• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

dwebo

that ars review confirms the ghosting

A few days after the Nexus 7 hit developers' hands, a number of outlets reported that the tablet has problems with ghosting. Bringing up an image and letting it set on the screen for a couple of minutes would leave an impression of the image on the screen for up to a few minutes after the user has navigated away. We were able to recreate the problem, and found high-contrast images were particularly susceptible to imprinting ghosts on the screen.

However, the more we tried to recreate it, the faster the effect seemed to fade after we navigated away from the ghosted image. Eventually it was fading in a matter of seconds. The problem seems to be related to whether the screen is warmed up or not—if the tablet hasn't been recently used, an idle image will remain ghosted on the display for at least a couple of minutes, even as users continually change what the screen is showing. But once it's been on for a while—even if the image is left up for up to ten minutes—the ghost fades in a couple of seconds. There definitely is a problem, but it doesn't strike us as serious. That's as long as it doesn't, for instance, get worse as the tablet gets older.

So wait does the staples pre order get the 25 dollar credit as well and has free shipping?
everybody's getting it, and google hasn't said when the promotion ends

kehs

Banned
LOL

Since comic reading is one of the main reasons Im getting this, Im wondering if there are any comic readers that will remove the android soft keys in favor of more screen space in portait mode? They dont take up too much space but Ill take anything I can get.

Without root you probably won't be able to.

That said, just root it when you get it.

Got 177 in credit so far turning in some games...Apparently GS was adding 50% to trade ins...so it was a good deal.

Was trying not to trade in the ps3 but since I haven't turned it on in about six months and I don't feel like spending any money I think I'm gonna get rid of it...

hope I get it before 8/11 as I have a flight and it would be a great new toy to have for the trip.

Got 177 in credit so far turning in some games...Apparently GS was adding 50% to trade ins...so it was a good deal.

Was trying not to trade in the ps3 but since I haven't turned it on in about six months and I don't feel like spending any money I think I'm gonna get rid of it...

hope I get it before 8/11 as I have a flight and it would be a great new toy to have for the trip.

How many/ what games did you trade in?

Just bought it at Google.com. What a pain in the ass. i had to sign up for a Google Wallet account. Then my credit card declined the charge as fraud. Fixed all that, now I'm all set. Went with the 8GB since I'm getting it mostly for dev testing.

dwebo

debating whether I should order at google or staples as a backup for j&r

can't believe it still says 2-3 weeks on the google play store while staples can seemingly guarantee shipping before the 17th

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm glad, it would be hard to maintain and improve upon if you're losing money on a product.

They are almost definitely losing money on it. Putting the parts together (the actual manufacturing part), stocking it, and promoting it most likely add up to being much more than $16. They said they're selling it at cost on Google Play, too, but I think that's a pretty way to say they're taking a slight loss on each unit.

DagsJT

I thought it didn't have a proper horizontal UI though.

Not out of the box, but a small hack fixes that.

I've read that the Tablet UI locks you out of certain apps in the market though, due to the app thinking your device isn't compatible because you've changed the DPI.

Izick

I personally couldn't care less about the lack of a horizontal UI, but I recall that being a minor sticking point for some.

Owzers

staples/gamestop don't seem to be selling the 8GB version, are they are going start offering it or is it a google play store exclusive?

Owzers

It seems Google Play is the only one selling the 8GB & 16GB models. Retailers are only getting the 16GB models.

i've been checking around and that seems to be the case sadly, maybe it's just for launch, or maybe because the profit margin is lower for the 8GB and stores don't want to carry it. I hope they carry it later, i'd like to get it from a place with a decent return policy and free shipping than from Google Play. This is going to be a comic reading device so i don't think i need 16GB of storage and i want to spend as little as possible.

Either way, i think i'll be waiting until Amazon announces Kindle Fire 2 to compare/contrast before buying, even if that means no $25 google play voucher. Everyone's saying they should be announcing it sooooooon soon.

EDIT: Read an article saying Staples would sell both versions but the 16GB is the only one up so far

i've been checking around and that seems to be the case sadly, maybe it's just for launch, or maybe because the profit margin is lower for the 8GB and stores don't want to carry it. I hope they carry it later, i'd like to get it from a place with a decent return policy and free shipping than from Google Play. This is going to be a comic reading device so i don't think i need 16GB of storage and i want to spend as little as possible.

