• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I guess for me there's no time that I have a tablet but not a phone on me, and the phone's camera is better, and the phone also has my email setup :p

Yep. When would you ever have your tablet but not your phone? A tablet can never fully replace a phone (because, well, it isn't a phone), so I don't see when you would ever only bring your tablet along with you.

SimleuqiR

THE GOOGLE NEXUS 7 is already in hot water, as Nokia claims that the tablet infringes some of its patents.

Kill it with Fire!!

It's believed that the patents in question have to do with the IEEE 802.11 WiFi standard, and Nokia told us that neither Google nor Asus have sought to license the technologies.
A Nokia spokesperson told The INQUIRER, "Nokia has more than 40 licensees, mainly for its standards essential patent portfolio, including most of the mobile device manufacturers. Neither Google nor Asus is licensed under our patent portfolio.

kehs

Banned
Yep. When would you ever have your tablet but not your phone? A tablet can never fully replace a phone (because, well, it isn't a phone), so I don't see when you would ever only bring your tablet along with you.

I guess for me there's no time that I have a tablet but not a phone on me, and the phone's camera is better, and the phone also has my email setup :p

I tend to leave my phone at my desk when I head to over to look at inventory stuff, where the tablet is at.

So did they just notice Asus makes tablets? I'm pretty sure their wif chips are the same as the rest of the transformer line and is probably licensed through Qualcomm. Unless they're trying to pull what Moto did to Apple with their lawsuit.

derder

If that's true and it turns out that it doesn't get released before the subsidized Kindle Fire 2, I'm going to feel bad, man.

Raistlin

So did they just notice Asus makes tablets? I'm pretty sure their wif chips are the same as the rest of the transformer line and is probably licensed through Qualcomm. Unless they're trying to pull what Moto did to Apple with their lawsuit.
Until now, there was no reason to notice Asus. This is pretty typical.

Cartman86

Banned
Isn't it advertised as using Corning glass? Gorilla Glass isn't a guarantee against screen shattering when you're dumb or unlucky enough for the right tumble.

I've seen conflicting reports, but my impression is that "Scratch-resistant Corning glass" which is what the Play store says it has is NOT Gorilla Glass. You're not going to scratch it, but dropping it might be a problem. I'll probably be getting some sort of journal style case like people use for Kindles.

Brera

Banned
Not a jizz fan but that review has resold me on it.

Day Zero! GF uses an iPad 3, love it but I prefer my iPhone. 7" should be a good compromise.

Big is not always better! 1280x800 is enough to compensate for me!

Love it! At £159 it's disposable!

DagsJT

Hmm Sky Go not even working properly on ICS, so it'll be years before they bother with Jellybean. Bit of a negative in thinking of buying an Android tablet for me.

Steve Ballmer in 2010: "If with the application base, with the tools that we have, with the user understanding and momentum and everything going on, we can't compete with...whatever the weird collection of Android machines is going to look like, shame on us."

Simply amazing how that guy gets every prediction wrong. By the time Surface comes out, Google will have sold millions of these.

Salaadin

2 questions:

Is there any word on Amazon selling these? I want one but have a nice amount of Amazon credit that Id like to use on it.

How are comic books on a 7 inch screen? I really want to get into comics again and want a tablet for that (amongst other things).

Sean

Banned
2 questions:

Is there any word on Amazon selling these? I want one but have a nice amount of Amazon credit that Id like to use on it.

Considering how mostly everyone is referring to the Nexus 7 as a Kindle Fire killer, I think it's highly unlikely Amazon would sell this. But you never know.

Wolf23

Neo Member
How do you think this would be as a PDF ereader?

I want to study for the MCAT and have a large volume of ExamKracker and Kaplan Material in PDF format.

Would this tablet be the best option for such a task?

I dont know much about eReaders nor Tablets.

Same here. I have email, facebook, twitter, picassa, paypal, ebay, windows live, etc, etc, etc, right there on my phone. And I never have to dump photos off to a PC or anything anymore. I just select the photo I just took and press Send To DropBox.

Same thing with internet, no need for me to purchase yet another data plan for a tablet when I can just select 3G wifi hotstop on my phone.

That's just me though.

I've seen conflicting reports, but my impression is that "Scratch-resistant Corning glass" which is what the Play store says it has is NOT Gorilla Glass. You're not going to scratch it, but dropping it might be a problem. I'll probably be getting some sort of journal style case like people use for Kindles.

I'm pretty sure it's simply a hardened glass. It doesn't meet Gorilla 1 or 2 specs but, it's still going to be more resistant to scratches than standard glass.
I'm assuming it's like the glass on my htc doubleshot which doesn't have a screen protector on it and has never scratched.

or

It could be one of the other types of display glasses they sell such as Lotus Glass, Willow Glass, or Eagle with some form of coating on it.

