• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

suedester

Banned
So I've decided to return mine, here's why:

After using the N7 for the past 4 days or so, I tried using my iPad 2 last night and the experience was simply more enjoyable. Even though the iPad 2 screen was noticeably less crisp after using the N7, I have several reasons for returning it.

-It's more difficult to type on the N7, even with other keyboard apps. This is mainly due to the smaller screen size, but I definitely prefer the iPad keyboard.
-The iPad 2 is simply faster. Going back to Chrome on the iPad 2, scrolling was much, much smoother (night & day difference) and pages loaded a tad faster.
-The apps. I could tell I was already getting bored with the tablet apps on the N7 after a few days, which is a bad sign. The Google stock apps were great and the library will likely improve, but by then, I'm assuming there will be other tablet options available.

So overall, I think it's a great tablet with a great build for $200. If $200 is your budget, buy it. Jelly Bean has some really great features that I wish iOS would incorporate and it's definitely the only enjoyable experience I've had with Android so far. But as an iPad 2 owner, I can't justify keeping it or completely selling my iPad 2.

We definitely aren't reading from the same page, bob. I love typing on the N7, check out thumb keyboard, it's a great app. I only have the ipad 1 so can't compare but I'm finding JB to be really smooth and chrome works a treat.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I way prefer typing on the N7 -- I use both iPad3 and N7 regularly. Unless you mean laying the iPad down in keyboard mode or whatever, but even with two hands I still find it awkward on the iPad (better than phones though certainly) -- non-split is too big and split is too awkward/small for me. dsfdf I guess.

I switched over from PocketCasts (which doesn't seem to work with J) to DoggCatcher. What podcast apps are people using for J? I'd love one that had sync across devices since I use both my GN and N7 now (or, God forbid, sync across Apple & Android devices) but I don't know if that exists. At least DoggCatcher works though, unlock PocketCasts.

Calmine

Loving my newly arrived Nexus.

Few little annoyances causes of Jelly bean not liking some apps I already had on my HTC. None the less find decent way of connecting my phone to it so I can use it's mobile internet. Although there might be a probably better ways of doing I don't know. This works for me.

I downloaded for the Nexus PdaNet Tablet
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pdanet.tablet2&hl=en

and for my HTC Fox Fi
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&hl=en

Connected them both up using a Hotspot or Bluetooth and boom 3G on my Nexus :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One thing I really dig on the N7 that I didn't realize until this weekend is playing music from it. I stream Google Music via Bluetooth to a player and it just looks really nice; also doesn't destroy my battery like it does on my GN. Even on the lock screen you still get nice album art and controls and it just feels right as a music player.

Why I'm hoping to get the podcast situation sorted. PocketCasts I thought was the answer when I discovered it but I feel like it's gone to crap since ICS -- feeds not updating, and now just plain refusing to play.

kehs

Banned
Finallly got a few minutes to sit down and handle the tablet. It feels heavier than it looks, which is good thing, it's almost asking to be carried around.

I'm not sure what problems people were having gripping it, but the bezel seems just fine. I can see why some people develop creaking though, if you hold it by pinching the bezel isntead of letting the device rest on in your palm. Maybe this will change once I start lounging around, currently just sitting at a desk and it's just resting in my palm with my thumb slightly hovering above the edge.

I haven't gotten into apps or anything yet because I need to figure out how to get the $25 bucks on my main account now. Serves me right for trying to scam them. lol

Colors are really unfortunate. That ICS/JB cyan looks turrible on here. The TF screen is much better, and brighter. I'm not sure I'll get used to it though. The screen is pretty sharp, but those colors. rabble rabble.

We'll see how it stands up in a weeks time. My mom is interested in it though as a gift, so I have an escape route in the near future. hah.

Izick

Just traded it in and got all my money back.

I still want to say it's a fantastic little device (if you get a good one) and I loved a lot of the things it had to offer. The thing I'm taking away from this though is that I think I need to pick up a smart-phone in the near-future. I use Cricket, so I'm on the fence on whether to get a Huawei Mercury or an iPhone 4S. Either way, I think it's definitely an awesome concept, a smart-touch device that is.

ukas

Finallly got a few minutes to sit down and handle the tablet. It feels heavier than it looks, which is good thing, it's almost asking to be carried around.

