• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

Seriously feeling good about our matchup this week. Prediction:

Ravens 44
Patriots 10
Pats injured by Bernard Pollard 3

images

JCizzle

I think it will be great if ATL sits back in a zone and overcompensates because of CK's good rushing game. When given a predictable defense, like the Bear's game, he's shown he can be very successful. It will be even better if ATL is hesitant to send pressure because they're worried about him slipping through into the next level. Please don't let me down Nolan, you owe us !

jmdajr

Also it seems the Pats can plug in a blind zombie into their offense and get success. For Texans if it's not Foster,AJ, or Daniels we can't do crap.

Just goes to show

Brady/Bill>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.... infinity>Matt/Kubes

see5harp

And I'm talking about the history of the NFL. QBs who can scramble/run to create passing plays and stand in the pocket and throw accurately when needed will always be infinitely more successful than those who are over reliant on their ability to run.

I think Kap is much more accurate than Alex Smith on medium to long throws. Alex took maybe 2 shots a game and the majority of time throws check downs, screen passes, and quick slants. Sure he was efficient but they weren't able to win shootouts with him. Kap will get better with his touch. He's only played a half of a season.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Seriously feeling good about our matchup this week. Prediction:

Ravens 44
Patriots 10
Pats injured by Bernard Pollard 3

I'm pulling for the Ravens but how long will the Rex Grossman style chuck it deep offense last?

I'm also curious to see how Wilson and Caepernick do in a second season. I always think back to Vick, Scam, and Derek Anderson when I see QBs having a great year like this out of nowhere.

I'm pulling for the Ravens but how long will the Rex Grossman style chuck it deep offense last?

I'm also curious to see how Wilson and Caepernick do in a second season. I always think back to Vick, Scam, and Derek Anderson when I see QBs having a great year like this out of nowhere.

I think Kap is in good hands with Harbough. Wilson, not so much.

JCizzle

Do you also think back on QBs like Aaron, Brees and Brady who had to get started somewhere despite doubts surrounding them? Obviously it's far too early to put CK or Wilson anywhere near those guys, but just something to consider.

The one thing that worries me a bit with Kaep is that we've kinda abandoned the power run game because he can't quite handle snaps under center comfortably. Gore doesn't run as well in the pistol and we really haven't seen much of the jumbo package since..

Miguel

Maybe it's just me but Kaepernick's arm motion/delivery looks like something out of a 1950s NFL video. I'd have to go back and try to figure out exactly why, but I felt like the video should have been all sepia'd out when watching the Niners/Packers game

JCizzle

The one thing that worries me a bit with Kaep is that we've kinda abandoned the power run game because he can't quite handle snaps under center comfortably. Gore doesn't run as well in the pistol and we really haven't seen much of the jumbo package since..

I'm hoping we get LMJ in space a lot on that turf. Get him outside, screen passes, etc. - whatever it takes.

Sanjuro

Also it seems the Pats can plug in a blind zombie into their offense and get success. For Texans if it's not Foster,AJ, or Daniels we can't do crap.

Just goes to show

Brady/Bill>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.... infinity>Matt/Kubes

People are skewed from the Moss/Welker/Gronk talent pool. During our Super Bowls pretty sure the only Pro Bowl receiver Brady threw to was Terry Glenn.

Maybe it's just me but Kaepernick's arm motion/delivery looks like something out of a 1950s NFL video. I'd have to go back and try to figure out exactly why, but I felt like the video should have been all sepia'd out when watching the Niners/Packers game

Mechanically, I have no idea how he does it. Kind of the same logic as a baseball player with an ugly swing. Still getting it done, just not sure how.

His delivery and throwing motion was a major reason why he wasn't a first round pick..

brentech

I think Kap is in good hands with Harbough. Wilson, not so much.
If anything, Kaep is in good hands, but might be put into a more predictable offense. Wilson's success is a product of him extending plays, not really the actual offensive schemes. He'll just need future WRs that know how to play with a QB that's going to need them to find space.

see5harp

Yea, I am interested to see whether that kind of a performance can translate long term. The only guy I know we'll probably lose in the off season in Delanie Walker, and hell we might be better off drafting a young guy and letting him walk. I really think they need to get Crabtree locked in though, I've been listening to talk radio this morning, and nearly no one is saying anything about Crabtree. He's done a complete 180 from his first couple seasons and has really become the #1 option. He was getting double teams on 3rd down, I really hope VD can finally get some looks.

harSon

Banned
Let's not forget Wilson has had 18 starts to Kap's 8. Alternatively, Kap has held a clipboard for 27 games to Wilson's 0.

