• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

kinggroin

Banned
Nope, still just the date I ordered it:

Mtsah.jpg

Blows.

EDIT: Interestingly, I see that it now lists the price as $249, whereas before it was $259. Is it the same for any other Canadians? Are we getting a price drop or something?

I have the iPad 3 and I can say that you will gain a sharper image, but will suffer letterboxing and worse comfort (its much heavier, and runs warmer).

My Google Wallet says July 13 now. Strange, since I ordered on July 3rd, later than some folks here. I haven't gotten any kind of shipping notice or anything else though.

I ordered on July 3rd and mine still says July 3rd..

I was able to get one from my local sam's club.. when the one from google arrives I'll have one to pass along to my father if he likes it.

timkunedo

Just got my shipping notice. It will probably be at my house on Monday. I'm hoping tomorrow, but i seriously doubt it. Man.....it's really happening!

Izick

I don't have any other devices with video recording capabilities so I don't know how I do that um I would if I could. Salsa I keep forgetting to say. And then I didn't say salsa but that was me being a stuttering prick. Also I just called myself a stuttering prick out loud, now for the second time. Magic.

Cartman86

Banned
I don't have any other devices with video recording capabilities so I don't know how I do that um I would if I could. Salsa I keep forgetting to say. And then I didn't say salsa but that was me being a stuttering prick. Also I just called myself a stuttering prick out loud, now for the second time. Magic.

Take a screen cap! Holding power button plus volume down button does it.

Emily Chu

Banned
you know what I never understood the point of a 7" tablet until I sat down and took a dump...

theres nothing heating up my lap, theres no mucking around with a crappy laptop click pad

in a sense it's more comfortable to use overall

my galaxy nexus was too small to use for long lengths of time and my laptop honestly only lasted 3-4 hrs @ the most

theres just you taking a shit and the internet in the palm of your hand

it makes sense to me now.

Emily Chu

Banned
I need to stop posting in android threads.

I'm still in shock they chose to keep the nav bar on the bottom instead of on the side like the GN. LMT to the rescue!

I can't wait until the custom rom devs have there way with this device

AOKP or CM10 BRING IT ON

I want this pesky nav BAR GONE

LMT FTW indeed

not we pay the waiting game....

LETS PLAY HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPOS INSTEAD!!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
you know what I never understood the point of a 7" tablet until I sat down and took a dump...

theres nothing heating up my lap, theres no mucking around with a crappy laptop click pad

my galaxy nexus was too small to use for long lengths of time and my laptop honestly only lasted 3-4 hrs @ the most

theres just you taking a shit and the internet in the palm of your hand

it makes sense to me now.
You've convinced me...

SimleuqiR

This reminds me...I need to make a mental note not to pick up and use anyone's tablet when I go visit them.

dwebo

does chrome have a fullscreen mode that hides the top and bottom bars? I have a feeling I'm going to hate those soft buttons

Izick

what about the official aces case? Or is it googles case? Either way I saw on youtube that the nexus has magnet reading capabilities so I'm guessing a great kind of smart cover is coming down the rend.

Emily Chu

Banned
does chrome have a fullscreen mode that hides the top and bottom bars? I have a feeling I'm going to hate those soft buttons

That were custom Roms and rooting comes in I've turned off the Navy bar since day one on my gnex

No such luck with my N7 since I got it so early custom RMS need to be developed.

Phoenix

tfur said:
I would not be surprised if stuff like this is why the release is so vague. I wonder how many retailers Apple is trying to strong arm.

Apple sent takedown letters to retailers selling Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy Tab 10.1
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/13/31...takedown-order

They are actually not doing anything wrong here. They were granted a ban on the device and that applies to resellers to the device as well. They can't sell their existing inventory if there is a court ordered ban on selling the devices. This is well within Apple's reasonable rights, without such it would be somewhat pointless to have the ban as the device would STILL be being sold in the marketplace.

Cartman86

Banned
Little tip that I saw recently that I wish I had known a long time ago. If typing in emails and usernames is annoying go to the Language & input under settings. There is a Personal Dictionary you create that will let you make a custom auto-fill so you can enter in emails and usernames quickly. So when I type "em" my email comes up. Very helpful for me.

Phoenix

Little tip that I saw recently that I wish I had known a long time ago. If typing in emails and usernames is annoying go to the Language & input under settings. There is a Personal Dictionary you create that will let you make a custom auto-fill so you can enter in emails and usernames quickly. So when I type "em" my email comes up. Very helpful for me.

This is a little used feature that is on pretty much every mobile OS out there. I was surprised that people didn't realize it was there in iOS.

Cartman86

Banned
This is a little used feature that is on pretty much every mobile OS out there. I was surprised that people didn't realize it was there in iOS.

Yeah even the PS3 has something similar. I always had this weird idea that I would type my email and it would forever remember it. I figured there was a solution, but never bothered to check.

tenz0r

So how do I go about getting my $25 Google Play store credit and the Transformer movie? I picked my N7 at GameStop, and they didn't give me any code or voucher for it.

I am assuming when I set the thing up and register in the Google Play store it will give me the bonus items, but I wanted to make sure first. I won't have a chance to play with my new toy until later tonight, so I was hoping someone here would have an answer.

Cartman86

Banned
So how do I go about getting my $25 Google Play store credit and the Transformer movie? I picked my N7 at GameStop, and they didn't give me any code or voucher for it.

I am assuming when I set the thing up and register in the Google Play store it will give me the bonus items, but I wanted to make sure first. I won't have a chance to play with my new toy until later tonight, so I was hoping someone here would have an answer.

Others have said once you login to your Google account on the device it will send you an email about it.

DarkFlow

Banned

Just log in with your Google account. I got a email saying I had $25 credit. The movie, book, and magazines should all show up on the home screen.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
They are actually not doing anything wrong here. They were granted a ban on the device and that applies to resellers to the device as well. They can't sell their existing inventory if there is a court ordered ban on selling the devices. This is well within Apple's reasonable rights, without such it would be somewhat pointless to have the ban as the device would STILL be being sold in the marketplace.

Huh? That's the link I posted for the 50% extra trade in credit on the iPad.

Emily Chu

Banned
Just log in with your Google account. I got a email saying I had $25 credit. The movie, book, and magazines should all show up on the home screen.

Do I need to add a credit card first ? Because it said I need add a credit card before I get the 25$ ?

Can I just use a visa gift card ?

Cartman86

Banned
for everyone else to have it already how do you like it so far? I'm loving it.

How is the audio. Both with headphones and without. I've seen some people cancelling pre-orders because they think it's complete shit. Like unbearable. Audiophiles are a particular bunch though...

Izick

How is the audio. Both with headphones and without. I've seen some people cancelling pre-orders because they think it's complete shit. Like unbearable. Audiophiles are a particular bunch though...

I think it's fine. I think the speaker placement a bit awkward but other than that it's I think it's good.

Emily Chu

Banned
for everyone else to have it already how do you like it so far? I'm loving it.

love it too but the portrait bezels are too damn small

I need a case because my thumbs keep touching the actual screen when I'm just trying to hold it

no idea why they made the portrait bezels so freakishly small and the landscape bezels so freakishly big...

it feels better to me in landscape as a result more to grip

oh and that nav bar will be the first thing to go when I finally install a custom rom

hate that thing because it takes up screen space.

Top Bottom