• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

kehs

Banned
except ...

1) At $299, the Q would make for a pretty expensive HDMI cable

2) That's actually not what the Q is for. It does not stream content from your phone/tablet ... at all. Sorry.

While I was being facetious (oops, It's raistlin!), it's the same end result. Actually a little more convenient since the initial user who set up the stream can leave, and the device can still benefit.

mkenyon

Banned
I have lots of Gamestop credit and mulling over whether to use it on the new Nexus.

I have a couple of questions

1. Is it possible to borrow library books(epub) on Android tablets?
2. Does anyone use their 7" tablet for book reading, how is the eye strain?
1. Yes.
2. Depends entirely on the quality of the screen. I do it on my Galaxy Note's 5" screen no prob. I honestly think that 7" is the *perfect* tablet size, as reading books on a iPad and Transformer Prime has proved way too cumbersome for me.

Zeppu

wm_IMG_2282.jpg
wm_IMG_2283_thumb.jpg

Uh-oh

giga

Probably just the first batch or random outliers that they'll correct shortly down the line. Some people reported something similar with the new rMBP.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Nice review from TechnoBuffalo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK8n54YiabE

Apparently, it's not a defect:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/114753028665775786510/posts/KgG5QFLbGVy
Lauren Weinstein
4:24 PM (edited) - Public
No, the Nexus 7 LCD display is not defective. - What is being described is actually image persistence, and this is known to be somewhat more characteristic of IPS (In-Plane Switching) LCD panels like that used in the N7. The trade-off is typically better clarity and viewing angles. This type of persistence is caused by residual discharge effects, not "burn-in." Here's a page that gives some technical background: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=HT051485

1. Yes.
2. Depends entirely on the quality of the screen. I do it on my Galaxy Note's 5" screen no prob. I honestly think that 7" is the *perfect* tablet size, as reading books on a iPad and Transformer Prime has proved way too cumbersome for me.
Thanks for the answers. I'll probably buy the Nexus. :)

BFIB

Why hasn't this been mentioned in any other reviews so far?

Probably because no one else noticed it, or didn't leave an image on the screen for an extended period of time. It's not a big issue, a lot of IPS panels have ghosting. Keep in mind they also had this at max brightness.

Izick

Probably because no one else noticed it, or didn't leave an image on the screen for an extended period of time. It's not a big issue, a lot of IPS panels have ghosting. Keep in mind they also had this at max brightness.

I just find it hard to believe that all these sites never picked up on it till now. Either way this is no big deal and I'm still super-pumped.

dwebo

when I opened that link and read ghosting, I was worried it'd be the slow pixel response kind of ghosting which is absolutely terrible

as an owner of an older plasma tv, I can't say I give a fuck about temporary burn-in

my only lingering worries are about how long it takes to charge (some reviews saying even longer than ipad3), and whether the racing glove-esque back cover will eventually clot up with dead skin / sweat residue / random knickknacks

BFIB

When the Kindle Fire launched, I saw no ghosting issues whatosever. But on one update, I did notice some ghosting when moving icons, etc. The next update hit, and the issue went away.

This could be software related, but even still, its not enough to deter me from buying it.

Zeth

Seriously considering becoming "that guy" and getting a second tablet. The form factor is a good enough justification for me, Android 4.1 is icing on the cake. I love mobile tech stuff, and want to have access to the Android ecosystem.

Is 2-3 weeks the general launch or is that the current wait for new orders?

Hieberrr

Seriously considering becoming "that guy" and getting a second tablet. The form factor is a good enough justification for me, Android 4.1 is icing on the cake. I love mobile tech stuff, and want to have access to the Android ecosystem.

Hey, why not? It seems like a relatively cheap Android tablet. You won't find a vanilla Android experience for that price anywhere else.

I believe 2-3 weeks is when it officially launches, at least on Google Play.

kehs

Banned
B&H has the 16GB as well for $250. Looks like online retailers are getting the 16GB model but not the 8 for now?

They're a real store in NYC.

So help me....!

(thanks for the link...now to cancel from Google...blah)

I now do not believe they were selling at cost.

kehs

Banned
You're all on my list!

I just canceled from Google, but I just realized no details on what I was canceling transpired. -_-

lol

Zeth

I'd order from J&R but I'd be disappointed if it ships even a few days later than Google's. I'm such a child. Need my toys and need them now!

J&R and B&H are two of my top destinations when I visit NYC.

Raistlin

While I was being facetious (oops, It's raistlin!), it's the same end result.
No ... no its not. And it's quite disingenuous to claim otherwise.

Also, how is it at all obvious you're being facetious given there's a fair amount of misunderstanding on what the Q is and isn't out there?

None of my IPS screens have anything approaching that.

Since no one has made mention of in other reviews though, I suspect this may not be as obvious in all N7's. Hopefully the two he tested were outliers.

It uses a single, wide grill ... there's actually two drivers underneath though.

Unless you're in NY

T_T

kehs

Banned
No ... no its not. And it's quite disingenuous to claim otherwise.

Also, how is it at all obvious you're being facetious given there's a fair amount of misunderstanding on what the Q is and isn't out there?
It's limited in what you can interact with right now, I agree.

That withstanding, unless you want differentiate on a technical level, the end result is the same. As in, play whatever I'm playing on this device on that device.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i've been more excited to get this tablet than any other tech purchase i've made in the last year. and yes, this includes the third iPad. the newness of Jellybean and the dramatic improvements i'll see in Android from the last time i used it (2.x) has me geeked out in a rather childish way.

i bought the 8GB version and am sticking with it. i stream the vast majority of my content to my iPad and have only made a tiny dent on the 32GB of storage. hopefully there will be something like Air Video Server for Android.

J&R is old school. They can be trusted. Back in the day they were the only place I could physically see the original iMacs.

IMG_2059-jnr.jpg
J&R is good stuff. sometimes have great sales on clearance and i can hop on the express bus right outside the store to take me comfortably back to Queens, 2 blocks from home. it made buying my AudioEngine A5s an easy proposition right after work.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?

This will be my second tablet as well (iPad 2) and I feel totally fine with it. I really like the improvements Google made in this update, plus I think I'll like the form factor a little more coming from an iPad.

rozay

Banned
None of my IPS screens have anything approaching that.

Since no one has made mention of in other reviews though, I suspect this may not be as obvious in all N7's. Hopefully the two he tested were
the IPS in thinkpad X220s do this, are the N7 screens made by LG as well?

Raistlin

It's limited in what you can interact with right now, I agree.

That withstanding, unless you want differentiate on a technical level, the end result is the same. As in, play whatever I'm playing on this device on that device.
Guess I was more right than I realized about people not knowing what Q is.

It does NOT work like that. Saying it over and over again doesn't make it right.

Top Bottom