• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

For the free apps it seems like "ACV" "Perfect Viewer" and "Komik Reader" are the best comic apps. Perfect Viewer is kind of ugly, but has a ton of options. ACV is clean, but basic. Komik seems to be for tablets though I haven't used it. None have the syncing feature that Comic Zeal nor the sleek design (in my limited experience).

EDIT: There are so crazy looking payed apps that i'm looking into.

make sure to post your findings if you notice one is the best by a notable amount. And yeah I know not to expect anything as slick as Zeal :(

qDLN3.png

it really doesn't look THAT much bigger

sure it's bigger but is it worth having another device laying around ?

if I already have a Gnex and a 14.1" Laptop ?

Well if you want an e-reader its probably worth having it. Both me and my wife are in that situation so I ordered one to see how it is.

Of course I don't *really* need the other functionality but I think having it for video skype would be nice as well with a screen bigger than my iPhone. However, my wife doesn't even have a smartphone so I think its going to be a big thing for her.

tino

Banned
For people who plan to use it as magazine reader or comic reader, Perfect Viewer is IMO the best. You just need to spend time to customize the control.

If you want your tablet automatically download pdf files from your PC, sugarsync can do it. Or you can buy foldersync and it will auto sync from multiple cloud storage accounts (box, dropbox, google doc, sugarsync). Yes that means you can have virtually unlimited cloud storage.

DagsJT

For people who plan to use it as magazine reader or comic reader, Perfect Viewer is IMO the best. You just need to spend time to customize the control.

If you want your tablet automatically download pdf files from your PC, sugarsync can do it. Or you can buy foldersync and it will auto sync from multiple cloud storage accounts (box, dropbox, google doc, sugarsync). Yes that means you can have virtually unlimited cloud storage.

FolderSync sounds awesome, need to remember that one. I'm going to make a list of apps that I need to get once I get my tablet.

Any other essential/good apps that I should check out?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Had a dumb, dumb question. I'm like my mom with smart phones as I'm still learning mine, and I was planning on getting one of these for trips and whatnot. I've got an Android phone and when I first got it, it used google, but in the past couple of months it's unfortunately forced Bing on me.

This thing will use Google right? That's not something Android tablets are forced to use right? Like I said, I'm completely dumb on this stuff.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Had a dumb, dumb question. I'm like my mom with smart phones as I'm still learning mine, and I was planning on getting one of these for trips and whatnot. I've got an Android phone and when I first got it, it used google, but in the past couple of months it's unfortunately forced Bing on me.

This thing will use Google right? That's not something Android tablets are forced to use right? Like I said, I'm completely dumb on this stuff.

Wuuuuh? How did that happen?

I have no idea what you're talking about with the bing forcing, but no that wouldn't happen.

JonnyBrad

It will default as google but you can change that if you want.

kehs

Banned
I don't know. Whenever I use the search feature it uses bing now. I've got a Revolution.

Search feature through the phone button, or search through the browser?

If it's the browser go to the settings and there should be a default home page setting in there.

If it's through the search button on the phone, you must have installed bing search at one point or another. You can clear the defaults through setttings > apps > find the bing app > Clear defaults.

For the free apps it seems like "ACV" "Perfect Viewer" and "Komik Reader" are the best comic apps. Perfect Viewer is kind of ugly, but has a ton of options. ACV is clean, but basic. Komik seems to be for tablets though I haven't used it. None have the syncing feature that Comic Zeal nor the sleek design (in my limited experience).

EDIT: There are some crazy looking payed apps that i'm looking into.

Perfect Viewer is amazing. Best comic/manga app in my opinion. I use it just about everyday. It's very customisable. It makes keeping track of what you've read very easy. UI is a bit clunky, though. After a minute it's easy to pick up on.

Curufinwe

My parents in law managed to spend $170 on this piece of crap Nextbook tablet which doesn't even allow access to the Android marketplace, and now they're upset they're having trouble getting apps for it.

http://www.kmart.com/nextbook-8inch...W004806738001P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052NLL7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm going to try and convince them to return it to K-mart and wait for the Nexus 7 to be released to retail. I'll even give them the $30 difference just to avoid having to troubleshoot this useless thing.

