• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

kitch9

Banned
Gotta love ebuyer....

"Free next day delivery!!!" they announce, but...

Fuck Northern Ireland! We will charge you £10 and deliver it next tuesday! :(

I deliver all over the UK, but I have to charge NI customers more due to delivery surcharges.

Don't forget the item has to either go on the back of a plane or ferry to get to you.

Adamm

I deliver all over the UK, but I have to charge NI customers more due to delivery surcharges.

Don't forget the item has to either go on the back of a plane or ferry to get to you.

Im well aware delivering to NI is slightly more expensive. But £10 & no next day delivery?
Also, no site I have ever ordered off has charged me extra shipping because im not UK mainland.

Bumhead

Banned
Hmm, can you only get the 8GB version direct from Google, then?

Seems a bit daft.

Was hoping to pick mine up from John Lewis (wife works there so I get discount) but not sure if I want the £200 version..

Hieberrr

I swear, this whole keeping the launch date to ourselves business is some marketing ploy. It has everyone who wanted one, or at least ordered one, talking about it.

Chili

Anyones Ebuyer order been shipped out? :(

Not for me, but I wouldn't worry yet. Ebuyer have always been very reliable for me and I often don't get shipping confirmations until very late at night or early in the morning (they take orders until 11pm for next day shipping so they work pretty late!).

shamo42

Anyones Ebuyer order been shipped out? :(

Ebuyer is shipping!
"Your order xxx has been despatched for delivery and should be with you shortly. Your goods, dependant on courier, should be delivered between Monday-Friday 8am-6pm. Please note: if you selected a specific delivery timescale, please refer to your original order invoice."

Salaadin

Guy on XDA who has a UPS My Choice account got a notification that a package was prepared to ship to him from google. He says if you sign up for UPS My Choice, you might be able to check it to.

Can anyone confirm?

Izick

"There's still no release date, nor explanation for it either."

iUugL.gif

Izick

Izick, your .gifs are cracking me up.

Need to rewatch Next Generation soon.

Thank you, and me too, but I'd like to watch them on something that I could carry around with me; something portable...something that I could do other stuff on as well....maybe something with a Netflix app...if only I had such a magical device.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Is this because they are trying to get marketing up or something. In any event, this is goofy. I bought two 16GB for my twin girls so I'm not in a rush but I don't like how I paid for something, it's at the store, yet I can't get it, a bunch of bullshit.

Izick

You could be right, but I still don't get it. Why not let the tons of people who know about this buy it and spread good word about it?

I'm guessing that there was just some clerical fuck up and they're just riding it out right now. Some wrong dates given and stuff maybe, and now Google's just trying to have one release date. It's still dumb though.

Why is anyone surprised really. This IS the google experience. I await the day where they are able to plan things and then execute things in a tight well organized fashion whether it's a product release, or a software release, or anything.

Hopefully they ship before today is over though.

Izick

Why is anyone surprised really. This IS the google experience. I await the day where they are able to plan things and then execute things in a tight well organized fashion whether it's a product release, or a software release, or anything.

It's beyond that though. Disorganized would be letting the brick and mortar stores have their own release dates, same with Play. Actively sabotaging yourself is holding all this shit back, and possibly pissing off all these new possible people who want to enter the tablet market.

mkenyon

Banned

Google never said the 12th. You guys are all insane. Seriously.

Mountains out of molehills. Actually, mountains out of make-believe molehills.

JordanKZ

Well... My Ebuyer Nexus 7, that I pre ordered today has gone out. But my Google one still hasn't! Fantastic service Google. Seriously. XD

Chili

My Ebuyer order shipped! Ordered around 3.30pm.

I remember the Galaxy Nexus launch, no-one had any idea what was going on with that either. There was vague news coming through the evening before that there was going to be some sort of event at a Phones4u on Oxford Street (naturally they were launching it in one single branch of a store in the UK rather than worldwide) but of course it wasn't specified which one, I went to two of them and they had no clue what was going on.

So I went to the third one about an hour or two after opening and it was just cringe-worthy. They had balloons and barriers laid out for the massive queue they were no doubt expecting but were left completely unused by the time I got there. I strolled straight in and it seemed packed inside before I realised it was about 70% photographers, 20% staff and maybe five or six people actually buying the phone.

