• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

kehs

Banned
no it's better because I figured the task switcher is the most used button so I have that in the middle.

but it's customizable

see you in hell nav bar!!!

also launch apps and toggle stuff with the lmt pie thingy.

works in both portrait and horizontal, touch the edge of the screen middle

best thing about it is

it doesn't take up a permanent space on the screen like the stock nav bar

there when you need it not when you don't

Google should make this stock tbh and add freaking browser quick pie controls to CHROME!!!! and ahem flash <_<

I miss ICS browser + because it doesn't work without the stock "Browser framework"

I just realized why you keep complaining about the lack of quick controls. I just remembers there's no stock browser on the N7. -_-

Have you tried sideloading the browser of browser+?

OT: lol

Emily Chu

Banned
PgSwLl.jpg

@_@

Emily Chu

Banned
I just realized why you keep complaining about the lack of quick controls. I just remembers there's no stock browser on the N7. -_-

yeah I have extacted the apk from my gnex titatium backup

it installed and everything but theres no "stock browser" so when it loads up it just force closes : (

Google fix this shit!!! don't take away features quick controls was genius for the stock browser!!

eMrDll.png

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beansoft.browserplus&hl=en

This is a good question actually.

What's Chrome like on the Nexus 7? Cos I still prefer the stock browser on the Galaxy Nexus to Chrome. It's definitely smoother, though I do get annoyed when I run out of tabs and the stock browser hasn't been so good on tablets compared to phones.

Also is the stock browser available on the Play Store for the N7? Or would I have to rip the APK from my Galaxy Nexus?

DarkFlow

Banned
So i just used goggle wallet at McDonalds to pay for my lunch. I amazed them all with it's magic lol. Ive had that free $10 for awhile but the wallet on my galaxy nexus broke so i used the 7 to do it.

Shuusui

Walked into a Sam's Club today to buy one... told I couldn't because of a patent suit and that I'd have to come back once they got the OK from HQ. So annoyed right now...

Lexxon

first you gotta unlock and root first though

then install LMT pie APK 1.4
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1330150

and then install this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1497558
Fullscreen toggle apk (reboot once for it to take effect)

boom never see the damn nav bar again (unless you want to)

also modded the pixel density to 178 dpi from the original 213 dpi fit more stuff on the screen with an app called android Overclock from the play store

full screen 1280x800 Nexus 7 master race is you

Whoa, I hadn't seen this. I think I like the nav bar on my Nexus, but on the tablet I'd rather have the extra screen space. Definitely going to try this out whenever I actually get one.

Told myself I'd wait until some kind of deal came around (Staples coupon, I successfully sell my TF101, etc.) but I'm really tempted to start calling around GameStops and Office Depots to see if they're in stock...

Salaadin

Is this thing easy to root and unlock? Ill still get any and all future updates without worry if i do, right?

I know you have to wipe all data before doing it so id rather do it right away.

Shuusui

Shipping off to Arizona for work on 7/28... what are the chances that I could get one delivered by then by ordering from Google Play?

Lace

Shipping off to Arizona for work on 7/28... what are the chances that I could get one delivered by then by ordering from Google Play?
I'm not to sure anyone could give you a definitive answer. This release is a cluster fuck with little regards to future shipments.

DarkFlow

Banned
Walked into a Sam's Club today to buy one... told I couldn't because of a patent suit and that I'd have to come back once they got the OK from HQ. So annoyed right now...
Tell then they are dumb and to check there email. I got mine at the San Diego Sam's club with no problems.

SuperPac

I'd really, really like to see a package from Google on my doorstep tomorrow...

Me too, however, after all the rigamarole of the last few days and since the tracking number hasn't even shown up on UPS I'm guessing it's sitting in a warehouse somewhere and probably won't actually ship (via 2-day) until tomorrow at which point we're talking Wednesday delivery. :'(

Cipherr

Why are there like 3 rows to your quick options? I just get one. I actually love the quick shortcuts, they just have to find a way to make it interact better. Sometimes I'm trying to tap an icon on the edge of the screen and trigger the quick options instead. So I turned them off, even though its hard to live without once you have tried it. They will probably change it to only trigger via an actual swipe gesture versus letting it trigger on a tap near the bezel, then it would be perfect.

