• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
People are really considering the Kindle Fire 2? From all rumors it sounds like it's going to launch in October yet still not outdo the Nexus 7 (same 1280x800 screen I've heard, and similar internals most likely.) Maybe it'll have more internal storage and a couple more ports? Is that worth waiting five months for?

They'll probably price it at like $250-300 as well... and it'll be choppy as crap just like the Kindle Fire 1.0 (or should I say, 0.1?) Skinned Android 2.3 with no Google Play access... oh goody.

The Nexus 7 is the start of Android on tablets' domination, like the original Motorola Droid was for Android smartphones. Make no mistake, you're going to be missing a ton of Android tablet app greatness if you go with something as closed off as the Fire.

TxdoHawk

The Q is a really odd device. It just seems like, in a world where Apple TV and Roku can do a lot for under $100, the Q seems extremely limited in comparison. Google can't be expecting to sell many of these...it's likely more of an experiment, maybe even to see what hackers do with it, to give them ideas for future models.

It's pretty bizarre, that's for sure. Apparently a large chunk of the cost comes from the amp + custom power supply. I'm eager to see what the thing can kick out, but it seems wasteful to include an amp, then encourage users to hook the Q up to their TV, where they'll either use the TV speakers or whatever sound system is hooked to said TV. They should've considered a second $199 no-amp model, IMO.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy to snag one for the price I paid, now I simply wait for Google or the dev team to expand its functionality. (And for the thing to actually get here...seller shipped Parcel Post, ugh. I would've paid the extra buck or two for First Class or Priority...)

Cheebo

Banned
People are really considering the Kindle Fire 2? From all rumors it sounds like it's going to launch in October yet still not outdo the Nexus 7 (same 1280x800 screen I've heard, and similar internals most likely.) Maybe it'll have more internal storage and a couple more ports? Is that worth waiting five months for?

They'll probably price it at like $250-300 as well... and it'll be choppy as crap just like the Kindle Fire 1.0 (or should I say, 0.1?) Skinned Android 2.3 with no Google Play access... oh goody.

The Nexus 7 is the start of Android on tablets' domination, like the original Motorola Droid was for Android smartphones. Make no mistake, you're going to be missing a ton of Android tablet app greatness if you go with something as closed off as the Fire.
It is not going to cost 250-300. That is crazy. It will be 200 still. Amazon is the best at low prices. They lower the kindle pricing every year after all.

Some people just prefer Amazons brand and ecosystem to Google, it makes sense. Remember the kindle reading app on kindle fire has more features than on android/iOS. And instant video is exclusive to fire. The apk for it won't even work on Jelly Bean.

I am getting the nexus but there are plenty of reasons to go with Amazon.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I just preordered two 16GB versions from Gamestop for my twin daughters. My question is what kind of a warranty is Google offering with this as a manufacturers warranty? Sorry if this has been covered previously.

Row

Banned
probably a longshot but anyone here in korea who's going to ty and buy one here? have no clue on the pricing, release date, or where it'll be sold

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It is not going to cost 250-300. That is crazy. It will be 200 still. Amazon is the best at low prices. They lower the kindle pricing every year after all.

Some people just prefer Amazons brand and ecosystem to Google, it makes sense. Remember the kindle reading app on kindle fire has more features than on android/iOS. And instant video is exclusive to fire. The apk for it won't even work on Jelly Bean.

I am getting the nexus but there are plenty of reasons to go with Amazon.

Plenty of reasons if you're a dope, maybe.

Lots of people want access to amazon content. I mean just about everything on the play store like magazines/movies/tv shows/music won't be available to anyone outside america.

As a canadian I don't care because I don't play to buy that stuff from google anyway, but it stinks. I have no idea of amazons accessibility wordlwide though.

Blackhead

Redarse
Lots of people want access to amazon content. I mean just about everything on the play store like magazines/movies/tv shows/music won't be available to anyone outside america.

As a canadian I don't care because I don't play to buy that stuff from google anyway, but it stinks. I have no idea of amazons accessibility wordlwide though.

Amazon fire is US only. Nexus 7 is already international

Salaadin

My whole reasoning isnt because of Amazon vs Google....its really only hardware. What if Amazon were to release a reasonably priced and speced tablet that is equal to or better than the Nexus 7?

Besides, wouldnt you just be able to install Jellybean on a Kindle Fire 2 anyways? My friend has ICS on his Fire.

Amazon fire is US only. Nexus 7 is already international
so basically it's just UK and for some reason Canada being snubbed by google. INTERESTING.

