• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Zeth

OK so my order cancellation didn't make it through in time and it shipped (got one at Staples).

I don't understand why I couldn't just click a cancel button. Instead I had to submit what looked like an email ticket which hasn't been replied to yet. Fake edit: Google told me I could leave a note/tell UPS to return to sender and it should work itself out.

BFIB

Zeth, you might want to try Craigslist also. A friend of mine went through this hassle, and ended up selling his 16GB for $320.

Any of you guys have scratches yet? I don't know how but mine already has a long one across the top. It isn't noticeable unless the light catches it at an angle, but still annoying. Between that and the creaking glass, makes me wanna exchange it :l

Zeth

Where does the creaking come from? Heh, I almost don't want to get into it, drove myself crazy with the iPad screen "issues".

Zeth, you might want to try Craigslist also. A friend of mine went through this hassle, and ended up selling his 16GB for $320.

Thanks for the tip, but I'm hoping to just send it back. If I get stuck with it that's nice to know.

Any software suggestions? I'm guessing launchers aren't a great idea? Considering Swift Key. Need a good battery widget too.

Where does the creaking come from? Heh, I almost don't want to get into it, drove myself crazy with the iPad screen "issues".

Thanks for the tip, but I'm hoping to just send it back. If I get stuck with it that's nice to know.

Any software suggestions? I'm guessing launchers aren't a great idea? Considering Swift Key.
I'm not quite sure myself but tightening the screws seems to be but a temp fix because it came back on mine. It kinda drives me nuts. I'll probably contact Staples about it, but the thought of waiting on this thing to come back in stock is not a pleasant thought at all, and the thought of potentially getting another lemon is even worse :l

Oh and I'm using Nova launcher and multi picture wallpaper like Threi, pretty neat layout, but a little time consuming to set up

I mean how do I recreate the creaking? The corners, middle? Maybe I got lucky.
Its on the left side of the tablet when held in portrait mode. Nearly the entire vertical length of mine is raised, but its most prominent in the middle. If you want to see if yours is affected, press against the side of the bezel and the glass will raise up

bjscott05

Damn. After a week and 3 days my Nexus now creaks and there are visible light differences when I press down on the screen. Guess I'll have to contact Stapes for a replacement, but I'm a bit worried this is happening on too many devices. Strange that it would only start after a week of owning it. I'm gentle with my electronics too. :(

Zeth

No creaking here. Some minor bleed on one edge, but I've long ago stopped worrying about perfect screens on mobile devices.

anx10us

Banned
Halp, I have my Nexus and love it, moving from IOS, I'm working through everything to get it customised as I would like, however I just deleted the Google Play App/Icon, how do I get it back ?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Halp, I have my Nexus and love it, moving from IOS, I'm working through everything to get it customised as I would like, however I just deleted the Google Play App/Icon, how do I get it back ?

Open your app drawer, the icon in the bottom middle, find it in there and drag it to the homescreen.

kehs

Banned
Hmm they have the 8gb models for sale at a staples just a 4 blocks from my house......

I'm a fucking idiot......

Should I ????

LOL

---

I was eating dinner with one hand and scrolling and article with an n7 in the other last night.

Felt like the future.

Cipherr

Hmm they have the 8gb models for sale at a staples just a 4 blocks from my house......

I'm a fucking idiot......

Should I ????

Wow seriously?
xzbitlol.png

kehs

Banned
41 and 60 percent gamut.

Not surprisingly at all.

I might trade up for the first 7" samoled that pops up next.

This thing doesn't have 5ghz wifi? bwah?

Emily Chu

Banned
Oh boy herewegoagain.jog

5HBtTl.jpg

Just checking out other tabs now.... hehehehehehehehe

Idk I hope I don't walk out with a 7......

It might creek again like after a week....

Emily Chu

Banned
LOL

---

I was eating dinner with one hand and scrolling and article with an n7 in the other last night.

Felt like the future.

I could do the same with mah gnex brah... : D

Meanwhile I'm pacing around aimlessly in staples trying not to buy this thing again oh lawldy

Salaadin

Omg it does feel tiny after using a 7...

You got the 8gb right ? How is it ? Any creeks or stuff ?
Any regrets ?

Damn I am torn about this dunno if want buy again...

If you have to convince youself that hard to NOT buy something, you probably want it enough that you should just buy it.

Btw, mine was perfect when I got it, some of you said just wait, well it has been a week or so and still perfect hardware quality wise.

Mine is fine too.

Threi

notag
For random app reviews after using this

As said before for launchers (if you don't want to use the stock one): I recommend Nova. I like Apex more, but Apex has some Jellybean/Nexus 7-specific bugs. Nova works a lot better.

For keyboards i tried both swiftkey3 and thumb keyboard and i prefer thumb. The layouts in thumb keyboard are actually well thought out and i do notice that i type a LOT faster with less errors on it. I would rather use the stock keyboard but for some reason stock jellybean keyboard doesn't have longpress for numbers on the top row of keys (why? it's been in every android keyboard, why omit it now?) so when typing things that have numbers and letters in them it winds up taking a long time.

dwebo

Btw, mine was perfect when I got it, some of you said just wait, well it has been a week or so and still perfect hardware quality wise.