I'm not sure what problems people were having gripping it, but the bezel seems just fine. I can see why some people develop creaking though, if you hold it by pinching the bezel isntead of letting the device rest on in your palm. Maybe this will change once I start lounging around, currently just sitting at a desk and it's just resting in my palm with my thumb slightly hovering above the edge.

I haven't gotten into apps or anything yet because I need to figure out how to get the $25 bucks on my main account now. Serves me right for trying to scam them. lol

Colors are really unfortunate. That ICS/JB cyan looks turrible on here. The TF screen is much better, and brighter. I'm not sure I'll get used to it though. The screen is pretty sharp, but those colors. rabble rabble.

We'll see how it stands up in a weeks time. My mom is interested in it though as a gift, so I have an escape route in the near future. hah.

Possible fix for the color calibration issue via a software update.

http://mashable.com/2012/07/24/google-nexus-7-display/

kehs

Banned
I hope so, its bugging the shit out of me.

Side note, can someone link me to the stock browser + flash to side load. Browsers without gestures are balls.

Typing on this thing is great btw especially in portrait.

Samus4145

I don't understand all the comments about needing tablet versions of apps. Maybe since I don't have an ipad I don't know what I'm missing? All I know that tweet Caster looks perfect for me on it.

Side note, can someone link me to the stock browser + flash to side load. Browsers without gestures are balls.

You can't side load the browser normally. You either root and use adb or a custom ROM. I'm hoping someone will stick a tweaked version on the play store.

kehs

Banned
You can't side load the browser normally. You either root and use adb or a custom ROM. I'm hoping someone will stick a tweaked version on the play store.

Oh yes....I gotta root this thing before I start setting it all up. Oops.

Also can't wait to get rid of the nav bar and use lmt again.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Seriously interested in getting the N7 as my first tablet. I've really been wanting one to read articles on.....sucks doing that on my Droid, printing out articles is a pain, and my laptop is too cumbersome. Having a tablet for that would be nice, and I'd probably end up watching a bunch of netflix on it (is there a netflix app for the N7?)

Will definitely wait a little while till they work the kinks out, though.

kehs

Banned
Much obliged Saladin.

Recent app lost looks a little weird being on this screen, totally needs to be right justified like it was on HC to the left.

Demon: there is Netflix for this.

Emily Chu

Banned
uxmUQl.jpg

bob page

I way prefer typing on the N7 -- I use both iPad3 and N7 regularly. Unless you mean laying the iPad down in keyboard mode or whatever, but even with two hands I still find it awkward on the iPad (better than phones though certainly) -- non-split is too big and split is too awkward/small for me. dsfdf I guess.

I switched over from PocketCasts (which doesn't seem to work with J) to DoggCatcher. What podcast apps are people using for J? I'd love one that had sync across devices since I use both my GN and N7 now (or, God forbid, sync across Apple & Android devices) but I don't know if that exists. At least DoggCatcher works though, unlock PocketCasts.

I'm 6'1 and have pretty big hands so I guess I just feel cramped on the N7. They're fine in landscape, but browsing in landscape is less than ideal since the keyboard takes up half the screen. I tried Thumb and it didn't really improve the situation much.

I don't understand all the comments about needing tablet versions of apps. Maybe since I don't have an ipad I don't know what I'm missing? All I know that tweet Caster looks perfect for me on it.
If I want to use a phone version of an app, I'll just use my iPhone. Apps created specifically for the iPad make me want to use the device. These apps don't.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm 6'1 and have big hands :D. N7 in portrait is by far the best typing experience I've had outside of a real kb. But again this is totally dsfdf. There are people who swear by the iPad split kb and I think that thing is a total mess.

Hieberrr

Yeah the lack of a flash-supported browser is balls. I won't root until (or rather, if) MIUI jumps on board. Streaming shows and watching sports highlights? Nah, son. Apparently not important enough for Google.

I'm digging it. It's not a primary tablet, but a nice complement to the iPad3. I'm not getting rid of it.....until I get rid of it.

I'm starting to like Google Now as well, no matter how intrusive it seems. I had that browsing history turned off for my google account, but it's back on as Google Now can't really perform at its fullest if you don't give it permission to do so.

kehs

Banned
Yeah the lack of a flash-supported browser is balls. I won't root until (or rather, if) MIUI jumps on board. Streaming shows and watching sports highlights? Nah, son. Apparently not important enough for Google.

I'm still riding the fairy tale train that Chrome is going to implement their own mobile flash like they do on the browser, but that doesn't fix the lack of quick controls.

