• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

BFIB

Looking to add some widgets and customize my home screen.

Anyone care to share some good widgets to use, or share their home screen with the listing of apps they have installed?

Anyone care to share some good widgets to use, or share their home screen with the listing of apps they have installed?

I downloaded that 'Widgets HD' app with some of my free credit so that I could get a nice looking clock on the home page. Haven't really found it useful for anything else. Might stick spotify on it and see if there's a widget for that.

I also have that 'Beautiful widgets' app from my SII but I'm not sure if it supports tablets.

Yeah, my home screen is kind of barren.

I have all of my standbys in folders in the bottom bar, and then the Amazon Music Player right above it. And that's it.

I kind of like it with a lot of open space, but I feel like I need at least one more thing.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really want one of these. I'm gonna sell my Macbook Pro, get a sweet ass desktop PC, and use the Nexus 7 for my portable computer needs. Having an MBP has been nice, but I'm too damned paranoid to even take it outside. And at home I'm constantly afraid I'm going to spill a glass of water on it, hah. It's an amazing machine, but I'd rather have a beastly desktop for home and a super portable tablet on the go.

At this point, I think I'm going to wait to find one in-store somewhere. I'd pre-order from the Play store or whatever, but with all the defective models, I want to be able to return it locally if I need to. I guess I'll be calling my Best Buy and Staples every day till they finally have it in, hah.

Edit : I'm gonna sell my iPod Touch, too. We'll see if I have Apple product withdrawals, heh.

Salaadin

Why doesnt the Nexus 7 show up under My Devices on the Play store when I access it from a PC? Ive connected to my account and downloaded some apps already but it wont let me do it from PC

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Why doesnt the Nexus 7 show up under My Devices on the Play store when I access it from a PC? Ive connected to my account and downloaded some apps already but it wont let me do it from PC

I think it takes a few hours for it to show up on there.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
The N7 has become my go to browsing device around the house. I'll probably end up taking it out more than my iPad (probably), I just love the 7 inch form factor.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I found a copy at a local store! Gonna pick it up in a few hours.

I have a question, though: what type of defects should I look out for? I've heard about creakiness...? And loose screws, maybe?

The N7 has become my go to browsing device around the house. I'll probably end up taking it out more than my iPad (probably), I just love the 7 inch form factor.
Good to hear. I imagine I'll prefer browsing the internet on it over using my laptop.

Salaadin

Im not too crazy about that cheapo case from Amazon. It looks nice enough but it just doesnt feel sturdy and it sucks as a stand. Have to shop around for something good.

e_i

Small review:

I had a problem this morning with it, slow and programs would crash...but I rebooted it and now it's fine. Weird.
Wow...this is thinner than I thought it would be. And light.
Hulu doesn't work--it crashes. Netflix and CR do work.
Google Now is fucking creepy. It started tracking me as I as going to work--when I got to work, it put up a message saying there was traffic jam near to my work. When I asked for the current temperature, it told me verbally the current temperature. When I asked for other stuff, it would throw up just websites.
This thing is FAST. Quad core baby.
720p mkvs with softsubs run great (with MX Player). 1080p with softsubs...not so much. H10 video, forget it. 1080p mp4 videos run great.

Now if my case would arrive for Amazon.

Salaadin

Google Now seems so cool and something that will just get better the more you use it. Does anyone know if it syncs across devices...like if I ever get JB on my GNex, will they share the same info back and forth? If so, awesome.

I see it tracks sports teams too but it wont let me edit the teams. Is this because it needs to pick them up by itself?

I didnt realize the device would be so palm-able. It fits nicely into one hand and is remarkably light.
Comics and manga look great. Theyre a main reason why I bought this so I am thrilled.

Anyone have any good tablet-ready apps I should check out? Some cool widgets would be expecially nice.

Just found a stack of 16GB models at Staples. Even managed to snag a 10% discount on one! :)

Excited to open it up and play with it as soon as I finish work today!

SimleuqiR

Google Now seems so cool and something that will just get better the more you use it. Does anyone know if it syncs across devices...like if I ever get JB on my GNex, will they share the same info back and forth? If so, awesome.

Yes. Search on the Tuna, and it would still collect/review your queries and show you relative (for the most part) information:

Screenshot_2012-07-20-13-36-11.png

I searched for Sparrow Email client on my desktop, after hearing Google bought them. Read TheVerge's review for it. Later that card pops up on my Tuna, telling me is going to take me about an hour or so to go have a drink at Sparrow's.

Never bean there. LOL still needs work I guess.

Hieberrr

Finally got it! Whoo!

App selection is extremely poor :( and I despise/have pure hatred for ICS launchers. The launchers are so fucking boring. I need my MIUI launcher back :(

I put the tiniest of tiny chips in the top left corner of the bezel. Oh noes!

(Clearly, I'm still in that phase where I freak out over ever little imperfection, but it will soon pass and the thing will be beat up to all hell.)

