• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

ari

Banned
You know what's crazy? If the fucking PATS would of just beat the god damn 49ers we would have been the #2 seed. 49ers would have taken care of the Falcons and we would of had TWO HOME PLAYOFF GAMES for a chance to play Joe Flacco.

I want to kill myself... this golden opportunity might not ever come again.
By logic that fail mary game should have been a L. So if the niners get beat by the pats. The packers would have clinched the second seed even with a vikings L. But, you know........ :/

squicken

Wilson isn't a running QB.

He's not a running QB in the sense that he is not an option QB, but he is a running QB relative to his peers. He broke Alex Smith's record for fewest attempts by a 16 game starter. Alex had 445, Russel had 393.

Rushing yards:

RG3 815
Newton 741
Wilson 489
Kap 415
Vick 332
Locker 291
Rodgers 259

Heck, he might have been the 2nd or 3rd best QB in football last year by the end of the season. Game is changing. He's part of it.

The fact is, with rookies playing bigger roles than ever, teams can turn quickly. In each direction. All you have to do is look at the rookie classes of two teams in 2012 to see that. The Seahawks improved by four wins this year. The Steelers regressed by four wins this year. The 2012 draft, for both teams, was a big reason.

The Steelers got two bad injuries in training camp, to first- and third-round picks David DeCastro, a guard, and linebacker Sean Spence. DeCastro returned for the last three games, had a disastrous outing against the Bengals' Geno Atkins, and basically had a washout of a season. Spence suffered a bad knee injury in the preseason and missed the season. Second-round pick Mike Adams, a tackle, had a poor preseason but played better as the season progressed.

Here's where the draft got dicey for Pittsburgh. Fourth-round running back Chris Rainey played sparingly, then was cut this month after an altercation with a woman. Fifth-round pick Alameda Ta'amu was waived after a DUI in midseason, then re-signed late in the season. Pittsburgh's four seventh-round picks were non-factors. In 2013 and beyond, DeCastro and maybe Adams could be reliable players. But Pittsburgh drafted nine players last April, and through some fault of their own and through injuries, the Steelers got very low impact from the draft, particularly where it was needed most -- on the offensive line.

Now for Seattle. Seattle got an eight-sack pass-rusher, Bruce Irvin, in the first round; a potential Defensive Rookie of the Year, linebacker Bobby Wagner, to buttress a weak 'backer corps in the second round, and a potential franchise quarterback (though it's still early to pass final judgment), Russell Wilson, in the third round. The Seahawks also selected a solid backup to Marshawn Lynch in the fourth round, Robert Turbin, a part-time starter at guard in the seventh round, J.R. Sweezy, and nickel backs and special-teamers Winston Guy and Jeremy Lane in the sixth. Imagine drafting strong candidates for the offensive and defensive rookie awards -- and getting them with the 47th and 75th overall picks.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...rback-conference-championships/#ixzz2IcG5O5ru

Wes

venison crêpe
With no interesting story or angle for the sports networks to cover for this Superbowl matchup can we just all start focusing on the real Superbowl - the draft - now?

Tabris

Running QBs is not the answer. They are exciting but how much is it actually working and how long does it last? Sure RG3 took a shitty WSH team and turned them into a playoff contender, but he's now injured. Both Wilson and Kap benefit from being on high calibur teams. The rest were either injured multiple times in the year (Locker / Vick) or it didn't really help the team.

You show me a running QB that lasts for more than 3 seasons uninjured.

You put a Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, or Drew Brees on the 49ers and they create a football dynasty. Kap is good and exciting, but a) Can't compete against a true elite pocket QB, b) Won't last 3 seasons if he keeps that up

squicken

Running QBs is not the answer. They are exciting but how much is it actually working and how long does it last? Sure RG3 took a shitty WSH team and turned them into a playoff contender, but he's now injured. Both Wilson and Kap benefit from being on high calibur teams. The rest were either injured multiple times in the year (Locker / Vick) or it didn't really help the team.

You put a Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, or Drew Brees on the 49ers and they create a football dynasty.

Peyton, Brees and Brady cost $20m a year. Rodgers will too. Kap and Wilson were 2nd and 3rd round picks and cost less than $10m combined over 4 years. Who cares if they can't last 3 years?

ari

Banned
With no interesting story or angle for the sports networks to cover for this Superbowl matchup can we just all start focusing on the real Superbowl - the draft - now?
Joe flacco gonna get his ring along with a superbowl mvp trophy. Shouldn't we take a moment and ponder that for a few weeks?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
squicken said:
He's not a running QB in the sense that he is not an option QB, but he is a running QB relative to his peers.
It has more to do with Seattle playcalling and Wilson being up for the task. He's indisputably a mobile QB, but he's not somebody in the traditional running QB mold where he can run and also kinda throw.