Personally, 80% of plays by a QB are not great indications of their talent, so it's far more difficult to judge. I've also watched far more Niners games than Seahawks, and I'm biased.

IMO however, Wilson has not made the types of passes that Kap has, and I give Kap the advantage in passing talent. Three throws in particular: The 2nd TD to Crab on Saturday, the 1st TD pass to Crab against the Pats, and the 50 yard bomb to Kyle Williams against the Bears.

You don't throw a ball better than that.

That's actually a positive in Kaepershit's favor. More games = More Tape = Better ability for defenses to gameplan = Young QBs do worst.

LevelNth

Banned
We did run less than 10% of plays out of the pistol against the Dolphins, so clearly Harbs is going back and forth to make us a nightmare to gameplan on.

And Gore did rush for over 100 this weekend. I'm ok with that.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
That's actually a positive in Kaepershit's favor. More games = More Tape = Better ability for defenses to gameplan = Young QBs do worst.

So bitter. SF could roll out a clone of Montana in his prime right now and I bet you'd say he's mediocre and that Brady was better.

If anything, Kaep is in good hands, but might be put into a more predictable offense. Wilson's success is a product of him extending plays, not really the actual offensive schemes. He'll just need future WRs that know how to play with a QB that's going to need them to find space.

Yeah it's amazing how many Seattle plays on offense amount to plays breaking down and Russell being forced to run around waiting for a WR to come open. I think that's why Zach gets so many looks. For me (could be wrong) but the entire Redskins game hinged on that first third down conversion Zach made after the Redskins went up 14. Russell definitely got a lot of good experience this year. Two amazing comebacks in the playoffs. If I were a Seahawks fan, I wouldn't be depressed after that loss for too long.

LevelNth

Banned
This is true, but I don't think much of a factor between the two. The issue with both is not having an offseason to study them, just a week or two to gameplan around them.

This will be something both face next year, so it will be interesting to see how that affects them. RGIII as well.

So here's a question, take out scrambling and rushing and all that jazz. Purely pocket passer, who do you take? Wilson, Kap or RGIII?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Do you also think back on QBs like Aaron, Brees and Brady who had to get started somewhere despite doubts surrounding them? Obviously it's far too early to put CK or Wilson anywhere near those guys, but just something to consider.

I guess certain styles of QB play I'm more leery about. I don't doubt that Luck will have success in the future and I think RG3 will be great if they can develop the pass more than his run. I just think the sample size on both needs to grow to determine long term success for either Wilson or Kaepernick.

eznark

Banned
This is true, but I don't think much of a factor between the two. The issue with both is not having an offseason to study them, just a week or two to gameplan around them.

This will be something both face next year, so it will be interesting to see how that affects them. RGIII as well.

So here's a question, take out scrambling and rushing and all that jazz. Purely pocket passer, who do you take? Wilson, Kap or RGIII?

Right now I'll take Wilson. Just has played more intelligently with significantly worse receivers. It's crazy to me that despite the shit caliber of player he is throwing to he has a better completion percentage. Next September, after Kaepernick has had a year to refine his game knowing he is the starter? Easily could be him.

IRGIII coming off his second catastrophic knee injury I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

RGIII. I've said it before but I can't recall Wilson being mega successful from inside the pocket.

Right now I'll take Wilson. Just has played more intelligently with significantly worse receivers. Next September, after Kaepernick has had a year to refine his game knowing he is the starter? Easily could be him.

IRGIII coming off his second catastrophic knee injury I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.
Agreed on all points, but the IRGIII one makes me sad. :(

harSon

Banned
So bitter. SF could roll out a clone of Montana in his prime right now and I bet you'd say he's mediocre and that Brady was better.

The only Niners related people that I've hated on are Harbaugh, Alex Smith and Kaepershit. Harbaugh is a career long choker, bipolar and the only thing he's consistent at is beating his family. Alex Smith has midget hands, sucked for 95% of his career but has recently evolved into game manager extraordinaire. Kaepershit's head is too small for his body, doesn't have to worry about back handed racist comments like "being well-spoken," is a mediocre QB and sucks at everything in life except running and being a human canvas.

