• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

jakncoke

Banned
Seriously is east Cleveland as bad as it seems? I worry the day I finally go to cleveland to see a game I make one wrong turn end up there and get shanked to death. :(

Well there is like 25k people is that section and like every week on TV you hear about rapes and people found dead on the side of roads, drugs..ect. So yeah I would say its pretty bad.

LevelNth

Banned
Ages of the Niners starting 11 on D: DL: 33, 31, 28. LB: 28, 27, 24, 23. DB: 31, 28, 28, 27.

Of those, Sopoaga is the most likely to be let go or re-signed on the cheap, as DL is the top draft priority this year (new NT and DT replacement for Smith).

We already have Culliver at CB who is a stud, only 24 and in line to replace Rogers (who will either be restructured or cut this offseason), and our LB's are 26 years old average, with three signed long term already.

Oh and the Niners also have over $12m in salary room cuts available just for Alex, Parys Haralson and Brandon Jacobs (all guarantees to go IMO), and 13 draft picks next year, more than any other team.

Tomlin had his number from the start. Dude is a one trick pony, who needs to beat the defense clean to be of use. We already have Antonio Brown to be worked into space for difficult catches. Wallace is too specialized. Dude is allergic to contact and his speed isn't going to last the length of the contract he gets.

Pretty much, which is why I wish Tomlin had the guts to force him down the roster earlier and more often. He teased with it by saying he and Sanders were co-starters at that one point, but he never went all in. Don't half ass it, Mike!

Pretty much, which is why I wish Tomlin had the guts to force him down the roster earlier and more often. He teased with it by saying he and Sanders were co-starters at that one point, but he never went all in. Don't half ass it, Mike!

It was too late by that point. He should have done it after he disappeared late last season. That's not Tomlin's M.O. though, unless you're a running back.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Honestly, I don't like the matchup for the Niners. Your O-line and running back are the type that have been giving the Niners D trouble this season. Of course I'm not sure how your defense matches up with the Niners offense.

Our defense matches up with the San Fran's offense about as well as it does with Seatle's offense: poorly (as anyone could tell by the 2nd half). But Wilson played a mostly mistake free game while our offense made uncharacteristic turnovers and pentalities, yet we still pulled it out. I don't see Kap playing a major-mistake free game against us on the road, and I think our offense will be more penalty + turnover-free against San Fran.

He's not a machine. Your defense fucking sucks dick. Guys were open by 10 yards. That doesn't happen in an NFL regular season game let alone a playoff game.

If you don't play drastically better D not only will you lose, you will get blown out

He is most definitely a machine. He showed poise all year in a lot of adverse situations, including going into San Fran and absolutely destroying them. I'm not talking about just the game he had against us. And while our defense was pretty bad yesterday we've had weeks where we play bad D and then turn it on the next week so we can play better, who knows if we will though. All I know is I think both QBs are pretty good but I'd rather play against Kaepernick than Wilson.

JCizzle

He is most definitely a machine. He showed poise all year in a lot of adverse situations, including going into San Fran and absolutely destroying them. I'm not talking about just the game he had against us. And while our defense was pretty bad yesterday we've had weeks where we play bad D and then turn it on the next week so we can play better, who knows if we will though. All I know is I think both QBs are pretty good but I'd rather play against Kaepernick than Wilson.

You said Wilson is 10x the QB. Based on what ?

When did that happen? Niners beat Seattle at home this year

He lost in San Fran and had 4 passing yards in the 2nd half of that game so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

As I said, he made maybe 1 or 2 difficult throws yesterday. Guys were wide open. A poor defensive game plan and/or execution.

And you aren't playing kap. You're playing the 49ers. If your defense plays like it did against the Seahawks you will be blown out. There is no reason to believe you won't improve except that mike Nolan is a joke.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Blast from the Past:

Before the game said:
I have to be at work 3:45 pm today, so I imagine I'll be going in [to work] at the middle of the third quarter when it is 21 (Falcons) to 10 (Hawks), and then the rest of game I'll catch quick glimpses of the Falcons blowing a lead like they have done all year long.