Fewest pass attempts while tying most pass TDs by a rookie, though? Interesting.

Peyton, Brees and Brady cost $20m a year. Rodgers will too. Kap and Wilson were 2nd and 3rd round picks and cost less than $10m combined over 4 years. Who cares if they can't last 3 years?
Teams not wanting to go QB hunting again.

verbum

He's not a running QB in the sense that he is not an option QB, but he is a running QB relative to his peers. He broke Alex Smith's record for fewest attempts by a 16 game starter. Alex had 445, Russel had 393.

Rushing yards:

RG3 815
Newton 741
Wilson 489
Kap 415
Vick 332
Locker 291
Rodgers 259

Heck, he might have been the 2nd or 3rd best QB in football last year by the end of the season. Game is changing. He's part of it.

Yea, what he said.
I know a big thing that hurt the Falcons was keeping that spy on Kap. We had to do it but we got burned for it. Limited his running but opened up Vernon Davis.
Seems like football is going back to the 1940/50's.
What defense is better for a read option? 3-4 or 4-3?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Why are people saying the game will be boring?

Both these teams have been scoring 20+ each gane so far this post season.

You put a Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, or Drew Brees on the 49ers and they create a football dynasty. Kap is good and exciting, but a) Can't compete against a true elite pocket QB, b) Won't last 3 seasons if he keeps that up
I would have been with you prior to this year but I'm honestly starting to think that the Kaep/Wilson/RGIII style QB could be the way of the future. I'm not completely convinced yet but it's hard to look past how impressive these guys have been this year.

Kaep and Wilson do benefit from quality teams, there's no doubt about that, but both guys have shown that they can get it done with their feet or their arm. They are legitimate dual-threat QB's in the sense that they can beat you almost completely with one or the other. Just look at Kaep in the playoffs, the guy destroyed GB by running but then beat Atlanta almost entirely as a pocket passer. Maybe defenses will adjust next year and we will find that this style of QB is more of a fad than anything but at this point I'm really starting to at least sip the kool-aid.

The injury concern is of course valid but considering how durable Kaep and Wilson have been I don't think we have any serious reason to believe that this type of QB has to be much more injury prone than a traditional style QB. Not every QB that can run will be as reckless or fragile as Michael Vick.

What is the "can't compete against a true elite pocket QB" point based on? Certainly not this season, right? And the playoffs aren't really supporting that seemingly outdated line of thinking either, as evidenced by Kaep's performances against GB and ATL (although I wouldn't go so far as to call Matt Ryan "elite").

The real difference with these guys to me is that just because they can run doesn't mean the are always looking to run (like Mike Vick tended to do). That is an extremely important distinction, and it's something that makes them different from what we typically think of when we talk about running QB's. Heck, even Tannehill has the potential to develop as a legitimate QB in the same mold as some of these guys once he gets some weapons, the guy played WR for two years in college and his scrambling ability and decision making improved drastically towards the end of the year.

Pezking

Fuck Ray Lewis. He has already won a ring! So why is his "story" such a big deal right now?

Why is everybody forgetting the other future hall of famer who has yet to win a superbowl: Randy Moss?

I guess if you're not born-again murderer who publicly starts speaking in tongues after every game, you're not interesting enough for ESPN.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why are people saying the game will be boring?

Both these teams have been scoring 20+ each gane so far this post season.

If their team isn't in it, it will be boring, c'mon man

I really think this will be a stand-out SB

I don't see a blowout happening, might even come down to the last play with these 2 teams

They match up very well

SF has the edge with VD though, I think a 31-24 SF or a 24-21 BAL score can happen

squicken

Teams not wanting to go QB hunting again.

It's going to be easier to find 90% of Kap and Wilson than it has been to find 90% of Brady and Manning. So much of the "pro-style" is audibling and going through progressions. Very few QBs have been able to do that at an elite level. It's why the same guys made the playoffs year after year

This will be a big topic in the offseason. But the economics of QBs will be changing

GraveRobberX

Fuck Ray Lewis. He has already won a ring! So why is his "story" such a big deal right now?

John Elway riding into the sunset moment at the top by winning it all

Why is everybody forgetting the other future hall of famer who has yet to win a superbowl: Randy Moss?

I guess if you're not born-again murderer who publicly starts speaking in tongues after every game, you're not interesting enough for ESPN.

