• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Raistlin

The hell are you two even talking about, lol.
He's pretending that you can have whatever you are playing on your Nexus 7 play on your TV using Nexus Q as though it functions like AirPlay and mirroring. And therefore, HDMI out is no needed.

Beyond the fact Nexus Q is $299 ... it doesn't actually work like that to begin with.

I don't think raistlin can read context

unless there's alot of space in between ideas.
There is not relevant context here. It's a completely absurd statement.

"Hey guys ... I just ordered a movie on Vudu. I can play it on my iPad or on my TV using my PS3. Look ... just like HDMI!!!"

kehs

Banned
He's pretending that you can have whatever you are playing on your Nexus 7 play on your TV using Nexus Q as though it functions like AirPlay and mirroring. And therefore, HDMI out is no needed.

Beyond the fact Nexus Q is $299 ... it doesn't actually work like that to begin with.

There is not relevant context here. It's a completely absurd statement.

Raistlin.

If you are watching a youtube video on a device and you want to show it on the tv. You "send" it to the q via a button in the youtube app.

If you want to listen to a song that's on your device/account and you want to play it through the system. You "send" it to the q via a button in the music app.

The only limitation right now is that it only works with Play content. Google TV works similarly. If you are watching youtube on your phone, you can "send" it to the Google TV and it'll load up the video in the youtube app on the Google TV.

Like I said, if you want have a techincal dicussion on how it works, yes they are worlds apart, and you are not directly sending the very same data between just two devices. The end result however is that you sent that content to another device.

dwebo

j&r's ups option was less than $2, so hopefully that'll arrive a bit sooner than my postman otherwise would. if this ships significantly later than google I will be annoyed

Zeth

I guess I can expect the next major update to come to this device rather quickly, right? If not the next several?
This is probably the best long term value proposition for Android devices (like the GNexus).

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I guess I can expect the next major update to come to this device rather quickly, right? If not the next several?
This is probably the best long term value proposition for Android devices (like the GNexus).
The next Android version after Jelly Bean will made with this tablet in mind.

Raistlin

Raistlin.

If you are watching a youtube video on a device and you want to show it on the tv. You "send" it to the q via a button in the youtube app.

If you want to listen to a song that's on your device/account and you want to play it through the system. You "send" it to the q via a button in the music app.

The only limitation right now is that it only works with Play content. Google TV works similarly. If you are watching youtube on your phone, you can "send" it to the Google TV and it'll load up the video in the youtube app on the Google TV.
Copernicus,

That 'only limitation' is the size of the grand canyon. If someone is lamenting the lack of HDMI output in 7" tablets, pretending this is a replacement is silly.

Can they play a video that's stored on their tablet on it? No. Music? No. Videos and music on their Network? No. Stuff like Pandora? No. Netflix? No

It's serves and very limited purpose ... and that purpose is NOT the same as HDMI. AirPlay and mirroring? That's serving the same function.

Like I said, if you want have a techincal dicussion on how it works, yes they are worlds apart, and you are not directly sending the very same data between just two devices. The end result however is that you sent that piece of media to another device.
The technical aspects are immaterial. Who cares how it works? The point is that the feature set is even on the same planet. This is of course before considering the the price of the Q.

It's funny you mention GoogleTV. If playing Google Play and YouTube content on one's TV is all someone is after, you should be pointing people to the $99 Vizio GoogleTV box since it basically has the same features plus a ton more. Other than the amp (obviously) the only feature it's really missing is the queuing, and by all accounts that's pretty half-baked anyway.

I don't expect it to be limited to only Play forever.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Let me get this straight.

So because in your mind ... at some later date ... it might get some unknown level of extra functionality ... that may or may not actually make it a subtible replacement for HDMI functionality in terms of use-case ...

... it's now already the same thing as HDMI?

holy shit

QBYKY.jpg

Cipherr

Yeah the Nexus devices always are for the most part.

The next Android version after Jelly Bean will made with this tablet in mind.

Actually really hyped for it now, hope it comes around the same time ICS did, around Q4.

kehs

Banned
Copernicus,

That 'only limitation' is the size of the grand canyon. If someone is lamenting the lack of HDMI output in 7" tablets, pretending this is a replacement is silly.

Can they play a video that stored on their tablet on it? No. Music? No. Videos and music on their Network? No. Stuff like Pandora? No. Netflix? No

It's serves and very limited purpose ... and that purpose is NOT the same as HDMI. AirPlay and mirroring? That's serving the same function.

The technical aspects are immaterial. Who cares how it works? The point is that the feature set is even on the same planet. This is of course before considering the the price of the Q.

It's funny you mention GoogleTV. If playing Google Play and YouTube content on one's TV is all someone is after, you should be pointing people to the $99 Vizio GoogleTV box since it basically has the same features plus a ton more. Other than the amp (obviously) the only feature it's really missing is the queuing, and by all accounts that's pretty half-baked anyway.