I couldn't help but think if they had actually announced something was happening a few days in advance things wouldn't have been so embarrassing. Honestly, if you want to play against Apple the launch is a pretty big part of it.

naww mang, stop defending it. Hanging this "mid july" release date for a major product release is pretty ridiculous. Especially when retailers have them in stock, one even sold one, delays behind the scenes, and so on and so forth. It's a really messy product launch, zero communication from Google.

surly

Banned

I'm a bit annoyed that I paid to order direct from Google on the day the pre-orders opened, and people who ordered on eBuyer this afternoon will have their tablet before I get mine. I think that's a legitimate gripe. It's not the end of the world and I haven't cancelled my order with Google, but it is still a little annoying.

kehs

Banned
naww mang, stop defending it. Hanging this "mid july" release date for a major product release is pretty ridiculous. Especially when retailers have them in stock, one even sold one, delays behind the scenes, and so on and so forth. It's a really messy product launch, zero communication from Google.

Preorder a product with an indefinite date.

Get upset over no definite date.

People in here are acting like it's September already and haven't gotten an update from Google.

Salaadin

When google CS reps refuse to cancel orders because they are "shipping soon" and when retailers are initially told the 12th but suddenly have to change that, people are going to get a little irritated.

Preorder a product with an indefinite date.

Get upset over no definite date.
not upset really, just pointing out that it's messy stuff. Google should clarify things. I mean even if the product officially launched literally TOMORROW. You don't think it's a bit ridiculous that a major company launching major product can't say that today?

kehs

Banned
not upset really, just pointing out that it's messy stuff. Google should clarify things. I mean even if the product officially launched literally TOMORROW. You don't think it's a bit ridiculous that a major company launching major product can't say that today?

Would I have preferred a fixed date, sure. They said mid-july, it's no even the fifteenth yet. I'll grab my pitchfork and join you next week.

My Ebuyer order shipped! Ordered around 3.30pm.

I remember the Galaxy Nexus launch, no-one had any idea what was going on with that either. There was vague news coming through the evening before that there was going to be some sort of event at a Phones4u on Oxford Street (naturally they were launching it in one single branch of a store in the UK rather than worldwide) but of course it wasn't specified which one, I went to two of them and they had no clue what was going on.

So I went to the third one about an hour or two after opening and it was just cringe-worthy. They had balloons and barriers laid out for the massive queue they were no doubt expecting but were left completely unused by the time I got there. I strolled straight in and it seemed packed inside before I realised it was about 70% photographers, 20% staff and maybe five or six people actually buying the phone.

I couldn't help but think if they had actually announced something was happening a few days in advance things wouldn't have been so embarrassing. Honestly, if you want to play against Apple the launch is a pretty big part of it.

Mine has just been shipped for delivery tomorrow as well. :)

It is all a bit amateur, I must say. It really doesn't give a good impression when they get released in a trickle, rather than there being a single, worldwide release date.

Chili

Copernicus said:
July 15th at 12:00pm we'll be shoulder to shoulder burning down the internet.

I think it's more the frustration in that there was an expectation that if you ordered direct from Google straight after the announcement you would pretty much be the first to get it. So to hear that people are strolling into stores randomly and buying them while Google are unable to given any certain information from their own store about their own product it is a little annoying. Quite frankly Google should not have sold the device themselves at all if they can't get a basic online store structure set up with proper tracking and cancellation options.

mkenyon

Banned
The entire thing has been an insane rush to get it out the door, and that may have an effect on what's going on.

But when I pre-ordered on June 27th, and it said Mid-July, I consigned myself to accepting the fact it might be the 20th when I get mine.

I also don't remember reading anything about getting it from Google before retailers.

Entitlement culture at its best.

Hieberrr

The entire thing has been an insane rush to get it out the door, and that may have an effect on what's going on.

But when I pre-ordered on June 27th, and it said Mid-July, I consigned myself to accepting the fact it might be the 20th when I get mine.

I also don't remember reading anything about getting it from Google before retailers.

You'd think that pre-ordering straight from Google would mean you'd at least get it when others do, if not earlier (although unlikely).

I think this launch was handled extremely poorly.

kehs

Banned
I think it's more the frustration in that there was an expectation that if you ordered direct from Google straight after the announcement you would pretty much be the first to get it. So to hear that people are strolling into stores randomly and buying them while Google are unable to given any certain information from their own store about their own product it is a little annoying. Quite frankly Google should not have sold the device themselves at all if they can't get a basic online store structure set up with proper tracking and cancellation options.

I suppose, but companies do it for black friday and such. I guess I don't feel slightly too much since I jumped on JR instead of Google store.

you better hope those ebuyer emails are BS because if they get it first, I'm burning em down tomorrow.

Leave me a network route to get to gaf and back please.

People are just excited. You've never wanted something badly enough to complain when it's delayed?

Salaadin

Well, for what its worth, more people are trying that UPS My Choice thing are being alerted to packages being sent to them so it seems like packages are out there and ready.
I tried it myself but I had it shipped to my work address and its unable to verify who I am so am shit outta luck :p

Top Bottom