• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Lol, they partially shipped my order.
Shipped the 16GB tablet, not the cover.
The cover was the holdup? Why not ship it partially before?
Google's lack of communication on this matter is
horrible -- they need to refund my 2-day shipping.

HooDoo

I'm willing to get a Nexus as soon as it's available in my country but I still have a few questions.

How the autonomy in real life situation and most important for me how is the heat when you're using it intensively ?

My Nexus S warms quickly and I don't want a gaming/reading tablet burning my hands.

Oxirane

Can anyone with the Google Cover for the N7 tell me how rigid the front cover flap is?

The way I hold my current crappy 7" tablet in portrait mode relies on the case flap being rigid. That way I don't need to touch the bezel.

Zabojnik

Does this thing get hot like the new iPad after a while? When browsing and using basic apps, I mean, not when (3D) gaming. Major turn off for me, it was actually one of the reasons why I sold my cheap-ass chinese 10" Android 4.0 tablet.

surly

Banned
Has anyone managed to get their Facebook contacts to appear in the People app?

On my Galaxy S3, when I ran the Facebook app for the first time and signed in, it popped up a screen asking if I wanted to sync contacts and I could choose to sync all contacts, just the contacts that were already on my phone, or no contacts at all.

I installed the Facebook app on my Nexus 7 and that screen doesn't appear. When I signed in for the first time, it just went to the regular status updates screen.

If I go into Settings - Accounts, and click on my Facebook account, there's a check mark next to Contacts for them to be synced. Also, if I go into the People app's settings and go to "Contacts to display" my Facebook account is listed there and I have it set to display all contacts, but none of my Facebook contacts are listed.

Any idea how I can get this to work?

zbeeb

Has anyone managed to get their Facebook contacts to appear in the People app?

On my Galaxy S3, when I ran the Facebook app for the first time and signed in, it popped up a screen asking if I wanted to sync contacts and I could choose to sync all contacts, just the contacts that were already on my phone, or no contacts at all.

I installed the Facebook app on my Nexus 7 and that screen doesn't appear. When I signed in for the first time, it just went to the regular status updates screen.

If I go into Settings - Accounts, and click on my Facebook account, there's a check mark next to Contacts for them to be synced. Also, if I go into the People app's settings and go to "Contacts to display" my Facebook account is listed there and I have it set to display all contacts, but none of my Facebook contacts are listed.

Any idea how I can get this to work?

get haxsync or fb contact sync from the play store. Stock Android and facebook don't play along very well unfortunately.

Cartman86

Banned
Does this thing get hot like the new iPad after a while? When browsing and using basic apps, I mean, not when (3D) gaming. Major turn off for me, it was actually one of the reasons why I sold my cheap-ass chinese 10" Android 4.0 tablet.

It hasn't felt hot for me at all yet. My Galaxy Nexus gets real hot sometimes. The screen almost feels like its going to burn me even. Granted I haven't take it outside on a hot day yet so don't take my word as gospel.

surly

Banned
get haxsync or fb contact sync from the play store. Stock Android and facebook don't play along very well unfortunately.
I just tried HaxSync and while it sort of works, it only syncs Facebook data with the contacts that are already on my phone that happen to have Facebook accounts. What I want is for it to do that, but to also add all of my Facebook contacts to the People app.

It works flawlessly on my S3 via the Facebook app. Is it a JellyBean thing?

Cartman86

Banned
I just tried HaxSync and while it sort of works, it only syncs Facebook data with the contacts that are already on my phone that happen to have Facebook accounts. What I want is for it to do that, but to also add all of my Facebook contacts to the People app.

Was an ICS thing too.

zbeeb

Was an ICS thing too.

Yep its a stock android thing. Google and facebook don't get along very well, so while the People app allows any social network to attach contacts, facebook wont do it (over issues over where the data is actually stored or who owns it. Something like that).

Samsung and HTC generally add they're own software to get them to play nice together.

surly

Banned
Yep its a stock android thing. Google and facebook don't get along very well, so while the People app allows any social network to attach contacts, facebook wont do it (over issues over where the data is actually stored or who owns it. Something like that).

Samsung and HTC generally add they're own software to get them to play nice together.
According to someone on XDA Devs it's just Nexus devices that are affected.

I don't think that Samsung add their own software to get it to work. It seems that Facebook are just blocking sync on Nexus devices as the Sync Existing Contacts/Sync All/Don't Sync options don't appear on the Nexus 7 the first time you run the FB app and that is part of the app itself.

Either way, it's kinda shitty.

Cartman86

Banned
According to someone on XDA Devs it's just Nexus devices that are affected.

I don't think that Samsung add their own software to get it to work. It seems that Facebook are just blocking sync on Nexus devices as the Sync Existing Contacts/Sync All/Don't Sync options don't appear on the Nexus 7 the first time you run the FB app and that is part of the app itself.

Either way, it's kinda shitty.