Let me get this straight.

So because in your mind ... at some later date ... it might get some unknown level of extra functionality ... that may or may not actually make it a subtible replacement for HDMI functionality in terms of use-case ...

... it's now already the same thing as HDMI?

holy shit

http://i.imgur.com/QBYKY.jpg[iMG][/QUOTE]

Let me say again, that my original statement regarding HDMI was in jest because we all know in it's current state the Q is overpriced and gimped.

With that said, the intent of having an hdmi out is to display whatever media you are utilizing on a device onto a bigger device. You've already established that 8 or 16 gigs is paltry for storing content on the device, at that point HDMI out falls to a really low priority.

As of right now the Q has ultra limited functionality for it's price(I think that goes without saying, but even after I say it, I feel the need to say it again just to make sure you imply I'm saying otherwise, so again; it's currently limited in being able to access content).

The device itself is loaded to the gills with technical potential. It's basically a GN without a screen and more outputs to boot. I don't think for a moment something with those specs is going to be relegated to it's current state. If that was the end goal they would have done what HTC is doing with their wifi hdmi dongle.

It's obviously running some stripped down version of Android, possibly the same base as Google TV considering the space it's in. So yes, part of my commentary is based on conjecture that this thing will be updated with more robust firmware that will allow things like DLNA streaming (playing music and video from the tablet) and sharing links between device apps like netlix or pandora. Which is currently possible.

I wasn't pointing anyone to the Q in it's current state, I was making a [I]joke[/I].

Raistlin

Let me say again, that my original statement regarding HDMI was in jest because we all know in it's current state the Q is overpriced and gimped.
Yet, you've felt it necessary to obstinately fight the goodbad fight anyway. Maybe if you say it enough, it won't be bullshit?

With that said, the intent of having an hdmi out is to display whatever media you are utilizing on a device onto a bigger device. You've already established that 8 or 16 gigs is paltry for storing content on the device, at that point HDMI out falls to a really low priority.
*BZZZZ* wrong answer. Nice try though ... especially where you attempt to throw my comments on memory back in my face.

You're completely dismissing a very common use-case I've brought up more than once. Tons of people use their tablets to display content on their TV either from networked content (on a PC, NAS, etc) ... or from services they are using on their device - Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, etc.

And that's what HDMI or a suitable replacement gets you. And it's not here.

I wasn't pointing anyone to the Q in it's current state, I was making a joke.
But again ... you've felt the compulsion to continue arguing that HDMI is not needed because there is a viable work around for those that would want the functionality.

kehs

Banned
Yet, you've felt it necessary to obstinately fight the goodbad fight anyway. Maybe if you say it enough, it won't be bullshit?

*BZZZZ* wrong answer. Nice try though ... especially where you attempt to throw my comments on memory back in my face.

You're completely dismissing a very common use-case I've brought up more than once. Tons of people use their tablets to display content on their TV either from networked content (on a PC, NAS, etc) ... or from services they are using on their device - Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, etc.

And that's what HDMI or a suitable replacement gets you. And it's not here.

But again ... you've felt the compulsion to continue arguing that HDMI is not needed because there is a viable work around for those that would want the functionality.

I started up typing a new post, but it's pretty much the same content of the last post.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Legend:
Bold: HDMI Use Cases
Underline: Qualifier
Bold & Underline: In case you missed it again.

As of right now the Q has ultra limited functionality for it's price(I think that goes without saying, but even after I say it, I feel the need to say it again just to make sure you imply I'm saying otherwise, so again; it's currently limited in being able to access content).

The device itself is loaded to the gills with technical potential. It's basically a GN without a screen and more outputs to boot. I don't think for a moment something with those specs is going to be relegated to it's current state. If that was the end goal they would have done what HTC is doing with their wifi hdmi dongle.

It's obviously running some stripped down version of Android, possibly the same base as Google TV considering the space it's in. So yes, part of my commentary is based on conjecture that this thing will be updated with more robust firmware that will allow things like DLNA streaming (playing music and video from the tablet) and sharing links between device apps like netlix or pandora. Which is currently possible.

I wasn't pointing anyone to the Q in it's current state, I was making a joke.

Sorry if this has been covered previously, apologies, but is there an exact release date for in-store?

I know it says shipping mid July or 2-3 weeks from the time you order, but is there an actual date I can go into Gamestop or Best Buy, or whoever will be carrying them and pick one up?

giga

Emily Chu

Banned
qDLN3.png

it really doesn't look THAT much bigger

sure it's bigger but is it worth having another device laying around ?

if I already have a Gnex and a 14.1" Laptop ?

mkenyon

Banned
What is all this complaining about no HDMI? Who really hooks up their phone or tablet to a TV? Is this not what HTPC's/XBox/Roku/everythingunderthesun is made for?

I just do not get it.

