• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Cheebo

Banned
Sweet. More room for comics now.

Just store your comics on google drive (or dropbox) and use perfect viewer and volia. Lots of free space. You can open cbrs/cbz files from google drive and dropbox within perfect viewer. Not in any other comic app though it seems.

Cartman86

Banned
Just store your comics on google drive (or dropbox) and use perfect viewer and volia. Lots of free space. You can open cbrs/cbz files from google drive and dropbox within perfect viewer. Not in any other comic app though it seems.

I meant more screen space for comics. Getting rid of navigation bars at the bottom.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
uxmUQl.jpg

AhXPJ.png

"Shit, how do you say that shit without moving your lips?"

Izick

I don't know, I just feel like I get things done 10x faster with a keyboard and some kind of mouse or trackpad. That and while 7" was way too small, I think 10 would still be a bit too small for me as well.

I need to unlock/root mine so I can ditch the navigation bar (soft keys, whatever) like Emily Chu and Copernicus did, and enable usb otg. That's pretty much all I want to do. What the simplest way to go about this, and would someone mind walking me through it? Keep in mind that I am a dumbass. I installed CM9 on my old Touchpad, that's about as far as I've gone with anything of this sort.

I don't know, I just feel like I get things done 10x faster with a keyboard and some kind of mouse or trackpad. That and while 7" was way too small, I think 10 would still be a bit too small for me as well.

11.6" would be perfect for me, but I'm afraid a tablet that size would be too heavy.

Izick

The factory restore completely wipes all data a 100% right? I wanted to log back in and check, but I did it right before I got to the store, and there was no unlocked Wifi available to check back into the tablet. (If there's no Wifi around, you get stuck at the Wifi screen.)

Threi

notag
I like the Stock Launcher, maybe a placebo but it feels smoother and faster to me and I don't need all the additional features.

Not being able to change the amount of homescreens is a dealbreaker for me. What in the world is up with that? In terms of smoothness I find them all pretty much the same. There isn't anything being lost but a lot being gained when you simply install another launcher from the market.

Hieberrr

The factory restore completely wipes all data a 100% right? I wanted to log back in and check, but I did it right before I got to the store, and there was no unlocked Wifi available to check back into the tablet. (If there's no Wifi around, you get stuck at the Wifi screen.)

Yup, wipes everything.

When are Google releasing their case? Does anybody know?

Cartman86

Banned
I need to unlock/root mine so I can ditch the navigation bar (soft keys, whatever) like Emily Chu and Copernicus did, and enable usb otg. That's pretty much all I want to do. What the simplest way to go about this, and would someone mind walking me through it? Keep in mind that I am a dumbass. I installed CM9 on my old Touchpad, that's about as far as I've gone with anything of this sort.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766475

Follow what the first post says. You will be downloading a PC tool that for the most part does everything for you. Also I would first download the latest Nexus 7 4.1.1 update first so you have that before you root. Downloading the update after might cause you to lose root.

Basically after you install and launch the Root Toolkit you will

1. Select your device.
2. Go through the driver configuration guide. It might seem complicated and full of skipping around, but it will all work out in the end.
3. Backup your data. If you have any data you want to backup like apps etc.
4. Unlock - This will factory reset the device. Deleting all your data.
5. Root
6. Restore data if you backed it up

5ZvAG.jpg

After the unlocking/rooting follow this to get the full screen soft keys
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1330150

and then this to get a full screen.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1497558

Not being able to change the amount of homescreens is a dealbreaker for me. What in the world is up with that? In terms of smoothness I find them all pretty much the same. There isn't anything being lost but a lot being gained when you simply install another launcher from the market.

I will have to download Nova onto my Nexus 7 and try it out again. I had it on my Nexus S for the longest time and it was a revelation on stock because it was so much smoother even though I did miss the functionality. Had it on the 7 for a bit but I switched back and can't remember why. Maybe the increased power of the tab will help speed things up.

Cartman86

Banned

Nova doesn't have any of the cool widget and app auto-moving around stuff does it?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Didn't Emily Chu return her Nexus? What's the fascination?

expert trolling? who knows. if you are in to a lot of typing on a tablet a bluetooth keyboard does help immensely, though. there just has hasn't been a compelling keyboard and case solution for either the ipad or other tablets worth the added bulk, though.

I'm getting spam notifications :/ Like 'Congratulations click here for your free iPad!'. Had no idea this could happen. Is there a way I can find out what I've downloaded that is doing this?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm getting spam notifications :/ Like 'Congratulations click here for your free iPad!'. Had no idea this could happen. Is there a way I can find out what I've downloaded that is doing this?
-Press and hold the notification then press "App Info".

Then you should see where the notification came from.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Has anyone else noticed that the device charges really slowly over usb? It honestly feels like it's barely charging, so slow.

I am disappointed that the 8GB model doesn't actually have 8GB of space available, only 5.91. I can't see myself using it all but still, Thats 2GB off!