Final prediction: 28 to 27, Falcons!

20-0 said:
Seriously guys, game isn't over. I've seen the Falcons let lesser teams come back from this wayyyyyy too many times.

Was I right or was I right?

Ja, defensive fucking sucked yesterday.
Whatever the fuck happened in that 4th quarter, trash it and go back on the drawing board on that, god damn.
Seemed like every down it was a 20 yard pass to Miller. They were going up and down the field like we didn't even field a defense. Total garbage.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
And to think, if I didn't have a brain fart and skip a week, I would have been in the top five.

Still, 13th isn't a bad position to be in the pick-em league.

I think the Super Bowl will be a Falcons- Pats matchup, IMHO.

Pretty damning article on Howie Roseman and the Eagles HC search by La Canfora.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...ions-scrutiny-now-settling-on-shaky-eagles-gm

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone told me one esteemed coach or another advised one of the Eagles' top candidates not to take the job precisely because of Roseman's presence there. Roseman isn't the general manager they should tie their wagon to. It's clear Chip Kelly wasn't leaving Oregon for anywhere unless he had a large measure of control over the organization, and owner Jeffrey Lurie has already entrusted that to Roseman. There has been trepidation by some candidates to go all-in given the questions about this existing power structure.

The rumblings about Roseman lacking nuance and foresight, about him turning people off with how drunk with power he's become, only grow louder as his coaching search grows stranger.

Now, the Eagles would tell you they are right where they thought they would be in this search, now going on Week 3. They'll tell you they just wanted to talk to a bunch of bright football minds and do their due diligence. All part of the process. They didn't really want Chip Kelly or Bill O'Brien or Doug Marrone or Brian Kelly, anyway. Riigghht. Sure. I mean, if you couldn't get anyone to take your job or work with you, wouldn't you indulge in the same revisionist history?

You said Wilson is 10x the QB. Based on what ?

Obviously 10x is hyperbole but I believe he is a better all around passer, Kaep may have a bit better deep ball but Wilson is extremely smart in his decision making on when to run or take his shots downfield, and rarely made mistakes, especially in the second half of the season.

When did that happen? Niners beat Seattle at home this year

I definitely meant in the Seattle home game. The other game was pretty early in the year if I remember correctly they were still testing the waters with Wilson and not letting him do too much.

He lost in San Fran and had 4 passing yards in the 2nd half of that game so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

As I said, he made maybe 1 or 2 difficult throws yesterday. Guys were wide open. A poor defensive game plan and/or execution.

And you aren't playing kap. You're playing the 49ers. If your defense plays like it did against the Seahawks you will be blown out. There is no reason to believe you won't improve except that mike Nolan is a joke.

Believe me I am not taking the 49ers lightly, even though I think we will win I don't believe we should even be favored to win which we aren't, I'm just saying I'd rather play RW than CK. That being said we weren't just playing Russell Wilson either yesterday, we beat a pretty good Seahawks team even if just by the skin of our teeth.

So Steelers fans hate Mike Wallace. Interesting. I'm guessing I'd hear similar thoughts on Greg Jennings from Packers fans? He seems to have had a down year this year even apart from the injury issues. Regardless, if the Dolphins go out and spend big money on one of those guys at least they will have someone that forces the defense to respect the deep ball (assuming Tannehill's accuracy improves). Right now they simply don't have an over the top threat, and their receivers are pitiful at picking up YAC as well.

Obviously 10x is hyperbole but I believe he is a better all around passer, Kaep may have a bit better deep ball but Wilson is extremely smart in his decision making on when to run or take his shots downfield, and rarely made mistakes, especially in the second half of the season.

I definitely meant in the Seattle home game. The other game was pretty early in the year if I remember correctly they were still testing the waters with Wilson and not letting him do too much.