I think at least some of the people that had creaks develop after a week just started poking and prodding harder after more people were complaining about it

I noticed that shit right away on mine /hipster

I think at least some of the people that had creaks develop after a week just started poking and prodding harder after more people were complaining about it

You just gonna stick with yours? I'm probably gonna exchange it but I'm afraid of dead pixels or a combo of creak and dead pixels on the replacement. Also, Staples exchange is good for only 14 days from the purchase of the original product, and I'm on day 10 :/

dwebo

You just gonna stick with yours? I'm probably gonna exchange it but I'm afraid of dead pixels or a combo of creak and dead pixels on the replacement. Also, Staples exchange is good for only 14 days from the purchase of the original product, and I'm on day 10 :/

mine had a small scratch on the screen out of the box, so I've just been waiting for a local staples to have stock to exchange with, but still no luck. running up against the two weeks as well, so I'm either going to return and wait or return and switch to an 8gb this weekend - haven't decided yet

the creak never bothered me that much (well, outside of my initial disappointment), and dead pixels are a small enough chance with any device, so I'm not too worried in that regard

U2NUMB

24 hours in and my impressions.

Tablet history.. owned a Transformer a few months back .. returned it due to the feeling of it being large enough I might as well have my laptop with me. Also had a Kindle Fire for the last few months.

+This little thing is fantastic. Super quick.
+Integration with google is so smooth and so well done.
+The ability to customize with widgets really sets it apart from the IOS setup.
+For me the size is perfect for a tablet. This is something I would bring with me. Handed it around the office and everyone agreed and enjoyed the size in their hand. When I told them 199 price point you could see their eyes light up.
+The OS overall is just so well designed. Seems light years ahead of the android OS i was using back on the transformer. Well done Google I was mostly worried about this but I am sold.
+Build quality seems fine on mine with no issues. I am taking it very easy on it and hope nothing pops up but it does feel great in your hand.

No negatives yet.. honestly this thing is fantastic. The integration with everything from Google Drive to Dropbox really is slick. Gonna post a couple screenshots of how I have my desktop. I am fairly happy with them at the moment but the ADD in me will have me tweaking forever.

1.png
2.png
3.png

24 hours in and my impressions.

Tablet history.. owned a Transformer a few months back .. returned it due to the feeling of it being large enough I might as well have my laptop with me. Also had a Kindle Fire for the last few months.

+This little thing is fantastic. Super quick.
+Integration with google is so smooth and so well done.
+The ability to customize with widgets really sets it apart from the IOS setup.
+For me the size is perfect for a tablet. This is something I would bring with me. Handed it around the office and everyone agreed and enjoyed the size in their hand. When I told them 199 price point you could see their eyes light up.
+The OS overall is just so well designed. Seems light years ahead of the android OS i was using back on the transformer. Well done Google I was mostly worried about this but I am sold.
+Build quality seems fine on mine with no issues. I am taking it very easy on it and hope nothing pops up but it does feel great in your hand.

No negatives yet.. honestly this thing is fantastic. The integration with everything from Google Drive to Dropbox really is slick. Gonna post a couple screenshots of how I have my desktop. I am fairly happy with them at the moment but the ADD in me will have me tweaking forever.

1.png
2.png
3.png

Normally, I don't like too much on my home screen, but you did it well.

bob page

Mine actually started creaking after 4 days. I think the screen was a bit out of level when I opened it and pressure from holding the screen/bezel caused it to start creaking.

mine had a small scratch on the screen out of the box, so I've just been waiting for a local staples to have stock to exchange with, but still no luck. running up against the two weeks as well, so I'm either going to return and wait or return and switch to an 8gb this weekend - haven't decided yet

the creak never bothered me that much (well, outside of my initial disappointment), and dead pixels are a small enough chance with any device, so I'm not too worried in that regard
Ill probably take a chance on it then. Im too ocd about it so im always pressing down on the left side to keep it from popping up.

And does anyone know if those memory optimization apps do anything? I miss SB settings on ios , which let me respring the phone to free up memory. I get intermittent lag on this thing after awhile. Typing lags and its unresponsive and comixology gets really aggravating to use as well. Its fixed with a reboot though

Remind me to never preorder from Google ever again.

edit: Because the device arrived defective. Pain in the ass, not to mention the shipping charge and the fact they've been available in-store for at least a week.

Emily Chu

Banned
But you didn't like the Nexus 7? :D

no I didn't.... well thats the half truth, loved the software on a 7" screen hated the hardware defects, bulky back, weight and smallish awkward portrait bezels.

I'm glad it's not in stock though, did they lie to me over the phone ? wut

maybe it's a sign saying I should just wait and hold on to me tablet monies... until either a revision later or a next gen Nexus 7... idk

in all honesty I should just get a better laptop one that last 10 hrs or so.

Top Bottom