• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

DagsJT

Perfect Viewer is easily the best, by far. I'm not familiar with the IOS comparisons although to be honest, but I"m basing my findings after installing all the various readers one night and just going through the various likes/dislikes.

The only downside to Perfect Viewer is learning the touch map hotspot layout, not accidentally hitting them. The bookshelf is very well done and clean. It also seems to be the most stable of the readers. The biggest offense to me was not having a bookshelf, which many of the other readers did not have or worked smoothly.

ComicRack seemed to be a great alternative, but it simply wasn't as solid of a reader in terms of crashing. They don't have OSX support as well. The idea is to be like iTunes more, where you load your comics up to a computer program and have them sync to your device over WiFi or direct connection.

Does Perfect Viewer support the likes of Dropbox and Skydrive?

Sanjuro

Does Perfect Viewer support the likes of Dropbox and Skydrive?

No, it's standalone, but shouldn't be an issue. Basically you just point it towards a folder. After that, you can create other folders in there and it will continuously update your bookshelf. The navigation is similar to a file system.

kehs

Banned
I can't remember where I saw it, but the BOM puts the Nexus 7 costs at $183, compared to $158 for the kindle from like a year ago.

I can't remember where I saw it, but the BOM puts the Nexus 7 costs at $183, compared to $158 for the kindle from like a year ago.

It's kind of hard to believe that the Fire even cost that much to produce, considering it was already running on mostly-outdated tech when it came out.

mclaren777

Was anyone going to actually use Google Play for that stuff anyway?

Not me. The whole "My Library" thing on the home screen is one of the biggest turn-offs for me about the N7. I have no intention of putting any music/books/videos on it so I wish there was a way to get rid of that upper section entirely.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Not me. The whole "My Library" thing on the home screen is one of the biggest turn-offs for me about the N7. I have no intention of putting any music/books/videos on it so I wish there was a way to get rid of that upper section entirely.

Isn't it just a widget you can remove if you want?

BFIB

Well, my order on GooglePlay now shows "complete" instead of "In Progress" and my CC has another pending charge status.

Maybe they are sending out earlier than expected?

Well, my order on GooglePlay now shows "complete" instead of "In Progress" and my CC has another pending charge status.

Maybe they are sending out earlier than expected?

Mine has stated 'complete' since ordering on the 28th but the charge thing sounds intriguing.

SimleuqiR

http://9to5google.com/2012/07/05/review-7-days-with-the-199-nexus-7-serendipity/

Wrap up:

Something strange happened after the announcement and my initial review. An absurdly large number of people I talk to about technology went out and bought this device right after it was announced. I am not talking about Android fans or early adopters here—these are Apple fans in the Apple ecosystem, newbies to tablets, and people who generally do not care about technology. If the Kindle was a hit at $199, then this is going to blow that away. Apple fans curious about Android are snapping this up.

This thing is going to be big. Apple knows it and has already started alerting the press that it will build a 7-inch competitor. Amazon is expected to launch a competitor soon, as well. It will be interesting to see how these fare. But, for now, Google has a hit…if it can make enough of these and avoid any major catastrophes.

If it ends up being "big", I'm sure Google will flaunt the sell through numbers. Though, they don't make any money out of the hardware.

Izick

Welcome to android.

/waiting for Note 10.1 since February.

Yeah, but this is confirmed to be releasing this month, barring some strange delay, so it's not like it's just some mystical date or something. It's coming out this month, and we're in this month already, and we still don't know when.

Perfect Viewer is easily the best, by far. I'm not familiar with the IOS comparisons although to be honest, but I"m basing my findings after installing all the various readers one night and just going through the various likes/dislikes.

The only downside to Perfect Viewer is learning the touch map hotspot layout, not accidentally hitting them. The bookshelf is very well done and clean. It also seems to be the most stable of the readers. The biggest offense to me was not having a bookshelf, which many of the other readers did not have or worked smoothly.

ComicRack seemed to be a great alternative, but it simply wasn't as solid of a reader in terms of crashing. They don't have OSX support as well. The idea is to be like iTunes more, where you load your comics up to a computer program and have them sync to your device over WiFi or direct connection.
thanks, guess I'll look into that one.

DagsJT

It's not possible to buy anything from the Google store unless you have an Android device linked? That's ridiculous.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah, but this is confirmed to be releasing this month, barring some strange delay, so it's not like it's just some mystical date or something. It's coming out this month, and we're in this month already, and we still don't know when.

