• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Cigol

How best to use the cloud (specifically Google Drive) with it? I assumed it would automatically integrate the files it finds into their relevant sections (book, movie, picture, music) but none of it is showing up outside of the actual google drive application?

Zeth

Just realized I can check Staples' site for in-store availability and there are 2 stores within three miles that have them in stock. I guess I'll pick one up tomorrow and cancel online. 24 hrs so far without shipping, oh well.

Husker86

While in the Seattle area I picked up a 7 for my aunt from Staples. So far I like the device despite some issues. No SD card, no back facing camera, or even camera app for the front facing camera, home screen doesn't rotate to landscape mode. My problem is that I am trying to get the $25 credit for her on the play store. Now I know there are parts of the store that aren't available to Canada so I want to try to get this promotion while I'm still physically in the states. During device setup we skipped the step about the $25 credit. From what I can read in order to get the credit you have to add a credit card to your account. Details are vague but I assume that means adding a CC to your google wallet? However, when trying that I only see three things. I can add a citigroup CC, add a gift card or add a pre-pay card. Why the hell can't I just "add a CC", why is this so damn complicated. The closest choice to adding a mastercard appears to be the pre-pay. But even when clicking that the wallet sits there saying "attempting to authorize card" forever and then doesn't even let me try any other card. Not only that but when rebooting the device and opening up the google wallet again it still is stuck "trying to authorize".

Has anyone got this shit to work using a mastercard and not setting up the google account during the device setup?

The Google Wallet app is a completely different thing; that's the NFC payment app which currently only natively supports Citi Mastercards. Ignore that app.

You have to add a CC to their Google account I assume, though. I'd just reset the device and set it up right from the start. But wait for advice from others, I don't have one so I'm not exactly sure why you're struggling.

Cartman86

Banned
Heh...I was in the Gallery app and looking through some pictures...except it doesn't seem to have the flick from side to side to move through pictures like the iPad. I flicked the picture down and it deleted the picture.

That's weird. I can flick side to side, and I've never heard of a gesture to delete photos in the gallery app. The only way to swipe to delete a photo is in the camera app where you can quickly deletes photos you've just taken. If you swipe to the right to see your photos you can pinch to zoom out and you will see the photos lined up where you can delete em with a swipe.

So is this tablet worth getting? Any major issues?
I don't own a tablet and thinking this might be my first.

I love it. For the price it's the best thing you can get. If you are willing to spend up to $400 and don't care about having smaller tablet you might want an iPad. Even then though I think this is an attractive buy.

- Some people have had defective units. Weird screen separation and touch screen unresponsiveness. So look for that and trade it in for a better one.

- No external storage unless you root the device. Rooting is easy so if you care about this it shouldn't be much of a problem. Unless you find plugging in external devices annoying.

- Obviously not as big as the iPad so web sites won't be as nice, but it's much more portable.

- No rear-facing camera. It does have front facing for video calls though.

- The ecosystem for tablet apps on Android isn't big yet. Because it's a 7 inch device this isn't as obvious, but expect since this thing appears to be doing well for more tablet optimized apps.

- It's worth noting that Amazon has not released the Instant Video app for normal Android devices since they probably want to keep it exclusive to the Kindle Fire. At least for now.

- No cellular data connection. You'll need to be on wifi (or tethered to a phone) if you want a net connection.

- 4.1 OS is really nice.

- If you like customization Android is for you.

- Hardware is surprisingly capable. Especially for the price. The most graphically intensive games run great.

- Pretty nice battery life.

- Feels great in the hand.

- Perfect size for reading. Though if LCD's hurt your eyes when you read that could be a problem.

While in the Seattle area I picked up a 7 for my aunt from Staples. So far I like the device despite some issues. No SD card, no back facing camera, or even camera app for the front facing camera, home screen doesn't rotate to landscape mode. My problem is that I am trying to get the $25 credit for her on the play store. Now I know there are parts of the store that aren't available to Canada so I want to try to get this promotion while I'm still physically in the states. During device setup we skipped the step about the $25 credit. From what I can read in order to get the credit you have to add a credit card to your account. Details are vague but I assume that means adding a CC to your google wallet? However, when trying that I only see three things. I can add a citigroup CC, add a gift card or add a pre-pay card. Why the hell can't I just "add a CC", why is this so damn complicated. The closest choice to adding a mastercard appears to be the pre-pay. But even when clicking that the wallet sits there saying "attempting to authorize card" forever and then doesn't even let me try any other card. Not only that but when rebooting the device and opening up the google wallet again it still is stuck "trying to authorize".

Has anyone got this shit to work using a mastercard and not setting up the google account during the device setup?

My understanding was that when you first boot up the device and it asks you to sign in you had to sign in with the account you wanted the free credit with. So if you didn't you will need to factory reset and go through that process again.

U2NUMB

Shout out to Gamestop (never thought I would say that).. but I ordered one last sunday.. they told me 2 weeks but tonight I got the call. It is sitting right on my table charging.. I have already reset my Kindle Fire and will be giving it to a friend.

Will post impressions tomorrow.

MrJames

How do I get the Play Store to download all my apps? When I swipe from Installed to All they are there but I don't want to click on each one to install them. My Transformer downloaded them automatically so what needs to be done to trigger the mass downloads on this?

Cartman86

Banned
How do I get the Play Store to download all my apps? When I swipe from Installed to All they are there but I don't want to click on each one to install them. My Transformer downloaded them automatically so what needs to be done to trigger the mass downloads on this?

