• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

kehs

Banned
Except there are requirements regarding the DPI grouping for running content in 'tablet mode'. Based on the screen size grouping, you then calculate the minimum physical resolution.

Sort of. The DPI groupings are for pulling assets, while the physical dimensions groupings are for setting layouts.

The actual resolution of the display is used for calculating the scale of the elements into DP but it doesn't have to be anything specific. It's why you can trick a phone into showing tablet layouts by changing the PPI profile.

Like the transformer tablets that have all elements the same size, but one with a 1200px tall screen(infinity) and one with an 800px tall screen(prime).

So I'm the bad guy here?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vyer

As far as GameStop goes, it really could go either way. Even the game systems seem to get varied attention depending on the location.

Raistlin

Sort of. The DPI groupings are for pulling assets, while the physical dimensions groupings are for setting layouts.

The actual resolution of the display is used for calculating the scale of the elements into DP but it doesn't have to be anything specific. It's why you can trick a phone into showing tablet layouts by changing the PPI profile.

Like the transformer tablets that have all elements the same size, but one with a 1200px tall screen(infinity) and one with an 800px tall screen(prime).

I understand how it works. Of course it can be hacked, that's not the point. Are you honestly arguing Google would license their services if an OEM was doing that though?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Never gets old

Only thing I don't like about this is that there's no 4G. I can live without the storage but what am I going to do on those long ass bus rides without an internet connection :(

TeegsD

So from what I'm hearing is that Staples is planning on delivering the tablets by the 13th at the earliest. If so, that is great news. I wasn't expecting it for another week.

Izick

I'm confused. Is Staples allegedly taking pre-orders for the N7, or are they allegedly going to have the N7, meaning I could, in theory, go to the store on release day and pick one up?

Izick

Hmm, I wonder if I can order from Staples, and then just have it delivered to their store right by me? Would be getting free shipping as well if I did that. I just want to know when the fuck I'd get it though.

Salaadin

Was in Gamestop today and they have signs all over. Preorder the N7, get +30% on all trade ins towards it. You also still get Transformers and the 25.00 in Play credit.
Im tempted to cancel my preorder and get from there but Im not sure if theyll have it on release day :(

Emily Chu

Banned
Was in Gamestop today and they have signs all over. Preorder the N7, get +30% on all trade ins towards it. You also still get Transformers and the 25.00 in Play credit.
Im tempted to cancel my preorder and get from there but Im not sure if theyll have it on release day :(

when the hell is release day ?

adroit

Hmmm. It's back on the US Staples web site again. The original URL someone posted days ago had stopped working. But it's back at a new URL now:

http://www.staples.com/Nexus-7-/product_949984

I don't work at Staples and have no clue whether they're actually going to have it or not.

Pre-order your Nexus 7 by July 10th, 2012 to reserve one of these limited quantity tablets. Product will ship between July 12th and July 17th. Expected delivery: 1 - 3 business days, arriving no earlier than July 13th 2012. Your credit card will be charged at shipment.
Buy the new tablet from Google and get $25 credit to spend on Google Play, as well as some great free content, including your own copy of Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Izick

Shit, that means I have till Tuesday to pre-order this thing, and I might not even have to pay for shipping! All hail Staples!

Emily Chu

Banned
called up my local brooklyn Gamestop

they said first shipment will arrive first week of August

August 10th....

there taking pre-orders.

Staples is planning on having the tablets be in houses by the 13th or the following week. Staples online shipping is also free, both to house and to store.

We will have them on display within 3 months based on store

Izick

Staples it is then.

So, this is from a while back, but I remember people complaining about the cover accessory thingy compared to the iPad's. What the hell kind of featurs does a cover supposed have?

Emily Chu

Banned
Staples it is then.

So, this is from a while back, but I remember people complaining about the cover accessory thingy compared to the iPad's. What the hell kind of featurs does a cover supposed have?

prevents damage in a backpack ?

thats all I can think of

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Have a Galaxy Nexus coming in on Monday but still tempted to pick one up. I was barely able to convince the wife on the phone. Don't know how I can with the tablet. Maybe if pinterest release an app it could sway her.

Izick

prevents damage in a backpack ?

thats all I can think of

Exactly.

The posts in question:

Upcoming covers from Asus.

jV7tQ22SNq2rX.jpg

haha tell me about it.. No features

Sanjuro

I'm going to use it nude most likely. If you guys want a nice,cheap, and professional looking folio cover, I'd check out if Targus makes anything for 7".

Izick

I'm going use it without anything on it as well most likely, but I thought it was a silly complaint. Not to mention the "features" thing confused me.

Cheebo

Banned
I'm going use it without anything on it as well most likely, but I thought it was a silly complaint. Not to mention the "features" thing confused me.
It has no magnetic lock like the smart covers for iPad have (it locks onto the screen and can auto put it to sleep and wake it up). That is the features being referred to.

Eusis

It has no magnetic lock like the smart covers for iPad have (it locks onto the screen and can auto put it to sleep and wake it up). That is the features being referred to.
Here I was thinking of the Surface's keyboard and trackpad, but to be honest that probably is most sensible in a Windows x86 tablet anyway.

Cheebo

Banned
It's not magical enough.

Eh? There is nothing to mock about the smart cover tech. It is pretty damn useful, MS is using similar tech in the Surface for a reason.

And I would get some sort of screen cover for the Nexus 7. It's what I plan to do. While the screen is covered in a corning glass it is not gorilla glass as per the tear downs, it is something of cheaper build and more susceptible to cracks.

Izick

I just watched a review for the smart covers. 40 and 70 bucks!? Holy fuck! That would be dumb as fuck to charge for on something like the N7, where they're trying to go for reasonable prices, so a 20$ cover without having a stand gimmick is perfectly fine. Is waking up the tablet by ripping off the cover really that big of a deal? That's not worth double, or nearly triple for me.

EDIT: The "Smart" cover doesn't even protect the back? Oh my.

Izick

As for the design of the cover on the Nexus 7. I think it looks great. It is a simple cover with a simple design. If it's 20$ or under, I may even consider one just in case.

rozay

Banned
the official cases are ugly but will probably be cheap, I mean it is exactly what it looks like and you either find it useful or you don't

be classy and get something with leather! though none of these are cases that you can use the tablet directly inside, Waterfield designs makes some really nice sleeves: http://sfbags.com/products/tablet-cases/sleevecases-tablet.php expensive, but great quality and made in San Francisco.

Salaadin

That's a battery life tester's dream: turn the volume and brightness up, press play, stuff it between two couch cushions, and go do something else for two and a half hours.

LOL

Since comic reading is one of the main reasons Im getting this, Im wondering if there are any comic readers that will remove the android soft keys in favor of more screen space in portait mode? They dont take up too much space but Ill take anything I can get.

Top Bottom