• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Cartman86

Banned
And the difference between Google's browser-based reader and Android app are perplexing. Hopefully all these problems will be ironed out in the future.

Google's browser-based reader:

Fantastic dictionary lookup (actually much more than a dictionary....it's a filtered web search).
Good note-taking capability.
Horrible text search (does not find all instances of the word you are searching for).

Google's app-based reader:

No dictionary lookup.
No note-taking capability.
Good text search (actually finds what you are looking for).

Yeah it's always seemed like Google really knows web apps, but not standard apps.

mil6es

I know it's a small thing but in all the reviews whenever someone done a Google voice search the result produced an voice answer, picture and supporting info. All I get is the voice answer and no picture, anyone got any idea why.?

Cartman86

Banned
I know it's a small thing but in all the reviews whenever someone done a Google voice search the result produced an voice answer, picture and supporting info. All I get is the voice answer and no picture, anyone got any idea why.?

I've had this happen on my Galaxy Nexus. Working fine on the 7 so far. When I looked it up before people were saying it had something to do with location services.

Why does nobody want to explain the "creaky" thing?

Conspiracy. Mine is fine.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Whoa. Just checked the google nexus page and saw that they have a delivery time of 3-5 days. I thought there were massive shortages of these things? Was that just the first round of shipments/preorders?

Izick

I've had this happen on my Galaxy Nexus. Working fine on the 7 so far. When I looked it up before people were saying it had something to do with location services.

Conspiracy. Mine is fine.
So is mine, I just want to know what they were experiencing exactly.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Whoa. Just checked the google nexus page and saw that they have a delivery time of 3-5 days. I thought there were massive shortages of these things? Was that just the first round of shipments/preorders?
I think the 16gb models are taking a lot longer to ship.

e_i

Best player for mkvs? I've heard that Vplayer is great, and MXplayer...but don't have to d/l another codec file (which one for the Nexus 7)?

Izick

Unscientific, obviously, but still impressive. I was worried about the screen durability, since it's not using Gorilla Glass, but it seems to still be pretty tough.
I'm curious as to why the iPad's screen got so fucked up, while the n7's came out fairly unscathed? I thought the whole gorilla glass gimmick was that it's super tough?

Hawthorns

If I were to delete the Transformers movie that comes pre-installed. I'd be able to download it again for free should I want to, right?

Izick

So can we start making like a list of best apps for certain things? I'm still curious if there's any better browser than chrome, or any better free music streaming app than Pandora?

The body on the N7 is all plasticky and probably more shock absorbent than the aluminium case of the iPad.
I guess. I just expected more from that hype gorilla glass has.

Cipherr

I'm curious as to why the iPad's screen got so fucked up, while the n7's came out fairly unscathed? I thought the whole gorilla glass gimmick was that it's super tough?

GG is more scratch resistant, but its not magic super glass by any means. A few sprinkles of sand on your Gorilla Glass following by some pressure with scratch that shit up good. And its still prone to falls and cracks.

Its lovely for what it is, more scratch resistant, but it is still glass. The hype surrounding it is probably a bit high, but the praise they get for it is deserved because outside of a few instances, it really does repel scratches.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
What's the best manga reader for the tablet? I'm trying to use Manga Searcher with Perfect Viewer but the latter can't seem to be able to see hidden folders.

adroit

If I were to delete the Transformers movie that comes pre-installed. I'd be able to download it again for free should I want to, right?
I believe it's streamed (unless you pinned it). It's not using up storage space. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Emily Chu

Banned
The body on the N7 is all plasticky and probably more shock absorbent than the aluminium case of the iPad.

the screen is coming the fuck off though at the seams.... it seems

I'm going to get the official case so it can hold it's guts in...
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/30441-video-google-nexus-7-tablet-asus-case-review/

when it gets extra hot from playing a game or something the screen becomes creaky and when it's cooled down again it's ok.... the fuck ?
shit google...

idk wether to sell it on CL for 300$ and just make back the difference.... or not and wait for a better built tablet to come along.

I got my nexus 7 from google.. and it is far less creaky (barely any movement at all) when pressing on the screen.

I opened it up anyway.. just to compare to the one that I'm returning to sam's club.. it feels a lot more tightly manufactured inside

The one I bought from sam's club:

1. Foam on the back case that is off center and looks sloppily placed
2. the piece of foam that cushions some of the internals is very squishy
3. some of the ribbon cables inside seem to be longer than needed, leaving more travel room between them and the pcb inside.