I really don't like the weird hybrid thing they got going on with the navbar/notification tray. I don't think the tablet ui would help either since it's too small. They should have stuck with the nexus setup, but that probably got in the way with Duarte's wet dream about the gamegear.

Izick

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I just don't see what I'd use a tablet for if I had a smart-phone and laptop. I mean, I can still take the laptop on the bed or on the couch, plus it's much easier to stand up on something, and the screen sized makes it so that I can put it farther away.

I'm not trying to talk shit on tablets, I'm just saying if I had a real good, light laptop (like a Macbook Air) and a good smartphone, then I just don't see the use of any tablet.

Cartman86

Banned
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I just don't see what I'd use a tablet for if I had a smart-phone and laptop. I mean, I can still take the laptop on the bed or on the couch, plus it's much easier to stand up on something, and the screen sized makes it so that I can put it farther away.

I'm not trying to talk shit on tablets, I'm just saying if I had a real good, light laptop (like a Macbook Air) and a good smartphone, then I just don't see the use of any tablet.

There are people who have laptops that prefer browsing the web from an iPad. I personally would do that if I had an iPad, but I wouldn't go seeking one out since a laptop would be just fine. The real purpose of a 7 inch device in my mind is reading, and if you already have a kindle you probably wouldn't need a tablet anyways. Luckily I don't have a Kindle or a laptop so this worked out for me.

I don't understand this pic. Is there something wrong with that Nexus that it's not shifting to landscape? Or is there something odd with the case?

The Nexus 7 like Android phones does not have a landscape mode on the Home screen. You can force it into landscape with an app, but by default they decided not to support that. It looks like this

Hieberrr

Everyone poo-poo's flash, but it's something that's there, and that I use every day.
Seriously. HTML5 is great and all, but not when the actual useful things still use flash. And I highly doubt streaming websites will ever move to HTML5 ={

I'm still riding the fairy tale train that Chrome is going to implement their own mobile flash like they do on the browser, but that doesn't fix the lack of quick controls.
I really hope they do, because right now, I'm relying on Firefox Beta for my flash content.
Yeah, I wish they at least gave the option for quick controls. I'm personally not a fan of them, but I know a lot of people love it. It sucks that they just developed the stock browser and then decided not to include it with the tablet.

I can't wait until CM10 is stable enough or a better ROM gets released. You'd think that by now Google would have included every single thing that ROM devs have included in their ROMs.

Izick

There are people who have laptops that prefer browsing the web from an iPad. I personally would do that if I had an iPad, but I wouldn't go seeking one out since a laptop would be just fine. The real purpose of a 7 inch device in my mind is reading, and if you already have a kindle you probably wouldn't need a tablet anyways. Luckily I don't have a Kindle or a laptop so this worked out for me.

Yeah, I could get reading I guess, but I'm a weirdo, I seem to prefer physical copies. Just because I know there's less risk, and I can get at them with gross fingers (if my fingers had food on them or something.)

I guess I can't say if I wouldn't prefer an iPad to a laptop, but I always felt that the keyboard/mouse thing will always be an issue.

Hmmmm. It's tablet optimised in the loosest sense of the word. The scrolling isn't there yet. I know there is a lot of love for Tweet lanes out there but Boid is far prettier and has better performance right now. When the next big update for Boid hits in the next day or two it'll be interesting to see how that performs. We've also got Carbon to come on the next few days but I doubt it'll be tablet ready.

Zeth

Just placed an order for the 8gb. Probably one of the most spontaneous purchases I've ever made. Wasn't planning on it at all, but it's just such a good value IMO.

I have a 4S/new iPad/MBP and this will be my first android device since the original Galaxy S. Will be going through this thread more thoroughly, looking for software suggestions and maybe an accessory or two. I'm pretty enthusiastic about mobile tech in general, so I'm excited to have access to another platform.

bob page

Well, it kind of depends on the type of tablet. I use my iPad 2 as a laptop replacement and only own a desktop and iPhone in addition to it. I can do everything on my iPad that I did with my old laptop but I can't really do a lot of those things with the Nexus 7: after the past 4 days, I'm convinced that a 7" tablet can never be a laptop replacement whereas a 10" is getting closer every month. It's in part because of the apps and also because of the form factor.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Watching my daughters play on their's, I put jellybean on my Galaxy Note, even in its broken state, it's a great OS.

Top Bottom