Absinthe

Handles it like a champ. It even loaded that huge page with the doom 3 gif! Does anyone know how to tab on this thing?

This is good to hear. :)

So, being an iOS user so far (no jalibreak), how suitable will the N7 be for all the emulator goodness you can't get on legit iOS?

I see people saying their andriod device is perfect for this but do they require an SD card for example?

If you're looking for Super NES emulation, check out SuperGNES on the Android store. Definitely the best SNES emu on Android IMO.

njean777

will be getting this, decided I would stick with iOS for my phone, and use this for reading and browsing. Plus will get the best of both worlds.

Absinthe

I thought that snesoid or snes9x was

Pretty sure snes9x got pulled but snesoid is still there. I do know that the SuperGNES guys pay attention to the community and continually update their app. They were quick to respond to any questions I had about devices and such.

SteveWD40

If you're looking for Super NES emulation, check out SuperGNES on the Android store. Definitely the best SNES emu on Android IMO.

Cool, so how does one use a pad with these things? bluetooth? will the Wiimote work?

Edit: also, best way to watch movies on this thing if you bought them on iTunes...?

DagsJT

Just ordered a 16GB model and iPad being collected on Thursday. Hopefully the N7 gets shipped sooner rather than later!

kazinova

Steve Ballmer in 2010: "If with the application base, with the tools that we have, with the user understanding and momentum and everything going on, we can't compete with...whatever the weird collection of Android machines is going to look like, shame on us."

Simply amazing how that guy gets every prediction wrong. By the time Surface comes out, Google will have sold millions of these.

Not sure your statement and the quote really work together there. But that's okay, fanboyism looks good on you! ;P

giga

How do you think this would be as a PDF ereader?

I want to study for the MCAT and have a large volume of ExamKracker and Kaplan Material in PDF format.

Would this tablet be the best option for such a task?

I dont know much about eReaders nor Tablets.
A 10" tablet would be more suited for reading a lot of fixed layout documents like PDFs. It fits an entire 8x10 document vertically.

On a 7", you could try putting it in horizontal mode, but you get very little content on the display that way so you'd be constantly scrolling because this is 16:10.

TxdoHawk

Ok so I just relised that you can't buy magazines in the UK play store, what the hell google???

Magazines only just launched last week on the Play store, and specifically timed to the I/O hoopla...my guess is that they threw up everything they had the rights to and plan on working out the rest. But yeah, I have to imagine UK magazines can't be far behind.

Somebody dropped nearly 2k on an I/O Nexus 7, lol. Lots of Q's on Ebay now too...looking at demand for those, I'd say Google isn't going to be too happy with sales when those launch. Completed auctions show that people aren't even paying the full $300 for them (most auctions seem to end in the $220-260 range).

BFIB

I subscribe to Wired and to Xbox Magazine on my Kindle Fire, hopefully those can transfer over to the new Nexus.

massoluk

Banned
This tablet is not even in the running for me anymore. No SD card expansion and it turned out the USB storage device is not natively supported.

DagsJT

I didn't realise so many people were that bothered about SD storage. Are people away from their PC that long that they can't afford to update their tablet once a while?

BFIB

I didn't realise so many people were that bothered about SD storage. Are people away from their PC that long that they can't afford to update their tablet once a while?

For those who travel a lot, I can see their point. But for me, I mostly use my tablet for couch browsing, reading, and comic/magazine reading.

I would mention you can use something like Google Drive or Dropbox...that is 10gb right there but something to note is that this is a wifi only device so you can't access it everywhere unless of course you tether it to another device.

th3dude

Magazines only just launched last week on the Play store, and specifically timed to the I/O hoopla...my guess is that they threw up everything they had the rights to and plan on working out the rest. But yeah, I have to imagine UK magazines can't be far behind.

Somebody dropped nearly 2k on an I/O Nexus 7, lol. Lots of Q's on Ebay now too...looking at demand for those, I'd say Google isn't going to be too happy with sales when those launch. Completed auctions show that people aren't even paying the full $300 for them (most auctions seem to end in the $220-260 range).

edit: wooooops, you're talking about the Q. My bad!!

16GB is plenty for me. I guess if you want to play videos, you would want more. But I don't think I would to watch movies on a 7', unless i'm flying.

The thing with android, root/custom-rom would open up most possibilities.

there's already 1click root tool for it.

Dunlop

After almost clicking the checkout button about 30 times since the IO, I just can't justify the purchase when I have a Android smartphone and a Touchpad with ICS

...So I bought a new AV receiver instead :p

I'm sure I'll cave by xmas once there is a device in the same price range with HDMI out

Top Bottom