• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's the first thing I noticed also. I'm not saying its bad, but coming from a galaxy nexus it seems like quite a step down.

It's the same res but stretched out 2.35 inches... of course it won't look as sharp.

Salaadin

That's the first thing I noticed also. I'm not saying its bad, but coming from a galaxy nexus it seems like quite a step down.

Can any of you see how comics will look on this thing?

I currently use my GNex for comics but really want to switch to the Nexus 7 once I actually get one. If its not as sharp as the Gnex, Im not sure how smart of a decision that will be.

Blackhead

Redarse

I currently use my GNex for comics but really want to switch to the Nexus 7 once I actually get one. If its not as sharp as the Gnex, Im not sure how smart of a decision that will be.

For comics (and images and videos really), the rule of thumb is: the bigger the screen the better the experience.

... what other tablets or phones have you used?

It's the same res but stretched out 2.35 inches... of course it won't look as sharp.
It's not the same res. GNex is 720p

Adamm

To those that have one,how is the speaker quality?

Surprising good actually, good bass, clear sound & has a quite high max volume. Easily comparable to other good tablets on the market.

Well, simply put - its not as sharp. The screen its a similar resolution as the galaxy nexus but a bigger size so nothing going to be as clear. Not to say that screen the screen is bad, it still looks fantastic, its not like the text or detail is hard to see.
I never really read comics on my galaxy nexus, so maybe im not the best person to ask, but I would prefer reading on the bigger screen.

... what other tablets or phones have you used?

Like i said I'm comparing it directly to the galaxy nexus, which is probably a slightly unfair thing to do, as its one of the the highest dpi android devices out there.

The nexus 7 screen is easily better than most the other tablets i have tried.

Sanjay

Wait! Im an idiot. :(

This is from ebuyer.

I tried to cancel my order from google & ordered off ebuyer instead - but as you may have noticed from my complaints yesterday ebuyer didnt allow next day shipping for me, only 3-5 days.

So when it arrived this morning I assumed it couldnt have been ebuyer.

So this isnt from google play :p

Sorry for giving false hope :(

To be fair it doesnt actually say on the box who its from & theres no invoice

I thought the free movie and credit was on Google play offer? so it can't be Ebuyer right?

Salaadin

For comics (and images and videos really), the rule of thumb is: the bigger the screen the better the experience.

Well, simply put - its not as sharp. The screen its a similar resolution as the galaxy nexus but a bigger size so nothing going to be as clear. Not to say that screen the screen is bad, it still looks fantastic, its not like the text or detail is hard to see.
I never really read comics on my galaxy nexus, so maybe im not the best person to ask, but I would prefer reading on the bigger screen.

Thanks.

My card hasnt been charged yet either so Ive lost any hope of getting it this week. Ill look around this weekend and see if I can find one and then try to cancel/return the Play order.

Chorazin

You would think after all these early sales, and the throngs of pissed off customers that Google would come out and say SOMETHING about the shipping situation!

At this point I'm going to be more excited to know it actually shipped than when it arrives.

DagsJT

You would think after all these early sales, and the throngs of pissed off customers that Google would come out and say SOMETHING about the shipping situation!

At this point I'm going to be more excited to know it actually shipped than when it arrives.

Well that guy from The Verge went to pick one up from a store in the US and put photos up. Not long after, Google got in touch with the store to tell them to stop selling. They're quick enough to tell stores to stop, but not exactly rushing to keep customers updated.

Brilliant customer service.

JordanKZ

Well, Parcel Force stop delivering where I live at around 3:30pm and I've seen nothing yet. Heck, the tracking hasn't changed since 2:30am this morning:

13-07-2012 02:03 National Hub Received and processed

So... Looking like Monday now (getting it delivered to work).

Adamm

Well that guy from The Verge went to pick one up from a store in the US and put photos up. Not long after, Google got in touch with the store to tell them to stop selling. They're quick enough to tell stores to stop, but not exactly rushing to keep customers updated.

Brilliant customer service.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/12/3154733/nexus-7-availability

Ebuyer has stopped selling now too - now pre-order only
http://www.ebuyer.com/388913-asus-nexus-7-tablet-pc-90ok0mi1100550u

Salaadin

Just got a text and phone call from Gamestop to come get my pick up now :)!

