• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Cartman86

Banned
Oh, I see. Is Flash really shitty on Android?

Depends on the site. Some sites it runs surprisingly well. Others it will crash when going full screen, or it just lags the device. The video quality and smoothness is always fine, but that seems to effect the OS. You'll need to download the standard Android browser (or whatever other browser supports Flash) to get it to work though. Chrome doesn't support it, and Chrome has now replaced that standard phone browser on the tablet.

Izick

Flash is really shitty on everything.
I understand that, but for a lot of the sites I like that use Blip, it's the only game in town.
Depends on the site. Some sites it runs surprisingly well. Others it will crash when going full screen, or it just lags the device. The video quality and smoothness is always fine, but that seems to effect the OS. You'll need to download the standard Android browser to get it to work though. Chrome doesn't support it, and Chrome has now replaced that standard phone browser on the tablet.

Ugh, that sucks. Easily watching videos was a big part of why I was considering picking this up...

And when combined with little internal storage and the feature-set of Nexus Q ... it's obvious what they're trying to do.

Yeah, they're trying to simplify the user experience and ensure good performance. Google cares more about the mass market than a few power users. Same reason why Amazon and Apple don't support external storage.

Cartman86

Banned
I understand that, but for a lot of the sites I like that use Blip, it's the only game in town.

Ugh, that sucks. Easily watching videos was a big part of why I was considering picking this up...

Just tried Blip.tv and the mobile site doesn't seem to just use flash. I got it working in Chrome and the standard browser without flash. It doesn't appear to have any controls though. Can't pause or go into fullscreen for example. You also have to press on the black square a bunch of times for it to actually play for some reason.

DckAj.png

Wish flash on my phone running 4.1 it works perfectly fine if you don't go into full screen. Landscape and portrait work, but the second you press that fullscreen flash button it hangs and crashes the browser.

So yeah Flash kind of sucks, but so do websites that don't follow common fucking video standards.

Izick

Just tried Blip.tv and the mobile site doesn't seem to just use flash. I got it working in Chrome and the standard browser without flash. It doesn't appear to have any controls though. Can't pause or go into fullscreen for example. You also have to press on the black square a bunch of times for it to actually play for some reason.

Wish flash on my phone running 4.1 it works perfectly fine if you don't go into full screen. Landscape and portrait work, but the second you press that fullscreen flash button it hangs and crashes the browser.

So yeah Flash kind of sucks, but so do websites that don't follow common fucking video standards.

I never actually use Blip.tv, rather sites like the Spoony Experiment that use it. How's Justin/Twitch.tv?

kehs

Banned
I'm confused by all the articles/videos saying how they feel like if they handed this off to a "casual" user they'd get around just fine, but nothing has fundamentally changed since honeycomb tablets.

-_-

$199 Google Nexus 7 tablet has only 5.92GB of free memory and no micro SD card slot

The most eye-popping thing about the Google Nexus 7 tablet is without a doubt its price - Google and Asus really undercut the competition with the $199 starting price for the 8GB version of the Nexus 7 tablet, but one thing we’d want to point your attention to is that with it you end up with a dangerous combination of very little internal storage and no microSD card option for expanding it in anyway.

It’s not even 8GB that you have at your disposal - system files take up a good quarter of that, so you’re left with only 5.92GB of free space for all your apps, games, music and movies, and for many this might be a dealbreaker.

Interestingly, Google has opted to repeatedly cut on the microSD card option, obviously trying to tie us deeper with its cloud ecosystem which - truth be told - wasn’t completely ready. Now, however, Andy Rubin himself admits that Google has a much more mature cloud storage system.

But with no cellular connectivity option for the Nexus 7, you can access that cloud data only when there’s Wi-Fi available. That expandable storage would have been more than welcome, but if you’re ready to make do with its absence. it seems that the 16GB Nexus 7 for $250 will be your only choice.

Izick

If we buy the tablet from Gamestop, do we still get the Bonus Google Play credit, books, movies, and magazine subscriptions they were talking about during the conference?

rozay

Banned
I'm confused by all the articles/videos saying how they feel like if they handed this off to a "casual" user they'd get around just fine, but nothing has fundamentally changed since honeycomb tablets.