RickD

Small review:

I had a problem this morning with it, slow and programs would crash...but I rebooted it and now it's fine. Weird.
Wow...this is thinner than I thought it would be. And light.
Hulu doesn't work--it crashes. Netflix and CR do work.
Google Now is fucking creepy. It started tracking me as I as going to work--when I got to work, it put up a message saying there was traffic jam near to my work. When I asked for the current temperature, it told me verbally the current temperature. When I asked for other stuff, it would throw up just websites.
This thing is FAST. Quad core baby.
720p mkvs with softsubs run great (with MX Player). 1080p with softsubs...not so much. H10 video, forget it. 1080p mp4 videos run great.

Now if my case would arrive for Amazon.

Try Diceplayer. It plays 1080p mkv's on my GS2 perfectly

DagsJT

Anyone know how to disable the keyboard typing sound? I've disabled the touch sounds but it doesn't seem to affect the keyboard.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Got mine! The touch screen was totally borked when I first powered it on. Touches wouldn't register consistently AT ALL. It was awful. But I turned it off and back on and now it works perfectly. So yay.

TxdoHawk

Anyone know how to disable the keyboard typing sound? I've disabled the touch sounds but it doesn't seem to affect the keyboard.

Seperate options for input methods. Go to Settings -> Language & input -> Tap the settings icon to the right of Android Keyboard -> Uncheck "Sound on keypress".

Edit: Whoops, beaten handily.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I really didn't expect that this tablet would have this much word of mouth surrounding it. I can't think of a single person that has ever come up to me while I've used my iPad, be it work or some other public area, and asked me about the device.

In the last 2 days with the Nexus I've had coworkers, friends, doctors and complete strangers strike up conversations about it. Some had way more tech-driven questions I couldn't answer (ie: how much better is Jelly-Bean over ICS?), but everyone seemed pleased with the speed and feel of the UI. I've taken to using my iPad 3 as a really expensive wifi hotspot for my Nexus, which is somewhat perverse.

In love with FBReader for epubs, but I've yet to find a good music client for UPNP streams. I'm tempted to upload music onto Google's servers to use the native player, but my collection exceeds 100GB and, frankly, that'll take forever to upload.

kehs

Banned
I really didn't expect that this tablet would have this much word of mouth surrounding it. I can't think of a single person that has ever come up to me while I've used my iPad, be it work or some other public area, and asked me about the device.

In the last 2 days with the Nexus I've had coworkers, friends, doctors and complete strangers strike up conversations about it. Some had way more tech-driven questions I couldn't answer (ie: how much better is Jelly-Bean over ICS?), but everyone seemed pleased with the speed and feel of the UI. I've taken to using my iPad 3 as a really expensive wifi hotspot for my Nexus, which is somewhat perverse.

In love with FBReader for epubs, but I've yet to find a good music client for UPNP streams. I'm tempted to upload music onto Google's servers to use the native player, but my collection exceeds 100GB and, frankly, that'll take forever to upload.

Google Music player is pretty good now with their latest update. I'm in love with the fact they finally implement a "now playing" queue that you can organize/add/go back to. Brings back good memories of my Rio Karma (RIP).

Uploading is a one time thing, but then you'll have access to your music anywhere you are. I didn't much of it at first, but I get so irritated when I forget to upload new music because in the back of my mind it's "always available".

Chameleon on Nexus 7.....this thing looks beastly.

I absolutely love their multi touch manipulation, about time developers start taking advantage of our fingers.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...test-chameleon-launcher-build-on-the-nexus-7/

Really excited to see this thing when it comes out. Have been following them since their KS campaign. :)

After playing with the N7 for awhile today, I am blown away by how much better it is than the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet. It's an incredibly awesome tablet though I wish the screen was just a bit bigger. It is hard to read text on pdf files. :(

DagsJT

So what apps are people mainly using their N7 for? I've not done too much besides playing a few games and browsing so looking for some interesting stuff.

Hoping Flipboard gets a tablet update, doesn't look great on the N7.

Cipherr

Chameleon on Nexus 7.....this thing looks beastly.

I absolutely love their multi touch manipulation, about time developers start taking advantage of our fingers.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...test-chameleon-launcher-build-on-the-nexus-7/

Jeeeeeeesus Christ.

So what apps are people mainly using their N7 for? I've not done too much besides playing a few games and browsing so looking for some interesting stuff.

Hoping Flipboard gets a tablet update, doesn't look great on the N7.

Same, Flipboard is insanely good on phones, it looks and feels fantastic.

B-Dex

This thread is terrible. Pages and pages and pages and pages and pages of people moaning about shipping. No actual talk of the N7.

Thanks for the impressions!

th3dude

I remember someone posted a tweak to speed up your N7 but I can't find the post, anyone has the guide to it?

I remember someone suggesting to tweak the animation speed. Was that it?

It's under Settings > Dev Options > Window Animation Scale/Transition Animation Scale

Doesn't 'improve performance' technically, but makes it feel snappier.

Top Bottom