• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

After almost clicking the checkout button about 30 times since the IO, I just can't justify the purchase when I have a Android smartphone

This is kind of how I feel. If there were _more_ tablet specific Android apps then maybe. But as of now I'm running JB on my gnex so I'm not missing much apart from a larger screen.

mil6es

I didn't realise so many people were that bothered about SD storage. Are people away from their PC that long that they can't afford to update their tablet once a while?

Seriously this, I couldn't be more happier with 16GB, it's like people want their entire library on the thing.

giga

Micro USB to hdmi is not right. The protocols are completely different.

That looks like mhl to hdmi. Mhl just uses the micro USB connector.

zbeeb

What say you gaf?

Galaxy Tab 7.7 + Accessories for A$359 shipped

Seems like a nice deal for 7.7 + original accessories

Bundle deal with Accessories @ $359 + Free Shipping or Pickup From Parramatta store
(posted by rep in another thread - seems like a nice deal!)
1x Samsung Galaxy TAB 7.7
1x Genuine TAB 7.7 Book Cover
1x Genuine TAB 7.7 Leather Pouch
1x Genuine TAB 7.7 Desktop Dock

User Coupon Code: TAB77BUNDLE Expire 08/07

or a 16gb Nexus 7 for A$319 shipped?

What say you gaf?

android-5-0-jelly-bean.jpg

dwebo

Hmm, you're right.

Maybe they accidentally got a cable that was meant to go on one of the demo devices that has hdmi out.

Hope they changed their mind though, would be a nice little plus.

apparently it came from a nexus q and they've removed that part from the teardown

oh well

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I really want one of these things, even with a galaxy nexus and two 10 inch tablets...

Mostly for web browsing since this one fits into the goldilocks size for me.

I think I'll wait for the second iteration I guess, seems wasteful to have three tablets right now even if this one is only 250 dollars.

Hieberrr

Does Canada have Gamestops? For some reason I thought they were still EB Games there. If so, check out Gamestop/EB Game's website.

We do have EB Games, but unfortunately it's not on their website :S I'll call in to ask.

There's no news of Bestbuy or the big box stores selling them is there?

EDIT: I just called in and they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about LOL. I'll call BestBuy now.

Most EB Games in Canada have already been converted to Gamestops, for the record. Anyway as someone that lives in Toronto, I just ordered it from the google play store online. MEH.

BFIB

Catching up on a few comics on my Kindle Fire this morning, and I just keep thinking "Only a few weeks until I get to see this new screen!" I think I'm going to hold off finishing up Walking Dead and the new Detective Comics until I get my Nexus.

Divvy

I imagine best buy will get it eventually. Unlike the US ones, the ones here still seem to be doing well since Amazon sucks balls in this country. I always see people hovering in the android tablet sections as well.

Izick

Catching up on a few comics on my Kindle Fire this morning, and I just keep thinking "Only a few weeks until I get to see this new screen!" I think I'm going to hold off finishing up Walking Dead and the new Detective Comics until I get my Nexus.

As someone who's always really wanted to get into comics, I'm pretty excited with having a tablet where I can use to delve into the medium.

Hieberrr

Most EB Games in Canada have already been converted to Gamestops, for the record. Anyway as someone that lives in Toronto, I just ordered it from the google play store online. MEH.

I too live in Toronto lol :p I just don't feel like pay $20 shipping (one of the things that I hate about having things shipped from the US).

Just contacted my local Best Buy and they couldn't find it in their system. I'm sure they'll carry it though, hmmm....

BFIB

As someone who's always really wanted to get into comics, I'm pretty excited with having a tablet where I can use to delve into the medium.

Comixology is where its at. Tons of cheap comics, same day release in stores for their digital content, and they have a lot of the classics.

DagsJT

What's the best comic reader for reading your own comics? Something similar to Comic Zeal or Comic Glass on iOS?

I haven't had an Android phone since I had the Galaxy S 1 so quite out of the loop with apps. I'll have to spend some time looking on the internet for the most recommended Android apps these days.

Divvy

What's the best comic reader for reading your own comics? Something similar to Comic Zeal or Comic Glass on iOS?

I like perfect viewer a lot, but I haven't tried many of the alternatives.

I hear Komik reader is good too.

I too live in Toronto lol :p I just don't feel like pay $20 shipping (one of the things that I hate about having things shipped from the US).

Just contacted my local Best Buy and they couldn't find it in their system. I'm sure they'll carry it though, hmmm....
yeah the 20 bucks is a bitch when the whole point of the product is its inexpensiveness , heh.

TxdoHawk

What say you gaf?

Repeat after me: "Nexus"

What Vic said.

