• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

derder

Mother fucker. I just realized that my nexus is being sent to my old apartment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: called google. They said that mine has shipped but they don't have the tracking number. Once I get that, I can call Fedex or UPS and get them to reroute or hold it for me. If that doesn't work, I call google and they're put a "retrieve" or something like that on it and it will be returned to them to ship at my new address.

Phoenix

It's beyond that though. Disorganized would be letting the brick and mortar stores have their own release dates, same with Play. Actively sabotaging yourself is holding all this shit back, and possibly pissing off all these new possible people who want to enter the tablet market.

Indeed. The devices are already there. You've already fucked up. Street date has already been broken - you might as well just go ahead and release early instead of trying to hold everything back. Its all really stupid. The people who were going to be pissed off about it are ALREADY pissed off about it.

Eusis

Absolutely I would. IF IT WERE DELAYED.
I think the lack of a firm date for release has been worse than a mere delay would've been, honestly. At least then you had an expected day,t hen that expected day got changed on you to likely another expected day, but here it seems to literally be "it's out when it's out" and we have no idea if we're going to be able to get these tomorrow or a month from now.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
so what are the odds this are arriving tomorrow? do i need to take a day off work in order to accept the package?

Hieberrr

Someone over at Reddit is claiming that according to a rep they talked to, people that ordered from June 27th to 29th will receive it this week or early next. From the 30th until July 2nd, mid next week. If you ordered afterwards (like me), who knows. Apparently, they can only ship 10,000 per day.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/wgewx/official_information_regarding_nexus_7_preorders/

I ordered on July 3rd... so I'm fucked until August? What the fuck, man?

Salaadin

People claiming they got charged early on stopped me from ordering right away. I hope ordering on the 9th didn't screw me.

Lol. I have no idea why they charged the full amount as a pre-auth. Even weirder is that I also got a 1.00 pre-auth to go along with the other one. Theyre both gone now.

Phoenix

I ordered on July 3rd... so I'm fucked until August? What the fuck, man?

The stores are saying they will be able to sell it on Sunday so just get it from them and cancel your preorder. Google just showing they don't know shit about ecommerce.

Salaadin

The CS reps are giving out a lot of information ranging from "ships today!" to "we dont know!" . Its discouraging "news" but I wont put any weight behind it yet.

Hieberrr

The stores are saying they will be able to sell it on Sunday so just get it from them and cancel your preorder. Google just showing they don't know shit about ecommerce.

But I only want the 8GB :(

Grrrr :mad:

and yeah, the reports have been all over the place. I'll try to wit patiently until the 20th (at least).

scorcho

with some of the reaction on the net it's as if, for some, this is the first time they've ever spent $200 on anything. patience is a lost art.

Phoenix

Someone over at Reddit is claiming that according to a rep they talked to, people that ordered from June 27th to 29th will receive it this week or early next. From the 30th until July 2nd, mid next week. If you ordered afterwards (like me), who knows. Apparently, they can only ship 10,000 per day.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/wgewx/official_information_regarding_nexus_7_preorders/

If it starts shipping from stores while there are pre-orders out there that won't ship until almost a week later, Google will damn Google Play to never being the primary market for their devices.

e_i

Boy, this is a clusterfuck if there ever one. No concrete date, orders being sent out sporadically, rumors flying all over the place.

Izick

Where did you hear this? Hopefully that includes Gamestop I'm guessing.

Izick

"Put all money down on the 'TBA' space, please."

5CbVN.gif

scorcho

Google's holding our money so that they can place it into a larger pool from which to earn interest on over the weekend. They're literally stealing from us.

We can and should file a class-action against them and this practice. I'm tired of ordering something online and constantly having it shipped at a later date. I want my product now, and Google's inability to deliver it now is tantamount to giving me a license to stealing it the first chance I get.

Thank you, Google.

mkenyon

Banned
Google's holding our money so that they can place it into a larger pool from which to earn interest on over the weekend. They're literally stealing from us.

We can and should file a class-action against them and this practice. I'm tired of ordering something online and constantly having it shipped at a later date. I want my product now, and Google's inability to deliver it now is tantamount to giving me a license to stealing it the first chance I get.

Thank you, Google.
Did you not 'pre-order' something for 'mid July'?

Izick

Thank you, Google.

Do you work for Apple?

(but seriously though, this is bullshit we have know idea what the fuck is going on still)

Did you not 'pre-order' something for 'mid July'?

Give it a rest already. It's 3 days before "mid-July" and we don't have an exact release date. What if I said I'm going to release something this year, and then never give a date? I'd just release it. That doesn't sound like anything fucking close to smart business.

kehs

Banned

Thank you, Google.

You have my bar card.

Phoenix

Do you work for Apple?

(but seriously though, this is bullshit we have know idea what the fuck is going on still)

This is where Google's epic fail really is. They haven't and refuse to communicate to anyone what is really going on and that is pissing people off more than anything else. If they came back and told people that they would get it next week, or the week after - people would just calm down.

