supports Wifi and has a 16GB micro sd card in it, is there a way to simply use the phone itself as my personal cloud storage device and access it with my Nexus 7? Did that make sense?

I just don't want to pay the extra $50 for 8 more GB of space.

Even if there was a easy way to do that the battery sucking between the devices would be pretty bad. The way I could think of doing it would be to run a DLNA server on your phone. iMediashare or something like it. Then run an app that can read that server on the tablet (probably the same app you used to share in the first place). I don't know if this will work at all though. You might need to be connected to a home network... I'm gonna guess this wont work the way you want.

Even if there was a easy way to do that the battery sucking between the devices would be pretty bad. The way I could think of doing it would be to run a DLNA server on your phone. iMediashare or something like it. Then run an app that can read that server on the tablet (probably the same app you used to share in the first place). I don't know if this will work at all though. You might need to be connected to a home network...

That makes sense. I guess it would be one of those 'even if you could do it should you do it' things. I mean if my phone is in my pocket and I wanna hear music I don't need my nexus for that.

8GB it is.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Hopefully this lack of memory issue means that google is heading towards cloud storage for apps and games. I might be dreaming but they are moving everything else to the cloud.

GOT DAMN, that Verge review only makes me want it even more.

Why the hell isn't it out yet. :(

Quick question, how will they handle the 25 dollar credit? Will it added to my google wallet or will a voucher be included in the box? They probably haven't specified yet, but I figured I'd ask in case they had and I missed it.

kehs

Banned
Did google demo google + on this thing during the keynote?

Yup.

GOT DAMN, that Verge review only makes me want it even more.

Why the hell isn't it out yet. :(

Quick question, how will they handle the 25 dollar credit? Will it added to my google wallet or will a voucher be included in the box? They probably haven't specified yet, but I figured I'd ask in case they had and I missed it.

When you sign into the device the credit get added to your account.

Kokonoe

Banned
3Pu3EHP1QUr9oI-YdIPQE5BxWYVGZ_DzPwhReSX9XSBRckTHFrBr6PV8DDQIY7S8usk

On the left, what is that from?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Wish Google would hurry up and launch their services here in Australia, as this looks really cool - Spotify, MOG, Rdio etc are all working, not sure why they can't get their stuff up and running. They seem to forget the world exists outside the US.

kehs

Banned
Could Facebook and twitter release the tablet version for this later on?

They could do it right now if they wanted to.

----

Totally unrelated, I couldn't figure out why the nexus logo on the back of this thing was bugging me, until I realized they're using the roboto font for it. Totally makes it look weird.

Decided to go with the 16GB version. I cannot wait for this thing to ship, it's going to tear me apart every day I don't have it D:

Phoenix

Hopefully this lack of memory issue means that google is heading towards cloud storage for apps and games. I might be dreaming but they are moving everything else to the cloud.

You can already do all of this via GoogleDrive, AppEngine, or hell even EC2 and S3. This is a problem of developers not solving the problem themselves moreso than there being no mechanism to do so.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
I have been in the market for a tablet and the Nexus7 has piqued my interest. Athough, I typically use mostly Apple products. I have a MacBook, iPhone, etc. I was interested in the iPad 3 until it was announced that there was only a 10" version. I am looking for something a little smaller and that is why the Nexus7 caught my eye.

I want a tablet for a few things: mainly browsing and watching shows/movies while I'm at my girlfriend's. Her roommate has the Kardashians on loop pretty much 24/7 and every time I'm there I want to shoot myself in the face.

My question is, do you guys foresee any issues/difficulties of using devices with different OS's? The iPad's price (and size) just don't seem to be a good choice for me. But, if I'm going to be buying 2 verisons of every app (for the Nexus7 and my iPhone), I think it would be a bit foolish of me to go for the Nexus7.

The device, however, does look great and exactly what I'm looking for. Let's just say if it was a 7" version of the iPad, it'd already be bought. Any thoughts?

Aesius

Would it make sense for a Galaxy Nexus owner to pick this up? I mean...is the extra 2.5 inches in screen size worth it?

I feel like I can browse pretty effectively on my phone as it is.

kehs

Banned
Would it make sense for a Galaxy Nexus owner to pick this up? I mean...is the extra 2.5 inches in screen size worth it?

I feel like I can browse pretty effectively on my phone as it is.

I'm changing my Galaxy Nexus for a Nexus S as soon as my N7 gets in. I browse on the GN at home most of the time, even over my laptop.

I have been in the market for a tablet and the Nexus7 has piqued my interest. Athough, I typically use mostly Apple products. I have a MacBook, iPhone, etc. I was interested in the iPad 3 until it was announced that there was only a 10" version. I am looking for something a little smaller and that is why the Nexus7 caught my eye.

I want a tablet for a few things: mainly browsing and watching shows/movies while I'm at my girlfriend's. Her roommate has the Kardashians on loop pretty much 24/7 and every time I'm there I want to shoot myself in the face.

My question is, do you guys foresee any issues/difficulties of using devices with different OS's? The iPad's price (and size) just don't seem to be a good choice for me. But, if I'm going to be buying 2 verisons of every app (for the Nexus7 and my iPhone), I think it would be a bit foolish of me to go for the Nexus7.

The device, however, does look great and exactly what I'm looking for. Let's just say if it was a 7" version of the iPad, it'd already be bought. Any thoughts?
honestly, even though I'm a current ipad user who impulse bought the nexus 7, I think you should get an ipad. If watching stuff is that important, you'll appreciate the bigger screen. The retina display is a sight to behold for reading things/watching stuff. Then as you mentioned, there is the added benefit of sticking to your current ecosystem, use the same apps on your iphone/ipad. If the price is too much, then just get a 7, if you can swallow the price, get an ipad 3.

That's just me though.

Gamestop doesn't take the Transformer keyboard dock as trade-in. That's a bummer, but I saw it coming. I'm going to preorder a unit at GS so there's no shipping and I would pay tax either way.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
honestly, even though I'm a current ipad user who impulse bought the nexus 7, I think you should get an ipad. If watching stuff is that important, you'll appreciate the bigger screen. The retina display is a sight to behold for reading things/watching stuff. Then as you mentioned, there is the added benefit of sticking to your current ecosystem, use the same apps on your iphone/ipad. If the price is too much, then just get a 7, if you can swallow the price, get an ipad 3.

That's just me though.

something to think about. thanks man!

fuzzyset

That makes sense. I guess it would be one of those 'even if you could do it should you do it' things. I mean if my phone is in my pocket and I wanna hear music I don't need my nexus for that.

8GB it is.

I would look into this. Most devices don't support ad hoc or p2p network, which is what that would be. Could be wrong though...

DagsJT

Finding it more difficult than I expected to shift an iPad. But really want the Nexus 7 so off to eBay it goes.

The Nexus 7 from GameStop comes with $25 Google Play credit and Transformers:Dark of the Moon preloaded. No mention of books or magazines on the in-store signage.

Hmm, I'm tempted to buy it from gamestop now....but I am worried that they will not get enough or will sell my preorder lol

nemesun

I was just a click away from preording two 8gigs today but decided against it simply because of the shipping cost. Here's hoping they retail it near my neck of the woods.

th3dude

Anyone go through the experience of changing their order from the 8gb to the 16gb? If so, what do I need to do and how was the experience?

Top Bottom