• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Fixed for Breaking Bad fans.
tumblr_lllrocfDXA1qa2ot6o1_500.gif

so...this or a Touchpad? Have the opportunity to buy a cheap 16gb TP. Any good? Good app support,etc?
this

BFIB

so...this or a Touchpad? Have the opportunity to buy a cheap 16gb TP. Any good? Good app support,etc?

The touchpad you'd want to load cyanogen at least. But, you also would have a 10" screen, as opposed to a 7" on the Nexus.

I guess it depends on how "hands on" you want to get. If you want a great tablet out of the box, the Nexus is the way to go. If screen size is your big factor, and you don't mind putting some work in, the Touchpad is a good device also.

Izick

I'm really excited for this, guys. I usually just sit around in my bed or on the couch when I'm browsing the web, so this obviously makes it a lot more convenient.

I'm really excited for this, guys. I usually just sit around in my bed or on the couch when I'm browsing the web, so this obviously makes it a lot more convenient.
that's what I do to, that and reading comic books. Happy with my ipad but new tech that is cheap, I'm a sucker for.

I'm taking GAF at their word when they say reading comic books on a 7 inch screen is best.

Dunlop

for the same price? this by a longshot, otherwise the touchpad with ICS installed is great

I really want this because it is smaller, I take the train to work and find the TP to big for watching media and generally hauling around. Need to sell my TP before the general masses learn about this :p

dwebo

I think I'm going to wait until amazon announces their kindle fire successor(s). I'd be a bit bummed if two weeks after I received this thing, I find out I would've rather gotten the fire 2

BFIB

that's what I do to, that and reading comic books. Happy with my ipad but new tech that is cheap, I'm a sucker for.

I'm taking GAF at their word when they say reading comic books on a 7 inch screen is best.

I read comics on my Fire, and while its serviceable, I would think reading them on the iPad would be better. I've grown accustomed to it, and comixology's pane by pane view makes it a lot easier.

I read comics on my Fire, and while its serviceable, I would think reading them on the iPad would be better. I've grown accustomed to it, and comixology's pane by pane view makes it a lot easier.
hmm but isn't the resolution worse on the kindle fire? it's 1024x600 I believe while the 7 is 1280x800. Will that make a noticeable difference?

Sanjuro

I think the resolution will be the biggest asset to this tablet, that is the primary reason I was holding out for it. Reading comics on the iPad isn't great either. The device just feels too large.

I think the resolution will be the biggest asset to this tablet, that is the primary reason I was holding out for it. Reading comics on the iPad isn't great either. The device just feels too large.
I enjoy reading them on my ipad but there is definitely a border around the pages due to size. Hoping this is just right.

BFIB

That's a good point, I never really thought of. Since I've only owned the Fire as a tablet, I really can't compare it to anything else.

I think sanjuro is right on the money here. The Nexus resolution could make all the difference when it comes to reading comics on a 7" device.

Izick

I actually forgot about that! I have been planning on getting into comic books, but the nearest store is a ways out, and closed most of the week, so buying them digitally is another great plus. It's getting better and better!

I actually forgot about that! I have been planning on getting into comic books, but the nearest store is a ways out, and closed most of the week, so buying them digitally is another great plus. It's getting better and better!
every since I got into reading digital comic books, the amount I've read has gone up astronomically. It's great stuff.

Sanjuro

I enjoy reading them on my ipad but there is definitely a border around the pages due to size. Hoping this is just right.

That as well. The iPad isn't bad, definitely feels a bit cumbersome holding it over time. The heat from the new iPad is a nuisance as well, at least for me.

Even though I own the first Asus Transformer, I want this too. There's no practical reason to own both a 10 in. and 7 in. tablet, but I love the size of both. I need to own both.10 in. is fantastic for reading books and comics. 7 in. tablet seems great for reading/browsing and I could hold it one handed. The Nexus is even more portable than the Transformer. Transformer would be for home, Nexus for school/away from home. For people who own a 7 in. tablet, how is it for reading comics and books?

mkenyon

Banned
Very interested until I saw no SD slot. WTF, come on Google.
I had the same kind of reaction at first, but I really had to think about it for a second. I've gone through a host of android phones, iPad 2, Transformer, and Transformer Prime. I think I used the SD card slot once on my Prime, and it was when we lost power for a week where I live.

99% of what I do on a tablet is either surfing the net, reading comics/books, and playing games. If I want to watch a movie on it, I can just stream from my PC.

