• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

mil6es

If there's one thing I'm taking away from all this, it's don't pre-order directly from Google. They don't seem to have a system in place.

Seriously this whole experience has soured my feelings towards Google, hate to say it but Apple would never have these issues...

I'm still waiting Google, hurry up and take my money!!!!!

mil6es

they have always given a firm date with products like the ipad,ipod and so on and shipped to the deadline, in my case anyway

Blackhead

Redarse
Sounds similar to how Apple did the first iPad launch:

iPad Available in US on April 3
Apple PR said:
Pre-Order on March 12

CUPERTINO, California—March 5, 2010—Apple® today announced that its magical and revolutionary iPad will be available in the US on Saturday, April 3, for Wi-Fi models and in late April for Wi-Fi + 3G models. In addition, all models of iPad will be available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK in late April.

Beginning a week from today, on March 12, US customers can pre-order both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G models from Apple’s online store (www.apple.com) or reserve a Wi-Fi model to pick up on Saturday, April 3, at an Apple retail store.
Apple ended up shipping the Wi-Fi + 3G model in the USA on April 30th, the very last day to still qualify for their "late April" promise. Apple also missed the late April for international markets. This was for the first iPad launch

Sanjuro

How do you figure they've done the same thing as Google in this case? Apple doesn't take preorders for a device with no release date and allowed brick and mortar retail to sell units before they shipped even one to a preorderer.

Not saying in every case they have. Recently they have done something similar with the Retina MacBook. Most people ordering received a 2-3 week time frame, with some of our stores receiving some stock as well. It's not entirely uncommon. The iPad 2 was another similar scenario.

I've noted before, Google seemed very unprepared for this regardless.

Sanjuro

I'm two minds on whether to give my 'future' nexus 7 a cover or not.

I was planning on using it naked, but I'll be taking a long flight the following week. Don't feel like bringing a messenger bag with me or anything bulky. Might just bite on one of the cheap ones on Amazon.

So can I simply not watch embedded video on sites like ESPN and the verge on my Nexus?

You should be able to do this with the Maxthon browser. Just go to settings-other-UA and select either desktop or no user agent. I prefer no user agent on my phone. There is also a pc version of maxthon with sync as well, just fyi.

dwebo

no ups ground on saturdays apparently, so monday it is. would've arrived yesterday if staples was allowed to ship on thusday. damn you google

no email, but it says sent on the tracking page along with a ups number
Thanks. I've been trying to check my order but it doesn't seem to want to pull it up from my iPhone :/ When did you preorder with Staples? Cause I got an estimate for the 16th like you

Nvm, says shipped from Warehouse. Can't pull a tracking # though. Eh well, I'm sure it'll be here :D

e_i

*sigh* Someone over at Reddit posed his had shipped...except he ordered on the 8th. I ordered on the 6th and mine hasn't shipped yet. Another claimed he ordered his on the 7th and it shipped.

edit: I guess the date you ordered it makes no difference at all.

Emily Chu

Banned
Got.about 7 hrs of on screen time or so I remember it being.around 9% battery life when I switched it off his morning

That's constantly.messing around with it for like 7-8 hrs straight

And that's with 4.1.1 with adobe flash 11.1 usage

Not bad prolly get 9-10 hrs out of it if I want

God typing this on a galaxy nexus the screen feels tiny now : (

The fuck ?!

Samsung make 7" note phone now!!!! With almost no bezel plz

Sanjuro

I think we should start a petition against UPS. It's been about 12 hours since I've gotten my tracking number and nothing shows up. Even though it clearly states "Note that it may take 24 hours for your tracking number to return any information.", I feel that I should be entitled to some compensation.

kehs

Banned
Uhh do you have to unlock it first before you root it ?

Or can you be on stock and locked and still root ?

Depends on the device. There are vulnerabilities that allow rooting without unlocking the bootloader.

The GN with 4.0.2 had a huge hole that allowed rooting without unlocking, but they patched it up in 4.0.4.

It's just easier to root if you have the bootloader unlocked since you can target the system partition directly through recovery.

/dweeb

Salaadin

*sigh* Someone over at Reddit posed his had shipped...except he ordered on the 8th. I ordered on the 6th and mine hasn't shipped yet. Another claimed he ordered his on the 7th and it shipped.

edit: I guess the date you ordered it makes no difference at all.

Same here. I ordered on the 6th and have seen people order days after me have theirs ship. Order date doesn't seem to matter at all.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Someone should start a seperate impressions thread. I had planned on getting one but the wife only gave me the option if either this or a Galaxy Nexus so I went with the latter. Plus it gives me working room on still trying to convince her since my birthday has not passed yet.

Still nothing here and now it's saturday so now I know there won't be shit for at least a couple days. Wooo google you ROCKK!!! YEAHasaHZHZ.

June 28th order is meaningless with their random ass way of fulfilling orders.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Picked one up on my way home today:

IMG_20120714_154731.jpg

EDIT: How do I open this box? Am I retarded?

Top Bottom