• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

tirant

From what I've read, lithium ion batteries don't like to be kept 100% charged for months on end. As long as you drain it down to the 14% warning and recharge it at least once a month, I think you'll be OK.

The tablet actually goes down to 95% when it gets to 100%. And then up to 100%. So you don't need to worry about that ;)

16gb or 32gb? I will be using it purely as portable gaming device and browsing the internet. Will 16g be enough for apps (mostly games). I won't be using it for music or movies. All the issues with hardware have me sort of on the fence about buying one but at 199 I think it's a deal even with some of the problems. At 249 however, I might just goes mini-iPad.

Neo Child

Banned
16gb or 32gb? I will be using it purely as portable gaming device and browsing the internet. Will 16g be enough for apps (mostly games). I won't be using it for music or movies. All the issues with hardware have me sort of on the fence about buying one but at 199 I think it's a deal even with some of the problems. At 249 however, I might just goes mini-iPad.

google music is perfect for music as it loads it all from the cloud so doesnt take storage

16gb should be fine unless you go crazy with the different amount of games you play at a time. ive had both the nexus and ipad and i prefer the nexus, primarily for size, its nicer but also as its more open to do anything you want on it. though it doesnt have nearly the same amount as apps as the ipad if that bothers you.

adroit

So I have my nexus rooted. Is there something I need to do to update with the ota?
You probably don't have to do anything. They don't let everyone have it at the same time. If I check for an update on mine (not rooted), it says there is no update. It's annoying but that's the way their update system works.

EDIT: Ignore me. Read Threi's post below this one.

So everyone who wants to risk potentially losing notifications from apps the old 'clear google services framework data' trick still works for instant update (well not instant, a few retries will be necessary)

What I noticed from the new update is that the f'in wakelocks are gone (killing my battery unless i disable gps completely)

Just got my update and the weirdest thing is happening. Got a ton probably hundreds of notifications of images downloaded. But there is no images in my folder and when I try to view them from the notification it opens nothing?

Willectro

Banned
It seems like running the battery to 0% really fucks the Nexus 7. My battery went to 0 (not while in use) and now it keeps flashing/flickering when I try to turn it on while charging. This really pisses me off as I would really rather not have to deal with this fucking shit. I really enjoy this device but it seems like Asus really sacrificed quality to make this device for this price.

Edit: Ugh, retailer told me talk to Google/Asus, Google told me to talk to retailer...not their problem apparently (what the fuck?). Is it worth contacting Asus?

Blackhead

Redarse
So the Nexus 7 has been out for a while now and I'm a bit curious:
  • Do you often take the Nexus 7 (3G?) out with you?
  • How do you usually carry it?
  • What other devices do you typically have on you?
  • And, if this isn't your first tablet, does it provide a different portable experience?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Do you often take the Nexus 7 (3G?) out with you?

I actually use mine as a mobile car pc that I remove when I get to work or home, so I have it with me most of the time. Google Now is a life saver when trying to avoid traffic.

How do you usually carry it?

In its case either by itself or when working, in my work/laptop bag.

What other devices do you typically have on you?
iPhone

And, if this isn't your first tablet, does it provide a different portable experience?

My first tablet, but not my first Android. I never really understood the appeal of a tablet until I got my hands on one as someone who thought a laptop could meet my basic expectations. The Nexus 7 is the perfect size and just so much more accessible.

Also, I don't know about everyone else's experiences, but the 4.2.2 update seemed to completely resolve the lag and occasional unresponsiveness problems from 4.2. Overall it's much more stable and responsive.

Schlep

[*]Do you often take the Nexus 7 (3G?) out with you?
Usually stays at home unless I'm travelling.
How do you usually carry it?
I have a work messenger bag; goes in the front zipper. I work from home, so its mileage is limited.
What other devices do you typically have on you?
Galaxy Nexus, Surface RT with Type Cover, Kindle Paperwhite
And, if this isn't your first tablet, does it provide a different portable experience?
I got the first iPad on day 1 and loved it. As time went on, I started to get bothered by the lack of true multitasking and the difficulty of accomplishing some basic things due to there being no 'Share' option like in Android and Windows RT/Phone 8. Switched to the original Asus Transformer and that was a great device, but it got slower as time went on and I really started to dislike the 10" form factor.

Got the Nexus 7 and it's the perfect size for browsing forums, reading, watching videos, playing games, etc. I use it for everything in my personal life (as well as the Galaxy Nexus). Professionally, I use the Surface RT due to it having a native version of MS Office and the combination of Type Cover + Arc Mouse is hard to beat when travelling.

• Do you often take the Nexus 7 (3G?) out with you?
  • How do you usually carry it?
  • What other devices do you typically have on you?
  • And, if this isn't your first tablet, does it provide a different portable experience?

