• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Chorazin

ComicRack is still second. If you have Windows, it makes it a bit nicer.

Perfect Viewer as a standalone application still functions much better.

My favorite comic app on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 is Komik. Works great and the only problem I have is after reading a lot of comics (10 or more in a row), I usually have to do a force close and then reopen it. It remembers where I stopped so it's a quick trip back to where I left off, so it's not as big of a deal as it would seem. I would think this might be something HC related that should work better in JB.

Izick

I'm a bit confused by the wording with the Staples pre-order thing; so if I pre-order tomorrow, should I still get my N7 as early as possible, or does it have to be tonight?

th3dude

I'm hearing (on reddit) that some folks are seeing their credit cards being charged now. Shipping imminent?

I checked my credit card and the charge isn't pending anymore. It is also not listed as a complete charge either. May be in the process of charging? Would make sense since 4.1 dropped to AOSP today.

Blackhead

Redarse
My favorite comic app on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 is Komik. Works great and the only problem I have is after reading a lot of comics (10 or more in a row), I usually have to do a force close and then reopen it. It remembers where I stopped so it's a quick trip back to where I left off, so it's not as big of a deal as it would seem. I would think this might be something HC related that should work better in JB.

I second Komik and also recommend Comic Reader Mobi

AZ Greg

Any new word on the ghosting/image retention problem?

From AndroidPolice:

We've received a response from ASUS that they're unable to replicate the problem on production units (I/O units are, technically, pre-production), so this may have been sorted out in time for the initial consumer run. It appears, then, that this problem is at least affecting only some units.

Could just be PR spin, hopefully not.

Izick

Damn. If Google did add that SDcard slot I think the internet geeks would definitely call this the "God Tablet".

Mmmh...Them freckles <3

IMG_20120708_202507.jpg

Who is that?

Hey guys. Do you know if there's any way I can buy this online from the UK and have it shipped to mainland Europe? I've checked Ebuyer, Comet and some other UK sites which are supposed to carry it but it seems none of them ship outside the UK :(

Izick

I hope this Bourne book comes with the thing. Not only because it will be a free book that's likely good, but also it will be a nice test to see if I'm going to like reading on this more than just a book or not. I want pick up the third Darth Bane book (sue me, I like some of the Star Wars books) and I see it's on there so that's good.

Interestingly the Google Play page now states shipping in 1 - 2 weeks as opposed to 2-3 weeks. Bit odd that it didn't change last Wednesday seeing as a week had passed, I sure hope that all this talk of them shipping this week isn't manufactured.

Cheebo

Banned
I hope this Bourne book comes with the thing. Not only because it will be a free book that's likely good, but also it will be a nice test to see if I'm going to like reading on this more than just a book or not. I want pick up the third Darth Bane book (sue me, I like some of the Star Wars books) and I see it's on there so that's good.

If you are going to read on this use the Kindle app, it has a way larger selection of books (and usually for cheaper).

And I'd say the Bourne books after Ludlum died are pretty bad.

Rahul

I've been using my Google IO Nexus 7 (with the awesome white back!) for two weeks now and I have to say the reviews all do it justice. It's unbelievable how great this thing is for the price they're selling it at. If I hadn't gotten this for free I'd go out and buy one as soon as it's released.

It feels like an iPad in terms of that elegant, solid feel to the hardware and stability of the OS, except it has awesome Google stuff (account integration, Now, Maps, etc) that I love. True, in Europe the media features are a bit useless since there's no real Play store here, but I don't care because it's the best reading tool I have now.

Also, Chrome Sync across devices is so unbelievably useful. There's been a number of times I've wanted to load a website - such as a GAF thread - that I read on my pc on this thing and to get it autocompleted in the omnibar and then just have a moment of disbelief at how convenient that is has been great every time.

DagsJT

I've been using my Google IO Nexus 7 (with the awesome white back!) for two weeks now and I have to say the reviews all do it justice. It's unbelievable how great this thing is for the price they're selling it at. If I hadn't gotten this for free I'd go out and buy one as soon as it's released.

It feels like an iPad in terms of that elegant, solid feel to the hardware and stability of the OS, except it has awesome Google stuff (account integration, Now, Maps, etc) that I love. True, in Europe the media features are a bit useless since there's no real Play store here, but I don't care because it's the best reading tool I have now.

Also, Chrome Sync across devices is so unbelievably useful. There's been a number of times I've wanted to load a website - such as a GAF thread - that I read on my pc on this thing and to get it autocompleted in the omnibar and then just have a moment of disbelief at how convenient that is has been great every time.

Edit: Nevermind.

I really like the Nexus 7 but my 2 issues with it is the small size and lack expandable storage.

Is there a Nexus equivalent out or on the horizon with similar specs as the Nexus 7 but with a bigger screen and additional storage and Stock ICS/Jelly Bean?

JordanKZ

I really like the Nexus 7 but my 2 issues with it is the small size and lack expandable storage.

Is there a Nexus equivalent out or on the horizon with similar specs as the Nexus 7 but with a bigger screen and additional storage and Stock ICS/Jelly Bean?

Nexus 10 has been rumoured for some time now.

Owzers

As far as size goes, i'm hoping that comic reading is still enjoyable on a 7'' screen coming from a 10'' touchpad. I won't miss the weight/bulk/poor build quality of the touchpad though. Feels like whenever i handle the thing it's going to snap yet it's still heavy.

TxdoHawk

Nexus 10 has been rumoured for some time now.

The only thing is, assuming it exists, it still won't have expandable storage. Google has argued against the practice, and as a result Nexus devices intentionally omit such things.