Believe me I am not taking the 49ers lightly, even though I think we will win I don't believe we should even be favored to win which we aren't, I'm just saying I'd rather play RW than CK. That being said we weren't just playing Russell Wilson either yesterday, we beat a pretty good Seahawks team even if just by the skin of our teeth.

Again, what difficult throw did Wilson make yesterday? I'm being honest. The dude had forever to throw and would eventually find a guy that had no one within 10 yards of him.

Wilson is obviously good but I think you are overrating him. That's fine though. Your D survived the elite wussle so you shouldn't fear that bum kap!

Talon

I take solace in the fact that we just played a similar sort of team with a mobile QB and a power running game. Not that it prepares us 100% or anything, but you have an entire gametape of your personnel playing against that team just a week before.

I understand why the big gaps were there, mostly along the sidelines. We were content sitting back in a zone as long as we kept Russell sealed inside for the most part and preventing a big bomb. It worked beautifully in the first half, and we bottled up Marshawn. As much as the league has changed, a team that runs on you with impunity is more of a death sentence than throwing up and down the field.

The difference of that halves is that Seattle abandoned the run in the second half, but we didn't switch back to more of a man look, where we've had most of our success all season.

Every game plays out differently. Defense has had their best games against pocket passers - Peyton, Eli, Rivers. Nolan isn't able to play as much muddle huddle when the QB is a running threat. But, again, I think it helps that we've played a similar style team. I don't think we'll be able to run as easily on the 49ers though if Smith is any healthier.

Abraham's health is the biggest question going into Sunday.

So Steelers fans hate Mike Wallace. Interesting. I'm guessing I'd hear similar thoughts on Greg Jennings from Packers fans? He seems to have had a down year this year even apart from the injury issues. Regardless, if the Dolphins go out and spend big money on one of those guys at least they will have someone that forces the defense to respect the deep ball (assuming Tannehill's accuracy improves). Right now they simply don't have an over the top threat, and their receivers are pitiful at picking up YAC as well.

Thing is an over the top threat means nothing if you don't have guys underneath to exploit it. Steelers and Packers do. Dolphins don't.

verbum

Tony spoke for the fans, especially the ones who went through the 2006-2007 seasons.

"When you have that type of lead going into the fourth quarter, you're supposed to win the game," Gonzalez said. "And we couldn't hang on. I figured it just wasn't meant to be. You start to rationalize; maybe it's just not going to happen. But that's why emotionally, when he kicked that field goal, and it went through the uprights, I was on the ground crying like a little baby. I kissed the earth. I couldn't believe it."

This is what makes this game great, isn't it? When someone like Gonzalez, who has been good to the game for all of these years, finally accepts his fate as a postseason loser ... only to have it all spin into a career that could end with a Super Bowl appearance if his team can just sneak out one more massive win next week.

"You tell yourself it just wasn't meant to be," Gonzalez said about his lack of playoff success. "You try to look at the spiritual side of things. And you try to have acceptance. But I'll tell you what, it's better to get the victory, to get that playoff monkey off my back. Hopefully, it's onto bigger and better things. We still have some goals to accomplish."

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/story/0ap1000000126227/article/atlanta-falcons-prevail-in-astounding-divisionalround-weekend

Thing is an over the top threat means nothing if you don't have guys underneath to exploit it. Steelers and Packers do. Dolphins don't.
Hartline and Bess are made for that role. Hartline in particular has the potential to thrive as a no. 2 receiver. I'm also hoping they draft a receiver or two that can contribute from day one.

jmdajr

bestafc16.jpg

bestnfc16.jpg

Table 3: Optimal realignment for the NFL's choice of AFC and NFC. Value: 41152km See maps of the NFC and AFC.
NFC
South - Atlanta Carolina New Orleans Tampa Bay
North - Chicago Green Bay Minnesota St Louis
West - Arizona Dallas San Francisco Seattle
East - Detroit NY Giants Philadelphia Washington