Randy isn't considered the Randy Moss of old
Remember he was on the New England Patriots and their 18-1 season, so he has already been to the SB just like Ray Lewis
(He hasn't announced his retirement, so that's why it isn't a big story)
He's just a WR trying to get by hoping to win a ring, there's no drama for ESPN there
Now if he had mooned the Falcons and had Joe Buck be disgusted and create a national shit-storm for it then maybe
Also isn't Lewis going to be an analyst for ESPN?
How about being the fluffer right away to your new analyst

I would have been with you prior to this year but I'm honestly starting to think that the Kaep/Wilson/RGIII style QB could be the way of the future. I'm not completely convinced yet but it's hard to look past how impressive these guys have been this year.

Kaep and Wilson do benefit from quality teams, there's no doubt about that, but both guys have shown that they can get it done with their feet or their arm. They are legitimate dual-threat QB's in the sense that they can beat you almost completely with one or the other. Just look at Kaep in the playoffs, the guy destroyed GB by running but then beat Atlanta almost entirely as a pocket passer. Maybe defenses will adjust next year and we will find that this style of QB is more of a fad than anything but at this point I'm really starting to at least sip the kool-aid.

The injury concern is of course valid but considering how durable Kaep and Wilson have been I don't think we have any serious reason to believe that this type of QB has to be much more injury prone than a traditional style QB. Not every QB that can run will be as reckless or fragile as Michael Vick.

What is the "can't compete against a true elite pocket QB" point based on? Certainly not this season, right? And the playoffs aren't really supporting that seemingly outdated line of thinking either, as evidenced by Kaep's performances against GB and ATL (although I wouldn't go so far as to call Matt Ryan "elite").

The real difference with these guys to me is that just because they can run doesn't mean the are always looking to run (like Mike Vick tended to do). That is an extremely important distinction, and it's something that makes them different from what we typically think of when we talk about running QB's. Heck, even Tannehill has the potential to develop as a legitimate QB in the same mold as some of these guys once he gets some weapons, the guy played WR for two years in college and his scrambling ability and decision making improved drastically towards the end of the year.

I believe the offenses are changing sure, but how long before all the defenses adjust? I'm just happy that we beat the trend once again, we already have a super athletic QB in Ryan Mallett.

Ryan+Mallett+New+England+Patriots+v+Tampa+hBlF2pWwS4Sl.jpg

Athletic freak!

verbum

It's going to be easier to find 90% of Kap and Wilson than it has been to find 90% of Brady and Manning. So much of the "pro-style" is audibling and going through progressions. Very few QBs have been able to do that at an elite level. It's why the same guys made the playoffs year after year

This will be a big topic in the offseason. But the economics of QBs will be changing

About how much do you see the top contract in the 2013 draft going for with this draft?
Lot's of FA will be floating around as well. Will the Rams let Harvey Dahl go?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That "yards before touched" stat Kaep got a couple weeks ago is really impressive in this regard.

I believe the offenses are changing sure, but how long before all the defenses adjust? I'm just happy that we beat the trend once again, we already have a super athletic QB in Ryan Mallett.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Ryan+Mallett+New+England+Patriots+v+Tampa+hBlF2pWwS4Sl.jpg

Athletic freak!
It'll be interesting to see how defenses change next year, for sure. I'm just saying man, at some point it doesn't matter what kind of adjustments you make, you just can't account for every option in that Ronnie Brown based wildcat package!

eznark

Banned
That "yards before touched" stat Kaep got a couple weeks ago is really impressive in this regard.

That's all Capers.

Again, it's about the threat of running. Kelly calls it a QBs ability to block without touching anyone and he's right. The ability to run can freeze an end or LB as much as a lead blocker. Rodgers could be successful out of a read option look with ease.

Decided to look at all the upcoming free agents for the Pats.