My whole reasoning isnt because of Amazon vs Google....its really only hardware. What if Amazon were to release a reasonably priced and speced tablet that is equal to or better than the Nexus 7?

Besides, wouldnt you just be able to install Jellybean on a Kindle Fire 2 anyways? My friend has ICS on his Fire.
impossible because it won't have stock android, it'll be that bullshit amazon skin, which sucks compared to jellybean by default. Rooting doesn't count.

TxdoHawk

Roughly equivalent, maybe, but I don't see Amazon trumping the Nexus 7. The Fire is even more tailored to content consumption than the 7 is, Amazon is likely to make the kinds of choices that favor cost over power, so that they can keep the entry price low. Would not be remotely shocked if Amazon is now trying to figure out a $175 Fire that still appeals to their market.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Roughly equivalent, maybe, but I don't see Amazon trumping the Nexus 7. The Fire is even more tailored to content consumption than the 7 is, Amazon is likely to make the kinds of choices that favor cost over power, so that they can keep the entry price low. Would not be remotely shocked if Amazon is now trying to figure out a $175 Fire that still appeals to their market.

Pshhh, with their skin on there they can go to a $100-$125 ad subsidized tablet with similar specs to the N7. That will really set the fire under the tablet wars. With color and video ads will fetch far more than the static ads on the Kindle allowing them much more subsidy room.

Pachimari

I finally found a (British?) online retailer who sells Galaxy Nexus in eBuyer.com but it turns out they don't ship outside the country. I guess it's not possible to get a Galaxy Nexus. =/

Somnid

There's a lot of rumors we'll have to see which ones come true but considering the multiple sources they are looking more true by the day.

Current rumors:

-CPU is supposedly quad core (probably the same Tegra 3 SoC as N7).
-New Kindles will have metal body.
-Some models might have HDMI out.
-There might be as many as 4 models.

600x1024 screen and no camera
800x1280 screen with camera
800x1280 screen with camera and 4G
1920x1080 8.9" model

The first 2 are for August production (speculatively to launch on the 7th) and are to be announce on the 31st of July. The 4G model is rumored for September release and the 8.9" is Q4.

I think it's prudent for most to wait 20 days just to see how it turns out. Especially given there might be a variety of offerings that might better fit people's use scenarios. And ICS can be put on a Fire so I don't see why JB couldn't be put on a Fire2 if that's what you really want.

Also they opened up their App Store to international apps meaning they might be positioning a more global release too.

Pachimari

Oh, just registered at HMV and it turns out they don't ship the Nexus 7 outside the UK as well, eBuyer didn't either. Guess, I really am, out of luck. They'll never get it here in the Nordics and if they did, it'll be in some months when we're close to iPad Mini anyway.

If just somebody shipped internationally..

giga

I really wish theyd announce the release date already. All these Kindle Fire 2 rumors are making me second guess my Nexus 7 preorder.
The Fire 2 will have similar specs--so you shouldn't be worried about having inferior hardware. Even if its slightly inferior, it's not like the N7 is a slouch.

As for software, it won't be based on Jelly Bean and you won't get any Google Apps like Now, Maps, Chrome, Gmail, and so on. You'll be shoehorned onto their inferior Appstore instead of the Play Store. Not only are there less quality apps in there, but some of the apps that they do have are outdated.

The only compelling reason I can think of to get the supposed Fire 2 is if your limbs are literally attached to their Instant Video service. Amazon doesn't provide an instant video app to any competing mobile devices, unlike Kindle and Amazon MP3.

---

As for international availability, it's not great on either platform honestly.

Google Play

Music: US only
TV purchases: US only
Movie purchases: US only
Movie rentals: US, UK, Australia, Canada, France, Japan, Spain.
Books: Australia, Canada, Spain, Germany, Italy, UK, US
Magazines: US only

Amazon

MP3: US, UK, Germany, France, Austria, Switzerland, Japan
Instant Video (Movie, TV): US only
Kindle Store (Books, Magazines): Almost everywhere

Amazon MP3 and Kindle can be installed on the N7. So really this goes back to just Instant Video for US customers. International customers wanting movies and tv shows aren't better off on either platform.

If you want to compare it to iTunes: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3599

Blah. Went from not giving a rat's about Nexus 7 last night to ordering one this afternoon. Damn GAF hivemind :/
Hope I made a good choice, what with the glut of tablets on the horizon and a potential iPad mini :l

JordanKZ

Me thinks that the dispatch date will be next week...