Panda Rin

For those interested in trading their current iOS/Android device, Gamestop is actually having a very good deal for those interested. You get an additional 30% on trade-ins toward a Nexus 7. I went in today and ended up putting down $140 towards one by trading in an iPod Touch 4G 8GB. Trade-in values for android tablets are also fairly reasonable as well and accompanied with the 30& bonus will most likely get you above what you expect to sell on the market. No tax as well apparently!

Izick

For those interested in trading their current iOS/Android device, Gamestop is actually having a very good deal for those interested. You get an additional 30% on trade-ins toward a Nexus 7. I went in today and ended up putting down $140 towards one by trading in an iPod Touch 4G 8GB.

Is that trade in deal good with games too?

Mairu

For those interested in trading their current iOS/Android device, Gamestop is actually having a very good deal for those interested. You get an additional 30% on trade-ins toward a Nexus 7. I went in today and ended up putting down $140 towards one by trading in an iPod Touch 4G 8GB. Trade-in values for android tablets are also fairly reasonable as well and accompanied with the 30& bonus will most likely get you above what you expect to sell on the market. No tax as well apparently!

That's pretty good. Looks like more than you would've gotten selling on Glyde or trading it in to Amazon at least.

Vyer

What is all this complaining about no HDMI? Who really hooks up their phone or tablet to a TV? Is this not what HTPC's/XBox/Roku/everythingunderthesun is made for?

I just do not get it.

I believe they are talking about the Q. But I could be wrong.

adroit

Um, you know the Nexus 7 Guidebook you can read on Google Play? Uh, I opened the guide using the browser (Firefox) on my PC (don't have an Android device yet...waiting for my Nexus 7) and did a search for the word "history" and I got some very strange hits. Here's one example (of many):

In addition to distinguishing UAVs from ballistic vehicles, cruise missiles, and artillery projectiles, it also rules out gliders (which are unpowered), blimps and balloons (which float vice using aerodynamic lift), and tethered objects (which lack...

It appears Google's online book index is f'd up. If I click one of these search results, it links me to a page in the Nexus 7 Guidebook which (unsurprisingly) does not contain any content about UAVs.

Here's a link to the guidebook for those who missed it when someone posted it earlier:

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=gKmQD47OvCYC

To search, click the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner when you have the guide open in your browser.

Edit: Same problem with other books. This is a mess. I wonder when Google will discover the problem and fix it.

Cartman86

Banned
What is that thing that's always behind the Google Chrome logo on the main screen?

Folder that contains Chrome and other Google Apps. Looks like Maps and Google+. For some reason that folder always comes default on new Google Android devices.

tino

Banned
qDLN3.png

it really doesn't look THAT much bigger

sure it's bigger but is it worth having another device laying around ?

if I already have a Gnex and a 14.1" Laptop ?

Dat bezel! My eyes! Waiting for superior Asus SD enabled version.

Cartman86

Banned
I'm going to use this device for digital comics. I've been meaning to catch up on a bunch of them and the price is just too good for me. Do you think I will be able to read them decently on this? I'm trying to extrapolate based on my Galaxy Nexus. If I am zoomed out to the full page I obviously can't read comfortably, but I can see the text quiet clearly because of the high resolution screen. I zoom in about 20% more and I can see the text pretty much exactly how I want to. I assume that this is what it would look like on that 7 inch screen in the full screen view. Is this an accurate way to do this? Or is the DPI on the Nexus 7 not equivalent to what i'm doing? Am I stupid?

Izick

I need that HDMI port for when I....um when I....when I want to play a video I've downloaded, but don't want to use my 360, PS3, or my laptop...

BFIB

I'm going to use this device for digital comics. I've been meaning to catch up on a bunch of them and the price is just too good for me. Do you think I will be able to read them decently on this? I'm trying to extrapolate based on my Galaxy Nexus. If I am zoomed out to the full page I obviously can't read comfortably, but I can see the text quiet clearly because of the high resolution screen. I zoom in about 20% more and I can see the text pretty much exactly how I want to. I assume that this is what it would look like on that 7 inch screen in the full screen view. Is this an accurate way to do this? Or is the DPI on the Nexus 7 not equivalent to what i'm doing? Am I stupid?

I use pane by pane view w/ Comixology, and it works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn6LEXf0FF8

I haven't read comics on an android device yet as I've only done it on my iPad. I hope they have something in the play store that is somewhere near the quality of Comic Zeal on iOS, which is basically perfect.

Cartman86

Banned
I haven't read comics on an android device yet as I've only done it on my iPad. I hope they have something in the play store that is somewhere near the quality of Comic Zeal on iOS, which is basically perfect.

For the free apps it seems like "ACV" "Perfect Viewer" and "Komik Reader" are the best comic apps. Perfect Viewer is kind of ugly, but has a ton of options. ACV is clean, but basic. Komik seems to be for tablets though I haven't used it. None have the syncing feature that Comic Zeal nor the sleek design (in my limited experience).

EDIT: There are some crazy looking payed apps that i'm looking into.

Top Bottom