I just got it few days ago but I usually just keep it by my bed.
I put it in a sleeve when I take it to work. No case.
My Lumia 920.
I have the first iPad but my wife is using it in place of her laptop now to browse the web.

I got Nexus mainly for game since Windows Phone kinda suck ass when it come to newer game and frequency of updates to those games.

The built quality is definitely not Apple but it's good compare to the other Android tab. I like the small size but find it just a tad too small for the web but it certainly better than using the phone.

I found many apps not optimized for the tablet to be really jarring and horrible experience, hopefully in time they would get update.

I got 4.2.2 but I didn't have the 4.2.1 very long so not sure what it fix. I do still notice some stuttered and lag especially with orientation change (I ended up just keep it lock). It is smooth most of the time but sometimes the screen just take second to response really annoying coming from really smooth Windows Phone UI.

I love the sheer amount of games. It was between this and Vita for portable (on the bed) gaming and I find Nexus a better choice for what I want. Oh and reading magazine and comic on this thing is great. Probably the best use for tablet to me beside the games.

kehs

Banned
Can someone with an n7 4.2.1 JOP40D give me a copy of a library file?

Its in:
system/Lib/libSR_AudioIn.so ?

I'd be very greatful. Stupid beats audio thing I tried out won't let me update to 4.2.2.

Zaph

how is N7 for ereading? I'm thinking about getting a paperwhite and my eye caught the N7
The screen is damn sharp thanks to a pretty high pixel density, and lots of ereader apps allow you to adjust the background colour which helps reduce glare.

But ultimately it comes down to whether or not you're comfortable reading off of an LCD for extended periods. If all you want is an ereader, personally I'd go with the Paperwhite for multiple reasons.

Calantus

The screen is damn sharp thanks to a pretty high pixel density, and lots of ereader apps allow you to adjust the background colour which helps reduce glare.

But ultimately it comes down to whether or not you're comfortable reading off of an LCD for extended periods. If all you want is an ereader, personally I'd go with the Paperwhite for multiple reasons.

Yeah i'm starting to think the paperwhite will be my choice. I can see myself getting distracted by other apps on the N7 while reading, while the PW is just for reading and won't go wondering on the device. Thanks

Sen²

Is there any (offline) store that sells the GSM version of the N7 in the US? Couldn't find anything but the WiFi version.

Also, is there anyone who tethers his phone's internet via BT? If yes, how well does that work? Is it sufficiently fast? Is the battery drain notable?

Alex

I read off mine just fine, but I've never had an issue reading off LCD.

My only complaint with the N7 has been the battery life. It's about half of what you get on an iPad, and somehow, nothing I seem to do can help or worsen it. Doesn't matter how I use it, what brightness it's on, what combination of features is on or off, same results, funky.

deleted

I have a weird problem with my Nexus7 lately:
It says it is connected to my wifi, but it loads slower than an ISDN connection. I can't even get into the playstore, because it just won't load.
This happened without a reboot from one minute to the next while surfing. Browser crashed and after that I got these issues.
The only apps I installed in the last few days were firefox, Hola and Netflix, so I don't think they are responsible (Hola is not running). A reboot doesn't help, so my options are limited. What's next? Factory reset?

Edit: Wow, most stupid solution to my problem :p Didn't think it could be the router, because my PC (cable) had Internet at normal speed. Turns out, it was the router, because there where clothes flicked over it and ran hot...

Bluetooth hasn't been working on my Nexus 7 since yesterday. Long- pressing the notification toggle doesn't work and on the Bluetooth settings page I can't flick it on.

eso76

is chrome kind of unresponsive for anyone else after the update ?
since the update text input (for example, typing posts on neogaf) has become sloppier.

Dropped my nexus 7 down the stairs this morning and the screen smashed when it connected with the tiled floor. :(

Has anyone had any experiences with repairs in the UK?

Tried home insurance but they don't cover portable items.

kharma45

electromagnetic interference? Its similar to when my headphones wire touches the screen.

Na nothing near it that would've sent it haywire, wonder if the digitiser has just gone faulty as it'll randomly pull down the notification bar or bring up Google Now, and if I leave it sitting on that Multi Touch Test app it randomly registers inputs itself.

Edit: Looks like this has been released in some areas already. Anyway, it's now available in AU, CA, DE, JP, UK and US.

Official dock released.

skWKZHXWv3oqh4WAutizeDj9cXmG-qdQHq6aj44WzU-W_ZQZ09LZqns8_giBAP46wAha=w705

Nexus 7 Dock

Charge and dock your Nexus 7. This dock is expertly angled for optimum viewing of your Google Play movies and television shows. It comes equipped with an audio jack that is ideal for a powered speaker system. The Nexus 7 Dock features a polished exterior and a rubberized base for a sleek look and a secure hold. The micro USB port in the Nexus 7 Dock makes charging easy, so the fun never has to end!

Top Bottom