• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

RS4-

Applied a matte screen protector last week, feels nice.

I'm going to look around and see if they have a landscape dock across the street. Hopefully they have some bootleg available.

Angelcurio

After the latest Chrome update, the browser performance has become extremely bad, even when i type it looks like the letters are going in slow motion. Does someone else have this problem, or is my Nexus 7 the one acting up?

adroit

After the latest Chrome update, the browser performance has become extremely bad, even when i type it looks like the letters are going in slow motion. Does someone else have this problem, or is my Nexus 7 the one acting up?
Chrome performance seems fine on mine. Here's a wild, uneducated guess which is probably wrong: it's possible there is javascript on a page which is malfunctioning and chewing up CPU in a tight loop. It's possible that script used to work with the previous version of Chrome and doesn't work with the new one. Wild guess. Don't quote me.

I'm 99.9% sure this is the reason why many web sites now absolutely paralyze the obsolete Opera browser on the Wii (not the Wii U). It doesn't lock up; it just slows to a crawl.

I don't understand that if this is pure Google device why some of these apps are not working on my devices. Pinball doesn't work with Nexus 7 and yesterday I was going to download an app and it said your device is not compatible.

Is it because of Nexus 7 or because of differences version of Android? It's getting kind of annoying because I thought by picking Nexus and being Google devices, all the app would work on it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Software compatibility is not the same as hardware compatibility. There are so many variety of android hardware out there that some might not be optimised for that software.

Also some apps don't have a tablet version I guess?

Is anyone else's nexus 7 dropping wifi connections constantly? Might just be with my router though. Doesn't seem to happen with my Uni's wifi.

Dakota47

Same here and it's not just the browser that's stuttering, other apps too.

coopolon

Anyone else have problems with Dolphin? It regularly crashes on me. Most often it's when I turn the device back on after I turned it off with Dolphin open, it asks me to send an error report. It was happening with the regular client so I downloaded the beta and it's still happening with that as well. I would go to another browser but I really like the lastpass integration.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't understand that if this is pure Google device why some of these apps are not working on my devices. Pinball doesn't work with Nexus 7 and yesterday I was going to download an app and it said your device is not compatible.

Is it because of Nexus 7 or because of differences version of Android? It's getting kind of annoying because I thought by picking Nexus and being Google devices, all the app would work on it.

Devs can manually filter out certain devices, it has nothing to do with Android or Google and more to do with the app being so shoddily coded the developer probably thinks it can't run on tablets well.

Cipherr

An app developer can set the app to list as incompatible with your device if they have not, or won't optimize it to work correctly with your device. Its more common on tablets as Android slowly ramps up the number of tablet compatible apps it has.

Its become a non-issue on phones mostly though.

Chojin

Man I should have read this thread before purchasing, I normally don't get extended warranty but now I'm seeing the error of my ways. I had no idea how fragile the thing is. I've had mine for about two months now and I just looked at it and there's a spiderweb of cracks all over my Nexus 7.

I have no clue how it happened. I was using it earlier today and had it out and about and the screen was just fine. I picked it up not 30 minutes ago and opened it up to browse the web while my wife watches TV and there's cracks all over. The digitizer won't recognize my fingertips for the most part and now I'm completely fucked.

I looked online to see if there was a replacement digitizer + screen available and with shipping its pretty much going to cost the same amount as my 32 gig to get replaced!

So what do you guys think I should do? Sell the broken one and try to recoup a little bit of the costs?

I'm really kinda pissed off, I loved and used this thing daily and had a decent case for it. I don't recall bumping it or abusing it in anyway. :\

zeioIIDX

Man I should have read this thread before purchasing, I normally don't get extended warranty but now I'm seeing the error of my ways. I had no idea how fragile the thing is. I've had mine for about two months now and I just looked at it and there's a spiderweb of cracks all over my Nexus 7.

I have no clue how it happened. I was using it earlier today and had it out and about and the screen was just fine. I picked it up not 30 minutes ago and opened it up to browse the web while my wife watches TV and there's cracks all over. The digitizer won't recognize my fingertips for the most part and now I'm completely fucked.

I looked online to see if there was a replacement digitizer + screen available and with shipping its pretty much going to cost the same amount as my 32 gig to get replaced!

So what do you guys think I should do? Sell the broken one and try to recoup a little bit of the costs?

I'm really kinda pissed off, I loved and used this thing daily and had a decent case for it. I don't recall bumping it or abusing it in anyway. :\

Extreme temperature changes maybe? Like some people leave electronics in the car overnight and it "freezes" then when it warms up later, damage can be done.

sant

I dropped my Nexus 7 and cracked the screen. The upper left corner of the front is powder and the trim around the corner is all munched up. What are my options? There are cracks throughout the top left quarter of the screen, and those areas are unresponsive to touch.

Welp, I came home from classes today after having used my Nexus 7 in class. When I returned home, my tablet would not seemingly power on. Plugging the device into my laptop revealed that the device is in APX mode - from what I have read, unfixable without a bit of hackery. I think I'm screwed guys. Guess I need to RMA this damn thing?