-_-
the power of marketing is amazing, isn't it?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dumb question but can you manually drag and drop videos, comics, etc. on this thing?

It was pretty good on WebOS.
It was ok. Only was decent after OCing my touchpad. Flash is just not great mobile or even desktop for that matter lol

Phoenix

-_-
I don't know about that. The operating system has gotten a lot cleaner and easier to use, and this is coming from someone that is primarily an iOS user. Wow I can't say that ICS has gotten to the point where I am ready to replace all of my iOS devices I can definitely say that it is definitely to the point where I can see it being a strong competitor for Apple and the entire iOS productline with the next revision.

I think Google finally realized that they needed actual interface designers to make their platform usable instead of just relying on stock components and developer strewn together applications.

Emily Chu

Banned
Oh, I see. Is Flash really shitty on Android?

Mobile Computing and Flash are not friends.

concerning flash on mobile devices, it's simply a matter of money

google doesn't want flash on there platforms because it wants all the revenue it can get from there play store

same underlying reason is why iOS doesn't have Flash

money

no one is going to be buying content when they can get all this free flash based content on the web.

sure is flash perfect ? FUCK NO, it runs like shit on nearly every device there is but like or lump it to gain access to the entire/most of the web flash is needed.

One my biggest reasons for not picking up an ipad or any idevice

don't tell me flash is not needed when alot of sites still use it, maybe 3-4 years from now

but most definitely not NOW and not TODAYs internet.

wish I can seriously just say fuck all this non-sense and just give me a Windows 8 Pro 7" Tablet with a i5 and decent GPU, with a back panel touch for scrolling, at least I know flash will be continue to be supported on desktop OSes.

Phoenix

I keep saying it over and over again, the Nexus devices were really intended to be used by developers. They were never really intended to be consumer devices and a lot of the design decisions they make about the things that they are removing from the platform have everything to do with this fact.

Yes they are great devices, but they will never be as complete as their branded brethren from regular manufacturers.

kehs

Banned
I don't know about that. The operating system has gotten a lot cleaner and easier to use, and this is coming from someone that is primarily an iOS user. Wow I can't say that ICS has gotten to the point where I am ready to replace all of my iOS devices I can definitely say that it is definitely to the point where I can see it being a strong competitor for Apple and the entire iOS productline with the next revision.

I think Google finally realized that they needed actual interface designers to make their platform usable instead of just relying on stock components and developer strewn together applications.

Sure, but that happened during the HC/ICS transition. The tweaks in JB are nice, but alot of them have been in GB and ICS devices from manufacturers for ages.

I haven't tried it yet, but I can't imagine "butter" makes that much of a difference, because we heard the exact same thing from ICS about how smooth it is compared to HC/ICS.

Maybe I'm just too entrenched in android stuff to notice the drastic change.

don't tell me flash is not needed when alot of sites still use it, maybe 3-4 years from now

wish I can seriously just say fuck all this non-sense and just give me a Windows 8 Pro 7" Tablet with a i5 and decent GPU, with a back panel touch for scrolling, at least I know flash will be continue to be supported on desktop OSes.
I'm blown away when I read stuff like this. What sites do you visit regularly, out of curiosity? I think I'm the kind of person that visits a variety of websites, and I don't think I've ever missed any flash content on my ipad or iphone or anything. Most sites convert that shit.

I keep saying it over and over again, the Nexus devices were really intended to be used by developers. They were never really intended to be consumer devices and a lot of the design decisions they make about the things that they are removing from the platform have everything to do with this fact.

Yes they are great devices, but they will never be as complete as their branded brethren from regular manufacturers.
I'm perfectly comfortable with the 8gb as a consumer because I only plan to use it as a web browser/reader 80% of the time. Any time I watch a video it will be streaming or I'll watch and delete. It's all goooodz for people like that.

MThanded

google doesn't want flash on there platforms because it wants all the revenue it can get from there play store

It's also terribly inneficient when it comes to power consumption. As far as I know adobe never got hardware decoding working. Maybe I am wrong.

money

no one is going to be buying content when they can get all this free flash based content on the web.

sure is flash perfect ? FUCK NO, it runs like shit on nearly every device there is but like or lump it to gain access to the entire/most of the web flash is needed.

