• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
After a few hours of off and on use, I've got nothing but glowingly happy fuzzy feelings. Love this thing.

Oh, one question: How do I use the camera?

Chorazin

I finally got my N7 delivered today, when I was in the middle of tearing apart a Genesis 2 to figure out why it wasn't turning on.

After checking on the the N7, I realized I needed to pop off the back and tighten the screws to fix the screen lifting issue.

Don't you ever change, technology!

Dizzan

MINI Member
So there are rumours that the 16gb is currently out of stock.

Early Pre-orders like mine are going unfulfilled.

LOL Google

Indigo

After a few hours of off and on use, I've got nothing but glowingly happy fuzzy feelings. Love this thing.

Instagram or another photo app. There is no built in picture taking ability. They built it with video in mind.

The e-mail the Google Nexus 7 team sent out seems to have been a lie. It's 7PM PST and they failed on their promise to ship this week. I wonder what's next? Did anyone else's pre-order go unfilled?

Cipherr

So there are rumours that the 16gb is currently out of stock.

If true, its going to probably start to generate bad press now. Im sure they are happy there's so much interest in an Android tablet. I don't think aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyone could have predicted that. But nonetheless, if they run out of stock and cause a massive delay, they are goddamn idiots.

Izick

I feel like I've had such an alien experience, in comparison to neatly everyone else. I picked one up on launch day, and it seems to work without any hitches. (knock on wood)

I feel that Google is such a front-runner in so many ways, but it's still so green and inexperienced in other ways. They lost money here. They lost possible sales, and they lost possible positive PR. Such a shame. Thankfully this product is so good it will make it an overall positive venture in the long run.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Instagram or another photo app. There is no built in picture taking ability. They built it with video in mind.
Actually, there is. The just revomed the shortcut for the camera app on the Nexus 7. It's possible to download it from Google Play.

Cartman86

Banned

There is an app called Camera Launcher for Nexus 7. It's the standard Android camera app. I think it just activates it too. Already on the device.

Blastoise

Banned
How awkward is the bezel(?) when using the device. When looking at pics of the Nexus 7 it always seems too big/out of proportioned.

Beyond annoyed that we still have NO info on when Best Buy will have this in store. All the impressions have me wanting one so bad and it seems impossible to find anywhere else in retail.

Patience I suppose.. keep the impressions coming and screen shots!

Have you tried Staples? Mine had a quite a few when I went there today.

U2NUMB

Have you tried Staples? Mine had a quite a few when I went there today.

I will check out the one near by tomorrow.. the only place I did not check. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: According to their website the staples near me does not carry this item. There is one 12 miles away with low stock..

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There is an app called Camera Launcher for Nexus 7. It's the standard Android camera app. I think it just activates it too. Already on the device.
I couldn't find whatever you were talking about, but I searched "camera nexus 7" in the Play store and found something adequate. Thanks, tho!

I will check out the one near by tomorrow.. the only place I did not check. Thanks for the tip!
I ended up getting mine at an Office Depot. Try them, too.

You can check their stock online as well. If they have one, ask to join their shopping club or whatever they call it. You'll get 5% off of the Nexus.

Edit: According to their website the staples near me does not carry this item. There is one 12 miles away with low stock..

Low stock means less than 10 units. Most stores only got 5-10 of them. :)

Cartman86

Banned
How awkward is the bezel(?) when using the device. When looking at pics of the Nexus 7 it always seems too big/out of proportioned.

These are the ways I can hold it comfortably and not accidently touch the screen.
NkOqw.jpg
pbh4K.jpg

This will hurt after an hour. Probably because i'm a skinny weakling.

This hurts my wrist.

Hold it like this and you will touch the screen :(

MrJames

I got my $4 Amazon case! It's closed magnetically, dunno if it's a smart cover though. The stylus holder is a bit annoying though.

Counting down the days til I'm back home, where my Nexus 7 awaits me. :(

Although hey wait... it doesn't seem to flip open into a stand. :( WTF

I ordered my 16GB N7 last Friday and got this for $4 as well. It showed up today and it's definitely not the case in the picture. Judging by the reviews it seems to have happened to everyone. Not sure if anything is being done about it.

Cartman86

Banned
I ordered my 16GB N7 last Friday and got this for $4 as well. It showed up today and it's definitely not the case in the picture. Judging by the reviews it seems to have happened to everyone. Not sure if anything is being done about it.

Does it at least have the auto sleep feature?

Blastoise

Banned
These are the ways I can hold it comfortably and not accidently touch the screen.