Salaadin

Welp, I came home from classes today after having used my Nexus 7 in class. When I returned home, my tablet would not seemingly power on. Plugging the device into my laptop revealed that the device is in APX mode - from what I have read, unfixable without a bit of hackery. I think I'm screwed guys. Guess I need to RMA this damn thing?

If theres really nothing you can do, call google. I had to RMA with them a month or so ago and they had me a new tablet in a week.

If theres really nothing you can do, call google. I had to RMA with them a month or so ago and they had me a new tablet in a week.
Yea, seems like I'm going to be calling Asus first tomorrow. Google wouldn't help me I don't think as I bought the tablet from Staples, not Google Play.
I hate to rain on the complaint parade, but what keyboard case does everyone recommend?
I would imagine a keyboard case is far too cramped on the Nexus 7 (if they even exist) but I use the following case to and from college, in red though:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FLYROG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

GhaleonEB

My daughter is saving for a Nexus 7, having enjoyed using her cousin's unit over Christmas. Is there a new version/update planned soon? If there's new hardware rev coming soon I'd advise her to hold off.

My daughter is saving for a Nexus 7, having enjoyed using her cousin's unit over Christmas. Is there a new version/update planned soon? If there's new hardware rev coming soon I'd advise her to hold off.

Yea, there will be a new one this summer. I think I'm gonna get it. I'm very happy with my nexus 7. Except for the HUGE bezel and the low volume level when watching netflix. Outside of those two thing I don't have many complaints. It's a great little device.

I bought the nexus 7 last week and I've been having nothing buy issues with the internet speed and lag and I don't understand why. Chrome is horrible on this and after like an hour or so the WiFi slows to a crawl and I have to reset to get pages to load smoothly and quickly. Should I replace it or is this how the nexus 7 has been? I don't really want an iPad mini because my gf has one and I like androids OS more but these issue are killing me.

Phoenix

I bought the nexus 7 last week and I've been having nothing buy issues with the internet speed and lag and I don't understand why. Chrome is horrible on this and after like an hour or so the WiFi slows to a crawl and I have to reset to get pages to load smoothly and quickly. Should I replace it or is this how the nexus 7 has been? I don't really want an iPad mini because my gf has one and I like androids OS more but these issue are killing me.

Something is wrong with your N7 for certain. Either someone has been hacking at it and returned the one you have to the store, there is something wrong with your Internet connection/hardware, etc. Would recommend you just get another one.

sounds defective.

Maxim726X

Something is wrong with your N7 for certain. Either someone has been hacking at it and returned the one you have to the store, there is something wrong with your Internet connection/hardware, etc. Would recommend you just get another one.

Completely off topic, but where did you get that avatar? Looks awesome.

GhaleonEB

Thanks guys. She's just over halfway through saving for it, so she needs a couple more months at least. So July would be perfect timing.

Dicer

Banned
My 16gb just shat the bed out of nowhere, I was sitting here...it made an odd buzz and now the screen is all glitched :/

Suck.

Edit: Nvm, was just low battery and smooth rom had a shit fit cause of it...all is well.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
How much is it usually, £189? Don't think it's enough to stop me from waiting for the next iteration but it's a not a bad offer.

Arla

I'm in the market for a 32GB N7. With the new models being announced soon is anyone willing to part with their now for a reasonable price?

n0n44m

my Nexus 7 seems to have died last night :( it was from the very first batch here in the Netherlands

it was working great and smooth without crashes for almost two months since 4.2.2 , but at the end of some Youtube vid last night it crashed and the screen hasn't turned on since I switched it off.

Screen remains turned off when I plug in a power cable (left it charging overnight to be sure) , it doesn't turn on when using either the power button or the volume+pwr buttons for the recovery menu, Windows says it's an unrecognized device when I plug it in ... only noticed that when doing the volume+pwr combination while plugged into my PC, Windows will try to install some APX driver it can't find? screen still won't do anything though

guess I'll take it back to the store this afternoon and hope for a 32GB :\

my Nexus 7 seems to have died last night :( it was from the very first batch here in the Netherlands

it was working great and smooth without crashes for almost two months since 4.2.2 , but at the end of some Youtube vid last night it crashed and the screen hasn't turned on since I switched it off.

Screen remains turned off when I plug in a power cable (left it charging overnight to be sure) , it doesn't turn on when using either the power button or the volume+pwr buttons for the recovery menu, Windows says it's an unrecognized device when I plug it in ... only noticed that when doing the volume+pwr combination while plugged into my PC, Windows will try to install some APX driver it can't find? screen still won't do anything though

guess I'll take it back to the store this afternoon and hope for a 32GB :

I had this problem for a bit.. hold down just power for a long while while plugged into wall.. worked for me

Since 4.2 and the amount of lag it introduced on my tablet this POS isn't fun to use any more...:/

Don't get the 8gb. You have 5gb of usable space + risk of tablet becoming really slow if available space gets low. Lose lose situation.

Top Bottom