• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Sanjuro

Any comic book readers out there have this? if so how good is it for reading comics? been looking for a $200ish tablet for comic reading.

It's simply amazing.

Purchase Nexus 7.
Download Komik and ComiXology applications.
Enjoy.

You're going to want the 16GB to keep a healthy library on the device. Other way around, load up Google Drive and Dropbox with content.

smr00

Banned
It's simply amazing.

Purchase Nexus 7.
Download Komik and ComiXology applications.
Enjoy.

You're going to want the 16GB to keep a healthy library on the device. Other way around, load up Google Drive and Dropbox with content.
ComiXology only allows comics you buy from them right? what about comics purchased from other places? or maybe my own CBR/CBZ scans from my own issues? is there any program that lets you load them? any that lets you do panel to panel?

I'm curious, how much disc space does a single comic on Comixology take up? I've always wanted a tablet for comic reading cause collecting single issues takes up so much physical space

Sanjuro

ComiXology only allows comics you buy from them right? what about comics purchased from other places? or maybe my own CBR/CBZ scans from my own issues? is there any program that lets you load them? any that lets you do panel to panel?

ComiXology is for direct digital purchases, like iTunes for comic books.

Komik is a optimized application allowing you to do CBR/CBZ/PDF/etc. It won't do panel to panel however. The only application I've noticed this in is Amazon Kindle's application. It still shows the whole page, but you can click on a comic panel and have it expand. Kindle has some lone issues, but primarily trade paperback volumes.

is there anyway to keep apps like youtube running in the background when you switch to something else, kind of like how spotify works?

For just audio? Dunno. You could use overscreen or whatever it's called. It's one of those new fangled floating window apps that do the same job that the GS3 allows. Ahh, sorry it's called..

Stick It

Click for the Play Store link :)

Dunlop

Does Marvel unlimited need to be streaming as you read the comic or can you download issues in advance? I had no idea that service even existed, sound awesome for $60

(placing this question here because of all the recent comic talk)

Cartman86

Banned
Is there anyway to get texts on my phone sent to this, and receive texts, even if I don't have an android phone?

So here's the deal with Google Voice though. You'll get a new number. If you had a phone you could link your old number up with this new one so phone calls and voice mails would come through it. Nowhere though could you link it up so text messages that go to your old number come in through Google Voice. So essentially you would need to tell everyone your new Google Voice number if you want to get texts on your tablet. Also Voice does not support MMS yet (picture messaging). So if none of this is a problem it might work for you. I use it and love having logs of all my calls, texts, and voicemails available on the web wherever I am.

Perfect Viewer and Comic Crack are the best in my eyes for your custom library.

DarkFlow

Banned
So here's the deal with Google Voice though. You'll get a new number. If you had a phone you could link your old number up with this new one so phone calls and voice mails would come through it. Nowhere though could you link it up so text messages that go to your old number come in through Google Voice. So essentially you would need to tell everyone your new Google Voice number if you want to get texts on your tablet. Also Voice does not support MMS yet (picture messaging). So if none of this is a problem it might work for you.

It does support mms if the person sending it happens to be on sprints network. Just make sure you have the send to email option checked in settings.

Sanjuro

So here's the deal with Google Voice though. You'll get a new number. If you had a phone you could link your old number up with this new one so phone calls and voice mails would come through it. Nowhere though could you link it up so text messages that go to your old number come in through Google Voice. So essentially you would need to tell everyone your new Google Voice number if you want to get texts on your tablet. Also Voice does not support MMS yet (picture messaging). So if none of this is a problem it might work for you. I use it and love having logs of all my calls, texts, and voicemails available on the web wherever I am.

On the Nexus, Komik is the best. Perfect Viewer for phone is still the best.

th3dude

So I'm pretty sure Google didn't actually ship on Friday/Saturday. I think they printed shipping labels and sent out emails to shut us up and will ship tomorrow.

My UPS tracking number hasn't updated at all. Still shows that only the label has printed.

Anyone with a tracking number have anything different?

kehs

Banned
So I'm pretty sure Google didn't actually ship on Friday/Saturday. I think they printed shipping labels and sent out emails to shut us up and will ship tomorrow.

My UPS tracking number hasn't updated at all. Still shows that only the label has printed.

Seems they treat tracking numbers like they do OS updates.

Cartman86

Banned

I signed up for My UPS on Friday and today I got an email alert saying Scheduled Delivery Date: Monday, 07/16/2012

but yeah that tracking page still hasn't updated. Maybe because of the weekend.

Owzers

Does Marvel unlimited need to be streaming as you read the comic or can you download issues in advance? I had no idea that service even existed, sound awesome for $60

(placing this question here because of all the recent comic talk)

I'm pretty sure you have to be online and can't download issues for MDCU. It's the Marvel Comics App that lets you download them.

Binabik15

Is this thing a good size to look at pictures with text on them (in form of ebooks).