Either way, i think i'll be waiting until Amazon announces Kindle Fire 2 to compare/contrast before buying, even if that means no $25 google play voucher. Everyone's saying they should be announcing it sooooooon soon.

EDIT: Read an article saying Staples would sell both versions but the 16GB is the only one up so far

Weird, there was an engadget article that stated the 8gb was exclusive to the play store.
[source]

This waiting is killing me, I think I'd rest far easier if I knew a fixed date.

Owzers

Weird, there was an engadget article that stated the 8gb was exclusive to the play store.
[source]

This waiting is killing me, I think I'd rest far easier if I knew a fixed date.

i chatted with the Staples website service and they said that pre-sales will be for 16GB but later they'll carry the 8GB, in about 2-3 weeks after the 16GBs are shipping.

other question..are the $25 google play credits only for pre-sales or for the whole first run etc.

i chatted with the Staples website service and they said that pre-sales will be for 16GB but later they'll carry the 8GB, in about 2-3 weeks after the 16GBs are shipping.

other question..are the $25 google play credits only for pre-sales or for the whole first run etc.

Everything I've read on the XDA forums etc seems to imply that the credit is automatically added to the first account that gets activated on the device. It will show as a separate payment method when completing transactions. Therefore I'd imagine it's on all devices, which is infuriating given that I paid £9.99 postage from the Play store.

SimleuqiR

The specs, design, and cost all make the Nexus 7 seem like the Holy Grail of tablets. As we'll show later, it can even keep pace with the (significantly more expensive) iPads in many respects. It's great. Suspiciously great. Suddenly we have everything we want (well, close to it), for less money than we probably would have paid for it. Selling hardware cheap—in hopes that more money can be made elsewhere—is not a new game. But the Nexus 7 suggests Google is going to play that game harder and better than we've seen in a long time.

Damn. If Google did add that SDcard slot I think the internet geeks would definitely call this the "God Tablet".

Mmmh...Them freckles <3

IMG_20120708_202507.jpg

We're relieved to find that much of the camera's terribleness is the result of the video chat/Skype environment. On its own, the camera is merely your average, barely-passable 1.2-megapixel camera, but outside video chatting it can at least make out freckles.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
StickMount, an app that allows USB drives to be properly mounted, has been updated to work with Jelly Bean, therefore the Nexus 7. Didn't took long to fix the issue.

kehs

Banned
StickMount, an app that allows USB drives to be properly mounted, has been updated to work with Jelly Bean, therefore the Nexus 7. Didn't took long to fix the issue.

If only Google wasn't so lazy and included it in the first place.

Cartman86

Banned
Damn. If Google did add that SDcard slot I think the internet geeks would definitely call this the "God Tablet".

Mmmh...Them freckles <3

IMG_20120708_202507.jpg

lol I was waiting for this.

LOL

Since comic reading is one of the main reasons Im getting this, Im wondering if there are any comic readers that will remove the android soft keys in favor of more screen space in portait mode? They dont take up too much space but Ill take anything I can get.

The Youtube and MX Video Player apps do it so I see no reason why a comic one couldn't. I don't know of any though.

kehs

Banned
On some podcast they said that Google's excuse was they could have done it but there is no good interface for it since they don't want a file explorer.

They could always build one, I think Google dabbles in software sometimes, I'm sure they could scrounge up a couple of developers.

Then again, they're probably waiting to steal one from Metro.

Cartman86

Banned
make sure to post your findings if you notice one is the best by a notable amount. And yeah I know not to expect anything as slick as Zeal :(

Update on this. Other than Perfect Viewer ComicRack seems to be the best. Don't have a tablet yet to test that part myself, but others say it's the best. The payed version support syncing with your desktop through WiFi too. That includes ratings, bookmarks etc. It is a little expensive though. On my phone it's quite smooth. It uses more modern Android design convensions, has a nice simple library feature, transitions animate nice and I like the auto landscape for double pages.

Salaadin

Looking at the comixology app, i see that purchases are done through google play. I hope this means that i can use that 25 dollar credit on comics.

Top Bottom