Yes like I said, welcome to android.

"It's coming out soon, this month, unless there's delays, but I'm sure that probably won't happen... maybe. And oh hey, we might not have enough for everyone.. just throwing that out there."

Sanjuro

Why do I need a device? Why can't my purchase just be tied to my account in general?

I bought an application and don't have a device. REFUND GOOGLE
I bought an application and it doesn't work on my device. REFUND GOOGLE

See the pattern?

What if I just want to buy one of these to have a tablet and I don't have an android phone? I can't use those apps on this device?

I'm not really familiar with Google Play or whatever, so if that's a dumb question, I apologize.

You can use the application on your tablet. If it's not supported for whatever reason, possibly not. Right now the issue is finding those applications which are designed for the tablet specifically.

If you end up getting a phone, the purchase is linked to your Google Account. You should be able to re-download anything for any device where the application is supported.

tino

Banned
What if I just want to buy one of these to have a tablet and I don't have an android phone? I can't use those apps on this device?

I'm not really familiar with Google Play or whatever, so if that's a dumb question, I apologize.

You can borrow a tablet and tie to your acct just for a day and you should have a device . Not all contents are available to all device due to resolution requirement.

SimleuqiR

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/07/lucky-number-7/

Also absent are any software performance problems. Where the Fire and Nook suffer from unresponsiveness, slow animations and stuttering screens, the Nexus 7 screams. In fact, Google’s tablet responds as quickly and scrolls as smoothly as just about any tablet I’ve seen, no matter the size. It feels as fast as Asus’ larger Transformer tablets, and it performs as smoothly as the iPad, even when playing high definition games such as ShadowGun or playing back HD movies.

Izick

That's nice to hear. Sadly though, due to car troubles, that may run me up to half a grand, I might not be able to get a launch Nexus.

Man, I haven't been this excited for a piece of tech in a very very long time. I just want the browser to be on point. My Kindle Fire is fine for reading...but man...that browser is ass. Hopefully chrome is where it's at....

Did they set an official release date yes? 10 more days will be "Mid-July", lol...

I bought an application and don't have a device. REFUND GOOGLE
I bought an application and it doesn't work on my device. REFUND GOOGLE

See the pattern?

Technically it is the developer that has to refund the purchase and not google since the developer is the merchant on Google Play and not Google. It's different from Apple's approach.

Cipherr

http://9to5google.com/2012/07/05/review-7-days-with-the-199-nexus-7-serendipity/

Wrap up:

Something strange happened after the announcement and my initial review. An absurdly large number of people I talk to about technology went out and bought this device right after it was announced. I am not talking about Android fans or early adopters here—these are Apple fans in the Apple ecosystem, newbies to tablets, and people who generally do not care about technology. If the Kindle was a hit at $199, then this is going to blow that away. Apple fans curious about Android are snapping this up.

This thing is going to be big. Apple knows it and has already started alerting the press that it will build a 7-inch competitor. Amazon is expected to launch a competitor soon, as well. It will be interesting to see how these fare. But, for now, Google has a hit…if it can make enough of these and avoid any major catastrophes.

If it ends up being "big", I'm sure Google will flaunt the sell through numbers. Though, they don't make any money out of the hardware.

Ehh, is it their intent for it to be that 'big'? I'm sure they want to sell as many as they can, but is this not the same thing they did to get Android smartphones going? The Nexus program produces a phone/tablet as a sort of ground level 'Here's how you do it' and jump starts the product line, then the HW manufacturers have something to build on?

I mean until this device, Android tablets were sort of... ehh... But now developers have sort of a baseline to build on because of this. I always assumed this was more of a device to create a good starting point for the OS on tablets rather than them trying to make millions off of it. I thought thats why they were selling it so close to cost.

kehs

Banned
Ehh, is it their intent for it to be that 'big'? I'm sure they want to sell as many as they can, but is this not the same thing they did to get Android smartphones going? The Nexus program produces a phone/tablet as a sort of ground level 'Here's how you do it' and jump starts the product line, then the HW manufacturers have something to build on?

I mean until this device, Android tablets were sort of... ehh... But now developers have sort of a baseline to build on because of this. I always assumed this was more of a device to create a good starting point for the OS on tablets rather than them trying to make millions off of it. I thought thats why they were selling it so close to cost.

There's nothing special about the N7 in terms of OS or hardware. It' just one from Google. Tegra 3's are already out there (Prime). The "tablet" support has been there for over a year and a half now, including 7 inch support.