Wife told me to go ahead and pre-order it, knowing that you should generally always do what your wife says, I heeded her directions.
Even though I own the first Asus Transformer, I want this too. There's no practical reason to own both a 10 in. and 7 in. tablet, but I love the size of both. I need to own both.10 in. is fantastic for reading books and comics. 7 in. tablet seems great for reading/browsing and I could hold it one handed. The Nexus is even more portable than the Transformer. Transformer would be for home, Nexus for school/away from home. For people who own a 7 in. tablet, how is it for reading comics and books?
Pretty much the same here, though since I've been using my Galaxy Note as my sole android device, I think I've come around to 7" being the perfect tablet size. Also, my cat knocked my Prime off my counter on to the hardwood floor. $400 glass replacement as it is bonded to the screen. Yikes.

Sanjuro

My biggest regret with digital comics is not supporting my local shops. At this stage in the game it's just a huge inconvenience in terms of cost and sheer number of issues that begin to build up, which are essentially worthless the moment you purchase them.

My biggest regret with digital comics is not supporting my local shops. At this stage in the game it's just a huge inconvenience in terms of cost and sheer number of issues that begin to build up, which are essentially worthless the moment you purchase them.
I have an amazing local shop, I pop in once in a while to get stuff. I feel bad about it too lol. But if I REALLY like a certain issue or something, I'll go buy it again from there.

BFIB

You're right in time if you want to jump into the new 52 from DC. I believe they now have the first volume out for each, so you can get caught up quickly. Other than that, I would recommend going to the comics forum on GAF to get an idea on what you're looking to read.

tacotime77

Neo Member
The inclusion of this on the market should help drive prices down (I'd hope). I just bought a kindle 4 though... But they serve different functions, right?!? :D

So er what does USB-OTG mean? Does that mean I can hook up a USB stick or external drive directly to the Nexus 7?

That would be excellent if true. And I might consider the 8GB one.. maybe.

The touchpad you'd want to load cyanogen at least. But, you also would have a 10" screen, as opposed to a 7" on the Nexus.

I guess it depends on how "hands on" you want to get. If you want a great tablet out of the box, the Nexus is the way to go. If screen size is your big factor, and you don't mind putting some work in, the Touchpad is a good device also.

for the same price? this by a longshot, otherwise the touchpad with ICS installed is great

I really want this because it is smaller, I take the train to work and find the TP to big for watching media and generally hauling around. Need to sell my TP before the general masses learn about this :p

Thank you both. Guess I'll be buying this when I get home tonight.

I think the dude whose selling his TP had the same idea, fortunately I knew about this thanks to this forum. I probably would have lept at his TP otherwise.

16gb is the one to go for right? How much ususble memory will be available? 13 - 14gb?

Izick

Thank you both. Guess I'll be buying this when I get home tonight.

I think the dude whose selling his TP had the same idea, fortunately I knew about this thanks to this forum. I probably would have lept at his TP otherwise.

16gb is the one to go for right? How much ususble memory will be available? 13 - 14gb?

By going off the 8GB, which in reality has 5.9 GB free, most likely 13.9.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

how cheap? an ics touchpad is comparable but you probably wont be getting jellybean and the processor/gpu is significantly worse. it has an advantage on screen size (if you prefer 10 inches) and memory but i think thats it. id go with the nexus unless you were getting the touchpad new for like 50-100.

the ics touchpad also wont have a functional camera,

and the resolution is a little worse

teiresias

Man, I just got my Galaxy S3, but I'm really wanting this thing too!! I'm thinking phone, Nexus 7 for 7" consumption tablet, e-ink kindle for reading, and MS Surface for portable productivity might be my device solution.

I sort of regret getting my mom a Kindle Fire for Christmas now. Oh well, I doubt she'd know the difference.

Meh, not really. The Nexus 7 would basically just be a "remote" for the Nexus Q, if I understand the Q correctly. The Q streams content itself over the net, it doesn't get it from the device.

I'm using an app to sync the WiiMote.

IIRC, the PS3 controller apps require root access for some reason ... but I'm not sure that's the case anymore. I admittedly haven't kept up with it though so things may have changed.

PS3 Controller Bluetooth apps require root. IIRC it has to do with the way the PS3 controllers peer and establish a wireless connection.

By going off the 8GB, which in reality has 5.9 GB free, most likely 13.9.

Thanks. Not great by any means, but it should get the job done. Netflix has an app on the andriod marketplace, right?

how cheap? an ics touchpad is comparable but you probably wont be getting jellybean and the processor/gpu is significantly worse. it has an advantage on screen size (if you prefer 10 inches) and memory but i think thats it. id go with the nexus unless you were getting the touchpad new for like 50-100.

the ics touchpad also wont have a functional camera,

and the resolution is a little worse

He wanted 175 including a case. I think I'll go for the Nexus as it seems the more sensible choice, so thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Only issue is memory, but 13.9gb is workable, I guess.

Top Bottom