The one that came from google -

1. Rear foam is properly aligned and placed
2. the foam that cushions the internals is very dense and does not move much
3. Cables seem closer to the pcb and do not travel as far

I'm thinking it's the foam that is making the biggest difference.. If you open it up and see a black piece of foam over some black electrical tape on the left side of the tablet, is it thick and squishy or dense and firm?

kehs

Banned
the screen is coming the fuck off though at the seams.... it seems

I'm going to get the official case so it can hold it's guts in...
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/30441-video-google-nexus-7-tablet-asus-case-review/

when it gets extra hot from playing a game or something the screen becomes creaky and when it's cooled down again it's ok.... the fuck ?
shit google...

idk wether to sell it on CL for 300$ and just make back the difference.... or not and wait for a better built tablet to come along.

I don't even have mine and you've gone from "I don't need one cause of my GN" to "Selling it and waiting for another one 7 in". =P

Why not just exchange it and see if it was just a lemon.

Thats how I feel too. The device itself is fantastic and I really am liking the OS but man the app store is really really bad. And the store itself is just messy, not sure how to explain it.Even factoring in phone apps. Still is going to be my primary e-reader device due to its size.

well, there's tons of emulators on the store, thats for sure!

Schlep

Finally received mine today. Have to say it was worth the wait, and definitely a huge upgrade from my first gen Transformer. Can't say I would go back to a 10.1" tablet at this point.

surly

Banned
I'm loving mine!

Mine has a very slight imperfection on the silver bezel on the upper left hand side. It's just a small mark, but because it's new and I know that it's there I keep noticing it. Haha. It's otherwise perfect, so I'm not going through the hassle of returning it for something so minor, plus it'll be covered up anyway once I have a case.

After seeing a review of the official case I decided not to wait for it to go on sale in the UK, so I've taken a punt on one of these: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008FXSC9U/

EDIT - The only thing I really wish this tablet had is the SmartStay feature that my S3 has which keeps the screen on when you're looking at it.

bob page

So I take it the official case isn't magnetized?

Nope. I'd probably wait on an updated model.

Apparently, someone on SA with the creaky screen issue got home to find their screen cracked on its own (without it being touched, moved, etc). Could be from temperature, humidity, off-pressure screen, etc, so look out.

K5EhK.jpg

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Ohhhh, been waiting to see what Squaretrade would do for the Nexus 7. So glad to see they have a great deal on Nexus 7 Warranties. Will be buying one when I get mine.

Mairu

Cool. My order from this past Sunday (July 15) just arrived today! I didn't even receive the shipping notice until today, but it's already here.

Emily Chu

Banned
I don't even have mine and you've gone from "I don't need one cause of my GN" to "Selling it and waiting for another one 7 in". =P

Why not just exchange it and see if it was just a lemon.

idk man hasssssssssles thats why : L

plus i'm too invested in it now, it's either all or nothing at this point

too lazy already unlocked and rooted, settled in

it's not a deal breaker, I just like to keep my options open 300$ is not bad for me just to say fuck it all and break even and then move on to the next flavor of the month.

I checked out some youtube vids and so far people seem to like the nexus a lot, it makes me want one even though I own an ipad, my only android is my silly 800mhz phone.

Cartman86

Banned
idk man hasssssssssles thats why : L

plus i'm too invested in it now, it's either all or nothing at this point

too lazy already unlocked and rooted, settled in

it's not a deal breaker, I just like to keep my options open 300$ is not bad for me just to say fuck it all and break even and then move on to the next flavor of the month.

Don't think they really care if you root it. Could always re-lock and unroot it too.

Emily Chu

Banned
Don't think they really care if you root it. Could always re-lock and unroot it too.

well thats not it though, I've grown quite attached to the damn thing now

as in too lazy to do it all again if I get a new one as well

root, unlock, apply screen protector, customize etc etc etc

I think I'm just gonna keep this one though.

Cartman86

Banned
well thats not it though, I've grown quite attached to the damn thing now

as in too lazy to do it all again if I get a new one as well

root, unlock, apply screen protector, customize etc etc etc

I think I'm just gonna keep this one though.

Yeah I understand completely. I would probably do the same thing.

Salaadin

Cool. My order from this past Sunday (July 15) just arrived today! I didn't even receive the shipping notice until today, but it's already here.

Wtf! This makes no sense, Google!

Some Americans on xda started getting shipping notices today so i hope I'm close behind. They have the money now so i don't know what the holdup is.

Mairu

Is a screen protector necessary for this? Asking before I open & start using this. I've never really used one on my phone.

Top Bottom