What sites? Almost all decent sites are transitioning to HTML5

I assume flash is really going to kill the battery on that thing.

Phoenix

money

no is going to be buying content when they can get all this free flash based content on the web.

It's not simply a matter of money. Adobe was building this platform on their own dime for most of the recent history. The problem with flash is that it is non performant garbage. That is the reason why Apple didn't want it, that is the reason why Google doesn't want it, and that is the reason why nobody except for R I M has ever been able to consider making it a part of their platform and we see how well it worked out for the BlackBerry platform.

MThanded

The lack of flash inclusion on mobile devices has little or nothing to do with money and a lot to do with Adobe claiming to get SoC solutions to provide to hardware manufacturers and never doing it.

Phoenix

Sure, but that happened during the HC/ICS transition. The tweaks in JB are nice, but alot of them have been in GB and ICS devices from manufacturers for ages.

I haven't tried it yet, but I can't imagine "butter" makes that much of a difference, because we heard the exact same thing from ICS about how smooth it is compared to HC/ICS.

Maybe I'm just too entrenched in android stuff to notice the drastic change.

I certainly wouldn't say that jellybean itself is where all of the improvements are. ICS is the biggest improvement to the operating system in quite some time and it is a substantial improvement over 2.3 and 3.x.That is why I have been saying that with ICS Apple really needs to be on their toes because Google is in the optimal position to be able to compete with the iOS platform. Whereas Apple gets one chance to really impress the market in a years time, there are so many Google android OEMs in the marketplace that they have more swings at-bat and more opportunities to capture consumer attention.

Raistlin

I'm blown away when I read stuff like this. What sites do you visit regularly, out of curiosity? I think I'm the kind of person that visits a variety of websites, and I don't think I've ever missed any flash content on my ipad or iphone or anything. Most sites convert that shit.
Sadly even many of the tech sites don't bother.

I assume flash is really going to kill the battery on that thing.
Is that the case with current GPU-accelerated versions?

kehs

Banned
I certainly wouldn't say that jellybean itself is where all of the improvements are. ICS is the biggest improvement to the operating system in quite some time and it is a substantial improvement over 2.3 and 3.x.That is why I have been saying that with ICS Apple really needs to be on their toes because Google is in the optimal position to be able to compete with the iOS platform. Whereas Apple gets one chance to really impress the market in a years time, there are so many Google android OEMs in the marketplace that they have more swings at-bat and more opportunities to capture consumer attention.

Definitely agree with most of that, but I was expecting all the things being said now about JB to have been said during ICS. I don't believe that the performance on the Xoom/TF series is different enough to not warrant the same reviews saying wholly different things about the same UI.

Although, now that I think about it, most of the reviews are people just flinging the homescreens back and forth. =/

Raistlin

not gonna lie...on the tech front I basically only visit the verge. It has rendered everything else useless for me. Sometimes I hit up engadget. All good on that front. Which don't convert?

On WP7, Engadget's video doesn't show up and the Verge is trying to push the Flash version (lists the usual you need Adobe Flash to watch it)

SimleuqiR

Definitely agree with most of that, but I was expecting all the things being said now about JB to have been said during ICS. I don't believe that the performance on the Xoom/TF series is different enough to not warrant the same reviews saying wholly different things about the same UI.

Although, now that I think about it, most of the reviews are people just flinging the homescreens back and forth. =/

It's the butter.

Phoenix

The only *sigh* passably good devices in the market where I think Google will compete strongly were the Samsung Tab 2 (the small one) and the Kindle Fire. These devices sold a fair amount of units, but the Fire wasn't an ICS device and the Tab 2 might as well have not shipped for the market attention it received. Thus there was no real device in the tablet space for people to rally around except for the Transformers which still spend a lot of their time freezing and mysteriously rebooting.

What has happened with the Nexus 7 with JB is not that there is a revolutionary way to Android, its that this is the "fixed function" device that people really wanted from the Fire. It is open to everything, its interface doesn't suck, and for the most part its future proof (for the Kindle Fire audience). Google will be able to sell all that they make, but sadly it will be for all the wrong reasons and it will have the result of causing the market to "fill up on bread". Sending the Nexus7 to retail is a strategy fraught with peril. People REALLY need to wait for a more consumer grade device with an SD slot, IR out, HDMI out, etc.