I've never said anything about a Niner that isn't 100% true and undeserving.

cdyhybrid

If SF can get any pass rush at all and Kaep doesn't throw the game, I don't see the Niners winning by any less than double digits.

Yeah it's amazing how many Seattle plays on offense amount to plays breaking down and Russell being forced to run around waiting for a WR to come open. I think that's why Zach gets so many looks. For me (could be wrong) but the entire Redskins game hinged on that first third down conversion Zach made after the Redskins went up 14. Russell definitely got a lot of good experience this year. Two amazing comebacks in the playoffs. If I were a Seahawks fan, I wouldn't be depressed after that loss for too long.

Well, we know here in NFL-Age that the comeback is bigger than the win!

see5harp

They are reporting that RGIII is going to need multiple surgeries in the off season. It's more seroius than what AP went though so it would be amazing to even see if RGIII ever is the same quarterback as even his rookie season.

SonnyBoy

RGIII. I've said it before but I can't recall Wilson being mega successful from inside the pocket.

Agreed. RGIII is the best passer of all three. That being said, he's also the worst runner.

They are reporting that RGIII is going to need multiple surgeries in the off season. It's more seroius than what AP went though so it would be amazing to even see if RGIII ever is the same quarterback as even his rookie season.

Where are you seeing reports of him needing multiple surgeries?

Speaking of injuries and all that, Wilson deserves some recognition for how durable he's been this year, I think. He's also been very smart about avoiding big hits and knowing when to slide from what I've seen.

see5harp

Agreed. RGIII is the best passer of all three. That being said, he's also the worst runner.

Where are you seeing reports of him needing multiple surgeries?

I just heard someone on ESPN radio state that he might not even be ready for opening day and that was both MCL and ACL.

Speaking of injuries and all that, Wilson deserves some recognition for how durable he's been this year, I think. He's also been very smart about avoiding big hits and knowing when to slide from what I've seen.

I think it's pretty amazing at how he moves when pressure comes. I've said it before but he reminds me of Doug Flutie.

SonnyBoy

Yea, he deserves a ton of credit for that. His time in baseball definitely shows in his ability to slide well. He also has a great feel for pressure.

I just heard someone on ESPN radio state that he might not even be ready for opening day and that was both MCL and ACL.

Yeah, everything has already been taken care of. He started rehab the very next day with Dr. Andrews.

Why kind of secondary coverage do you guys think Ravens should play against the Patriot offensive?

The Texans tried going man to man but they got smoked with slant routes through the middle short field. The corners gave to much room between te line of scrimmage and the 5 yard line, letting receivers run free.

I think Ravens should play zone, but have the middle linebackers crowd the short field forcing Brady to throw long. Hopefully this will allow Reed to catch a few interceptions

see5harp

I do think Wilson seems to get out of the pocket easiest out of all of the young QB's but I rarely ever see him slide. He goes head first with nearly every run and that sorta worries me. Kaep will either hit the sideline and get out of bounds or will slide in the middle of the field. Both have been healthy so it's hard to say whether or not Kaep is a better decision maker. Many times you won't know that until you look at someone over the course of a career or at least a few seasons.

EDIT: I suppose Kaep had some issues fumbling the ball with snaps but when he's out in the open field I haven't seen him make a ton of mistakes.

eznark

Banned
^ Uh, I think you must be thinking of someone else. Wilson is the quickest to go down with a slide.

The thing I like about Wilson is his ability to sense and react to pressure while continuing to look downfield. He isn't a runner. He runs out of necessity. He is always moving around the pocket with the ball in a position to throw. Kaepernick is a run second guy. If his first read is covered and he sees a lane he is gone (that's why he has those massive gains at times). Wilson doesn't run until essentially forced. It's definitely what I prefer when evaluating mobile quarterbacks. Reduces hits, takes advantage of defensive breakdowns and is effective against zones and man. The one read to sprint is often a short gain if the defense is in zone. Give receivers time to find holes against a zone and you have multiple options downfield. Against man it's a defensive trainwreck.

SonnyBoy

The ONLY silver lining that I've found in RGIII's injury is that his knee is finally be fixed correctly this time. The previous ACL fix wasn't done to the level of Dr. Andrew, so while I wish he was healthy, this has potentially prevented a future occurrence. Hopefully.

harSon

Banned
^ Uh, I think you must be thinking of someone else. Wilson is the quickest to go down with a slide.

