• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Vyer

Thinking about selling mine too. If there's a new one in May, I will revisit it. If I don't buy a mini before then.

Did that end up fixing it for you?

I've been noticing my battery draining faster than normal. I downloaded CPUSpy and it looks like my CPU is never going into the "deep sleep" state, something is keeping it permanently awake it seems.

I have only had one charge cycle so far....but it actually worked. I know some are saying its actually a hardware issue, but that may not be the case for all of them. It looks like my problems could be traced back to the last update.

4.2 kinda sucked.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone else have a problem with downloads, even small files like jpegs, failing like half the time?

BFIB

Who here as Retroarch?

Its a fantastic free emulator that lumps all emulators together.

Only issue is, I'm having problems getting PrBoom (Doom) to run. Anyone else on their N7 have this that could PM me the instructions? Google really isn't finding anything.

Who here as Retroarch?

Only issue is, I'm having problems getting PrBoom (Doom) to run. Anyone else on their N7 have this that could PM me the instructions? Google really isn't finding anything.

I like it, but I don't think it's better than the individual emulators you can find on the Play store yet. I've ran into a few problems on certain games (mostly GBA) where the emulation is much worse compared to my other GBA emulator, GBA.emu. The PSX emulator isn't nearly as good as FPSE either.

On top of the emulation issues, I really hate how the overlays work at the moment. At a minimum they need to automatically load the appropriate overlay for the emulator you are running, and I think they should go a bit further and allow more overlay customization from the menus as opposed to building your own overlay from a text file. Most of the emulators I use have options to change a lot of things on on the overlays, so having Retroarch just give me static pictures as overlays is kind of annoying.

With that said, I'm really excited to see how frequently this gets updated. I would love for this to be the "go to" application for all emulation on Android. It's already good, but it has a lot of room to improve before it is better than the individual emulators already released.

womp

Who here as Retroarch?

The Sega CD emulation handles Night Trap, whereas the almighty MD.emu cannot as of yet. Otherwise? I'm good with Broglia's .emu apps. :)

JEKKI

whooo!! jus picked one up from Staples!

decided to go for the 16 giga since I'm only using it for comics,

also bought it locally coz I was too cheap to pay $14 shipping lol.

anyways I jus wanna say the customer service at Staples is great!!

everybody there works with the work ethic that they're being paid minimum wage!

anywayz I wanna pack this into my backpack and go out tonite but I'm scared to...

I needa find a nice case now... or maybe I'll jus wrap it in a tshirt.

hoverX

OK, so I tried to connect to the internet over bluetooth from my friends galaxy nexus and my other friends blackberry and I couldn't connect with those either...

I guess connecting over wifi is better anyways...

Cmagus

So I was looking at picking one of these up tomorrow. I am working in an app and was wondering how is the nexus 7 for developing like is it a good tablet overall for that kind of stuff? Kind of new territory for me so I am not sure.

adroit

So I was looking at picking one of these up tomorrow. I am working in an app and was wondering how is the nexus 7 for developing like is it a good tablet overall for that kind of stuff? Kind of new territory for me so I am not sure.
The developer of Survivalcraft says his game runs best on the Nexus 7. He has a pile of Android devices he's had to buy in order to test his app.

http://kaalus.wordpress.com/2013/02/01/1-20-issue/#comment-10505

Kaalus is the developer.

Is there a way to lock the home screen in portrait but let apps auto rotate?

The only one that seems to do it is YouTube, anything else and I have to constantly turn auto rotate on and off.

JEKKI

I'm posting from my nexus!!

How do I get Reid of blank screens on my 'desktop'??

I moved a bunch of stuff around but now I got 5 pages with 3 of them empty...

JEKKI

Bam! This is what I mean:

c77XCRs.jpeg

How to get rid??

Cipherr

ATM Jekki Vanilla Android doesnt allow you to change the number of homescreens as far as I know. If you got the app Nova Launcher however, it would allow you to change the homescreen number if you wanted.

Nova might be a little much in terms of how many settings it has for a new user though, not sure if you would like it.

JEKKI

Aw boo that sucks, I seriously have only 6 apps:

twitter, fb, yelp, comixology, Netflix, and pinball.

I guess I can put one app per page?