I'm going to buy a tablet before mid-October, because I really want a tablet to look at my anatomy books instead of lugging several books that weight almost a kg each every time I visit my family or go somewhere outside of my room to learn.

7" screen seems a bit small, drawing it out on paper, but 10" tablets have huge dimensions. 9" might be a good compromise, but there don't seem to be that many of those. Can't go to a store and look at different tablet sizes right now, total crunchtime and the tech stores are far out of town.

The price* and weight seems really good, tough, so I'm open to the idea of getting one.

*unless the double it or something for € countries.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I palm the whole thing, so my fingers don't really come anywhere near the screen. Plus it feels more balanced that way.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Provided it has full access to the Play store, it should be able to play nearly anything. Mobo/Dice etc have software decoding that can play just about any kind of file.
I believe some apps can even play *.iso files.

Cartman86

Banned
Guys what type of video files does this thing play? only MP4s?

Tegra 3 supports decoding 1080p video for

H.264 (HP @ 40Mbps)
VC-1 AP
MPEG2
MPEG-4
DivX 4/5
XviD HT
H.263
Theora
VP8
WMV
Sorenson Spark
Real Video
VP6

Many video player apps on the market support other formats like MKV and Flash. Don't know how well they work yet though on the Nexus 7. They work perfect on Galaxy Nexus which is a different chip.

Emily Chu

Banned
hell yeah for anyone on 4.1.1 that wants to unlock and root
http://www.wugfresh.com/dev/nexus-root-toolkit/

updated to 1.5.2 and supports 4.1.1 OTA unlocking and rooting

did mines a couple of hours ago (still running stock rom though)

disabled the damn Nav Bar and started using LMT Pie APK 1.4 just like my Gnex
t2m9Zl.jpg

the blank spot is where my finger would be or is it o_O !

ignore the cutted out T-Mobile spring board screen protector cutted shittly to fit

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
http://www.wugfresh.com/

did mines a couple of hours ago

oVTgol.jpg

Woah, I like that that LMT Pie thing.

DarkFlow

Banned
Is this thing a good size to look at pictures with text on them (in form of ebooks).

I'm going to buy a tablet before mid-October, because I really want a tablet to look at my anatomy books instead of lugging several books that weight almost a kg each every time I visit my family or go somewhere outside of my room to learn.

7" screen seems a bit small, drawing it out on paper, but 10" tablets have huge dimensions. 9" might be a good compromise, but there don't seem to be that many of those. Can't go to a store and look at different tablet sizes right now, total crunchtime and the tech stores are far out of town.

The price* and weight seems really good, tough, so I'm open to the idea of getting one.

*unless the double it or something for € countries.
This is a screen shot of the nexus 7 with the free Bourne book I got. Should be the same res as my screen.
mUGEU.png

Emily Chu

Banned
Woah, I like that that LMT Pie thingy!

first you gotta unlock and root first though

then install LMT pie APK 1.4
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1330150

and then install this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1497558
Fullscreen toggle apk (reboot once for it to take effect)

boom never see the damn nav bar again (unless you want to)

also modded the pixel density to 178 dpi from the original 213 dpi fit more stuff on the screen with an app called android Overclock from the play store

full screen 1280x800 Nexus 7 master race is you

kehs

Banned

oVTgol.jpg

ignore the cutted out T-Mobile spring board screen protector cutted shittly to fit

You totally have the soft keys in the wrong order.

Phoenix

oVTgol.jpg

Why would you white out your own hand?

ReRixo

Banned
Would a pen accesory work with this? It's the one extra feature I wish the Nexus had.

Also, I'd mainly use the device for reading ebooks, magazines, and occasionaly manga. Do you guys find the 16:9 display suits reading?

Emily Chu

Banned
You totally have the soft keys in the wrong order.

no it's better because I figured the task switcher is the most used button so I have that in the middle.

but it's customizable

see you in hell nav bar!!!

also launch apps and toggle stuff with the lmt pie thingy.

works in both portrait and horizontal, touch the edge of the screen middle

best thing about it is

it doesn't take up a permanent space on the screen like the stock nav bar

there when you need it not when you don't

Google should make this stock tbh and add freaking browser quick pie controls to CHROME!!!! and ahem flash <_<

I miss ICS browser + because it doesn't work without the stock "Browser framework"

Blackhead

Redarse
Would a pen accesory work with this? It's the one extra feature I wish the Nexus had.

Also, I'd mainly use the device for reading ebooks, magazines, and occasionaly manga. Do you guys find the 16:9 display suits reading?
It'll accept the same stylus accessories as the iPad.
i.e. a 'real' pen accessory won't work

The display is 16:10

Cartman86

Banned

As long as the pen works on capacitive touch screens (iphones, Android etc.) then yeah. Doesn't have a great digitizer so you're not going to be making works of art.

Top Bottom