Custom ROMS usually restore it.

DagsJT

Are there any cool apps or games I can use to show off whatever power the Tegra 3 GPU has?

Also, being an Android noob - how can I get the mobile neogaf site's icon to show up on the Bookmark shortcut on my home screen?

Shadowgun THD and Riptide are the games that have impressed the most when showing other people, Shadowgun especially.

käsekrainer

Neo Member

Uncheck "Existing Only" in Contact Settings.

mojiimbo

Saw that some people are still frustrated with availability so I figured it'd be worth saying that I ordered the 16gb version from MacMall on Thursday night and it was shipped by Friday evening. Comes with all the Google digital freebies, free Priority shipping and they only charge tax to a few states.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Chameleon on Nexus 7.....this thing looks beastly.

I absolutely love their multi touch manipulation, about time developers start taking advantage of our fingers.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...test-chameleon-launcher-build-on-the-nexus-7/

Wow this thing looks like shit, except for widget resizing. And how often do you resize widgets? Only once in awhile.

I don't get the hype. Edit: http://chameleon.teknision.com/ makes it look nicer.

--

Best RSS reader is Good News, IMO.

Izick

Fuck. I think mine is creaking now. What a facing sack of shit. Should I visit, or just go ahead and send it to Google?

Emily Chu

Banned
Fuck. I.think mine is creaking now. What a facing sack of shit. Should I visit, or just go ahead and send it to Google?

edit

actually fuck it I might just return it and get my money back @ gamestop

between my workhorse 14.1" laptop for inside

and 4.65" phone for on the go

didn't use it as much as I expected to.

anything I almost wanted to do I've found it just loads more efficient and comfortable to do on my laptop or phone depending on usage scenarios

I guess I'm not a tablet type person.....

and to mention again android feels like an awesome phone OS to me and not one suited for tablets 7"+ possibly because of the apps situation

surly

Banned
I ordered this case yesterday and it's already arrived: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008H5T0Y2/

Here's a review of it I wrote elsewhere: -

The design is alright. The tablet slots in, then a section of the case folds around underneath it and attaches to the back of the case on the inside with velcro to stop the tablet from sliding out. The only downside of this is that it causes the case to bulge a little in the middle, which is my only real gripe with it. The build quality is decent for the money. The inside of the case is lined with what almost feels like fake suede, so the tablet shouldn't get scratched. When the case is open, the flap can be folded behind the tablet, so it's comfortable to hold and use. The flap is also in 3 sections, so it can be folded into a triangular shape so it functions as a stand, which is a nice idea but it's not that sturdy. Overall, it doesn't add much bulk to the Nexus 7, but it protects it nicely.

There's a cut-out for the front-facing camera and all of the sockets are accessible. There's 5 round holes in the back of the case so that the speaker isn't covered. Because of the shape of the tablet, accessing the power/volume buttons isn't as easy as when the tablet isn't in the case, which is a bit of a pain.

The magnetic lock/unlock thing works great. When you open the case, the screen of the tablet comes on without you having to press the power button, so you can just swipe and unlock it. When you close the case, the screen goes off and the tablet goes to sleep. You can see this in action as it happens once the magnetic gets a certain distance from the edge of the tablet. The magnets also hold the flap of the case closed.

This case is definitely worth a tenner and if that's around what you want to spend then I'd say go for it for sure, but I would happily pay more for one that's a similar design, but better quality. A real leather one - something like the official Amazon leather Kindle case - would be nice.

I'm taking mine back to my staples store,

three reasons:

1- The size of the tablet is too small for me.
2- Can't rotate the screen when going through web pages.
3- Build quality is ho-hum. Sides of the screen are flimsy, pressing on the sides, there's like a "gap", the glass screen doesn't seem locked in the casing.

I really wanted this tablet to be just as good as an ipad, but it's not. It's an improvement over stuff like the Xoom, transformer, still not good enough.

I'm taking mine back to my staples store,

three reasons:

1- The size of the tablet is too small for me.
2- Can't rotate the screen when going through web pages.
3- Build quality is ho-hum. Sides of the screen are flimsy, pressing on the sides, there's like a "gap", the glass screen doesn't seem locked in the casing.

1. Fair enough
2. That does not sound right at all, do you have auto-rotate turned off?
3. Sounds like a bad unit.

1. Fair enough
2. That does not sound right at all, do you have auto-rotate turned off?
3. Sounds like a bad unit.

Seriously, I wanted to like it... Android 4.1 is awesome, but it's not enough for me to spend 259$ + tax on this. Maybe when samsung makes a 10 inch tablet with 4.1 android on it, with a screen that looks nearly as good as that retina display, I'll be all in.

JudgeN

Well well lucky me, I ordered a 16gb Nexus 7 from Macmall of all places 2 days ago and its already shipped. FUCK YEA !!!!!!

Posting from this thing right now. 8gb version. Loving it.