Yeah sometimes it doesn't do it. Don't know why. I just wait till the device shows up on the Google Play web page then install them quickly from there. You still have to install each one, but it's faster on the PC.

kehs

Banned

Check the settings inside of your last device, it might not be set to backup settings. If its off your next device won't duplicate the apps installed.

Stock browser woorking so far for me:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1780746

Zeth

First impressions?

Really impressed with the screen. Was worried I'd be disappointed coming from the new iPad, but it looks fine. Chrome is god-like since I use it on my PC, everything syncs seamlessly. Keyboard is also better than I'd expected.

I'll be using this thing a lot just because of the size. On paper 7" doesn't seem much smaller than the full size tablets, but the iPad is more like 40% larger. The nexus is much much more portable. Need some apps though. Not a lot in the editor's choice tablet section of the Play store.

Darkener2

How is it I get an email from UPS saying my Nexus 7 will be delivered tomorrow, and I still haven't gotten an email from Google or have my account even charged yet? Anyway, I am happy I am finally getting my order... lol

Btw, is there any good 3rd party cases for the 7?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Even though I've already pulled the trigger and I should have my Nexus 7 soon, I'm still curious: I bought the N7 primarily for reading (but will also use it for web browsing/other random tablet stuff). I've handled one briefly in Staples, and I know it feels good in the hand, and I imagined it would be great for reading. Have any of you guys used yours for an extensive reading? How is it? I had an iPad but could not use it as a reader as it was just too big/heavy (even though light for its size).

Also, thanks for the info Dynamite Ringo Matsuri.

sca2511

Mine was delivered while I was at Vegas for two weeks, babysitting. Opened it up a couple of days ago. It's so smooth and my first real Google device. My rooted CM9 Nook Color will pretty much have no use at all anymore. Only problem right now is that Comixology bug, but other than that, amazing.

Morts

I signed up a few days ago to be notified when the 16 GB ones are available again. I hope I can talk myself out of buying one by then.

Cartman86

Banned
You gonna root this nexus device, or just stick with Google's bloatware?

I really really wish this thing had an amoled screen. =(

You can delete all those apps without root can't you?

Even though I've already pulled the trigger and I should have my Nexus 7 soon, I'm still curious: I bought the N7 primarily for reading (but will also use it for web browsing/other random tablet stuff). I've handled one briefly in Staples, and I know it feels good in the hand, and I imagined it would be great for reading. Have any of you guys used yours for an extensive reading? How is it? I had an iPad but could not use it as a reader as it was just too big/heavy (even though light for its size).

Haven't tried novel reading yet, but i've read comics every night and love it for that.

I've used the Nexus for reading comics and Kindle and its just brilliant for both. I actually bought the fifth volume of Locke & Key on hardcover just because I was at the store and couldn't resist it. I'd read volumes 1-4 on the nexus and found that I prefer the Nexus for comics, the artwork just seems a lot more vibrant on it, and details are easier to make out as a result.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So, I'm dumb, but I can't figure out how to debug my app on this. :( It's not showing up on ADB devices when plugged in, and USB debugging is enabled.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I should really switch to Linux one of these days. I finally got around to it at my work computer but then I didn't work there anymore...

Hieberrr

Reading is awesome. I'm reading 1Q84 using Aldiko (ebook reader app) and it's fantastic. I switched to night mode (black blackground/white text) and everything is fine. Text is sharp, scaling is what you would expect, etc... No complaints.

looking to buy the 16GB version in a few weeks.

I have a question though, is there a way to transfer files to and from the tablet to a PC/laptop/phone without rooting it?

surly

Banned
Here's what it's like when you plug it into a PC: -

W73rG.jpg

That said, I just tried installing the updated USB drivers from the Asus page, and after doing so the Nexus 7 no longer shows up in Windows Explorer. It shows up under Devices & Printers, but you can no longer browse its contents, so I would give that a miss. Just plug it in and let it do its thing without manually installing drivers and it works just fine.

Samus4145

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IEGS9W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This case shipped ahead of schedule from San Fran, so I should have it by next Monday. Poetic and Moko make virtually identical cases for the iPad and Kindle, differing only slightly on the quality of the inner microfiber cloth.

I've nearly dropped this tablet a dozen times around the office or on the street. I need a case ASAP.

Damn I was going to order that, but the release date didn't work so I got a temp. case. I needed something for QuakeCon next week.

Emily Chu

Banned

damn thats like ths best case I've seen yet in a sea of shitty cases

loving that hand grip thingy

shieeeeeeeeet I'm gonna have to rebuy this tablet one day....

probably when AOKP Jellybean is out on it love that rom and when they fix the loose screen issue, I prolly just got a lemon though.
already returned for a full refund @ gamestop, its probably going back towards it when all the hardware issues are ironed out.
oh well

Floex

looking to buy the 16GB version in a few weeks.

I have a question though, is there a way to transfer files to and from the tablet to a PC/laptop/phone without rooting it?

Use ES File server when you get. Wirelessly look at all files on your computer, transfer anything you want over this way and also streams video too

Salaadin

That case does look awesome.
I hate cases that cover the bezel. They never feel right to me and make it difficult to touch things on the edge on the touch screen, imo.

My faulty Moko case shipped yesterday. I hope it arrives tomorrow just so I have something to protect it with.

Top Bottom