That Google hasn't said ANYTHING is what is causing this to so quickly spiral into a PR nightmare.

Thank you, Google.

Would you say that Google has shot themselves in the foot and alienated an entire market?

mkenyon

Banned
Give it a rest already. It's 3 days before "mid-July" and we don't have an exact release date. What if I said I'm going to release something this year, and then never give a date? I'd just release it. That doesn't sound like anything fucking close to smart business.
Data wouldn't bring this straw man bullshit to the table. You do a disservice to your avatar.
Wtf is going on in here? lol
I'm attempting to hold back the flood gates of insanity. I don't know why. Must be the 'someone is wrong on the internet' taking over my body. I'll stop now.

Izick

Data wouldn't bring this straw man bullshit to the table. You do a disservice to your avatar.

I'm attempting to hold back the flood gates of insanity. I don't know why. Must be the 'someone is wrong on the internet' taking over my body. I'll stop now.

What? This isn't a straw-man argument, this is people being pissed because they're being yanked around by the dick for the past week. If Google had just made a statement like "the Nexus is going to come out X" or "the Nexus will be available in stores on X" or "the Nexus is delayed until X" then none of this would be happening, people wouldn't be pissed.

Blackhead

Redarse
Do you work for Apple?

(but seriously though, this is bullshit we have know idea what the fuck is going on still
He might. Sounds similar to how Apple did the first iPad launch:

iPad Available in US on April 3
Apple PR said:
Pre-Order on March 12

CUPERTINO, California—March 5, 2010—Apple® today announced that its magical and revolutionary iPad will be available in the US on Saturday, April 3, for Wi-Fi models and in late April for Wi-Fi + 3G models. In addition, all models of iPad will be available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK in late April.

Beginning a week from today, on March 12, US customers can pre-order both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G models from Apple’s online store (www.apple.com) or reserve a Wi-Fi model to pick up on Saturday, April 3, at an Apple retail store.

mkenyon

Banned
3 times I've attempted to formulate some kind of response to the madness in this thread. I've got nothing.
I know, right?
What? This isn't a straw-man argument, this is people being pissed because they're being yanked around by the dick for the past week. If Google had just made a statement like "the Nexus is going to come out X" or "the Nexus will be available in stores on X" or "the Nexus is delayed until X" then none of this would be happening, people wouldn't be pissed.
Your year example was a straw man argument. Mostly because a year is an absurd amount of time.

The only thing you're being yanked around by is hearsay and rumors. Goggle hasn't said anything other than 'mid-July'. Mid July just started.

Izick

1 post every few minutes!? People complaining about a botched product launch!? What madness is in here!? CAN YOU FEEL THE HORROR!?

I know, right?

Your year example was a straw man argument. Mostly because a year is an absurd amount of time.

The only thing you're being yanked around by is hearsay and rumors. Goggle hasn't said anything other than 'mid-July'. Mid July just started.

Replace a year with a month. It's still absurd and dumb business.

Slime

Banned
Only thing I have to be bummed about is that pre-ordering was kind of pointless. I assumed that the Play credit was exclusive, the retail version would have a mark-up, and also come out later. Instead people who buy at retail are getting the credit, will pay less, and will most certainly get it at the same time (and possibly a bit earlier).

That was all based on assumptions though, so I'm not pissed at Google.

1 post every few minutes!? People complaining about a botched product launch!? What madness is in here!? CAN YOU FEEL THE HORROR!?

Replace a year with a month. It's still absurd and dumb business.

The only absurd thing here is a bunch of people losing it cos they might have to wait an extra few days. Until it becomes clear that Google have totally failed on that 'Mid-July' promise, which could really be any time within the next week, then the amount of drama queenery in here is approaching ludicrous levels. When (or rather, if) Google don't make mid-July you have my permission to watch Google burn.

Eusis

They said 'Mid July'. That's what, like July 10th-20th? It's not even two days into that.
You'd also expect a more solid date by mid July, even if it's said to be out July 19th or something.

Damn though, I pre-ordered at GameStop on the 5th, so depending on how that works out I guess I could be waiting awhile. Just gotta wait and see.

It's really unnatural to want this tablet so badly, especially since I already have an iPad, but I just want the thing!

I keep hoping to see a post that some B&M store is now selling and that I can easily walk in and pick it up. I keep F5ing for that, and it doesn't happen!

ARgghghghghghghgggggh!!!

scorcho

This bullshit is why people pirate and steal. I'm going to install adblocker and activate it on all google-owned domains to block their revenue stream.

e_i

It's really unnatural to want this tablet so badly, especially since I already have an iPad, but I just want the thing!

I keep hoping to see a post that some B&M store is now selling and that I can easily walk in and pick it up. I keep F5ing for that, and it doesn't happen!

ARgghghghghghghgggggh!!!

I want one badly...and I have the iPad 3.

Top Bottom