• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

I guess I'm curious as to how much people are spending within their market place, be it Amazon, Google, or B&N? Like per month how much do you buy and store on the cloud? Or can you literally not spend any money in these markets and get everything you want out of the device? I don't have a tablet, yet, so I'm curious if the buck stops at the $200 entry point.

I've spent perhaps £10 on my Android phone in the last year and a lot of that was on 10p games during the sale. I did buy a nice music player and podcatcher but... that's about it. I'm not sure what you'd really need to buy.

I guess I'm curious as to how much people are spending within their market place, be it Amazon, Google, or B&N? Like per month how much do you buy and store on the cloud? Or can you literally not spend any money in these markets and get everything you want out of the device? I don't have a tablet, yet, so I'm curious if the buck stops at the $200 entry point.

It is tough to know. It really depends on your needs. I have an iPad and purchase apps and games on a regular basis, although a lot of them are free. I also buy books, television shows, rent movies and so on. Not often, but regularly.

You have to ask yourself how often you plan to do those things. If you're just buying it to surf the web, do email and so on, then you probably won't spend much cash. But if it's going to be a media consumption device for magazines, movies, books, music etc., you can end up spending a good amount of dough. We can't tell you what your habits are going to be however.

Oh sure, I'd run CM were it not for warranty and laziness due to that fact - I know everything they do is subject to public scrutiny. I just don't trust the device-specific ICS ROMs available to me, coming from xda member #13724. Even if not produced with malicious intent, I'm sure their QA processes are great.

Some of those XDA members have a tag next to their name that denotes they are a verified developer just FYI.

I don't really keep track. I've been using Android since the g1 which was 2007 iirc.

dwebo

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6061/mhl-and-usbotg-on-the-nexus-7-mounting-usb-storage-not-supported

Since posting the Nexus 7 mini review, I've gotten a lot of emails asking about whether USB-OTG for storage was currently supported or would be supported in the shipping software load. I've done some asking around and believe I have the final word now.

USB-OTG is indeed supported on the Nexus 7, however as anyone has used USB-OTG knows, whether peripherals or devices work is a function of the host OS and drivers. On the Nexus 7, using a mouse and keyboard is supported, and I saw Google using an Ethernet to microUSB adapter with the Nexus 7 (which I borrowed for my Galaxy Nexus) as well. Unfortunately mounting USB storage natively is not supported on the Nexus 7. Hopefully rooted users will be able to use StickMount with the Nexus 7 and make this work. In addition, MHL is not supported on the Nexus 7, which isn't very surprising since adding MHL requires another package and would increase BOM cost.

galdevo

Thanks for the input. I guess I'd be more of a casual user, mainly staying connected online (gmail,skype,fb) and books.

kehs

Banned
You can't add USB mass storage in a dock if the host doesn't support it.

They can with an OTA though.

How come none of these video review dive into the applications people are going to be using so we can see the layouts?

I haven't seen any video with anything but the Store/Chrome/Launcher.

They can with an OTA though.

How come none of these video review dive into the applications people are going to be using so we can see the layouts?

I haven't seen any video with anything but the Store/Chrome/Launcher.

Can is the keyword but they won't otherwise they would have shipped it with support. It's not that big a deal since all Nexus devices are easily rooted and you can change kernels, roms etc if you really want. That is the beauty of the nexus line. I mean Google even said they encourage hackability at io

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but would there be a way to transfer my music from my MacBook to the Nexus? That would make this thing perfect.

giga

Gamestop return policy:

Opened new merchandise (including tablets) = identical exchange within 30 days of purchase (no refunds)

Can we get these at some real retailers like best buy, googs?

kehs

Banned
Can is the keyword but they won't otherwise they would have shipped it with support. It's not that big a deal since all Nexus devices are easily rooted and you can change kernels, roms etc if you really want. That is the beauty of the nexus line. I mean Google even said they encourage hackability at io

True. =(

Raistlin

My post was in jest. I don't think they want you to use any external storage AT ALL.
Yeah that seems clear. And when combined with little internal storage and the feature-set of Nexus Q ... it's obvious what they're trying to do.

Me thinks that the rumored 10" tablet will be like the Surface and come with 5.0.
Not sure what you mean? Be like Surface how?

Does Gamestop take the Transformer dock as a trade-in? The dock new is half the price of a Nexus 7. I might have to sell or trade it in.
Huh?

kehs

Banned
Awesome. I think I'm gonna order one of these then.

Edit : Can I choose what songs transfer over, or does it sync the whole library? There's only 8 gigs...

Music streams everything unless you explicitly pin them for offline use.

SimleuqiR

Yeah that seems clear. And when combined with little internal storage and the feature-set of Nexus Q ... it's obvious what they're trying to do.

Not sure what you mean? Be like Surface how?

Seeing the Q, and how much attention to detail they put into that device. That's what I mean. That they will come out with their own Nexus Tablet (10"), design a dock for it, and try to make you replace your home PC with it.