The biggest thing about it, is the marketing push they're giving it. It's entirely different approach from any other Nexus device.

Talon

There's nothing special about the N7 in terms of OS or hardware. It' just one from Google. Tegra 3's are already out there (Prime). The "tablet" support has been there for over a year and a half now, including 7 inch support.

The biggest thing about it, is the marketing push they're giving it. It's entirely different approach from any other Nexus device.
Doesn't matter if they aren't shipping this thing world wide before the end of 2012.

Pachimari

Can one import the Nexus 7 from America to Europe?

I'm very interested in this device but it'll take ages before it'll hit the UK online shops.

JordanKZ

Can one import the Nexus 7 from America to Europe?

I'm very interested in this device but it'll take ages before it'll hit the UK online shops.

Lol, not quite.
They're out this month in the UK. Many shops will be getting them in stock between the 20th and 30th.

adroit

Mine has stated 'complete' since ordering on the 28th but the charge thing sounds intriguing.
I've had an authorization hold on my credit card since I ordered it on the 27th. It was originally shown as:

Jun 27, 2012
Pending
GOOGLE *Devices
($270.62)

But now that hold has been replaced with this:

Jul 4, 2012
Pending
xxxx AUTHORIZATION ADJUSTMENT
($270.62)

Where "xxxx" is the name of my credit card company. Strange.

Complete and utter tablet/smartphone newbie here; JESUS CHRIST, GOOGLE WINS.

Those are my thoughts. I therefore predict with absolute uncertainty that this tablet will be revolutionary and usher in a new age of Google-Apple competition.

Izick

Those are my thoughts. I therefore predict with absolute uncertainty that this tablet will be revolutionary and usher in a new age of Google-Apple competition.

That's how I see it as well. It's cheap, it's beautiful, but most importantly it doesn't feel cheap, and it looks like a legit product unlike most other non-iPad tablets out there that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Cheebo

Banned

I can't wait for the Nexus 7 but the 7 inch iPad likely coming this fall that will be under 300 dollars will pretty much own the lower-end market, I mean I can't see even the most rabid Google fan seeing it being otherwise.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I can't wait for the Nexus 7 but the 7 inch iPad likely coming this fall that will be under 300 dollars will pretty much own the lower-end market, I mean I can't see even the most rabid Google fan seeing it being otherwise.
Again, I think it will be successful, even if Apple introduces their own low-cost tablet.

kehs

Banned

If Apple releases a 7" tablet, the company is Cooked.

Apple heads are going to find themselves in a sea of Apple devices and won't know what to do, begin to question themselves and everything they stand for, eventually bailing from the Apple lifestyle.

Cheebo

Banned
If Apple releases a 7" tablet, the company is Cooked.

Apple heads are going to find themselves in a sea of Apple devices and won't know what to do, begin to question themselves and everything they stand for, eventually bailing from the Apple lifestyle.
Just like having many different size iPods and MacBooks hurt the business? They always do this.

SimleuqiR

Just like having many different size iPods and MacBooks hurt the business? They always do this.

I think Coco's sarcastic point is that most Apple users do not see the advantages of things like a 7 inch tablet or a 4+ inch smart phone, until Apple makes them.

Izick

What incentive do I have to pick up a 7 inch ipad over the Nexus 7 though? I mean I don't use any of Apple's shit, nor do I want to. I think it might sell to a very select few people who are trapped in the Apple ecosystem, but can't fork out the dough for the highly priced iPad, so they go with that instead.

I'd rather have a solid tablet, that will definitely be cheaper, and can do all the shit I want it to do, and more. I guess if people really love Apple products, but haven't picked an iPad up for some reason, then there's that, but it just doesn't make sense to me really.

Cheebo

Banned
What incentive do I have to pick up a 7 inch ipad over the Nexus 7 though? I mean I don't use any of Apple's shit, nor do I want to. I think it might sell to a very select few people who are trapped in the Apple ecosystem, but can't fork out the dough for the highly priced iPad, so they go with that instead.

I'd rather have a solid tablet, that will definitely be cheaper, and can do all the shit I want it to do, and more. I guess if people really love Apple products, but haven't picked an iPad up for some reason, then there's that, but it just doesn't make sense to me really.

The tablet app scene on google play is still a ghost town, the app store is slightly different to put it lightly. The App Store has far better third party support.

Top Bottom