Izick

My parents in law managed to spend $170 on this piece of crap Nextbook tablet which doesn't even allow access to the Android marketplace, and now they're upset they're having trouble getting apps for it.

http://www.kmart.com/nextbook-8inch...W004806738001P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052NLL7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm going to try and convince them to return it to K-mart and wait for the Nexus 7 to be released to retail. I'll even give them the $30 difference just to avoid having to troubleshoot this useless thing.

That's nice of you, and that definitely is going to solve a lot of problems down the road I'm guessing.

adroit

But...but...but...it has the GetJar Appstore!!! [....crickets chirping....]

Curufinwe

Before the Nexus 7 got announced we kept telling them to get a Kindle fire since, even if the hardware quality isn't the best, we have one ourselves and know exactly what it can do. But of course they had to go spend almost as much on some no name brand.

Emily Chu

Banned
just took a screen shot with my gnex set @ 193 dpi instead of the usual 320dpi

@ this dpi it really feels like a neat mini tablet to me
EFb6ll.png

it's just another reason why I just don't see a good reason to have a Nex 7 laying around...

kinda bugs me too they both have the exact same resolution.... 720p vs 720p

sure it'll be a nice as heck tablet but for me its most likely it's just going to be left @ home most of the time when I can just take me Gnex.

I guess if makes more sense if I put it in Firearms terms

if I had to only take one pistol with me on the go, I would take a compact, lighter, smaller handgun over a bigger, bulkier, heavier handgun if they both get the job done all the same.

lol I just keeping coming up with excuses not to buy it watch it appear one day @ a gamestop and I just instantly drop 200 bones on it @ a drop of a hat.

but if I didn't have a Gnex or a sizable smartphone I would jump @ a Nex 7.

r1chard

I haven't read comics on an android device yet as I've only done it on my iPad. I hope they have something in the play store that is somewhere near the quality of Comic Zeal on iOS, which is basically perfect.
I'm a fan of the comiXology app on my Transformer Prime. Such pretty pictures.

kehs

Banned
Chu: is that DPI changed built into AOKP too? I just tried some random one from the store and I had to reflash the system cause my system didn't want to boot. hah.

e:Can't even do it by editing the buildprop, blah.

qDLN3.png

it really doesn't look THAT much bigger

sure it's bigger but is it worth having another device laying around ?

if I already have a Gnex and a 14.1" Laptop ?

For me personally, it's not necessary but more of a luxury. I already have the gnex running jellybean. If there were more tablet specifics app for Android I'd pick one up. I'll probably pick one up anyway though so meh.

Emily Chu

Banned
Chu: is that DPI changed built into AOKP too? I just tried some random one from the store and I had to reflash the system cause my system didn't want to boot. hah.

yep, funny thing is that if you set lower then 193 dpi the whole phone goes into the tablet UI

figured that out by experimenting so I set it to 193 to take advantage of the increase dpi but keep the phone UI and keyboard

I've got AOKP B40 + Lean Kernel 3.90 exp6 atm

set it any lower than 180ish and the phone just bootloops like mad... : /

tino

Banned
Gaming proper on Android :)

http://imgur.com/a/sRiLs

OMY, I think god just saw my post about the Xperia Play. I am going to do this with my Note and dump my Xperia Play.

edit: I read the original reedit link and dude explained how to do it

What material did you use to make the stand thing? Also, that looks awesome!
[–]Y_U_NO_Kill 35 points 6 hours ago
Thick Copper Wire, with MDPC-Sleeve. Very solid. Thanks :)
permalinkparent
[–]blackjackel 16 points 5 hours ago
where did you get the materials? how thick? could you post a how to? I want to make this and im sure many more people want to as well
permalinkparent
[–]Y_U_NO_Kill 37 points 4 hours ago*
acquire copper wire that is about 3mm thick. Then bend it into something like this (http://i.imgur.com/oxHfXh.jpg), use 2 multigrip pliers (Ugly word in english...) for that. then cover it with some wire sleeve. mine was a leftover from pc modding (http://en.mdpc-x.com/mdpc-sleeve/sleeve/sleeve-small-black.htm). attach some shrink tube at the ends, and u are done.
permalinkparent

SteveWD40

Nexus 7 could be DOA outside the US...