My problem is, I'm on holiday starting the 21st. I called Google today (after being on hold for 40 minutes) and asked to change my delivery address. And despite the fact that nothing has been shipped yet, they wouldn't let me change the date to my work address or a family member.

He just told me to contact the courier when they first get the package and they "might" be able to do something.

Utter joke.

Izick

Fuck. I wish I had more money, but I'm not sure when my paycheck is coming....fuck. If I order through Staples, is there an option to pay in person when it arrives, or does it have to be over online? Also, for people who ordered at Staples, is it charged as soon as possible, or are people still waiting to be charged?

EDIT: Also this is an absolute fucking joke that there is still no release date. Almost makes me just want to hold off on it all together.

th3dude

Me thinks that the dispatch date will be next week...

My problem is, I'm on holiday starting the 21st. I called Google today (after being on hold for 40 minutes) and asked to change my delivery address. And despite the fact that nothing has been shipped yet, they wouldn't let me change the date to my work address or a family member.

He just told me to contact the courier when they first get the package and they "might" be able to do something.

Utter joke.

I've found Google's support to be just about worthless.

That combined with the fact that we can't change details on orders that haven't even shipped yet is sad.

e_i

When I get mine, I'll put up some videos comparing video playback between this and the new iPad. I guess this can play 1080p mkvs with softsubs. The new iPad can...sort of. This will be my sixth tablet:

Smartq 7 (piece of junk. It died on me)
Archos 9 (Windows 7 tablet--meh. Archos blows)
iPad (screen broke)
Viewsonic G-tab (running TnT Lite 4.22--fast but crashtastic)
Kindle Fire (great--except for so-so crashy web browsing and the limited App store)

Only the iPad and the Fire have impressed me.

How much more powerful is the new Ipad compared to this?

The Ars article compares it to the 2 and 3. They were pretty shocked by how well the Nexus 7 holds up even against them. It seems to be about on par with both the 2 and 3 in many measurements. Felt a lot better about jumping on the N7 after reading the Ars review. It really does seem too good to be true

Izick

Fuck. I really want this thing. For anyone who's ordered at staples, can you help me out on this?

Fuck. I wish I had more money, but I'm not sure when my paycheck is coming....fuck. If I order through Staples, is there an option to pay in person when it arrives, or does it have to be over online? Also, for people who ordered at Staples, is it charged as soon as possible, or are people still waiting to be charged?

NawidA

Banned
How much more powerful is the new Ipad compared to this?
It compares pretty well. Not as much of a graphics beast as the iPads though. Though remember, the iPad 3's better graphics is just pretty much taking care of the retina screen. So the best comparison is the iPad 2.

Software is really the main concern on this thing.

Sanjuro

Fuck. I really want this thing. For anyone who's ordered at staples, can you help me out on this?

No clue. You can place orders over the phone with Staples. They should be able to tell you the run down. They are one of the few companies which calling over the phone works nicely with. Often you can combine coupons and price match like a boss.

My guess, they charge you asap.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
iPad 3 is significantly more powerful, but it has a significantly higher resolution meaning that's what the system is using those resources for, usually. Is sometimes performs worse than even the iPad 2 for that reason.

Nexus_7_benches_LINPACK.png

(bigger is better)

Nexus_7_benches_Sunspider2.png

(shorter is better)

Nexus_7_benche_GL.png

(bigger is better)

Nexus_7_benches_Geekbench.png

(bigger is better)

Source: Ars Technica

Izick

I ordered from Staples. What do you need?

Check out the post below:

Me said:

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yea but most of the Google services are not available to us.

Blame the media companies. As giga posted, it's not much better on Amazon's end, especially since you can get an Amazon MP3 app on Android anyways.

Blackhead

Redarse
There are services that reship stuff for people who live outside the USA and want to buy items only available there. Is there anything similar for the UK?

galdevo

Didn't order one cuz I'll be traveling to Manila on the launch day, and I doubt they will be available there. My only hope is to find one at either the Washington Airport or the Incheon Korea airport on my way there.

Panda Rin

It looks like some Gamestops are receiving their shipments of Nexus 7s and having customers pick them up on July 12th as evidenced by some people on other forums. Call your gamestops to see if they got theirs.

BFIB

It looks like some Gamestops are receiving their shipments of Nexus 7s and having customers pick them up on July 12th as evidenced by some people on other forums. Call your gamestops to see if they got theirs.

My old boss at Gamestop just texted me back and said they are expected to receive their shipments tomorrow.

Also, people on android central's forums are starting to get the pending charge again. Looks like they are most likely shipping tomorrow.

Top Bottom