Damn. You lucky son of a... :p

Ill give mine a call in a bit and see if they have any left not for preorders.

EDIT: Now people are saying the Gamestop text was sent in error. They arent selling them yet.

EDIT2: But others are picking them up. Im so confussseeeddd!!

Salaadin

From XDA forums:

A friend of mine just called me. He had ordered the N7 from gamestop and called this morning to see if he was allowed to pick it up. They said, sure, why not...

Right when he was about to walk out the door, he got a call back from the gamestop employee apologetic, saying that they made a mistake and that he could NOT buy it today. The system gave a street date of August 7th.

Obviously bombed, he dropped his keys and slumped down in the nearest chair, trying to recover from this enormous let down (I may be adding a little artistic license for a more dramatic affect). A couple of minutes passed and the phone rings. It's an automatic message from Gamestop, saying his order was ready.

Confused, he calls the gamestop back and sure enough, he can come pick it up today. (I swear, you can make this stuff up!)

Long story short (or may not), if you ordered at gamestop. Go pick up your Nexus. Congrats to you guys. I ordered from the play store, but I'm happy for you guys!

He's gonna stop by my place so I can see it... At least, there's that!

LOL!

EDIT: My Gamestop says they still dont have a release date and that theyre on the 3rd wave of preorders with no ETA.

derder

I'm going to call my local gamestop and see if they have any extras at 10:00 when they open.

I just called all 10 local gamestops. They only received enough for the first pre-order shipment. They will only hold them for the first 48 hours.

Chorazin

Gamestop being able to sell them before Play Store orders have even shipped is bullshit. I guess we've all learned not to buy new hardware directly from Google next time.

BFIB

This certainly has not been a smooth launch, thats for sure. Hell, I received my Kindle Fire a week before the actual launch date, which was a concrete date, because the manufacturer of the product had already begun shipping them to depots.

Pachimari

Anyone here who ordered more and is selling to fellow international Gaffers?

At least you guys got pre-orders, around the world we got nothing.

Dunlop

Gamestop being able to sell them before Play Store orders have even shipped is bullshit. I guess we've all learned not to buy new hardware directly from Google next time.

It's sucks to be sure, but Google has not actually announced a launch date outside of mid July, some Gamestop franchises could just be inadvertently breaking the street date

They have until Aug 1st for me, I go to my cabin for a week and either I used the shit out of it there or buy a new toy when I come back

Just got off the phone with Google to see if it would be possible to cancel my order as another retailer is selling the Nexus 7 cheaper and has an actual release date but I was told that my order is being processed for shipping with TNT.

I was told that I would get a tracking number on Monday as TNT only operate on business days and that the only way I could cancel the order is if I refuse delivery and TNT accept my refusal.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=28710721&postcount=6759

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I just got my call from Gamestop for my two Google Nexus 7's, I'm leaving work early. I'll pick up and work from home today. Back with pics when I get it.

ukas

My account just got pre-authed. Hopefully it's shipping today or Monday.

07/13/12 CHKCARDGOOGLE *DevicesGOOGLE CHCAUS $250.72

dwebo

maybe google just doesn't want to say, hey we're releasing on friday the 13th!

gamestop doesn't give a fuck apparently. too bad I didn't pre-order there

BFIB

This is interesting. I called my old Gamestop boss, and she said that they have been given the release, but they did fill their allotment for their initial preorder.

However, she said she has more that is scheduled to be on the truck today and to call around noon and if the has any extra, she'll save me one.

It's obvious that Google has given up on "not being evil", but they could go for a little goodwill by giving the folks who pre-ordered the Nexus 7, and got it AFTER folks walking into random stores, a little something extra. Make it an extra $50 on the Play store, or a discount on some other Google service.

Yup, they I think they should give something extra, and apologize for having the worst online store ever. If they want to compete with Apple, they're really gonna have to work on customer service. I DO NOT want a phone number that doesn't work, or a random Python script when I have stuff to complain about. I went a well trained human, who listens, and has instructions from management to do whatever it takes to make me happy.

Eusis

This is interesting. I called my old Gamestop boss, and she said that they have been given the release, but they did fill their allotment for their initial preorder.

However, she said she has more that is scheduled to be on the truck today and to call around noon and if the has any extra, she'll save me one.
Might mean second wave pre-orders stand a chance afterall.

Top Bottom