The Inquirer is reporting that, according to Google, people in the UK who purchase the Nexus 7 won't be able to download any TV shows, music or magazines from the Google Play store. At the moment, Google simply doesn't have the proper licensing rights to offer that kind of content in the UK Google Play store.

On top of the EU not getting it for a while, Amazon still acting like the world outside the US is a myth and Apple, with their consistent worldwide services rumoured to be launching a 7" tablet...

Dizzan

MINI Member
Was anyone going to actually use Google Play for that stuff anyway?

I'm in Australia and I would definitely use the service if it was released. I hate the fact that they still aren't released. To me it seems like google are scrambling to play catch up to iTunes outside the us. I still ordered a nexus 7 though :) and sold my iPad.

Cheebo

Banned
I'm in Australia and I would definitely use the service if it was released. I hate the fact that they still aren't released. To me it seems like google are scrambling to play catch up to iTunes outside the us. I still ordered a nexus 7 though :) and sold my iPad.

They are playing catch up in America too. They are missing a lot of the major film studios still.

DagsJT

Was anyone going to actually use Google Play for that stuff anyway?

Yep. Can't say I'm too unhappy at that as it doesn't affect me personally. Although I can see why it would annoy people seeing as the small storage space was designed with cloud and Play in mind.

Can't imagine Google themselves are happy either though, it's potential sales being lost so I'd imagine they're trying to get it sorted sooner rather than later.

JordanKZ

Magazines, TV shows and Music will eventually come to the Play Store... Although I'd bet it'll be at least 6 to 8 months before we see anything. Most thought we'd never see Movies and slowly but surely there's a decent amount appearing on there. Good amount of books too.

Google Play Music isn't awesome in terms of a shop, but the cloud storage is fantastic. I'd recommend people use the work around to get a hold of it.

I was hoping to use mine for magazines etc but then I found Zinio, which will hopefully be a satisfactory replacement. I've put it on my S2 but haven't really used it as I'd prefer it on a bigger screen. As for music, I'll probably drop a few quid on a Spotify sub at some point, always Netflix for films too.

As for comics, I'll second all the Comixology suggestions, guided view is a dream even on an s2 and would only be better on a 7" screen. It has a rather extensive library and another bonus is that unlike the ipad app, it charges you in $ rather than £ making things a dam sight cheaper!

I can't wait for this to arrive, my first tablet! Off on holidays in September so this is ideal as a media player/e-reader for the plane/lounging around.

DagsJT

Google Play Music isn't awesome in terms of a shop, but the cloud storage is fantastic. I'd recommend people use the work around to get a hold of it.

I was going to do that tonight but it seemed a little dodgy. The was a guide which suggested using TUN or something, couldn't get that to work. A few others mentioned other programs but there were suggestions that people were getting their Google passwords intercepted whilst using some service or other.

In saying that, I have a Windows Phone and use Zune for my music anyway. Still, it's probably good to backup my own music to Google just for backup purposes.

Sanjuro

make sure to post your findings if you notice one is the best by a notable amount. And yeah I know not to expect anything as slick as Zeal :(

Perfect Viewer is easily the best, by far. I'm not familiar with the IOS comparisons although to be honest, but I"m basing my findings after installing all the various readers one night and just going through the various likes/dislikes.

The only downside to Perfect Viewer is learning the touch map hotspot layout, not accidentally hitting them. The bookshelf is very well done and clean. It also seems to be the most stable of the readers. The biggest offense to me was not having a bookshelf, which many of the other readers did not have or worked smoothly.

ComicRack seemed to be a great alternative, but it simply wasn't as solid of a reader in terms of crashing. They don't have OSX support as well. The idea is to be like iTunes more, where you load your comics up to a computer program and have them sync to your device over WiFi or direct connection.

Top Bottom