AFC
East - Baltimore New England Buffalo NY Jets
North - Cincinnati Cleveland Indianapolis Pittsburgh
West - Denver Kansas City Oakland San Diego
South - Houston Jacksonville Miami Tennessee

http://eaton.math.rpi.edu/faculty/mitchell/generators/realign/solutions.html

I like it man :)

tmdorsey

It is such bullshit though. We have one of the better QBs in the league, the BEST recieving core in the league (White, Jones, Gonzalez), top ten in points allowed, top five in turnovers forced per game, and we have the fewest pentalities.... Ever. Oh and we just beat the darling of the league (who just got done stomping the 49ers 4 weeks ago) in thrilling fashion. Yet here I am watching Mike and Mike (and other sports outlets) mostly talking about the other remaining three teams and even focusing on the Seahawks and Wilson more then the Falcons when yesterday's game comes up in the discussion.

This isn't a beauty contest, and we have consistently won and been close to the top of our game all season long yet San Fran already seems to be pencilled in for the Super Bowl.

It will behoove you to just don't worry the media. Just listen to the local media is you are itching to hear some talk about the team. The national media has no clue about the team so their opinions the majority of the time come off as ignorant anyways.

I honestly don't care what his team affiliation is. He essentially replaced a guy who knows his football facts and history with someone who's ignorant in both.

He's pulling for my team and I still don't like him.

You can't really blame him for a dumbfounded bet that LJ himself proposed. LJ thinking low enough of the Falcons that we as a #1 seed couldn't possibly win a game at home against a team traveling 5 hours and losing 3 hours with the time change was the ultimate disrespect, IMO.

bestafc16.jpg

bestnfc16.jpg

Table 3: Optimal realignment for the NFL's choice of AFC and NFC. Value: 41152km See maps of the NFC and AFC.
NFC
South - Atlanta Carolina New Orleans Tampa Bay
North - Chicago Green Bay Minnesota St Louis
West - Arizona Dallas San Francisco Seattle
East - Detroit NY Giants Philadelphia Washington

AFC
East - Baltimore New England Buffalo NY Jets
North - Cincinnati Cleveland Indianapolis Pittsburgh
West - Denver Kansas City Oakland San Diego
South - Houston Jacksonville Miami Tennessee

http://eaton.math.rpi.edu/faculty/mitchell/generators/realign/solutions.html

Wait, why does the nfl need realignment?

Talon

There's no point in caring about the perception of your team. Who cares? They play the game and that's all that matters.

Talon

By the way, in case something looked different about the Falcons uniforms yesterday - it's because of the Captain's patches. The team doesn't wear them during the regular season.

Talon said:
There's no point in caring about the perception of your team. Who cares? They play the game and that's all that matters.
Indeed.

I'll never understand why people give two shits about whether the media of all things shows you respect. The media in most cases don't know their heads from their asses and if you're team is hoisting that trophy when its all said and done the rest is meaningless.

Wellington said:
WELCOME TO OBSCURITY FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES.

Baaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
Seems like the Redskins have simply slotted in now to take their place if RGIII is able to maintain his health. Dallas is a circus and Jerry does everything he can to keep them irrelevant and now the Eagles are rebuilding..

It doesn't, I just want to face the Dolphins twice a year.
You guys really are embracing your historic dominance over the Dolphins after yesterday's game, aren't you? It's kind of sad in a way.

The Texans don't need two more wins a year. They get enough of those in the regular season. Beating up on the Dolphins isn't going to prevent you from losing in the playoffs. Just sayin'.

tmdorsey

I take solace in the fact that we just played a similar sort of team with a mobile QB and a power running game. Not that it prepares us 100% or anything, but you have an entire gametape of your personnel playing against that team just a week before.

I understand why the big gaps were there, mostly along the sidelines. We were content sitting back in a zone as long as we kept Russell sealed inside for the most part and preventing a big bomb. It worked beautifully in the first half, and we bottled up Marshawn. As much as the league has changed, a team that runs on you with impunity is more of a death sentence than throwing up and down the field.

The difference of that halves is that Seattle abandoned the run in the second half, but we didn't switch back to more of a man look, where we've had most of our success all season.