Never owned a tablet before but played around with friends ipads and android tablets and after two days of usage all I can say this is probably the best android tablet I have seen. Jb is super smooth.

One thing bordering me a bit is that there sometimes is on screen flickering and also that the gamma levels could have been tweaked a bit better. (Stuff that is probably easy to fix with updates and custom roms)

SuperPac

I've seen the screen flickering thing as well but assumed it was a problem with the auto-brightness freaking out because I only notice it in low light.

My two big gripes right now are not being able to tell the mail client to default to the combined view. How is that not an option?

And, doesn't seem like there's an easy way to auto-scroll to the top of a browser window similar to tapping the top bar in iOS.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
edit

anything I almost wanted to do I've found it just loads more efficient and comfortable to do on my laptop or phone depending on usage scenarios

and to mention again android feels like an awesome phone OS to me and not one suited for tablets 7"+ possibly because of the apps situation
I'm guessing that the lack of apps made for tablets doesn't help when it comes to differentiation compared to smartphones, is that right?

Cheebo

Banned
edit

I kinda am coming to a similar view.

I fell in love with the OS, I find it fantastic. But as a tablet...it just doesn't work well at all. Jelly Bean is making it so I am likely making my next phone a Nexus Android, because I don't need many apps when it comes to a phone unlike a tablet where I want to use it almost like a mini-computer. The poor build quality and near dead app store makes me just want to pull out my iPad.

dwebo

my nexus 7 apparently has a magical auto-regenerative battery!
GyAm9.png

Emily Chu

Banned
It was the tablet that android gaf deserves but not the one it needs right now

I've returned it for a full refund @ my local games top just a minute ago

I'm freed

Emily Chu

Banned
Emily chu, using up stock while the rest of us sit on idle thumbs.

Hmm just wasn't up to snuff hardware quality wise

Too any hardware issues to keep at least IMO

Wasn't feeling the weight and bulk either

Dunno if I'm getting one again or just waiting for a better tab to come along

It just did impress me that much coming from a gnex

Will most def get another tab though at the 200-250 range though in the future

Such a shame

shamo42

I love my N7 except for the shitty rear speaker which distorts at higher volumes.

-It basically replaces my home PC for casual surfing and gmail which is awesome as I finally can surf wherever I want without having to carry bulky/heavy hardware.

-The calendar app is almost perfect at this screen size. I never liked it on my phone.

-Videos look incredible. Youtube in 720p looks even better than on my PC. My next 11 hours flight won't be boring anymore.

-Batter life (screen on time) is about 8-10 hours (compared to 3-4 hours on my phone).

-Showing friends pics/videos on the N7 is a more enjoyable experience than showing them stuff on my phone. No more squinting.

Emily Chu

Banned
I'm guessing that the lack of apps made for tablets doesn't help when it comes to differentiation compared to smartphones, is that right?

yeah coming from a galaxy nexus, I brought it on a whim then it was like
it's got a bigger screen but it's not THAT much bigger 2.35" bigger if you want precise
not enough to be extremely useful, not light enough compared to my phone

basically the cons out weighted the pro for me and that along with hardware issues since day one I've just ultimately decided to get a full refund @ gamestop

glad it was a full refund too since it would have been an exchange ONLY if they had any in stock.

but I'm spending my future tablet or computing device money elsewhere for the time being

I wanted to really love the thing too : |

also the damn thing was awkward to hold comfortably

e_i

No native support here

Go to "gallery." It will display your pictures and videos. When I clicked on a mkv, it asked to play it in either MX Player or "Video Player." The video played in Video Player...but there's no softsub support, no settings, no nothing.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
yeah coming from a galaxy nexus, I brought it on a whim then it was like
it's got a bigger screen but it's not THAT much bigger 2.35" bigger if you want precise
not enough to be extremely useful, not light enough compared to my phone

basically the cons out weighted the pro for me and that along with hardware issues since day one I've just ultimately decided to get a full refund @ gamestop

glad it was a full refund too since it would have been an exchange ONLY if they had any in stock.

but I'm spending my future tablet or computing device money elsewhere for the time being

I wanted to really love the thing too : |

also the damn thing was awkward to hold comfortably
Wait, all your issue with the device were mostly related to the hardware?

timkunedo

I've had almost a week with the device now and I am in love with it. It's basically perfect. The left side of it did the creaking and stuff but I just pushed down on it really hard and its solid as a rock now. From this point on it is PURE GOOGLE or nothing for me.

dwebo

Go to "gallery." It will display your pictures and videos. When I clicked on a mkv, it asked to play it in either MX Player or "Video Player." The video played in Video Player...but there's no softsub support, no settings, no nothing.

hmm, you're right - I hadn't tried one copied over to the device. when I'm just streaming from the network, es file manager won't even ask which player for mkv

ac3 audio doesn't work in the native player (or mx player h/w accelerated), so that severely limits its usefulness for most people I'd imagine

Top Bottom