Every major mobile browser is going to rip that off in some form I bet. Its just sooooo nice.

Lol it was awkward but i wanted to use my free $10! Also i just got a system update but it did not chabge version numbers.

Ya don't sayyyy.. Man I cannot imagine that lol.

To any Aussies, EB will have these in their warehouse Friday and in-stores early next week. Still not sure if I'll pick up my preorder from EB and cancel the Google order or the other way around.

NawidA

Banned
Trying to think of what I would be missing going to Android. Looking for quality replacements for:

Tweetbot
Colloquy (IRC client)
iA Writer (word processor)
Air Video (lets me stream video from home server to device)
Downcast (podcast client)
Goodreader
Paper
Notability

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Siegler is what Apple-haters imagine Gruber to be.

I don't know who Siegler is but Gruber has always been a class-A asshole. Doesn't have anything to do with his affinity for Apple. The guy is just a massive douche.

Cipherr

MG Siegler on the 7.

"I like the Nexus 7. I really like it".

I think I remember this guy, didn't he do a Nexus review too? Spent nearly the entire talking about nothing but Apple. I learned next to nothing about the actual device he was reviewing. If this isn't that guy I apologize, if it is, I wonder why they continue to send him review units. I suppose its fair, but Jesus.

This reads similar to that aforementioned review so this makes me think this is that same guy. Its nice that he liked it and all, but I don't really get why he bothers.

Trying to think of what I would be missing going to Android. Looking for quality replacements for:

Tweetbot
Colloquy (IRC client)
iA Writer (word processor)
Air Video (lets me stream video from home server to device)
Downcast (podcast client)
Goodreader
Paper
Notability

You should repost this mid day tomorrow, will be a lot more Gaffers on to get you Apps for these. Its a little late ATM. I also need an IRC client so I hope you get some replies.

Cartman86

Banned
Tweetbot - Plume or TweetCaster
Colloquy (IRC client) - AndChat
iA Writer - Google Docs/Drive I guess. I'm sure there are others that are more dedicated to that.
Air Video - If you are going for streaming with DLNA then there are a variety of apps for that. iMediaShare, aVia Media Player are some i've used. Or you could set up Plex on your home server and use it as an XBMC type app.
Downcast (podcast client) - I like PocketCasts or there is also Dogcatcher or doubleTwist
Goodreader - Not sure. Adobe has an official pdf reader, and Perfect Viewer supports pdfs too.
Paper - Not sure.
Notability - There are a ton of note taking apps. Evernote is probably the most popular though that was on iOS so i'm assuming you didn't like it? Try this maybe

I would just go browsing the play store and see if you can find anything.

PS: Hey anyone who has the Nexus 7 could you download Plume and see if actually goes into Tablet mode?

DarkFlow

Banned
Why are there like 3 rows to your quick options? I just get one. I actually love the quick shortcuts, they just have to find a way to make it interact better. Sometimes I'm trying to tap an icon on the edge of the screen and trigger the quick options instead. So I turned them off, even though its hard to live without once you have tried it. They will probably change it to only trigger via an actual swipe gesture versus letting it trigger on a tap near the bezel, then it would be perfect.

Every major mobile browser is going to rip that off in some form I bet. Its just sooooo nice.

Ya don't sayyyy.. Man I cannot imagine that lol.
It stopped being awkward when it paid for it, then they wanted one. Your welcome Google.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm struggling to get through this "review" and it really reminds me of a well-written but totally self-absorbed Livejournal post circa 2005 or so. It just assumes the reader has been following the entire "An Apple Lover's Take..." series and know who MG Siegler is.

Which if you don't, congrats, I wish I could have stayed ignorant for so long. No seriously, I really do.

Unfortunately for all of us, Siegler's bent on using any megaphone he can get his hands on to spout his thoughts.

Top Bottom