The thing I like about Wilson is his ability to sense and react to pressure while continuing to look downfield. He isn't a runner. He runs out of necessity. He is always moving around the pocket with the ball in a position to throw. Kaepernick is a run second guy. If his first read is covered and he sees a lane he is gone (that's why he has those massive gains at times). Wilson doesn't run until essentially forced. It's definitely what I prefer when evaluating mobile quarterbacks. Reduces hits, takes advantage of defensive breakdowns and is effective against zones and man. The one read to sprint is often a short gain if the defense is in zone. Give receivers time to find holes against a zone and you have multiple options downfield.

Yup, he's like Roethlisberger in that regard. My only knock against Wilson is his height. Dude has to drop WAY back into the back field to clear his vision down field.

The thing I like about Wilson is his ability to sense and react to pressure while continuing to look downfield. He isn't a runner. He runs out of necessity. He is always moving around the pocket with the ball in a position to throw. Kaepernick is a run second guy. If his first read is covered and he sees a lane he is gone (that's why he has those massive gains at times). Wilson doesn't run until essentially forced. It's definitely what I prefer when evaluating mobile quarterbacks. Reduces hits, takes advantage of defensive breakdowns and is effective against zones and man. The one read to sprint is often a short gain if the defense is in zone. Give receivers time to find holes against a zone and you have multiple options downfield.
Yes, this is exactly how I feel about him as well (I'm agreeing with you a lot today, it seems). This is the same reason why I always laugh at people who talk about Logan Thomas from VT being a potential NFL QB, the guy has absolutely zero pocket awareness and doesn't know how to even slightly move to avoid taking a sack or getting hit, along with his various other issues like having horrible accuracy and missing reads consistently. Bit of a mini-rant there but the contrast puts into perspective just how good Wilson has been.

RBH

Coach Smith: John Abraham re-tweaked his ankle, but we anticipate he will be back with us on the field by the end of the week.
https://twitter.com/Atlanta_Falcons/status/290905349131759617

Atlanta Falcons defensive end John Abraham re-injured his left ankle in Sunday's divisional playoff game, missing the second half as the Seahawks rallied to erase a 20-point deficit, but said he'll be back for the NFC Championship Game.

"Oh yeah, you know me, you can't keep me out of that game," Abraham, who led the Falcons with 10 sacks this season, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "We're going to treat the (heck) out of it."

The Falcons will host the San Francisco 49ers next Sunday with the winner advancing to the Super Bowl against either the New England Patriots or Baltimore Ravens.

Abraham, who originally sprained the ankle in Week 17, aggravated the injury in the second quarter.

"After awhile, I just couldn't push off of it anymore," he told the newspaper.

The Falcons led 20-0 at halftime and 27-7 entering the fourth quarter only to squander the lead. They escaped with a 30-28 victory thanks to Matt Bryant's 49-yard field goal with eight seconds remaining.

The 34-year-old Abraham has 122 sacks in his 13-season career.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/201...anta-falcons-vows-play-vs-san-francisco-49ers

cdyhybrid

Yup, he's like Roethlisberger in that regard. My only knock against Wilson is his height. Dude has to drop WAY back into the back field to clear his vision down field.

That's why the Rams held us to 20 points in the last regular season game. They kept him in the pocket basically the entire game and he had trouble seeing.

The ONLY silver lining that I've found in RGIII's injury is that his knee is finally be fixed correctly this time. The previous ACL fix wasn't done to the level of Dr. Andrew, so while I wish he was healthy, this has potentially prevented a future occurrence. Hopefully.

Corrected fully or not, going through that injury twice, he'll be lucky to 90% after recovery.

But a 90% RGIII is still the fastest QB in the nfl

Smokey

Houston is going crazy

I've heard calls for Colt McCoy, Vince Young, Keenum, yates..pretty entertaining day

Basically anybody who can run when stuff breaks down. I think yesterday was the final straw lol. Schaub escaping from the pocket and having nobody in front of him yet throws it in dirt. Then he escapes and fumbles the ball with nobody around him.

If you can't run you need an arm.
You can have an average arm if you can extend plays and pick up some yardage on your own if need be.

$60 million gets you none of that here lolz

eznark

Banned
That's why the Rams held us to 20 points in the last regular season game. They kept him in the pocket basically the entire game and he had trouble seeing.

I wonder how closely teams are going to watch those fucking Rams films. Between Kaepernick and Wilson they seem to have it pretty well figured out.

Top Bottom