• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Izick

Download apex launcher from the market and then force it in the behavior settings of apex

Oh and in the notification bar theres a switch for locking and unlocking rotation.
yeah everybody help me out with the rotation thing I love in chrome I just wish there is a native standard landscape ui.

Cartman86

Banned
the only thing I really want badly is a landscape Ui.

You can force it and still keep the Google Launcher with an app like this. The problem is that it will allow any app to rotate to landscape. Even ones where that wasn't the intention. So some apps will basically be broken in landscape.

4c673742-210b-6117.jpg

Emily Chu

Banned
Assuming you got root on it already, you can just use this app, if it doesn't work, the build.prop editing instructions are in the post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1497558

That's what I'm using on my GN since I'm on the stock rom.

Damn I am lazy I think I'm just gonna wait for a custom to ala aokp or cm10 geez

I'm not not even rooted or unlocked yet on my 7 I must be slacking

I need an auto unlock and rooting tool lol...

Which is funny because my gnex is customized to hell and back...

kehs

Banned
Damn I am lazy I think I'm just gonna wait for a custom to ala aokp or cm10 geez

I'm not not even rooted or unlocked yet on my 7 I must be slacking

I need an auto unlock and rooting tool lol...

Haha, booo. You haven't lived until you've had the thrill of typing fastboot oem unlock.

I think someone posted a toolkit a little bit earlier though, lazy =P

BFIB

Looks like they are going by location. Don't worry, I just received my shipping notification as well, so you'll get it at some point tonight most likely.

I'm guessing a Monday delivery. But this still wasn't a smooth launch whatsoever for those using Google's Play Store. There are a lot of people that are still out in the dark with no notice whatsoever, and had their orders in before me.

Cartman86

Banned
Hmm I might have to give that a look.

Ultimate Rotation which allows you to do pretty much everything (besides the getting around forcing portrait only apps into landscape) is a 7 day trial then you will need to buy it.

Orientation Control looks like it works the same way though it is cheaper.

Set Orientation is free though it does leave an icon up in the notification bar which annoys me

Rotation Locker is a more simple free app. It just has you force the whole system into an orientation.

Cartman86

Banned
Just got my shipping email and I ordered the device on July 8th. I'm in Washington state. Says my UPS label and "Shipped/Billed On:" was created yesterday too.

So it's midnight. Guessing Google is giving Canadians the shaft regardless of when they ordered, considering there are people who ordered yesterday who are getting theirs.

Bleh. I'm left sour. As if it wasn't obvious already. Google, just stop trying to play the big boys game and leave it to 3rd parties next time kthx.

Salaadin

Just got my shipping email and I ordered the device on July 8th. I'm in Washington state. Says my UPS label and "Shipped/Billed On:" was created yesterday too.
What size did you order. I see more 8gb than 16 going out.
I ordered my 16gb on the 6th and have nothing. I hope they have someone working weekends :(

I received my shipping email as well. Ugh. So many tech toys this summer....it's been fucking insane. But oh well, LMAO. I'll never complain about my commute being boring again :D

DarkFlow

Banned
ruh-oh does this work with the 4.1.1 OTA I just stupidly updated to the second I ripped out of the box ? : S

the only options it shows is Android 4.1 with Nexus 7 : S

gR225.gif

oh well if it doesn't thats just more waiting..................
I'm sure if it don't, it will be updated by tomorrow. If there's one thing xda is good at, it's timely updates.

Izick

So I think I asked you all before but do you see GAF mobile or regular? Also, what's some good stuff on the play store?

Cartman86

Banned
So I think I asked you all before but do you see GAF mobile or regular? Also, what's some good stuff on the play store?

Other than games

MX Player is the best video player in my eyes
Calculations 4.0 is my favorite calculator (for figuring out tips etc.)
reddit is fun - Best reddit app. Pay to get tablet support. Reddit is Fun might be better though.
Stick it - Basically emulates desktop funcationality for putting windows into a window.
Unified Remote for controlling your PC from you phone.
Google Music - Was going to ignore apps that come pre-loaded, but I think Music is too good to not mention if people don't know about it. Upload all your music (up to 20000 songs) for free. Play em in any browser. Pin them to device for offline user etc. Spotify is great for random streaming, and TuneIn seems to be good for radio.
Google Voice - Create your own phone number that has unlimited texting, Can access from the web etc. Pretty great.
Google Drive/Dropbox - Whichever you prefer for storing files. You'll want Drive at least for Google Docs.
Google Translate - Can have conversations back and forth with a foreign language.
Llama - Make wifi shut off when you enter a certain location. Brightness increase when you charging. Basically anything you want.
Flipboard/Currents/Google Reader and Reader HD - News feed readers
Mint - Your bank account. Keep track of funds etc.
Flixster - Rotten Tomatoes apps. Good for movie times too.
Notes for ICS - Note taking that ties into Google Tasks.
Pocket Casts - My favorite podcast app.
Shazam - Find out what song you are currently hearing in the real world.
Slice - Keep track of your packages. Scans your gmail account (or you can manually enter tracking information)
Steam - Steam!
TwitchTV - Watch justin and twitch tv feeds
Barcode Scanner - One of the many bardcode scanners that you can use to scan QR Codes
ES File Explorer - Has been the best file explorer in my mind. Connects to windows networked PC's too. Though Solid Explorer is really pretty and can do almost everything ES can. So for sure try that too. I'm close to switching personally.
Google Goggles - Fun little tool to scan real world objects. Works as a QR code scanner too.
Flash - Sideload flash player for the browsers
Dolphin Browser/Browser/Firefox etc. - Use something other than Chrome in addition to the flash app and you can watch flash content. Hopefully. I haven't used many browsers so I don't know which works best on a tablet. I don't know how to get the non chrome Google browser right now. I'm sure you can find it online somewhere and sideload it.
Plex - Movies and TV library streaming tool. Uses XBMC as it's framework and works similarly.