So far i'm enjoying it. I still have no idea what the hell i'm doing, there's so many random apps you could install along with rooting the device, themes etc etc etc. It's a lot more intense than iOS.

DagsJT

Has anyone else noticed that the device charges really slowly over usb? It honestly feels like it's barely charging, so slow.

I am disappointed that the 8GB model doesn't actually have 8GB of space available, only 5.91. I can't see myself using it all but still, Thats 2GB off!

So far i'm enjoying it. I still have no idea what the hell i'm doing, there's so many random apps you could install along with rooting the device, themes etc etc etc. It's a lot more intense than iOS.

No smartphone ever states it has X amount of memory and all of that memory available to use, there's always some to take off for the OS. Otherwise they'd have to come up with a 10GB drive or something.

Also USB always charges slowly, especially with tablets due to the size of the battery.

That's exactly how I feel about my Playbook compared to my iPad 1. Nice to have but not a primary tablet.

I probably should reword that. It can't be MY primary tablet, but I can easily see it being a primary tablet to anyone. Meaning if you never used a 10 inch tablet, this 7 inch phenomenon isn't a bad place to be.

What I like about tablets in general is they take up less space than a laptop. They're convenient for portability, you can place them at a restaurant table and it's not the least bit obtrusive. The 7 inch tablets are even better for that than the 10 inch tablets, so it's like you're sneaking a peek at your paperback book.

I was that close to picking up a Kindle Fire months ago, but would have had to root it and use a new ROM and I knew they rushed that tablet out the door for Xmas. I was willing to get the Kindle Fire 2 because in the second iteration, they would have gotten things more right. Well, the Nexus 7 beat the Kindle Fire 2 out the door, and they are likely to have comparable specs so here I am, a Nexus 7 owner.

I'll still keep getting the iPads. If they did make the iPad mini, it would replace any android tablet as that's where much of my paid library is. Fortunately, the apps that I use the most are generally free and can be found in either android or iOS.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
No smartphone ever states it has X amount of memory and all of that memory available to use, there's always some to take off for the OS. Otherwise they'd have to come up with a 10GB drive or something.

Also USB always charges slowly, especially with tablets due to the size of the battery.

My original iPad doesn't seem to take that long to charge over usb. This is doing about 10% per hour, give or take.

I knew the memory wouldn't be exactly 8GB, But I wasn't expecting 2.1GB to be removed straight away from the device. I figured the OS would be under 1GB in size.

USB charging is the same speed it always was, the problem is the Nexus 7 has a battery that's 2-3x the capacity of most smartphones.

they'd also have to not update the device because updates are almost always larger... more space gone, oh no!

Salaadin

BCStore on Amazon just emailed me about the Moko case I ordered. I guess theres a small defect where the smart cover will turn off the device if you fold the front cover around the back of the device. Theyre going to send it to me anyways and then send me the revised version next week.

Just got a shipping alert from UPS that my N7 will be delivered tomorrow. Haven't actually heard anything from Google yet.

When did you order yours if you don't mind me asking? I ordered on July 17 and am patiently waiting, I know it's only been a week, I'm just very excited!

surly

Banned
BCStore on Amazon just emailed me about the Moko case I ordered. I guess theres a small defect where the smart cover will turn off the device if you fold the front cover around the back of the device. Theyre going to send it to me anyways and then send me the revised version next week.
I had the exact same issue with the case I bought.

The first case I bought had a slight cosmetic defect on the front, so I contacted the seller about it and they replied within 10 minutes to say "I'll send you a new one and you can keep the damaged one" - great customer service.

The replacement case arrived and that's when I noticed the magnet issue. I tried the original case and that does it too. It's intermittent, but still annoying.

I emailed the seller to warn him in case he ends up with lots of customers asking for refunds and he phoned me 10 minutes later. He apologised and said that it was down to the design of the tablet. He said that he'd tried various case designs and different magnet strengths/positions and it was a choice of either having the magnets in there, but occasionally having them trigger the sensor when the flap is folded behind the tablet, or removing the magnets altogether and losing the feature full stop.

He offered me a choice of either having a refund or of him sending me a case with no magnets in it. As the case was only £7 and he'd sent me 2 already, I chose neither and said I'd stick with the case I have for now. He said that if he does ever solve the issue he'll send me a revised case for free - although he did also clarify that he'd tried and failed to get it to work 100% and was insistent that it's the tablet design that's the cause.

I'm interested to see how others get on with cases that have magnets in them. As the issue only occurs a fraction of the time, the magnetism must be borderline powerful enough to trigger the sensor from behind. I don't think the seller was lying to me, but just because he couldn't solve the issue it doesn't mean that other manufacturers won't be able to.

e_i

Heh...I was in the Gallery app and looking through some pictures...except it doesn't seem to have the flick from side to side to move through pictures like the iPad. I flicked the picture down and it deleted the picture.

th3dude

So is this tablet worth getting? Any major issues?
I don't own a tablet and thinking this might be my first.