1. Julian Edelman WR UFA - Will probably try to re-sign him, tried to implement him this year, but with all the injuries, I'm not sure I want him
  2. Aqib Talib CB UFA - Seems like a must to lock him up, but given his price they might not
  3. Sebastian Vollmer T UFA - Really hope to resign him, he seems to beat the injuries and play at a high level once again.
  4. Wes Welker WR UFA - It might be time to say goodbye, I don't want to but it might be the case, they can always just tag him again.
  5. Will Allen S UFA - Isn't he already gone?
  6. Kyle Arrington CB UFA - Some team will either overpay him, or we pay him a small deal and keep him as insurance.
  7. Josh Barrett S UFA - Gone
  8. Ron Brace DT UFA - Waisted 2nd round pick, will be gone
  9. Deion Branch WR UFA - Probably same deal as last year where he will wait till somebody gets injured or Brady needs a hug.
  10. Patrick Chung S UFA - Might want too much money for what he's worth, think he's out.
  11. Marquice Cole CB UFA - Will be replaced with another small name CB probably, or gets resigned for his ST skills
  12. Dane Fletcher LB RFA - Losing him might have sucked more than we thought this year, maybe he can cover somebody instead of Spikes on third down. Will be back.
  13. Marcus Harrison DT UFA - PS or gone
  14. Michael Hoomanawanui TE RFA - Will depend on Ballard his return
  15. Niko Koutouvides LB UFA - Might sign a new deal, ST guy
  16. Derrick Martin CB UFA - Probably gone
  17. Jamey Richard G UFA - PS or gone
  18. Trevor Scott DE UFA - Hasn't shown a whole lot, not the Mark Anderson people hoped he could be, maybe a new 1 year deal.
  19. Donte Stallworth WR UFA - Branch situation
  20. Donald Thomas G UFA - Really hope they re-sign him, did great when he had to fill in this year, would be nice depth
  21. Ross Ventrone CB RFA - Mr Really, PS super star
  22. Tracy White LB UFA - fastest LB on the team, that was his thing, might not be needed with Fletcher/new additions to the LB squad.
  23. Danny Woodhead RB UFA - Think they re-sign him, team loves him, coaches love him, Vereen can do most of what he does, but 4 RB's seems like a nice amount.

Interesting list, some quality guys on that that might walk.

squicken

About how much do you see the top contract in the 2013 draft going for with this draft?
Lot's of FA will be floating around as well. Will the Rams let Harvey Dahl go?

Dahl's best attribute was that he was the only Rams offensive lineman who could stay healthy the last two years, and then he got hurt and missed the last two games. $4m next year will be a tough pill, b/c he's not worth that from a production standpoint, will be 32, and now injuries are a concern. But they already need to upgrade RT and LG, and Wells is a bigger question mark with his health. Unless they loved one of the replacement guards they were using I think they bring him back. Too many other holes to try and fix another

$25m total over 4 years I think for the first pick. Owners get very cheap labor if they nail their draft picks

verbum

Need Pats fans to man up and get back in the thread. My blood pressure is feeling a bit low, need more salt!

iqja2PMCxwmu1.gif

Slightly salted.
From Patriot Pulpit:
1. Tom Brady is no longer a successful playoff quarterback

2. The New England Patriots are the Indianapolis Colts of the 2000s

3. New England's defense was not the reason why the Pats lost this game

4. Wes Welker does not deserve to get a massive contract

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/1/20/3898408/ravens-vs-patriots-what-we-learned-from-the-afc-championship-game#comments

GraveRobberX

Instead of wishing for a meteor like some people did,can we hope Katrina hits the Super Dome?

Please God No

SNF announcers will never ever STFU if we have another Katrina

Katrina 1.0 + Katrina 2.0 + Jimmy "Had a Hard Upbringing, Played Basketball" Graham + Drew Brees sets new record never even kept in the NFL record-books

Miguel

Please God No

SNF announcers will never ever STFU if we have another Katrina

Katrina 1.0 + Katrina 2.0 + Jimmy "Had a Hard Upbringing, Played Basketball" Graham + Drew Brees sets new record never even kept in the NFL record-books

Most times trying to drum up fan sympathy while saying they're not trying to make anything public.

saintsraisingfinger_crop_340x234.jpg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Did fv post at all yesterday? I hope he's not hung up making that faq or whatever.

And did bucket give an eta for the SB thread?

Decided to look at all the upcoming free agents for the Pats.