Remember you can purchase and install all this from the Google Player website.

DarkFlow

Banned
Yes. Its going to be a higher price class, but yes - the device that everyone really wants is coming in a few months from Asus.
High price point is not what everyone wants. This nexus is already selling like hotcakes. I think Google nailed down exactly the right size, power, and price with the nexus 7.

adroit

Now that I've finally received my e-mail from Google Play (containing the tracking number), I noticed that my Wallet transaction has been updated with the same info. So now I just have to wait for delivery. Tuesday?

Cartman86

Banned
Round 2

Sixaxis Controller - Use a wireless PS3 controller for games (plugging in a 360 controllers should work without an app)
WiiMmote Controller - Use a Wii remote for games
Google Chrome to Phone - Used to send links from Chrome on PC to phone. You don't need this app if you use the Chrome app on the phone as there is a Chrome Web Store (on PC) extention that does the same thing. Don't ask me why they don't consolidate this shit.
Kindle - Of course if you want to buy books from Amazon instead of Google.
FBReader - My preferred reading app.
Amazon App Store - Sideload Amazons app store. They have free apps of the day. Not as good as it used to be though.
TV Apps. Apps that are useful if you have Cable/Satelite TV. Xfinity TV Player, Xfinity TV Remote, Directv, HBO Go, Tivo for Tablets
My Xbox Live - Official app to see your friends list etc.
Pocket - An app to save stuff to read later on your phone or PC.
Plume - Good Twitter client.
Vevo - Music videos
Vimeo - The other Youtube
Ustream
Turntable.fm - The social music app.
Last.fm - If you want to scrobble the music you play
Winamp - If you want to physically copy music from PC to the tablet other than using windows file system of course.
Skype - Voice and video chat. Google Talk does it better in my eyes.
Ted - Ted Talks
imdb - Movie information database
imgur for Android - upload to imgur
Instagram - photo filters
Netflix - Instant movie/TV streaming of course
Hulu+ - If you've got a subscription of course.
ComicRack - or Perfect Viewer are the best comic apps in my eyes.

Cartman86

Banned
You don't need chrome-to-phone anymore. Chrome syncs open tabs between platforms.

True, but it's quicker when you're looking for an address or your watching a video to just fling the link over to the phone/tablet where it will open automatically rather than open Chrome and browse to that section.

zbeeb

I don't have a nexus 7, but I can tell you it will load GAF mobile by default. ofcourse you can select to have the desktop site instead.

Cartman86

Banned
Game time! Only games that I think work well on a touch screen. Shit like Dead Space is interesting visually, but ehhhh. Fuck on-screen joysticks.

NeoGAF thread on the topic

Cut the Rope - Classic mobile puzzle game
World of Goo - Classic puzzle game for all platforms.
Fruit Ninja - Another classic mobile game that I don't know if I would recommend.
Peggle - barely works with any devices so maybe not...
Stay Alive - Stay alive!!
Tample Run - Actually stay alive as well
Pixel Rain - Physics puzzle game
Where's My Water? - The best mobile game ever.
Sprinkle - Similar to Where's My Water?
Mayhem - simple, but funny Adult Swim game
Strikefleet Omega - Really Really good "shooter".
Hanging with Friends - Hangman game.
Angry Birds - The one game i'm not a fan of, but I can't ignore it. Especialy since I like...
Angry Birds Space - Better game.
Draw Something - It won't last you long, but it's incredibly fun for those first few weeks
Game Dev Story - There are a ton of these "story" games.
Line Runner - Run forever
Gyro - Really simple, but addictive "puzzle" game
Super Bit Dash - Solid running forever game
Canabalt - One of the original running forever games.
Trivialist - Trivia game I enjoy.
Tiny Tower
Words with Friends - Scrabble ripoff
Ski Safari
Osmos HD

Cartman86

Banned
Not in the chrome browser. Firefox browser with flash app prob work. You could try the standard android browser or dolphin browser too. Doesn't solve much if you want to use chrome as your default browser.

Gah, still no email/update in Google Wallet, I've heard reports that US people are getting them but no UK ones. Interestingly enough, Google have now changed the 'Pre-order' button on the play store to read 'Buy Now', so I guess it's officially launched?

Salaadin

Gah, still no email/update in Google Wallet, I've heard reports that US people are getting them but no UK ones. Interestingly enough, Google have now changed the 'Pre-order' button on the play store to read 'Buy Now', so I guess it's officially launched?

If there's one thing I'm taking away from all this, it's don't pre-order directly from Google. They don't seem to have a system in place.

Apparently the Nexus 7 will only come to mainland Europe in September. Also, no Google Play stuff (other than apps) for us because Google are still negotiating with the rights owners, and they probably have to do it for each country separately.

Source

Are there any UK online shops that have the Nexus 7 and ship it to countries outside of the UK?

Top Bottom