Every game plays out differently. Defense has had their best games against pocket passers - Peyton, Eli, Rivers. Nolan isn't able to play as much muddle huddle when the QB is a running threat. But, again, I think it helps that we've played a similar style team. I don't think we'll be able to run as easily on the 49ers though if Smith is any healthier.

Abraham's health is the biggest question going into Sunday.

Hopefully Smith steps in and makes Nolan realize that adjustments should have been made in the second half when the Seahawks abandoned the run. I have faith that what happened to GB won't happen to us as far as Kap having wide open running lanes. I do think Russell is a bit better passer than Kap, so that in itself allows you to defense him a little different than we did Wilson.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
You can't really blame him for a dumbfounded bet that LJ himself proposed. LJ thinking low enough of the Falcons that we as a #1 seed couldn't possibly win a game at home against a team traveling 5 hours and losing 3 hours with the time change was the ultimate disrespect, IMO.
You're talking as if Seattle was blown out.

Again, what difficult throw did Wilson make yesterday? I'm being honest. The dude had forever to throw and would eventually find a guy that had no one within 10 yards of him.

Wilson is obviously good but I think you are overrating him. That's fine though. Your D survived the elite wussle so you shouldn't fear that bum kap!

He didn't have very many difficult throws yesterday to make but he still made clutch plays by being shifty in the pocket but like I said I'm talking over the course of the season. Maybe I am overrating him but we will see. Also I never said Kap was a bum, just that I'd rather play Wilson. Kaep is much faster around the edge and can hit a good deep ball but Wilson is a lot shiftier in the pocket and IMO Wilson is the better all around passer.

cajunator

Banned

I agree with this. nobody ever really gave a fuck about the Saints until they became a threat but the team was never respected even before bountygate. winning that super bowl was so awesome and that feeling can never be replaced. If our penance for winning it was this fucked up season and our name smeared, so be it. It was totally worth it.

I agree that LJ's pride got him in trouble.

Pretty damning article on Howie Roseman and the Eagles HC search by La Canfora.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...ions-scrutiny-now-settling-on-shaky-eagles-gm
LOL at him saying that Rosemans tenure has been marred by signing Nnmadi, which everyone on Earth said was a great signing at the time, and cutting Babin, who was having a horrible season and was a problem in the locker room. Everyone knew it was going to be tough to get a big time coach since those guys want power and Lurie doesnt want a coach to have that power after how things went with Reid. Someone will take the job and hopefully they will do a good job.

Talon

It's unfair as shit that Peyton catches the brunt of the criticism when (A) Fox had no business taking the ball out of Peyton's hands and (B) the Broncos secondary had no business fucking up so badly.
I agree with this. nobody ever really gave a fuck about the Saints until they became a threat but the team was never respected even before bountygate. winning that super bowl was so awesome and that feeling can never be replaced. If our penance for winning it was this fucked up season and our name smeared, so be it. It was totally worth it.
Right. We only remember the Super Bowl champion - we don't remember that Minnesota should have had a FG attempt if Favre didn't give the game away.

yankeehater said:
LOL at him saying that Rosemans tenure has been marred by signing Nnmadi, which everyone on Earth said was a great signing at the time
Which has what to do with it being an awful big money signing in retrospect? You're judged by your teams performance on the field not reeling in big free agents that look good "at the time". What was Nnamdi getting paid to ride the pine again?

Babin I'll give you. Overrated as fuck and a locker room cancer.

Hopefully Smith steps in and makes Nolan realize that adjustments should have been made in the second half when the Seahawks abandoned the run. I have faith that what happened to GB won't happen to us as far as Kap having wide open running lanes. I do think Russell is a bit better passer than Kap, so that in itself allows you to defense him a little different than we did Wilson.

Wilson did more damage running when he was scrambling, not too much from the read option look because our DE's seemed to stay home most of the time which is exactly what they should do.

Green Bay's downfall was their guy on the end constantly crashing to the RB, leaving the outside lane wide open.

Top Bottom