I tried to fill the empty space with the YouTube widget... the darn thing sucks lol

ATM Jekki Vanilla Android doesnt allow you to change the number of homescreens as far as I know. If you got the app Nova Launcher however, it would allow you to change the homescreen number if you wanted.

Nova might be a little much in terms of how many settings it has for a new user though, not sure if you would like it.

don't really have to use all of those settings though. just gotta make it look stock and have just 1 home screen...

adroit

I have a giant digital clock widget with six time zones on my home screen (local, New York, London, Paris, Mumbai, and Melbourne) and the other four screens (two left and two right) are blank. I never see them because I never swipe left or right. If I accidentally swipe, I just tap the home button and I'm instantly transported back to the safety of my home screen.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I'm posting from my nexus!!

How do I get Reid of blank screens on my 'desktop'??

I moved a bunch of stuff around but now I got 5 pages with 3 of them empty...

I think most custom homescreen launchers allow you to delete the empty screens. That was never the case with stock android, though. I'm using ADW at the moment, but I think Apex and a few others do as well.

I'm a 1-screen kind of person.

CPS2

Aw boo that sucks, I seriously have only 6 apps:

twitter, fb, yelp, comixology, Netflix, and pinball.

I guess I can put one app per page?

I tried to fill the empty space with the YouTube widget... the darn thing sucks lol

I thought launchers might add too much overhead or get in the way somehow but there isn't anything like that, that I can notice. You may as well try out some launchers (I ended up sticking with Nova for the time being). Will probably end up customising the icons on the app tray at some point too, you can't do that with stock launchers.

L034

Official Dock is waiting for me at home, will post review in 8 hours or so when I get home. If anyone is on the fence and/or has any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Update Pics:
Seems sturdy, can type on it without being afraid of the nexus tipping over, Dock audio out works fine.

The Sega CD emulation handles Night Trap, whereas the almighty MD.emu cannot as of yet. Otherwise? I'm good with Broglia's .emu apps. :)

that's literally because RetroArch is free and MD.emu isn't.

the license for Genesis Plus GX was changed to not deny sale or commercial activity so poor Robert Broglia has to either code his own shit, get it from another open source emulator or make the emu free.

seb

Banned
Official Dock is waiting for me at home, will post review in 8 hours or so when I get home. If anyone is on the fence and/or has any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Update Pics:

Seems sturdy, can type on it without being afraid of the nexus tipping over, Dock audio out works fine.
Where did you find it ? I'm looking to buy one in france but it's sold out everywhere :(

Salaadin

Anyone have any experience with good shipping out replacements for a defective product? My N7s speaker went bad so they sent me a link to order a new one. I did this last Thursday and it still hasnt shipped yet.

belvedere

Junior Butler

Update Pics:

Was thinking about picking up a dock for work and possibly running daydream on it while I'm at my desk. Have you messed with daydream at all?

KiKaL

With having a dock and most likely having your tablet on it all the time, would that shorten the battery life at all due to overcharging? Or does that not really exist anymore?

adroit

With having a dock and most likely having your tablet on it all the time, would that shorten the battery life at all due to overcharging? Or does that not really exist anymore?
From what I've read, lithium ion batteries don't like to be kept 100% charged for months on end. As long as you drain it down to the 14% warning and recharge it at least once a month, I think you'll be OK.

hodgy100

gaf i dropped my keys on me nexus 7 :( it caught the edge and now the touch screen has smashed :(.

has anyone here had any experience with getting repairs done?

L034

Was thinking about picking up a dock for work and possibly running daydream on it while I'm at my desk. Have you messed with daydream at all?

Running daydream with beautiful widgets as a weather/clock is awesome.

Lack of apps coded for daydream is sad. Beautiful widgets is not as customizable for daydream as for ordinary widgets, but the default theme is good. I'll post pics later.

Edit:
Try daydream set to run when plugged in. Prop the N7 up, and see if you like it.

RS4-

I wonder if the mall across the street has bootleg landscape docks yet. I'll check it out over the weekend and see what there is.

Salaadin

So is that ASUS dock pretty much the best you can get?
Im thinking of ditching my alarm clock and just using my tablet from here on out. I dont even use my alarm clock as an alarm anymore so its sorta just a big glowing box that tells me the time. Id rather have my tablet next to my bed.

markot

Banned
My screen pops up now on the left side>_<

I tried opening and screwing the screws tighter but it only made it better for a few minutes........

What do!?

Top Bottom