The Full Blown Android desktop experience, with multiple windows running at the same time, etc. Obviously, Chrome OS does some of this - but they need to inject some of these ideas on to the more popular platform.

ShowDog

Im definitely interested in this as my first tablet, butI keep hearing about a lack of apps which is a bit worrisome. Does Android have a decent alternative to iMovie on ios for something like light video editing? I'm definitely interested in more than consuming magazines and video on this thing, and I'm wondering how far behind it will be from the iPad right out of the gate for that kind of stuff.

Raistlin

Seeing the Q, and how much attention to detail they put into that device. That's what I mean. That they will come out with their own Nexus Tablet (10"), design a dock for it, and try to make you replace your home PC with it.

The Full Blown Android desktop experience, with multiple windows running at the same time, etc. Obviously, Chrome OS does some of this - but they need to inject some of these ideas on to the more popular platform.
The difference I see though is that Google is making a bigger push towards their own services services based on what features and I/O they are and aren't including with these products. Granted we'll be able to get around these sort of things, but that's not really the case for J6P. Obviously they have every right to do this, but it's just not the 'Google way' based on the past.

Then again, we really should have known this was coming. Google isn't a charity, and really shouldn't have been expected to give a free ride forever. Obviously at some point they were going to move in a direction that better monetizes that platform. If you aren't going to charge for the OS, you're going to attempt to ramp up revenue in some other way.

I bought the keyboard dock for my Transformer for $100. I could sell it for near that and have half the funds to buy a Nexus 7.
Lol sorry ... somehow I read that backwards and thought you meant the keyboard was $400 :p

Im definitely interested in this as my first tablet, butI keep hearing about a lack of apps which is a bit worrisome. Does Android have a decent alternative to iMovie on ios for something like light video editing? I'm definitely interested in more than consuming magazines and video on this thing, and I'm wondering how far behind it will be from the iPad right out of the gate for that kind of stuff.

There is a storefront you can look at online to see if it has the apps you require:
https://play.google.com/store

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Music streams everything unless you explicitly pin them for offline use.
Wait, I don't want it to stream it, I want it on the device itself. I want to listen to it on the bus and other places without wifi. Is that not possible?

rozay

Banned
I don't think this is the kind of tablet you want to use for that, considering the small screen and low storage space.

DagsJT

Offered my iPad 2 32GB up for sale and expecting to get the N7 16GB.

The only things I use my iPad for are browsing, social media, checking email and very occasionally watching a video. Makes more sense to have a smaller, lighter product that does what I want.

mil6es

just ordered my 16gig, gonna love this on my commute to work and thank fuck im no longer waiting for the kindle fire to come out in the UK

kaskade

That verge review is great. If I didn't have an iPad I would be all over it. Kind of a bummer the galaxy nexus isn't cheaper. I would probably go for it if it was 299.

buhdeh

That verge review is great. If I didn't have an iPad I would be all over it. Kind of a bummer the galaxy nexus isn't cheaper. I would probably go for it if it was 299.

It's $349 right now on the Google store I think... Don't know if that's close enough for you though.

Hieberrr

I put my Playbook up for sale earlier today (so I can get money for the N7) and it's a complete fucking headache. People calling to ask me to lower the price with reasons like "Usually when people put thinsg up on Kijiji and someone wants to buy it earlier, you give discounts, like... $140."

GTFO.

I've had potential buyers texting me to tell me that OBO is being "unethical", "but it comes with a case, so I'll buy it." Are you fucking kidding me?!

Some people man...

EDIT: Sorry for venting.

SteveWD40

just ordered my 16gig, gonna love this on my commute to work and thank fuck im no longer waiting for the kindle fire to come out in the UK

Same. Amazon screwed the pooch in the UK / EU with the massive Fire delay, if they have any sense we will get the fire2 when the US does but right now the N7 can clean up in this massive market hungry for solid, cheap tablets.

Argyle

I thought about it for a few days but the Verge video review kinda sold me on it. I ended up getting the 8GB model because for me, personally, I find that I rarely store anything locally on my tablets.

Sanjuro

Has anyone come across any videos of someone showing the durability of the Nexus 7's screen?

All I've heard is that it does use Gorilla Glass, but looking for more information if possible.

Cartman86

Banned
Wait, no Flash? How the fuck am I supposed to watch Blip videos then?

Pretty sure Flash works. It does on my Jelly Bean Galaxy Nexus. Adobe is just not going to support it anymore. And they will remove it from the store in August. Which doesn't really matter either because you can just side load it.

Izick

Pretty sure Flash works. It does on my Jelly Bean Galaxy Nexus. Adobe is just not going to support it anymore. And they will remove it from the store in August. Which doesn't really matter either because you can just side load it.

Oh, I see. Is Flash really shitty on Android?

Top Bottom