Even going beyond the fact that being Nexus-branded means that Google will shower this thing with love more often and faster compared to everything else, this tablet is also going to be the one developers (whether you are talking the guys that build custom ROMs or people developing apps) have in mind going foward as far as the 7-inch realm goes. Look at the legions of people with non-Nexus devices complaining about not even having ICS yet if you need further convincing.

Not a jizz fan but that review has resold me on it.

Day Zero! GF uses an iPad 3, love it but I prefer my iPhone. 7" should be a good compromise.

Big is not always better! 1280x800 is enough to compensate for me!

Love it! At £159 it's disposable!

What does this have to do with the N7? lol

Absinthe

Cool, so how does one use a pad with these things? bluetooth? will the Wiimote work?

Edit: also, best way to watch movies on this thing if you bought them on iTunes...?

Yeah, bluetooth/wiimote does work, check out youtube for the walkthroughs. I also think with the Nexus 7 you has USB support, but I have not used one yet.

rozay

Banned

SimleuqiR

7.7 inch Super AMOLED Plus (non pentile) and the same processor (exynos) as the galaxy note are a deal at that price. Just depends on the development community...

edit: apparently 4.0 is rolling out for it right now. http://www.sammobile.com/2012/07/03/...KP1zmA.twitter actually might not be a bad buy...already has a CM9 port and it'll go a lot faster now that this is getting released.

That TouchWiz crap kills it though. But with a little tinkering you can make it as close to a Nexus device as possible.

rozay

Banned
That TouchWiz crap kills it though. But with a little tinkering you can make it as close to a Nexus device as possible.
Yeah the only reason I'd even recommend people to consider it is it has a CM9 port with a significant amount working, the only things that don't are bluetooth, wifi, and the cameras. The official 4.0 rom will have the drivers necessary to get them working. Considering that virtually every android tablet uses shitty tegra chipsets, this might actually be one of the best performing android tablets. A lot of the features missing from the N7 (hdmi, higher storage, back cameras) will be on this too if the lack of them bothers you. I don't think it will be too difficult to implement 4.1 using the source on a device that already has a 4.0 rom as a base.

Don't want to derail the thread anymore than this, don't even know if the deal is still up or not anyway.

edit: it has a microSD slot too!

Hostile Paradox

Neo Member
I will never understand why these official tablets that are meant to stream content do not have HDMI outputs. Is it to prevent piracy or do they not want to pay the royalties for using HDMI?

This is always the thing holding me back from ordering one of these affordable tablets.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/6qI1EPOQ6nW3wbhL.huge

that cable clearly says hdmi on it though, and it could just be the angle/indent shadow making it look more like a usb male end than hdmi

edit: oh you probably mean they confused it and used the wrong stock image. yeah, you're probably right
i dunno what's up with that cable... pretty sure it's against the HDMI licensing agreement to make a cable with two male ends that are anything other than HDMI.

kehs

Banned
I will never understand why these official tablets that are meant to stream content do not have HDMI outputs. Is it to prevent piracy or do they not want to pay the royalties for using HDMI?

This is always the thing holding me back from ordering one of these affordable tablets.

It's cost cutting.

Besides, that's what the Q is for.

Izick

except ...

1) At $299, the Q would make for a pretty expensive HDMI cable

2) That's actually not what the Q is for. It does not stream content from your phone/tablet ... at all. Sorry.

Well then it's because Google wants you to use their ecosystem. They want you to buy a Q instead of just being able to stream stuff from the pad itself.

Raistlin

Well then it's because Google wants you to use their ecosystem. They want you to buy a Q instead of just being able to stream stuff from the pad itself.
I realize their motivation ... I'm correcting errant information that's being given to a prospective buyer.

Izick

I wasn't stating motivations at all. I was correcting misinformation.

Although, the Q is indeed for watching/listening to content bought initially for other Google powered products, be they phones or tablets, on the TV at home, so there still is truth in the fact that it is indeed the replacement for the use of a HDMI port.

Raistlin

Although, the Q is indeed for watching/listening to content bought initially for other Google powered products, be they phones or tablets, on the TV at home, so there still is truth in the fact that it is indeed the replacement for the use of a HDMI port.
319047856_dbf1ef3e92_m.jpg

The Q is for playing back content either uploaded to your Google cloud space, Youtube, or content from Google Play ... that's it.

Stating 'that's what the Q is for' when someone is asking about HDMI output from their tablet implies mirroring or AirPlay-esque features - which are not there.

I have lots of Gamestop credit and mulling over whether to use it on the new Nexus.

I have a couple of questions

1. Is it possible to borrow library books(epub) on Android tablets?
2. Does anyone use their 7" tablet for book reading, how is the eye strain?

Top Bottom