1. Julian Edelman WR UFA - Will probably try to re-sign him, tried to implement him this year, but with all the injuries, I'm not sure I want him
  2. Aqib Talib CB UFA - Seems like a must to lock him up, but given his price they might not
  3. Sebastian Vollmer T UFA - Really hope to resign him, he seems to beat the injuries and play at a high level once again.
  4. Wes Welker WR UFA - It might be time to say goodbye, I don't want to but it might be the case, they can always just tag him again.
  5. Will Allen S UFA - Isn't he already gone?
  6. Kyle Arrington CB UFA - Some team will either overpay him, or we pay him a small deal and keep him as insurance.
  7. Josh Barrett S UFA - Gone
  8. Ron Brace DT UFA - Waisted 2nd round pick, will be gone
  9. Deion Branch WR UFA - Probably same deal as last year where he will wait till somebody gets injured or Brady needs a hug.
  10. Patrick Chung S UFA - Might want too much money for what he's worth, think he's out.
  11. Marquice Cole CB UFA - Will be replaced with another small name CB probably, or gets resigned for his ST skills
  12. Dane Fletcher LB RFA - Losing him might have sucked more than we thought this year, maybe he can cover somebody instead of Spikes on third down. Will be back.
  13. Marcus Harrison DT UFA - PS or gone
  14. Michael Hoomanawanui TE RFA - Will depend on Ballard his return
  15. Niko Koutouvides LB UFA - Might sign a new deal, ST guy
  16. Derrick Martin CB UFA - Probably gone
  17. Jamey Richard G UFA - PS or gone
  18. Trevor Scott DE UFA - Hasn't shown a whole lot, not the Mark Anderson people hoped he could be, maybe a new 1 year deal.
  19. Donte Stallworth WR UFA - Branch situation
  20. Donald Thomas G UFA - Really hope they re-sign him, did great when he had to fill in this year, would be nice depth
  21. Ross Ventrone CB RFA - Mr Really, PS super star
  22. Tracy White LB UFA - fastest LB on the team, that was his thing, might not be needed with Fletcher/new additions to the LB squad.
  23. Danny Woodhead RB UFA - Think they re-sign him, team loves him, coaches love him, Vereen can do most of what he does, but 4 RB's seems like a nice amount.

Interesting list, some quality guys on that that might walk.

I could see Hoomanawanui staying and Fells getting cut; he jumped over Fells in the depth chart, and Fells ended up being a healthy scratch the weeks we had both Hernandez and Gronk. I think Woodhead gets re-signed and Bolden will be gone, especially with Jeff Demps being healthy and probable gameshape next year.

I really hope Talib gets resigned, but Brace and Chung won't be in Pats uniforms next year. Like you said, Brace has been a bust of a 2nd rounder, and Chung fell down the depth chart hard this year.

jakncoke

Banned
Did fv post at all yesterday? I hope he's not hung up making that faq or whatever.

And did bucket give an eta for the SB thread?

Too busy watching listening to music no ones heard of, drinking wine reviewers havent reviewed and watching artsy fartsy movies to make no dang OP!

classy..........

I bet he stabbed those 2 people in a classy manner too, maybe he was listening Its hip to be square?

So does anyone think the Pats have a legitimate shot at winning a SB with Brady before he retires? It's starting to look less and less likely to me. It'd be a shame if he went out without winning a ring, but that's just how it goes for some of the greats.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So does anyone think the Pats have a legitimate shot at winning a SB with Brady before he retires? It's starting to look less and less likely to me. It'd be a shame if he went out without winning a ring, but that's just how it goes for some of the greats.

Their division is filled with clown cars, so they'll be in the playoffs for the foreseeable future. So they'll have chances, but they have a serious weakness. They're too soft.

Their division is filled with clown cars, so they'll be in the playoffs for the foreseeable future. So they'll have chances, but they have a serious weakness. They're too soft.
The Dolphins will make believers out of you people next year thanks to the ingenuity of Mr. Ireland. Just you wait. And yes, I said "you people."

I'm not really feeling it anymore. A whole lot of things would need to fall into place perfectly for a SB win, including the hunt for a real WR, be it via draft of FA/trading. Plus Brady would have to step his own game up and we have luck when it comes to injuries.

I would say he has 2/3 years in NE left, that's a mighty small window. And what worries me the most is how every play off loss has been the same for 4/5 years now and that sucks. None of the problems have really been fixed.

The D-line needs depth. We were getting decent pressure until Kyle Love came out of the game with a knee injury, and with him not next to Wilfork that negated his effectiveness. Chandler only playing sparingly with the ankle didn't help, either.

Belichick & Brady might have a great relationship, but Belichick's "calm, cool & collected" shit is getting too old for the other players. Pats have no fire anymore.

bionic77

The Pats no talent on defense and Tammy can't throw the ball deep anymore.

They have great coaches who can disguise a lot of those things, but these flaws always become exposed in the playoffs.

This is the weakest the AFC has been in a long time so it is only going to get harder from now on.

I didn't say it last night but I was really impressed with Kaepernick. That is not how I expect a 2nd year player to play in a dome in the championship game. He was super composed, did not waste a single timeout, and even made the correct change to the call at the LOS.

I hate both teams and I am still rooting for the volcano but if I am being objective it seems like San Fran is going to win it easily unless this Crabtree rape things blows up and fucks up the team's mindset.

Top Bottom