As far as size goes, i'm hoping that comic reading is still enjoyable on a 7'' screen coming from a 10'' touchpad.

I have my doubts. Manga might be tolerable, but I'd imagine you'd have to do a lot of zooming and panning on the bigger pages most other comics come in.

Edit: Only semi thread-related...I bought one of those Q's I/O devs are pitching on Ebay, came to $190 shipped. Wondering if I should start a thread, half OT and half general experiences with the device.

Salaadin

I really wish theyd announce the release date already. All these Kindle Fire 2 rumors are making me second guess my Nexus 7 preorder.

DagsJT

I really wish theyd announce the release date already. All these Kindle Fire 2 rumors are making me second guess my Nexus 7 preorder.

A number of people seem to be suggesting shipping will be this week. With the Nexus 7 image also being released, apparently it's Google's policy of shipping the new devices a couple of days after the image is released.

Not too sure on the Kindle Fire 2. I read that the KF1 was really limited with what you could do whereas the Nexus 7 isn't really locked down to specific stores or apps.

Owzers

I have my doubts. Manga might be tolerable, but I'd imagine you'd have to do a lot of zooming and panning on the bigger pages most other comics come in.

Edit: Only semi thread-related...I bought one of those Q's I/O devs are pitching on Ebay, came to $190 shipped. Wondering if I should start a thread, half OT and half general experiences with the device.

Comixology needs to rip off MDCU and have Single Page easy scrolling instead of just smart panels.

Given Amazon's track record, I would not bet on the Fire 2 being better than this.

The hardware might be on par (at least spec-wise; probably not the aesthetics) but the OS will probably be a shitty reskin of Honeycomb or something.

Lexxon

Wow, selling well under retail before it even hits retail.

The Q is a really odd device. It just seems like, in a world where Apple TV and Roku can do a lot for under $100, the Q seems extremely limited in comparison. Google can't be expecting to sell many of these...it's likely more of an experiment, maybe even to see what hackers do with it, to give them ideas for future models.

Blackhead

Redarse
I think it's harder to justify the lack of storage on a 10" tablet, since they tend to be designed with productivity in mind and not just media consumption.

Well, harder to justify to me, at least.
The lack of storage or lack of expandable storage? A Nexus 10 tablet is unlikely to have only 8GB in the base model.

Zabka

As far as size goes, i'm hoping that comic reading is still enjoyable on a 7'' screen coming from a 10'' touchpad. I won't miss the weight/bulk/poor build quality of the touchpad though. Feels like whenever i handle the thing it's going to snap yet it's still heavy.

If the resolution is high enough single-pages should be fine.

Salaadin

I tried some comics out on my Galaxy Nexus and they were actually readable but with a little eye strain. Makes me feel better about reading them on the Nexus 7. They should be fine.

Not too sure on the Kindle Fire 2. I read that the KF1 was really limited with what you could do whereas the Nexus 7 isn't really locked down to specific stores or apps.

Yeah, thats a big plus for me and one of the reasons why I havent cancelled my preorder yet.

I preordered on Friday. They charged my card twice but the transaction was never finalized and just hung out in "Pending" for a few days. Now its completely gone.

The lack of storage or lack of expandable storage? A Nexus 10 tablet is unlikely to have only 8GB in the base model.

Either, really. Either give me 64 GB or 8 GB with an SD slot.

If Nexus 10 only has 8/16 GB on board but an SD slot for expansion, that's completely fine with me. But I should definitely be given access to a substantial amount of storage on a 10" tablet.

Blackhead

Redarse
Either, really. Either give me 64 GB or 8 GB with an SD slot.

If Nexus 10 only has 8/16 GB on board but an SD slot for expansion, that's completely fine with me. But I should definitely be given access to a substantial amount of storage on a 10" tablet.

Well 16GB is 'enough' for a 'productivity' tablet and that's the storage size of the best selling models for the market leading 'productivity' tablet. I personally feel that if a tablet is going to be laptop/desktop replacement (for media consumption, productivity or whatever use cases) then even 64GB would be too small.

Eusis

Yeah, I'd only bother with waiting on the Kindle Fire 2 at this point if you have a lot invested in the Kindle store, since the Kindle App doesn't seem to be optimized for non-Kindle 7-inch tablets. Even then though outside of color picture stuff (which I guess COULD work fine on the Nexus 7 anyway) it'd probably be better just to get a separate Kindle e-ink reader. That'd also cover the lending library angle if you have Prime, and it seems more and more devices can just stream Amazon Instant Video now.

What's reading in daylight like on a tablet? I have a Nook Touch and obviously that's great but if I were to get a Nexus 7 it would be more convenient to do my reading and browsing on the one device.

Somnid

Given Amazon's track record, I would not bet on the Fire 2 being better than this.

The hardware might be on par (at least spec-wise; probably not the aesthetics) but the OS will probably be a shitty reskin of Honeycomb or something.

I don't know, I have the feeling Amazon has been investing a lot in their OS fork especially considering recent acquisitions but either way I doubt anyone would have trouble running JB on a Kindle Fire 2 if it's like the first. One thing that perked my ears was that KF2 is rumored to have a metal body. Nexus 7 is plastic right?

The main problem with the Kindle Fire was it was rushed to meet the holidays and probably wasn't designed in-house by Lab 126.

I can't in good faith put money down for anything quite yet. This is going to get real interesting.

We should be able to copy amazon's content over, correct?

Aren't their programs using .apk files?

Amazon's store was originally just a plain old Android store. Anything you buy from them should work on Android.

Top Bottom