There is a lot of talk about the screen not being tight to the base of the device. Apparently one side of the screen becomes a little loose and some have opened up their devices to tighten it. Obviously most of the units aren't doing this, but enough of them are that there has been talk. (My unit does not do this).

The colors are not as crisp as say the Galaxy Nexus, but they aren't bad to the normal eye.

Other than that, I haven't heard of any issues. My unit has no issues and is working great. I'm loving it.

Salaadin

I had the exact same issue with the case I bought.

The first case I bought had a slight cosmetic defect on the front, so I contacted the seller about it and they replied within 10 minutes to say "I'll send you a new one and you can keep the damaged one" - great customer service.

The replacement case arrived and that's when I noticed the magnet issue. I tried the original case and that does it too. It's intermittent, but still annoying.

I emailed the seller to warn him in case he ends up with lots of customers asking for refunds and he phoned me 10 minutes later. He apologised and said that it was down to the design of the tablet. He said that he'd tried various case designs and different magnet strengths/positions and it was a choice of either having the magnets in there, but occasionally having them trigger the sensor when the flap is folded behind the tablet, or removing the magnets altogether and losing the feature full stop.

He offered me a choice of either having a refund or of him sending me a case with no magnets in it. As the case was only £7 and he'd sent me 2 already, I chose neither and said I'd stick with the case I have for now. He said that if he does ever solve the issue he'll send me a revised case for free - although he did also clarify that he'd tried and failed to get it to work 100% and was insistent that it's the tablet design that's the cause.

I'm interested to see how others get on with cases that have magnets in them. As the issue only occurs a fraction of the time, the magnetism must be borderline powerful enough to trigger the sensor from behind. I don't think the seller was lying to me, but just because he couldn't solve the issue it doesn't mean that other manufacturers won't be able to.

lol, I took the Nexus out and stacked it on top of my rooCase(has smartcover feature) and it kept shutting it off.

Same defect, definitely a tablet design defect.

So its common then. Lol.
I wonder how theyre going to get around it. The Moko guy said in the email that they fixed it. Is there some kind of material they can put on the back to shield it from the magnet? I have no idea.

Im probably just going to get the case, slice it open, rip the magnet out, and go with it. When they send me the revision, assuming it works, Ill switch to that one.
I just want a case now. I want to carry this thing around with me but Im nervous about dropping it.

Zeth

I placed my order yesterday. Does google update your account when it ships, or does it just magically show up for delivery?

Floex

Thanks for the link, Threi

Why is though that it is so hard to find a case for this thing that doesn't look like a piece of shit? >_< I want to take it on my commute but hell am I just throwing it into my bag

Shambles

While in the Seattle area I picked up a 7 for my aunt from Staples. So far I like the device despite some issues. No SD card, no back facing camera, or even camera app for the front facing camera, home screen doesn't rotate to landscape mode. My problem is that I am trying to get the $25 credit for her on the play store. Now I know there are parts of the store that aren't available to Canada so I want to try to get this promotion while I'm still physically in the states. During device setup we skipped the step about the $25 credit. From what I can read in order to get the credit you have to add a credit card to your account. Details are vague but I assume that means adding a CC to your google wallet? However, when trying that I only see three things. I can add a citigroup CC, add a gift card or add a pre-pay card. Why the hell can't I just "add a CC", why is this so damn complicated. The closest choice to adding a mastercard appears to be the pre-pay. But even when clicking that the wallet sits there saying "attempting to authorize card" forever and then doesn't even let me try any other card. Not only that but when rebooting the device and opening up the google wallet again it still is stuck "trying to authorize".

Has anyone got this shit to work using a mastercard and not setting up the google account during the device setup?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm rooting my Nexus 7 as soon as it gets in my hands which should be on Friday

What is this "LMT" and "button savior" you guys are talking about? Going fullscreen? What do these things accomplish for you?

It's not that I am root-illiterate, I just haven't jumped into the world of Jelly Bean on the N7, since i just got finished selling my Kindle Fire that had ICS (updated it to JB for value but didn't play with that much). Any links would be appreciated, as I want to have the best experience before I actually start putting content and stuff on it.

I'm rooting my Nexus 7 as soon as it gets in my hands which should be on Friday

What is this "LMT" and "button savior" you guys are talking about? Going fullscreen? What do these things accomplish for you?

It's not that I am root-illiterate, I just haven't jumped into the world of Jelly Bean on the N7, since i just got finished selling my Kindle Fire that had ICS (updated it to JB for value but didn't play with that much). Any links would be appreciated, as I want to have the best experience before I actually start putting content and stuff on it.
The full screen and lmt links are on this very page. Button savior and lmt I use in conjunction because full screen gets rid of the Nav bar so you have no back button, home button and recent apps button. Youll have to map those functions to lmt and/or button savior before you apply the full screen apk. Full screen with xscope browser gives me a lot of real estate back when browsing

Top Bottom