This will hurt after an hour. Probably because i'm a skinny weakling.

This hurts my wrist.

Hold it like this and you will touch the screen :(

The last pic is how I thought people would hold it. Is holding the bottom bezel awkward at all? Is it possible to hold it and operate it with one hand?

Only reason I'm asking is because I have an iPad 3 and a iPhone 4S, so I was hoping for something that's I between both of these.

Cartman86

Banned
The last pic is how I thought people would hold it. Is holding the bottom bezel awkward at all? Is it possible to hold it and operate it with one hand?

Only reason I'm asking is because I have an iPad 3 and a iPhone 4S, so I was hoping for something that's I between both of these.

Holding it at the bottom is all about getting your fingers on the back in the right position. I've found the spot where it's fine. And no it's not possible to hold in one hand and operate it fully. Reading books yeah, but you can't reach the whole device with just one thumb.

jcutner

Are there any cool apps or games I can use to show off whatever power the Tegra 3 GPU has?

Also, being an Android noob - how can I get the mobile neogaf site's icon to show up on the Bookmark shortcut on my home screen?

Cartman86

Banned
Are there any cool apps or games I can use to show off whatever power the Tegra 3 GPU has?

Also, being an Android noob - how can I get the mobile neogaf site's icon to show up on the Bookmark shortcut on my home screen?

I know right? I don't think you can. You could with the previous standard Android Browser bookmark widget, but not with Chrome. Fix this Google!!!!!

womp

I know right? I don't think you can. You could with the previous standard Android Browser bookmark widget, but not with Chrome. Fix this Google!!!!!

On my Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean you can just long press on your book mark and tap 'Add to Home Screen', via Chrome. Shouldn't be any different on the Nexus 7.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Whatever account logs in first I think gets the money. Factory reset (erases everything) and log-in to the account you want the money on and you should get it. You can even take advantage of this and log-in a bunch of different accounts with factory reset between each and get $25 on every one of them. Unless they have fixed this.

Thanks! Worked like a charm!

Cartman86

Banned
You are under the 'bookmarks' right? In the settings menu? Weird.

From my phone...

We're trying to get the fancy icon to be on the home screen. See how NeoGAF and Giantbomb look all cool? When you put it on the homescreen on the Nexus 7 it looks like the boring reddit bookmark instead. Does this on the phone too if you use the Chrome Bookmark widget.

Like which apps? I'm curious to know about the drove of fantastic iOS-exclusive apps you're pining for.

come on, man. i'm a full-time android phone user with a nexus 7 somewhere in the midst of international shipping, but i still carry an ipod touch and ipad for times when i want a twitter client, podcast manager, or RSS reader that doesn't assault my eyes and mind. it is simply insane to me that no-one has yet had either the ability or volition to fill obvious gaps like this on the platform, and that's without even mentioning games! android app quality is just light years behind iOS, much as i might prefer the OS in almost every other way.

to the guy asking about tegra 3 apps, i checked out max payne mobile on a different device recently and it was pretty amazing. has the same particle effects as the PC version! or at least, what i remember of the PC version. anyway, looks much better than it does on iOS, and is a great game to boot.

Mairu

What RSS reader does everyone use?

I don't really like Flipboard after trying it out. I don't really like how Feedly organizes stuff and I'm not sure if "Reformat" is supposed to be like Readability but it doesn't seem to work very well.

The Google Reader App is really basic and doesn't have anything to make articles that force you to read on their website load the whole thing. I've installed Pocket and the workaround for now seems to be to share it with Pocket and then read it on that...

I wish Reeder was on Android :(

Cartman86

Banned
What RSS reader does everyone use?

I don't really like Flipboard after trying it out. I don't really like how Feedly organizes stuff and I'm not sure if "Reformat" is supposed to be like Readability but it doesn't seem to work very well.

The Google Reader App is really basic and doesn't have anything to make articles that force you to read on their website load the whole thing. I've installed Pocket and the workaround for now seems to be to share it with Pocket and then read it on that...

I wish Reeder was on Android :(

Reader HD. You can even turn on magazine format to get a more fancy layout compared to standard Google Reader list formats.

Mairu

Reader HD. You can even turn on magazine format to get a more fancy layout compared to standard Google Reader list formats.

This seems alright though it'd be nice if you could specify the "Mobilize" button to default to instapaper/readability/built-in instead of having to hit twice (maybe you can in the paid version?)

I'll try it out for a few days and probably buy it if it looks like the best option.
But it's still no Reeder :(

edit: I see that you can specify the mobilize button, so that's good~!

Top Bottom