Levi

Banned
If we buy the tablet from Gamestop, do we still get the Bonus Google Play credit, books, movies, and magazine subscriptions they were talking about during the conference?

The Nexus 7 from GameStop comes with $25 Google Play credit and Transformers:Dark of the Moon preloaded. No mention of books or magazines on the in-store signage.

Izick

The Nexus 7 from GameStop comes with $25 Google Play credit and Transformers:Dark of the Moon preloaded. No mention of books or magazines on the in-store signage.

I guess I could just buy that new Bourne book on the store if that's the case.

th3dude

I have an 8gb in my cart right now but the thought of 8 more gb is holding me back. One of the big draws for me is that it is $200, but <6gb is meh. I'm almost always around wifi, so I don't think the content will be a problem. Just that slight bit of hesitation.

kehs

Banned
The only *sigh* passably good devices in the market where I think Google will compete strongly were the Samsung Tab 2 (the small one) and the Kindle Fire. These devices sold a fair amount of units, but the Fire wasn't an ICS device and the Tab 2 might as well have not shipped for the market attention it received. Thus there was no real device in the tablet space for people to rally around except for the Transformers which still spend a lot of their time freezing and mysteriously rebooting.

What has happened with the Nexus 7 with JB is not that there is a revolutionary way to Android, its that this is the "fixed function" device that people really wanted from the Fire. It is open to everything, its interface doesn't suck, and for the most part its future proof (for the Kindle Fire audience). Google will be able to sell all that they make, but sadly it will be for all the wrong reasons and it will have the result of causing the market to "fill up on bread". Sending the Nexus7 to retail is a strategy fraught with peril. People REALLY need to wait for a more consumer grade device with an SD slot, IR out, HDMI out, etc.

That's my hesitance on this device, it's the antithesis of what Android was supposed to be. If it's just another one-function nexus device then we're truly headed for an appliance tech future.

My only consolation is that the price is justifying the lack of functionality.

(My transformer keeps dying from non usage =/)

On WP7, Engadget's video doesn't show up and the Verge is trying to push the Flash version (lists the usual you need Adobe Flash to watch it)
that's weird, both work fine on my ipad/phone. Apparently some people have the same people on flashless chrome. Not sure why it converts for iOS devices and not for others. Something about user agents or something :p

kehs

Banned
that's weird, both work fine on my ipad/phone. Apparently some people have the same people on flashless chrome. Not sure why it converts for iOS devices and not for others. Something about user agents or something :p

Web developers that target a specific device/os instead of making it accessible to everyone.

>=(

Raistlin

Yeah I'd imagine they are explicitly handling the iOS user agent in their CSS style sheets, etc.

That's the point though. They are tech sites that do massive amounts mobile coverage, and they aren't handling some well known browsers. There's a lot of irony there. It's not like IE9 nor mobile Chrome have any issues handling the HTML 5 vid tags.

Then again, given the quality of these sites' 'journalism' at times ... I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Really I shouldn't be singling them out, but the tech media in general fucks up details so often, sometimes I feel like throwing my phone when listening to podcasts or reading stories. It only gets worse when it comes to actual editorials. :\

Cartman86

Banned
I never actually use Blip.tv, rather sites like the Spoony Experiment that use it. How's Justin/Twitch.tv?

Spoony Experiment videos don't load at all. Twitch works perfect except when you go to fullscreen. There is an official twitch app for Live broadcasts for Android though so that's not a problem for live videos. But yeah fullscreen in general seems to be fucked in Jelly Bean. It worked fine in ICS. Can't wait for HTML5 streaming to take off.

3phemeral

Web developers that target a specific device/os instead of making it accessible to everyone.

>=(

99 percent of my time with the tf101 has been netflix. The other is reference photos for art.

But now I'm getting SODs every so often, and apps crash or don't work. To make it worse, Netflix won't even load anymore even after reboot or uninstall/reinstall, so now it'll be an expensive slideshow screen until I get AOKP M6 on it.
LLShC.gif

[edit]

Apparently Netflix is down, along with Instagram and Amazon's Cloud Shortage. Should have checked for that before everything else...

Titanium backup to the rescue!

Top Bottom